Anyone DCing with Saran Wrap?

Lady Esquire

I have used saran wrap mostly after a rollerset, to get the silk wrap effect. I also saran wrap for my henna/indigo applications.

For the first time, I saran wrapped conditioner and sat under the dryer for about 45 mins to an hour (I was simultaneously detangling my DD's hair and lost track of time) so it could have been over an hour.

Anyway, my hair came out like BUTTER. Days later, my hair still feels strong yet moisturized. I have not had this feeling in a LONG time.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I usually use regular clear plastic caps. Do you normally use saran wrap and what are the benefits that you notice?

surecutie

I use saran wrap to DC but when I do I don't use heat because the one time I chose to do that I came out with split ends. Now, I apply my DC, saran wrap, put on a conditioning cap and let my body heat do its thing....much better on my ends.

Lady Esquire

I use saran wrap to DC but when I do I don't use heat because the one time I chose to do that I came out with split ends. Now, I apply my DC, saran wrap, put on a conditioning cap and let my body heat do its thing....much better on my ends.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to experiment with saran wrapping my DCs.

tri3nity

I am so trying this! I hate sitting under a dryer. But I never fell as if I get the real benefit of a deep condition without heat.

wheezy807

I saw a lady on YT do it. She said it gives more of a streaming effect. But i think she did a hot oil treatment. At first glance it seems more intense. I wanna try it soon. I'm not cooking so might as well use up the saran wrap, right?

Khaiya

I DC with saran wrap and heat, i dont have any splits, i've only found one or two on a few shed hairs but nothing to write home about. I love it - although i started doing it just cuz i didn't have a clear, plastic cap at the time but i liked it so much i've done it ever since. And yeah you do get more of a steam effect than wit just a plastic cap. I put my DC on, then the saran, then a cap on top and get under the dryer like that.

exoticmommie

If I want to leave it on for hours I will use a cheap plastic cap. And then I put a tight cap on top of that. Most times I work out (at home only) letting my body heat it, from working out.

I do the same thing after I steam. I put the cap on IMMEDIATELY afterward to capture it. And then rinse it out once it cools.

I don't have the patience to be saran wrapping just for a DC. :lol: So I figure the cap should be good enough.The cap looks something like this, but I bought a different brand. It had a lady on the picture.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Interesting! :scratchch It makes sense. The saran wrap would hold the moisture in better. I think I'm going to try using saran wrap with my next hot towel steam treatment. Thanks for sharing OP.

That's all that I use. As I'm typing, I'm sitting under the dryer w/ a plastic cap on and some silicon mix. My hair comes out like butta everytime. I don't get splits from doing this either.

PinkPebbles

The DCing with saran wrap is done at some Dominican salons. I had this done several years ago. It was a protein treatment on dry hair with saran wrap. I sat under the dryer for about 15 min.

Hypnotic_LT

I haven't tried it but I sure am going to now!!! I'm taking out my cornrows tonight, then going to clarify then condition, DC (with saran wrap n oils) Is it possible to do this over night m wash it out in the morning since I will have oils in it too?

Lady Esquire

The ladies that mentioned "more of a steaming effect" are right. The saran wrap trapped in more heat than a regular plastic cap would. I've had steam treatments done, and my hair felt just as soft and moisturized.

I'm planning to get a steamer eventually, but this may do the trick until then. I'll experiment with heat and without, to determine whether there's a difference. But for my coarse hair, DCs with heat have always been better.

Lady Esquire

I DC with saran wrap and heat, i dont have any splits, i've only found one or two on a few shed hairs but nothing to write home about. I love it - although i started doing it just cuz i didn't have a clear, plastic cap at the time but i liked it so much i've done it ever since. And yeah you do get more of a steam effect than wit just a plastic cap. I put my DC on, then the saran, then a cap on top and get under the dryer like that.

I'm going to try your method with the cap on top of the saran wrap. Thanks.

Khaiya

I haven't tried it but I sure am going to now!!! I'm taking out my cornrows tonight, then going to clarify then condition, DC (with saran wrap n oils) Is it possible to do this over night m wash it out in the morning since I will have oils in it too?

I dont know how that would work if the oils are all runny but i leave the saran on as long as i like, i find it sits more firmly than a plastic cap for me and stays on my head better, i dont have to worry about air getting in around the edges. I have slept in saran wrap overnight, i just put it on and then tie my scarf down over it (its not as noisy as a plastic cap either) Last time i woke up my hair was almost wet when i got up! There was evidently water inside the saran so i realized it worked like a steam treatment.

I find the steaming effect is better for me when i put a cap or a turbie or something over it.

Bnster

How do you put up your hair if it is wet?

1) do you still do a wrap or
2) do you bunch it up off the neck and pack it down then saran wrap?

I am guessing the latter.

Lady Esquire

:yep: My hair is short now so that is what I did. But I am wondering what the long-haired ladies are doing.

Khaiya

My hair isn't long, i'm about an inch away from APL but i twist my hair at the base of my neck and then pin the tail up on top of my head......hope that makes sense. There've been times when i do like 2 big bantu knots too.

HeChangedMyName

yep! I use saran wrap to DC both my hair and DD hair. I also put the plastic cap on over top to make sure I get everything juiced in.

MSLONG

Thanks for the tip. I am going to experiment with saran wrapping my DCs.

This is exactly what I do. I put one of those plastic caps on and then I wrap my entire head with saran wrap. I've used only moisturizing conditioners with all of the saran treatments I've done so far. I mainly do this when I get 7+ weeks post relaxer as I have very fine hair that is easily weighed down. The end result is hair that is super soft, shiny and easily detangled.....stretching is a breeze!!!:yep:

I wonder what type of results I would get using a protein conditioner?

Last edited:

surecutie

I don't wrap or bunch my hair. I simply make one twist at the base of my neck and then fold it to the top of my head and secure with a Good Hair day pin before saran wrapping.

PinkPebbles

Just wanted to report that I tried the DC with Saran Wrap and loved it!

It's a big difference between a regular shower cap. My hair was softer and much more moisturized.

I will incorporate this into my DC regimen.

OP - thanks for this thread.

Diva_Esq

It's my favorite way to DC under the dryer. I also use saran wrap when doing overnight DCs. It's less crunchy sounding than plastic baggies. I have those too, but I love the tight, steamy effect of saran wrap.