Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

Honey Bee

@crimsonpeach, Oooh, pretty! Do you have a pic of how your wet hair looked before?

I haven't done the Cherry Lola yet. I sent SO to get some yogurt (and it was on sale!), but they didn't have full-fat. :ohwell: So I need a work-around. I looked up the ph of yogurt and it's 4.5-5. I have ph strips so I'm gonna test my conditioners to see which one falls in that range. (eta: I didn't have to break out the ph strips! I remembered that the natural haven has a list of the ph's of common conditioners. Aussie Moist (reg) and the 3mm are 4.8-5.8, good enough for a test run. :yep:)

And now, for another segment of 'From that long @ss thread on BHM'... :lol:

I'm on page 223. :blush: :lol: Pinke Cube just finished explaining something she noticed: those who are 'slow hydrators' (meaning, they've been doing it for a while and they still have lots of frizz) tend to water down their clay too much. (She noticed it on skype, she said, so she must have been skype'ing somebody through the process. Talk about dedication! :lol:) She used herself and msdeekay as counter examples (they both have yt vids showing how they apply it).

Her conclusion was that the clay should feel creamy when you apply it, and coat every strand to the point that your hair is white. You should be making small sections and making sure you work it in good from root to tip. If the clay feels squeaky when you apply it, you're doing it wrong.

It was also found that people with the best results kept the clay on much longer than 30 min. Some people slept in it, left it in for the entire day, etc, and they reported well-conditioned hair. I can confirm because I left my clay in for something like 4-5 hours to no negative affect.

eta again, last one, lol. I forgot something important. Pinke Cube also warned against smoothing your hair back like how you would do a relaxer, flat to the head. Iow, you should be using the clay as you would use gel in a wash and go.

Last edited:

Pompous Blue

I am glad you are having such great results. You sound so excited :yep:

faithVA
Yeah, I am VERY excited.
I do not straighten my hair and after so many years on this journey, it would be nice to see that my hair had some length.....Well, it does and it shows thanks to this method.
I can't believe this is all that it took.
And as crimsonpeach said, the steps get shorter and detangling is now a breeze (ON THE 3rd DAY, no less.) I can see things only getting better and better and by Day 7, I will have achieved my maximum hydration.
I'm wondering if I can trim less and retain more now that SSKs and knots are melted away.....
P.S. the only hesitation I had is I was afraid of the baking soda. I imagined my hair melting off my head.....LOL.....No fears, no worries.

Pompous Blue

@crimsonpeach, Oooh, pretty! Do you have a pic of how your wet hair looked before?

I haven't done the Cherry Lola yet. I sent SO to get some yogurt (and it was on sale!), but they didn't have full-fat. :ohwell: So I need a work-around. I looked up the ph of yogurt and it's 4.5-5. I have ph strips so I'm gonna test my conditioners to see which one falls in that range. (eta: I didn't have to break out the ph strips! I remembered that the natural haven has a list of the ph's of common conditioners. Aussie Moist (reg) and the 3mm are 4.8-5, good enough for a test run. :yep:)

And now, for another segment of 'From that long @ss thread on BHM'... :lol:

I'm on page 223. :blush: :lol: Pinke Cube just finished explaining something she noticed: those who are 'slow hydrators' (meaning, they've been doing it for a while and they still have lots of frizz) tend to water down their clay too much. (She noticed it on skype, she said, so she must have been skype'ing somebody through the process. Talk about dedication! :lol:) She used herself and msdeekay as counter examples (they both have yt vids showing how they apply it).

Her conclusion was that the clay should feel creamy when you apply it, and coat every strand to the point that your hair is white. You should be making small sections and making sure you work it in good from root to tip. If the clay feels squeaky when you apply it, you're doing it wrong.

It was also found that people with the best results kept the clay on much longer than 30 min. Some people slept in it, left it in for the entire day, etc, and they reported well-conditioned hair. I can confirm because I left my clay in for something like 4-5 hours to no negative affect.
Honey Bee

All of this is so true! My clay is very creamy (like cake batter) and I worked it into my hair very well (even massagint it into my scalp.)

And, yeah, I didn't think my hair could ever be frizz-free....It is today!

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker

I really should have taken before pics. My wet hair has a few random very tiny coils but is mostly a see of unclumped cotton. Water tends to sit on top was a long while and will dry into a fluffy fro. I haven't let my loose hair shrink completely since I was ear length. It's cute but the tangles and knots! My wet hair before doesn't have the same amount of hang as it does in my last pic.

I keep hearing the bad effects of baking soda. I'm not quite sure of where I stand on the issue yet but I am monitoring my hair. I plan on trying to do this method with that step and the clay step to see what happens (basically a traditional wash and go). Trying to get the 7 days in first. As long as I can maintain the ease of detangling and less SSKs.

shelli4018

I really believe that for my hair the key is the Cherry Lola/baking soda step. I just finished the method for the fourth time.

This time things went really quickly. Since my detangling time is basically 10 minutes now, the limiting steps are the "waiting" times. In fact, I think I will be able to shorten some of the listed times and eventually be able to skip certain steps/get down to a couple days per week once I get to higher levels of hydration.

I haven't had any SSKs or knots. My hair is drying more quickly and softer each day. Very little shedding (a few strands). I'm getting more and more definition each time also.

The below pic is wet hair.

I've also noticed less shedding. Since I've started wearing WNG's finger detangling has been my go to method for removing knots and shed hair. My hair is loving it! There has been no need to take my comb or denman out of the drawer yet.

Another observation I've made is that it really isn't super important that I get curl definition as long as my hair is soft and well moisturized. I haven't completed the 7 day treatment yet. The most I've done is four days in a row at the beginning. Then I bumped it down to 2 days on and 2 days off. It leaves me with defined hair for the first day and slightly chunkier on day 2. By day 3 I need to CW again.

Last edited:

SimJam

day 1

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bestat/media/Hair%202014/20140822_1028591_zps451a93c4.jpg.html] [/URL]

doesn't seem like much but I never get this much definition from just a tiny bit of effort.

I usually have to do tiny sections and shingle the heck out of my hair so get a similar look.

for this I just undid the chunky twists I put in my hair after I washed out my conditioner (maybe 15 or so) and slapped some KKKC in each section.

this took about 10 - 15 mins

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think I'm going to try this method, beginning this weekend, but it will have to be modified. My plan:

*Cleanse: ACV
*DC: Tressume Conditioner (over-night)
*Clay rinse: Now, European Clay powder (The next day)
*Leave-in: Giovanni
*Gel: Flaxseed or Giovanni

I will do this reggie Sats and Wed.

McQuay30

Looking for ideas about the baking soda portion, attempted a portion of the method a couple of days ago and noticed my perimeter and crown started to sting after about 15 to 20 minutes of it on my scalp. Maybe those areas are high porosity? And the rest low porosity? Also this is the same areas I would burn with a relaxer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using LHCF

Pompous Blue

Pompous Blue lawd now I am really getting interested to try this method.

bajandoc86

You've got to try it (jumping up and down!!!)

Guess what just happened??!!! I had to go back out in the field to meet a contractor on a construction site. When it came time to put on my hard-hat, I bent at the waist and my hair just poured into the hard-hat....un-freaking-believable!!!!

When I got back to my truck, I took my hard-hat off and my hair just fell into place, I did the YT girl shake and drove off ......

Pompous Blue

Looking for ideas about the baking soda portion, attempted a portion of the method a couple of days ago and noticed my perimeter and crown started to sting after about 15 to 20 minutes of it on my scalp. Maybe those areas are high porosity? And the rest low porosity? Also this is the same areas I would burn with a relaxer.

McQuay30

Thank you for bringing this up. My lower left nape did the same thing. And you're right, it felt like a relaxer-sting. When I rinsed it out there was no damage felt or seen. For the last 2 treatments, though, I used HALF the baking soda and still getting good results!

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I've also noticed less shedding. Since I've started wearing WNG's finger detangling has been my go to method for removing knots and shed hair. My hair is loving it! There has been no need to take my comb or denman out of the drawer yet.

Another observation I've made is that it really isn't super important that I get curl definition as long as my hair is soft and well moisturized. I haven't completed the 7 day treatment yet. The most I've done is four days in a row at the beginning. Then I bumped it down to 2 days on and 2 days off. It leaves me with defined hair for the first day and slightly chunkier on day 2. By day 3 I need to CW again.

YES! The curl definition is a nice side effect but the softness, decrease of tangles etc. is what I wanted. I haven't touched a comb since I've started this. I'm willing to bet my twistouts will easier to maintain also. I plan on trying one this weekend. I really should do a length check to see how much I retain before my next trim in 3 months.

faithVA

[USER said:
McQuay30;20471959[/USER]]Looking for ideas about the baking soda portion, attempted a portion of the method a couple of days ago and noticed my perimeter and crown started to sting after about 15 to 20 minutes of it on my scalp. Maybe those areas are high porosity? And the rest low porosity? Also this is the same areas I would burn with a relaxer.

What were your ratios of conditioner, water and baking soda? Did you rinse or put it on dry hair?

It is OK to rinse if you feel your cuticles are open after 15 to 20 minutes.

I only leave the baking soda on for 15 minutes because my cuticles are wide open by then.

SunRai Naturals

I think I'm going to try this. I've always been weary of baking soda but if the use of it in a controlled manner can help my hair be less tangled then I'm all for it. I really don't care about curl definition because I don't have curls but moisture and less tangles sound good right about now.

Pompous Blue

What were your ratios of conditioner, water and baking soda? Did you rinse or put it on dry hair?

I only leave the baking soda on for 15 minutes because my cuticles are wide open by then.

Step 1: Clarify
Option 1: Baking soda rinse. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda into thick 1-2.5 oz
conditioner. Add 4-8 oz of water. Shake. Apply to hair in sections and let sit on the hair for 15-60 minutes. If being done on product free hair, lower bakingsoda measurement to 1-2 teaspoons.
This step is ideal for low porosity hair, since it lifts the cuticle as well.

This is what I do except I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda. When I used 2 TBSP is when I got the sting.

faithVA

This is what I do except I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda. When I used 2 TBSP is when I got the sting.

Yes I only do 1 tbsp and I think for myself I can probably do 2 tsp since I sometimes rinse first.

I typically leave it on for 15 minutes. I probably have never left it on for more than 30.

1 tbsp leaves my mixture with a ph of 8. 2 tbsp probably has a higher ph which is causing the sting feeling. Definitely ok to cut back.

shelli4018

The first week I tried this I didn't use baking soda other than the Cherry Lola treatment. Pretty sure I only used 1 TBSP too. I used the ACV option instead.

McQuay30

Rinse hair and I am using half of everything as in water and v conditioner but only 2tsp of baking soda.

faithVA

[USER said:
McQuay30;20472495[/USER]]Rinse hair and I am using half of everything as in water and v conditioner but only 2tsp of baking soda.

Do you mean you are using 50% conditioner and 50% water when you say half of everything?

If so you may want to use more water to neutralize the baking soda a bit more.

It is better to stick with the 2 to 3 oz of conditioner with the 6 to 8 oz of water versus doing a 50/50 even if you are only using 2 tsp of baking soda.

Honey Bee

Oh snap, y'all! *runs around in circles screaming and waving hands*

I just cleansed with the baking soda + conditioner mix. I'm transitioning, the permed hair is hi po, but I think the natural hair is lo po. I wasn't even sure how my hair would respond to the bs cuz I never used it. I don't have any of the right conditioners yet, I'm just playing around, really.

So, one tsp of bs + 2 oz of Wen + a few oz of hot tap water. I left it on less than 5 min cuz I was nervous. :look:

When I rinsed, it felt SO SOFT, omg. Then, I applied warmed, diluted Wen as my dc and my hair just drank it up. I have it on now. I can. not. wait. to apply the clay.

Crece pello is on the approved list. I'm glad because I can find it easily on the ground here AND it's super cheap. :yep:

McQuay30

Do you mean you are using 50% conditioner and 50% water when you say half of everything?

If so you may want to use more water to neutralize the baking soda a bit more.

It is better to stick with the 2 to 3 oz of conditioner with the 6 to 8 oz of water versus doing a 50/50 even if you are only using 2 tsp of baking soda.

Sorry, I u 4 oz of water and 1oz of conditioner and 2tsp of baking soda.

bebezazueta

Oh snap, y'all! *runs around in circles screaming and waving hands* I just cleansed with the baking soda + conditioner mix. I'm transitioning, the permed hair is hi po, but I think the natural hair is lo po. I wasn't even sure how my hair would respond to the bs cuz I never used it. I don't have any of the right conditioners yet, I'm just playing around, really. So, one tsp of bs + 2 oz of Wen + a few oz of hot tap water. I left it on less than 5 min cuz I was nervous. :look: When I rinsed, it felt SO SOFT, omg. Then, I applied warmed, diluted Wen as my dc and my hair just drank it up. I have it on now. I can. not. wait. to apply the clay. Crece pello is on the approved list. I'm glad because I can find it easily on the ground here AND it's super cheap. :yep:

THANK YOU! I'm transitioning and have been stalking this thread. I'm one week away from being 1 year post. I'm currently in Havana twists now but when I take them down I'm definitely gonna try this for 1 week and then go back into the twists. Excited!

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
SimJam wow that was day 1? So pretty!

I bought baking soda at the supermarket today. I have tried yogurt dc and acv in the past and my hair was not a fan…but I will try one more time with this method.

Thinking about it, I have done rhassoul and bentonite clay masks before, and my hair was pretty defined (well the back half and the sides), the top would always be frizzy though, so I have never attempted a wash and go.

myfaithrising

I am so glad that so many people are having success with this method!! We have to keep up with each other, I've been doing the MHM since early July and it has been a game changer for my 4a/4b hair. My biggest problem is what to do with the massive amount of crap under my sink : )!!!! I'll try to post my results

Attachments

• image-3737434849.jpg
    image-3737434849.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3061631881.jpg
    image-3061631881.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3119018368.jpg
    image-3119018368.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 152

faithVA

I am so glad that so many people are having success with this method!! We have to keep up with each other, I've been doing the MHM since early July and it has been a game changer for my 4a/4b hair. My biggest problem is what to do with the massive amount of crap under my sink : )!!!! I'll try to post my results

Very nice. You have great definition.

faithVA

Sorry, I u 4 oz of water and 1oz of conditioner and 2tsp of baking soda.

Try a little more water or less baking soda. But if your cuticles are open in 15 to 20 minutes just rinse it out and move to the next step.

myfaithrising

Very nice. You have great definition.

Thank you, and I'm not at maximum hydration yet. The best part is that my shedding has dramatically decreased and detangling is a breeze so hopefully I'm finally on track for some length retention. I'm a slow grower so every bit counts! !

Honey Bee

@bajandoc86, If you've had bad experiences with yogurt, I've seen elsewhere online where people make the Cherry Lola treatment using conditioner instead. The most important thing, I think, is that whatever conditioner you use should have a similar ph to yogurt (4.5-5.5).

So, I finished my hair. I should start taking pics. My mom was here and was thoroughly impressed with the condition of my hair. I used my new red clay. (Note to self: it looked like a crime scene when I was finished, make it thicker next time. :lol:) I tried to use irish moss in the clay step to thicken it a bit, but alas :nono:, all it did was smell fishy. I'm sure I got some extra minerals or something in my hair, though. :look:

VirtuousGal

Does anyone skip the bentonite clay or replace it with something else? And yea, I know that goes against following it to the letter, but i wanna know durn it lol