Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

flowinlocks

Since discovering the wonders of Ayurveda my hair has made a 90 degree turn in terms of overall health. And although I will be the first to admit that I have jumped on a few bandwagons as far as growth aids and haircare products. I have since dropped most of them.

However Ayurvedic products have continued to be my staple throughout my journey. Needless to say I'm in for life.:grin: Not only do I love what it has done for my hair. I have used the Neem powder to clear acne on my dd's back and chest. I use the Vicco toothpaste and powder for healthier teeth and gums. I have also tried a few other powders for skincare and loved them.

I know there are others out there that love using Ayurveda products as much as I do and I would love to hear from you. This is not a challenge but more of a spin off of the Ayurveda support thread.

This will be thread for us to share ideas, get tips, swap recipes, and post result pics. if you choose to do so. If you are new to Ayurveda I encourage you to read some of the older threads before starting. There is a TON of information in them and it will help you to avoid setbacks from not using the powders correctly. Now, before you say "that's a lot of reading" let me say this. When I started out I subscribed to EVERY Ayurveda thread could get my hands on so I could read them at my leisure. Plus I wanted to read them in their entirety.

What I learned from doing that instead of just skimmimg through or asking a few questions and then jumping in feet first. Were the mishaps, the pro and cons in pastes vs teas, what to never do, why oiling the hair first is so important, keeping Shikakai out of the eyes and the list goes on forever.

So yes you can get some of your questions answered but it's nothing like reading up on users actual experiences. Plus some of the veterans who are not here now were posting back then.

Sorry for rambling but I think if you are going to use ANY product on your hair you need to do your research first. With that said here are a few threads to do just that. Also keep in mind what works for one will not work for all, sometimes adjustments are needed to make it your own. :yep:

Ayurveda Support Thread

The AAA Experiment

Ayurveda warning Shikakai Cowash

Ayurveda Regimens - Dos and Don'ts when going Ayurvedic.

Homemade Ayurvedic Recipes.

Shikakai Oil

Do Y'all Henna
link to new thread is at the top. please read this one before you start. You will find the problems some had from adding things such as lemon juice, acv, etc. (which is not necessary)to the Henna.

6 month Ayurveda Challenge others are listed in the op.

Do you know how to make Ayurvedic oil infusions?

Be very careful when you use Shikakai Will burn eyes like crazy.:nono:

Henna Gone Wrong

For shopping Ayurnatural Beauty

That's it for now HHG ladies!!

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I am an Ayurveda lover.
I heart amla, vatika and neem oils for my hair. I use the amla and vatika for pre poo's and the neem i drop into a mixture of different oils. My co-workers are indian so I got the hook up from them.
Thanks for all the links op i have to look into them.

Minty

I don't use neem anymore (reaction), but I still use hibiscus, bringraj (sp), brahmi, and henna.

I do need some recipes.

flowinlocks

I am an Ayurveda lover.
I heart amla, vatika and neem oils for my hair. I use the amla and vatika for pre poo's and the neem i drop into a mixture of different oils. My co-workers are indian so I got the hook up from them.
Thanks for all the links op i have to look into them.

That's cool you have the hook up. Yea it's some good stuff in those links.

CaliDiamond

I make a hibiscus twisting butter:

Infuse sesame or ay other light oil with hibiscus and amla powder (sometimes maka) and let sit in a cool, dark cabinet for 6-8 weeks.

Mix with desired proportions of Shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil and enjoy!

Nasdaq_Diva

I've been using Ayurvedic Haircare for a little over a year now.

Touching on what FlowinLocks touched on..please take the time out to read previous Ayurvedic threads. They are plentiful indeed but full of so much information. I first read about Ayurvedic powders on this site as a lurker..I hadn't even registered yet. It took some time, and tons of reading before I felt I was knowledgeable to jump in and start this journey.

I use ayurveda in various parts of my life. From haircare, skincare, even oral care. I'd like to incorporate more into my dietary lifestyle as a whole as well. I am by no means an expert in Ayurveda, but I do love sharing what knowledge I do have with others.

Infuse sesame or ay other light oil with hibiscus and amla powder (sometimes maka) and let sit in a cool, dark cabinet for 6-8 weeks.

Mix with desired proportions of Shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil and enjoy!
Ooooh can you please tell me how much of each you use? I know everyone has diff. proportions..but I want at least the basic minimal to add to each one. How long does this twisting butter last you? This sounds sooooooooo need.

infojunkie

I will be following this thread closely. I love the cost and the ease with which I've been able to incorporate ayurveda into my natural hair regimen but I'd really like to expand into using it in other parts of my life, like skin and oral care.

Thanks OP, great thread.

Platinum

Great thread! I am a huge fan of Brahmi and Maka powders!:grin: I love using these powders for my Ayurvedic cowashes. I did these alot when I was natural. I have slacked on it but I plan to start back on it soon.

I usually mix one or both of the powders with a cone-free condish, a few drops of peppermint oil, and a little coconut or olive oil. Apply to damp hair, massage scalp for a few minutes, then let sit for atleast 30 minutes. I noticed stronger, healthier hair (even a growth spurt as well).

I love Henna as well. I mainly use it for strengthening and conditioning. My favorite brands are Reshma and Jamila.

Mrs. Verde

OP thanks for posting this thread. I have been contemplating using ayurveda products for a while. I have a few powders, but I had no idea how to use them. I appreciate you putting all of these links in on place so I can read up before I began using.

flowinlocks

I will be following this thread closely. I love the cost and the ease with which I've been able to incorporate ayurveda into my natural hair regimen but I'd really like to expand into using it in other parts of my life, like skin and oral care.

Thanks OP, great thread.

This is one of the first things that got me was the price. Very affordable.

Sounds yummy, I might have to make some myself.

Great thread! I am a huge fan of Brahmi and Maka powders!:grin: I love using these powders for my Ayurvedic cowashes. I did these alot when I was natural. I have slacked on it but I plan to start back on it soon.

I usually mix one or both of the powders with a cone-free condish, a few drops of peppermint oil, and a little coconut or olive oil. Apply to damp hair, massage scalp for a few minutes, then let sit for atleast 30 minutes. I noticed stronger, healthier hair (even a growth spurt as well).

I love Henna as well. I mainly use it for strengthening and conditioning. My favorite brands are Reshma and Jamila.

Another reason I love it!!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've slacked on using my ayurvedic stuff but I want to get back into a routine. I plan to add the powders and oils to my cowash conditioners.

MsWowFactor

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I am a big fan of Henna, Valtika and Alma... so i will be lurking and doing my research.. :lurking:

sheba1

I just lurrrve ayurveda! And I love what it's done for my hair when I use it. I get away from it from time to time but I always make it back home :yep:. I have a shikakai (sp?), amla and brahmi oil that use to oil my scalp and scritch before cowashes sometimes. I also like to do a tea cowash, diluting my Vo5 conditioner with amla and brahmi tea for a gentle and balancing wash.

Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate ayurveda into weave care? I was thinking of oiling my braids with coconut oil and doing the tea cowashes from above twice a week. Think that would be ok? How often would you think it would be necessary to DC? Any DC recommendations that won't cause a bunch of waxy build up? I'm going to test this reggie on braids under a wig before I do the full run in a weave.

flowinlocks

I just lurrrve ayurveda! And I love what it's done for my hair when I use it. I get away from it from time to time but I always make it back home :yep:. I have a shikakai (sp?), amla and brahmi oil that use to oil my scalp and scritch before cowashes sometimes. I also like to do a tea cowash, diluting my Vo5 conditioner with amla and brahmi tea for a gentle and balancing wash.

Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate ayurveda into weave care? I was thinking of oiling my braids with coconut oil and doing the tea cowashes from above twice a week. Think that would be ok? How often would you think it would be necessary to DC? Any DC recommendations that won't cause a bunch of waxy build up? I'm going to test this reggie on braids under a wig before I do the full run in a weave.

I have never tried it with a weave or braids, personally I wouldn't recommend it because I imagine the oiling and rinsing twice a week seems like would loosen the braids. Not sure about how the build up would be either. It might work with regular braids but the thread from the tracks could be an issue when trying to rinse properly. Depending on how fly my weave looked I wouldn't be trying to wet it twice a week, lol maybe twice a month.

Last edited:

Aggie

I had missed doing my ayurveda rinses and pastes treatments and this morning I got up and did a kalpi tone/amla powder paste and put it on my hair and scalp for 30 minutes. I plan to do some rinses as well and maybe mix the tea rinses in with my conditioners for a good ayur-commercial conditioning rinse.

My paste this morning consisted of:
2 Tbs amla powder
3 Tbs of Kalpi tone powder
2 Tbs amla/brahmi oil and hot water (enough to make a yogurt-like paste)
-I added the paste to pre-oiled hair and scalp and covered with a plastic cap for 30 minutes. I then cowashed it out with Joico Hydrating Conditioner. I usually use v05 Moisture Milks to wash out the paste/tea rinse.

Aggie

^^It sure does feel great FL. I want to do a tea rinse at least once a week but if I can manage to squeeze in 2 a week, I will. I did this one time while in extension braids so I know I can do it again with my own hair braided up.

Ltown

Greyland
I love the afroveda shikaki oil, I'm have to ordered more. I"m get my mxies together this weekend so I can at least spritz every week. I need some receipe for fengreek anyone have any suggestion Iand I don't see it mix much with any of the standard powders?

Last edited:

rosieposey

i just recently started using ayurvedic powders, oil, and soaps. I have fallen in love with this stuff! I DC every 2 weeks. As well as prepoo with Hairveda Cocasta oil. I do want to find a way to make a spritz for when my hair is in twists or braids.

Aggie

I love the afroveda shikaki oil, I'm have to ordered more. I"m get my mxies together this weekend so I can at least spritz every week. I need some receipe for fengreek anyone have any suggestion Iand I don't see it mix much with any of the standard powders?

I have a fenugreek recipe in my fotki. I use it alone sometimes and I sometimes I use it as a base for my henna mixes or even add other powders to it, allow them to steep, strain and pour over my hair andleave on for a few minutes. I do rinse it out with cheapie conditioner though because it makes your hair smell like food - sometimes it smells like maple syrup and other times it smells like curry. Go figure!

Aggie

i just recently started using ayurvedic powders, oil, and soaps. I have fallen in love with this stuff! I DC every 2 weeks. As well as prepoo with Hairveda Cocasta oil. I do want to find a way to make a spritz for when my hair is in twists or braids.

I tried the spritz method a while back and I loved it but there is one draw back. It always clogged up the nozzle of the spritzer bottle I used even though I strained it like a couple of times. I tried different types of spritzer bottles and the same thing always happened. Good luck with it though.

Aggie

As for me, this morning I did a kalpi tone/bhringraj/amla/shikakai tea rinse for one minute and now I am cowashing it out with some Tressemme Vitamin B1 Curl Moisturizing conditioner.

ETA: I kept my hair in big braids the whole time. can't afford to lose any hair from too much manipulation:nono:.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I added my amla/brahmi/bhrinraj/hibiscus mix to my dc with some amla oil. Will steam in a bit.

CaliDiamond

@NasdaqDiva
Small batch:
2-4 oz sesame oil
1 tsp hibiscus power

1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp castor oil
2 tsp shea butter

Last edited:

mkd

I am really loving tea rinses. Does anyone know how long I can leave them in my hair before rinsing?