Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
all i want to know is how long does your hair stay hydrated;soft with clumped curl after you stop the method.
I haven't reached max hydration yet so I can't answer your questions. However once hydration is reached your hair will stay moisturized a lot longer. I no some could go 7 days if they had too but the originator doesn't advise going longer then 3 days even once reaching max hydration. Before this regimen I couldn't get even 1 day hair cuz my hair would dry out by the time I got home from work. Now I can get 2 day hair maybe even 3.

splendid10

Hi, Does this method prevent you from using oils in your hair or including them in your conditioner for additional sheen and softness? Thanks.

faithVA

Hi, Does this method prevent you from using oils in your hair or including them in your conditioner for additional sheen and softness? Thanks.

The method does allow for oil after step 4 the leave-in step or after step 5 the gel set.

SimJam

that's a whole darn lot of steps to do daily (least 2-3 times per week)

does remind me though that I have some clays and terressentials to use up

So to update I :look:

I inadvertently did a stretched out max hydration-ish method

did a cherry lola one week (its super awesome)
then a clay wash the next week (slept with it on)

my hair has been super moisturized since
(also because I found out that Im LoPo and have tweaked my reggie accordingly)

SimJam

all i want to know is how long does your hair stay hydrated;soft with clumped curl after you stop the method.

See my above post .... I did the inadvertent stretched out max hydration method a month ago and Im still feeling the difference.

I think Ill be doing this monthly now

Honey Bee

See my above post .... I did the inadvertent stretched out max hydration method a month ago and Im still feeling the difference.

I think Ill be doing this monthly now
:yep: I did my first clay rinse and my hair was clumped and extremely well defined. I had no idea my hair looked like that* beneath all the frizz. :lol:

* I did a little experiment. I went through all the yt vids of those following this method and I noticed that, when you compare pre-mhm hair to post-mhm hair, you find that the definition you see in those early clay treatments is loosely similar to how your hair will look once you do the regimen fully for a while. I did notice slight shrinkage between the two, but that's it. So, the definition I saw with my first clay mask on gives me an idea of what my hair will eventually look like.

myfaithrising

It's just the baking soda I'm weary about. I don't mind it in the cherry lola treatment, but I'm not so sure how well it will clarify my hair. When I put things like that in my hair, I just always feel like it's still dirty. Shampoo would just make me feel a bit better because I know it's designed to clean the hair. I think I am gonna experiment. My logic is, if the goal is to clarify the hair, I should be able to use a clarifying shampoo (preferably one without sulfates). Maybe the person who came up with this was keeping no-poo ladies in mind.

I thought the same thing, however each step has a purpose, the clarification step uses baking soda to cleanse as well as to open the cuticles to allow moisture to enter from the next step which is the DC step. I wasn't sure about the baking soda either and my logic was that I should be able to use a shampoo bar which cleanses and has a high ph, tried it and had a set back, live and learn. If you're concerned about clean hair, the clay wash which is step 3 will also cleanse your hair.

shelli4018

I just got back from vacation where I couldn't do all of the steps. There was no way I was lugging all those products around. However I did a Cherry Lola treatment before I went and packed Tresemme conditioner and Wet Line gel. My hair retained moisture for 5 days. I co-washed twice. The last time I CW I my curls were turning into frizz. Now that I'm home I tried baking soda and the curl definition is better than before. So I'm gonna TRY to follow the method as it's laid out this week.

Last edited:

hunnychile

I tried this one day last week and it took entirely too long to be doing every day and I have a TWA. I liked my results with the clay mask and diluting the conditioner so I'll probably just snip pieces from it and do it weekly.

Honey Bee

bajandoc86, :yay: I think I found something you might like!

The Max Hydration Method

ooo Version 1(Day/Night regimen) ooo

Night

Step 1. Bakingsoda/ ACV rinse
Step 2. Deep condition/GHE, may add light oils to scalp. You may use thermal heating cap or steam for an hour before wearing the shower cap to bed

Day

Step 2.(continued) Rinse out DC and detangle in morning.
Step 3. Clay
Step 4. Leave in. Hair should be soaking wet, no matter how you go about doing it.
Step 5. Gel/ Oil to set into style (no glycerin or coconut oil)

More detailed version, mixtures, and stretching options:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the...937_post10888148.html?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148

ooo Version 2 (Fastest for All in one go) ooo

Step 1. Wet hair

Step 2. Clay rinse

Step 3. Bakingsoda rinse

Step 4. Apply conditioner on sopping wet hair under shower. Slide off access conditioner with hands to avoid residue

Step 5. Apply gel on sopping wet hair and keep hair wet. Shake. Or apply an gel or oil and set into style.

ooo Version 3 (all in one go ACV) ooo

Step 1. ACV
Step 2. Clay
Step 3. Leave in, as in version 2.
Step 4. Gel/ Oil

ooo Version 4 (Bald spot regimen/For people who's hair is too short for gel) ooo

Step 1. ACV (can also add cayenne pepper)
Step 2. Clay (with cayenne pepper and light stimulating oils added)
Step 3. Apply light oils to scalp(I Recommend a light oil mixed with stimulating antimicrobial oils)
Step 4. Deep condition for 2-3 weeks before repeating whole regimen.

ooo Version 5 (For Cherry Lola) ooo

Night

Step 1: Cherry Lola
Step 2: DC overnight

Day

Step 3. Clay
Step 4. Leave in
Step 5. Gel/oil(if doing set style)

ooo Version 6 (Longer version for All in one go)ooo

Step 1. B.S./ACV
Step 2. Steam/thermal heating cap/Warm conditioner
Step 3. Clay
Step 4. Leave in
Step 5. Gel/oil(if doing set style)

For all options, note: Do not dry hair after each step/rinse. You want your hair to be very wet especially when you are applying the leave in. You can even do this under the shower. As you section your hair to apply gel, if the hair section you haven't gotten to yet is getting dry, apply or spray more watered down conditioner to the section, and slide of excess foam off as you work it in. Make sure it gets to your roots too. The wetter and more slippery your hair is after the leave in step, the softer the gel dries.

Basic MHM outline:

o Gentle Clarification of product residue and build up that blocks cuticles and gets on scalp.
o Cuticles are lifted.
o Moisture is introduced and readily absorbed.
o Moisture is sealed in and cuticles close.

quoted from the huge thread at BHM, pg 127. I'm getting through it, y'all, a little bit every day. :lol: I think it goes up to pg 200-something. Anyway, I say all that to say, Pinke Cube might not even co-sign these different methods any more. :lol:

But! Your hair has to be well-hydrated because the method I highlighted, the fastest one, omits dc'ing. It's actually the brainchild of danabnatural (?) on yt, but even she makes a point to schedule one or more overnight dc's/ wk and her hair has already reached max hydration. Pinke Cube thought the method was fine, a few people tried it out and said it was awesome, best wng ever!, then a few posts later they started noticing dryness. While troubleshooting, they realized that they didn't have anything near 'max hydration' and as a result, their hair really needed those omitted dc's.

So don't forget to dc. :up:

Honey Bee

I panicked and added the conditioner when I felt how drying the clay went on my hair. I used water mixed with the clay and put that on my hair. As I was smoothing it was sticking to my strands and then I panicked and added conditioner. My gel has glycerin and the instructions said no glycerin.
almond eyes, I have some question for you if you don't mind. I'm practicing my troubleshooting with this method. :yep: :lol:

First, you have to tell me exactly what you did, step by step, and with which products. The image of you freaking out and slapping conditioner on top of your clay is cracking me up, reminding me of how I felt that night with the porosity issue I mentioned. Lawd, this hair thing is serious business.:lachen: :look:

Ok *catches breath*, so when you say the clay was drying, what do you mean? Describe how it felt or looked that made you think it was dry. Had you ever used clay before? What, exactly, was your blend? I had never used it before personally, but I figured it might feel a little drying. It's mud, after all. :look: I kept it on for several hours with a shower cap. The result was so perfect (looking, feeling) when I washed it out that I really should have just followed the regimen and applied my leave-in. Being extra :rolleyes:, I did an ACV rinse that ruined it.

Ahh, so you didn't use gel. According to Pinke Cube, that's one of the most important steps. She doesn't utilize gel for defining curls, she employs it as a sealant. In her opinion, oil isn't adequate for low porosity hair because oil only traps the moisture of your leave-in for a limited amount of time and, on lo po hair, things tend not to absorb anyway. So, basically, [lo po hair(l-i + oil)]= oily hair from which the leave in has evaporated.

Do you intend to actually do the method, or are you just experimenting with different pieces of the reggie like me?

almond eyes

@almond eyes, I have some question for you if you don't mind. I'm practicing my troubleshooting with this method. :yep: :lol:

First, you have to tell me exactly what you did, step by step, and with which products. The image of you freaking out and slapping conditioner on top of your clay is cracking me up, reminding me of how I felt that night with the porosity issue I mentioned. Lawd, this hair thing is serious business.:lachen: :look:

Ok *catches breath*, so when you say the clay was drying, what do you mean? Describe how it felt or looked that made you think it was dry. Had you ever used clay before? What, exactly, was your blend? I had never used it before personally, but I figured it might feel a little drying. It's mud, after all. :look: I kept it on for several hours with a shower cap. The result was so perfect (looking, feeling) when I washed it out that I really should have just followed the regimen and applied my leave-in. Being extra :rolleyes:, I did an ACV rinse that ruined it.

Ahh, so you didn't use gel. According to Pinke Cube, that's one of the most important steps. She doesn't utilize gel for defining curls, she employs it as a sealant. In her opinion, oil isn't adequate for low porosity hair because oil only traps the moisture of your leave-in for a limited amount of time and, on lo po hair, things tend not to absorb anyway. So, basically, [lo po hair(l-i + oil)]= oily hair from which the leave in has evaporated.

Do you intend to actually do the method, or are you just experimenting with different pieces of the reggie like me?

Hi Honey Bee.

I am laughing too at myself slapping conditioner on my hair to stop the dryness from taking over. It was like a race for time.

My hair used to be low porosity but now since I shaved it and wash it often it is normal now. My hair takes in products very well and it dries within three hours. Before my hair used to take at least one day to dry properly.

As I was putting the wet clay on my hair, the clay pieces began snagging in my hair and I added more water. And then it began to get dry very fast like high porosity hair and I started to add the conditioner.

I added a leave in afterwards and maybe the problem was the leave in had glycerin which I just checked out the ingredient list it does have it.

I didn't try the oil and also it was hard for the clay to get washed out completely. I didn't use the gel because I saw after washing my hair with a lot of conditioner after the mud mask the wave definition was clearly there but my hair felt very dry so I used a leave in and put a hair tie (do rag) on.

When I took the hair tie off the waves were there but looked very dry and the moment I fussed with it the hair turned to a dry fro and the waves disappeared.

I am scared to do this method again. My own hydration method is not producing waves definition or hang time (my hair is still in the TWA stage) but my hair is moist and the comb glides through and that to me is key for hair growth the retention.

My biggest issue are my 4b front edges which look different from the rest of my hair. That tiny part of my hair is actually high porosity.

So any advice, but I am weary:look:

Best,
Almond Eyes

Nazaneen

I just yt'd this and it's weird seeing such tight curl patterns hanging and looking so defined, moisturized, and frizz free! There is something to this method for sure.

faithVA

[USER said:
bajandoc86;20464317[/USER]]Thank you Honey Bee. I will try this my next weekend off...see how y hair looks and feels as well as how long it takes.

You have beautiful hair anyway. I can only imagine what your curls look like. :drool: I'm so jealous already I don't even want to see it :lol:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I'm on Day 2 of this method. So far my hair has been extra soft and last night's detangling was a breeze. 15 minutes. That's a new record for me. I won't be able to complete all the steps tonight so I will pineapple or twist it up. I also have more "hang". I am nowhere close to hydration. The roots are super frizzy but from about half way I get individual tiny curls. If this cuts down on SSKs and knots, I may be sold. At the very least I will kept doing periodic cherry lolas and cowashing more often.

Attachments

• image-983273959.jpg
    image-983273959.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 199

almond eyes

I also find that to achieve maximum hydration we must also be careful to avoid certain hair styles. To me extension braids are a big no no. Too drying doesn't allow for hair shaft to be penetrated with moisture and I remembered when I would braid my hair the shedding and the dryness even after a good DC was incredible. The dryness also I think caused greater shrinkage and SSKs.

I think I have reached maximum hydration because my hair never comes out in the comb and my hair remains soft all day even when it is finished drying and I put no product in my hair. And I can comb my hair wet or dry with nothing coming out in the comb but I will like to see when my afro grows bigger if that will still be the case. And I some days don't even comb my fro and still no breakage or massive shedding or hair coming out in the comb days later. Years ago when I cut my hair very short, and I wasn't washing everyday and not using the right shampoos and conditioners my hair would always come out in the comb.

I don't think I want to mess with any mud masks or ACV or baking soda. It has taken me awhile to achieve soft hair. All my other transitions what made me run to the relaxer or texturiser was my dry hair. I think when you have maximum hydration your hair cuticles lie in a certain way and your hair is easier to style and also now that my hair doesn't take forever to dry like before I think hair styles will be easier to achieve especially since I can wash and style and know my hair will dry quickly so I can afford to wash my hair everyday or at least wet it. Again I will report as my afro gets bigger.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

shelli4018

Just finished the steps without tweaking anything. My hair turned out pretty well. Certainly less frizz around the perimeter. Whats interesting is the hair up front never did much before. It didn't curl or frizz as it's much finer than the hair at my crown (which is pretty course).

I've been messing around with this process for a couple of weeks now. My hair has improved each time I've done it. So yeah...this method has great potential. Don't think I've had many SSK's and detangling has been pretty easy too.

Nazaneen

Is there a reason why relaxed ladies shouldn't use the Cherry Lola treatment?
My hair is relaxed but my hair retains a good deal of curl pattern and it seems just about as frizzy as when my hair is not relaxed. It's frizz city if I air dry.

almond eyes

Many years ago when I went to a natural hair salon in NYC, they came up with a concoction with coconut milk, lime juice and baking soda calling it their natural hair relaxer with no chemicals. I don't know what else she added to that mix but my hair looked nice a somewhat curly but when I washed it the following week it turned dry and my hair started to shed massively. When I called to ask if the mix had chemicals, she said no their mixologist had tried mixing up her non chemical concoctions and her experiments had worked well before. Well I guess on my fine four something textured hair it was a fail. I had to cut off several inches.

I have been really thinking hard about this maximum hydration and as I said my hair is doing very good now with the daily washing and conditioning for three months. I am working on getting my 4b edges to accept moisture better with my daily washes. Amazingly I do not use any products on my hair and my hair still feels soft. I realise how much money I have wasted over the years in trying to buy these products designed to bring out curl patterns, hang time and shingling results when many of those products caused me even more dryness and skin problems. Coconut oil and Shea Butter caused me some of the worst acne I ever had in my life three years ago and I had to go on accutane as it was that bad.

When I was a child growing up in the 70s, my African mother used to wash my hair condition it put it in one big plait and grease it every now and then. I had no problems. Everyone called me 'baby hair' because it was so soft it was so easy to just pile into one bunch. But when she began washing it less, using harsh shampoo (ivory soap), putting all of this grease in my hair mid week and then plaiting my hair with extensions my hair became dry and then the texture changed from soft to dry and hard.

When I lived in Rwanda, natural hair is very big over there. I have seen women with 4c hair no wave pattern but afros soft and huge tied into a bun. I was so jealous. My god mother who is Rwandan I have always asked her what is the secret. She always says, we have the same hair what are you talking about. Then she would say, we wash our hair a lot and we don't use weaves or extension plaits.

So, for me, I don't care about creating these curls and waves, I want soft hair and retention which I am getting so far.

Believe it or not 4 type hair whether A or Z is not the hardest hair type. The hardest problem is achieving maximum hydration so that hair is soft enough to gather and style. And that is what makes many women run to relaxers along with the issue of shrinkage. I think the hardest hair type is low density regardless if the hair is straight, curly or coily.

I think women with 4b and 4z especially those with high density hair need to re examine the hydration issue. Because once you can conquer this, you don't care about whether your hair has no curl or wave pattern.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Honey Bee

Many years ago when I went to a natural hair salon in NYC, they came up with a concoction with coconut milk, lime juice and baking soda calling it their natural hair relaxer with no chemicals. I don't know what else she added to that mix but my hair looked nice a somewhat curly but when I washed it the following week it turned dry and my hair started to shed massively. When I called to ask if the mix had chemicals, she said no their mixologist had tried mixing up her non chemical concoctions and her experiments had worked well before. Well I guess on my fine four something textured hair it was a fail. I had to cut off several inches.

I have been really thinking hard about this maximum hydration and as I said my hair is doing very good now with the daily washing and conditioning for three months. I am working on getting my 4b edges to accept moisture better with my daily washes. Amazingly I do not use any products on my hair and my hair still feels soft. I realise how much money I have wasted over the years in trying to buy these products designed to bring out curl patterns, hang time and shingling results when many of those products caused me even more dryness and skin problems. Coconut oil and Shea Butter caused me some of the worst acne I ever had in my life three years ago and I had to go on accutane as it was that bad.

When I was a child growing up in the 70s, my African mother used to wash my hair condition it put it in one big plait and grease it every now and then. I had no problems. Everyone called me 'baby hair' because it was so soft it was so easy to just pile into one bunch. But when she began washing it less, using harsh shampoo (ivory soap), putting all of this grease in my hair mid week and then plaiting my hair with extensions my hair became dry and then the texture changed from soft to dry and hard.

When I lived in Rwanda, natural hair is very big over there. I have seen women with 4c hair no wave pattern but afros soft and huge tied into a bun. I was so jealous. My god mother who is Rwandan I have always asked her what is the secret. She always says, we have the same hair what are you talking about. Then she would say, we wash our hair a lot and we don't use weaves or extension plaits.

So, for me, I don't care about creating these curls and waves, I want soft hair and retention which I am getting so far.

Believe it or not 4 type hair whether A or Z is not the hardest hair type. The hardest problem is achieving maximum hydration so that hair is soft enough to gather and style. And that is what makes many women run to relaxers along with the issue of shrinkage. I think the hardest hair type is low density regardless if the hair is straight, curly or coily.

I think women with 4b and 4z especially those with high density hair need to re examine the hydration issue. Because once you can conquer this, you don't care about whether your hair has no curl or wave pattern.

Best,
Almond Eyes
almond eyes, I think you're getting hung up on curl patterns and hang-time. That's not the focus of this regimen. The inventor, Pinke Cube, was not looking for definition when she stumbled onto this method. She had a bald spot caused by a bad ingredient in some gel. She tried everything usually recommended to no avail. She bc'd for the zillionth time and baggied for three months. To her delight, at the end of that period, the area had grown back.

What shocked her was that that single patch of hair was perfectly coiled from root to tip. :blush:

She started researching frizz and learned that it's a sign of severely parched hair, but it's not a hair type on its own. 3c hair can also be so frizzy that the curl pattern is hidden. Any hair type can frizz.

What I'm trying to explain is that, while users of this regimen discuss curl definition, that's simply a by-product of max hydration. Dry hair= frizz. Moist hair= no frizz= defined hair, whether you wanted it or not. :lol: Definition is just a way to measure one's progress.

Me, personally, I never intend to do wngs so, curl definition or not, don't really matter to me. :lol: But maximally hydrated hair performs better and retains growth. That's my goal.

AJellyCake

Well I'm going to try it! I'm a lo-po (at least last time I checked), dense, thick-stranded 3c/4a.

My hair has been fine recently (since I added an activator gel). But it has always taken forever to dry and, I think, is lacking in elasticity. I think it lacks internal moisture. My hair is also very frizz-prone.

We'll see how it goes!!

almond eyes

@almond eyes, I think you're getting hung up on curl patterns and hang-time. That's not the focus of this regimen. The inventor, Pinke Cube, was not looking for definition when she stumbled onto this method. She had a bald spot caused by a bad ingredient in some gel. She tried everything usually recommended to no avail. She bc'd for the zillionth time and baggied for three months. To her delight, at the end of that period, the area had grown back.

What shocked her was that that single patch of hair was perfectly coiled from root to tip. :blush:

She started researching frizz and learned that it's a sign of severely parched hair, but it's not a hair type on its own. 3c hair can also be so frizzy that the curl pattern is hidden. Any hair type can frizz.

What I'm trying to explain is that, while users of this regimen discuss curl definition, that's simply a by-product of max hydration. Dry hair= frizz. Moist hair= no frizz= defined hair, whether you wanted it or not. :lol: Definition is just a way to measure one's progress.

Me, personally, I never intend to do wngs so, curl definition or not, don't really matter to me. :lol: But maximally hydrated hair performs better and retains growth. That's my goal.

No I was not focused on that for my hair, but I do understand you are saying that the person who thought of the method was trying to get maximum hydration which leads to better retention of hair rather than get us four types to be focused on the curl and coil definition. But I don't think definition is an indicator of hydration. I used a mud mask and my hair waved up immediately but my hair was very dry afterwards. I see many women with definition and their hair looks dry and crispy. I did the mud mask not to see definition but to see if my hair would get softer than what I was doing.

What are the ways one can detect hydration besides curl definition. For me it is how my comb glides through my hair and how my hair feels after it has been washed and dries.

Best,
Almond Eyes

tolly

I imagine getting rid of SSK and less manipulation will give me the chance to retain length. I'm excited to see what happens over the next months with this regimen.
I use giovanni direct leave in watered down, and homemade flaxseed gel which is so watery I get non greasy, non-crunchy hair and I enjoy running my hands through my hair now.
In my 4years on hair forums, I never tried baking soda on my hair becuase of the warnings about damage.....now I have less than 2inches of hair and with the testimony of those who have been doing this for some months, I don't mind experimenting with my short hair, I have little to lose.
I used bentonite clay for the first time today, my hair doesn't look any different from yesterday, I have loose curls, I used to categorize as 4a, now it looks like 3c, with clumping that hopefully keeps SSK away.

Honey Bee

I see many women with definition and their hair looks dry and crispy. I did the mud mask not to see definition but to see if my hair would get softer than what I was doing.
almond eyes, :lol: I know what you mean.

The mud mask, as I understand it, is an alternate cleaning method, like an acv or baking soda rinse. It's not the one thing that gets your hair moisturized and soft. Your conditioner is supposed to do that.

This regimen has two cleansing steps in it because Pinke Cube believes that lo po hair has to be really clean to absorb moisture, otherwise the cuticles won't lift.

I'm getting my clay tomorrow. :yay: I also ordered some Irish Moss because, although I do intend to buy some Kinny Curly Custard (the gel) once I'm fully natural, I'd like to make a gel with a cast (meaning, it makes a shell around the hair strand to seal in moisture) but minimal hold to use as I continue my transition.

And, my mom has some flax seeds, acv, and coconut oil for me. :yay: I still have a huge vitacost order to make, though. I'm still missing some ingredients for the gel.

I'll start the full reggie when I get my gel situation worked out. :lol: I'm gonna take pics before and after and, or course, post them here, but I also wanna send them to Pinke Cube to be posted on the website. My mom is starting it tonight cuz she just got some clay. (She's the only reason I'm doing this, btw, just to prove it works. I think my hair would hydrate using normal methods.)

OAN, I'm gonna start a hair journal to keep track of how the various steps of this regimen affect me hair. Something I did left my hair feeling kinda rough but honestly, I can't remember what it was. I just know that something I did in my last wash did me wrong. :nono: Wish I could remember what it was. :look:

almond eyes

I guess the key is maximum hydration plus correcting porosity issues equals better retention and softer hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

@almond eyes, :lol: I know what you mean.

The mud mask, as I understand it, is an alternate cleaning method, like an acv or baking soda rinse. It's not the one thing that gets your hair moisturized and soft. Your conditioner is supposed to do that.

This regimen has two cleansing steps in it because Pinke Cube believes that lo po hair has to be really clean to absorb moisture, otherwise the cuticles won't lift.

I'm getting my clay tomorrow. :yay: I also ordered some Irish Moss because, although I do intend to buy some Kinny Curly Custard (the gel) once I'm fully natural, I'd like to make a gel with a cast (meaning, it makes a shell around the hair strand to seal in moisture) but minimal hold to use as I continue my transition.

And, my mom has some flax seeds, acv, and coconut oil for me. :yay: I still have a huge vitacost order to make, though. I'm still missing some ingredients for the gel.

I'll start the full reggie when I get my gel situation worked out. :lol: I'm gonna take pics before and after and, or course, post them here, but I also wanna send them to Pinke Cube to be posted on the website. My mom is starting it tonight cuz she just got some clay. (She's the only reason I'm doing this, btw, just to prove it works. I think my hair would hydrate using normal methods.)

OAN, I'm gonna start a hair journal to keep track of how the various steps of this regimen affect me hair. Something I did left my hair feeling kinda rough but honestly, I can't remember what it was. I just know that something I did in my last wash did me wrong. :nono: Wish I could remember what it was. :look:

Can't wait to hear about the results you keep in your journal.

Best.
Almond Eyes

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I really believe that for my hair the key is the Cherry Lola/baking soda step. I just finished the method for the fourth time.

This time things went really quickly. Since my detangling time is basically 10 minutes now, the limiting steps are the "waiting" times. In fact, I think I will be able to shorten some of the listed times and eventually be able to skip certain steps/get down to a couple days per week once I get to higher levels of hydration.

I haven't had any SSKs or knots. My hair is drying more quickly and softer each day. Very little shedding (a few strands). I'm getting more and more definition each time also.

The below pic is wet hair.

Attachments

• image-885503077.jpg
    image-885503077.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Pompous Blue

I have always characterized my hair as 4C/Z.....there was never any definition or hang to it.

But I always knew the key to my hair being healthy and performing well was moisture, moisture, moisture! Even though I used bentonite clay once a week, did regular protein and henna treatments, nothing seemed to give me definition. And even though my hair is 10" long, it would never keep its hang from a braid-out or twist-out no matter the products or methods I used.

Today is Day 3 and MY GAWD!! My hair looks like a jheri curl without the wetness. It is shiny, bouncy and has swang. THIS IS THE 1st TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO MY HAIR! I'm amazed.

I am in Florida and when I left home this morning the humidity (close to 95%/97% today) hit me in the face. I have been outside several times and my hair has not shrunken AT ALL! My twist-out is still elongated, moisturized and swanging. Usually I get shrinkage about 20 minutes after doing my hair. Which, by the end of the day, turns into a shrunken 'for. Can't wait 'til the end of the day to see the final results.

My weekend plans are to continue the regimen (I'm determined to do the 7-day treatment).

MY CRITIQUE of the METHOD:

Being the PJ that I am, I didn't have to purchase anything. I did the Cherry Lola Caramel treament and only substituted the coconut amino with Silk Amino. Left the solution on for 2 hours.

I followed all of the other steps except I did not dilute or add water to my leave-in. Since my hair was always parched, I had stopped using regular L-I and used only heavy creams and oils to try to keep my hair moisturized. I realize (on Day 3) that I can use less and less products now.

The products I have been using (none of the products, I believe, are on the approved list) are:

Conditioners:
karensbodybeautiful.com Luscious Locks conditioner
Phyto PhytoKarite mask
happynappyhoney.com Pink Sugar Hibiscus Conditioner
darcysbotanicals.com Pumpkin Seed Conditioner

Leave-Ins:
happynappyhoney.com Honey Nut Pomade
APB hair creme
myhoneychild.com Type 4 hair cream

Gels:
Entwine Couture Creme Jelle Styler
Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic (original formula)
Curl Junkie's Pattern PUSHA

ALSO, I know I will not have to do heavy-layers of the LCO method. I can be very light-handed going forward.

And finally a small patch of hair in my left temple (about 3" X 3") is defined, moisturized and swanging. This patch of hair never stayed defined from any style or method I've tried. Seemingly it's catching up to the hydration level of the rest of my hair. Today is the 1st time I've ever worn bangs.

I'm looking forward to the end of the day without a shrunken 'fro.

As of today, I'm an official 4B.....I'm happy.....

faithVA

I have always characterized my hair as 4C/Z.....there was never any definition or hang to it.

But I always knew the key to my hair being healthy and performing well was moisture, moisture, moisture! Even though I used bentonite clay once a week, did regular protein and henna treatments, nothing seemed to give me definition. And even though my hair is 10" long, it would never keep its hang from a braid-out or twist-out no matter the products or methods I used.

Today is Day 3 and MY GAWD!! My hair looks like a jheri curl without the wetness. It is shiny, bouncy and has swang. THIS IS THE 1st TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO MY HAIR! I'm amazed.

I am in Florida and when I left home this morning the humidity (close to 95%/97% today) hit me in the face. I have been outside several times and my hair has not shrunken AT ALL! My twist-out is still elongated, moisturized and swanging. Usually I get shrinkage about 20 minutes after doing my hair. Which, by the end of the day, turns into a shrunken 'for. Can't wait 'til the end of the day to see the final results.

My weekend plans are to continue the regimen (I'm determined to do the 7-day treatment).

MY CRITIQUE of the METHOD:

Being the PJ that I am, I didn't have to purchase anything. I did the Cherry Lola Caramel treament and only substituted the coconut amino with Silk Amino. Left the solution on for 2 hours.

I followed all of the other steps except I did not dilute or add water to my leave-in. Since my hair was always parched, I had stopped using regular L-I and used only heavy creams and oils to try to keep my hair moisturized. I realize (on Day 3) that I can use less and less products now.

The products I have been using (none of the products, I believe, are on the approved list) are:

Conditioners:
karensbodybeautiful.com Luscious Locks conditioner
Phyto PhytoKarite mask
happynappyhoney.com Pink Sugar Hibiscus Conditioner
darcysbotanicals.com Pumpkin Seed Conditioner

Leave-Ins:
happynappyhoney.com Honey Nut Pomade
APB hair creme
myhoneychild.com Type 4 hair cream

Gels:
Entwine Couture Creme Jelle Styler
Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic (original formula)
Curl Junkie's Pattern PUSHA

ALSO, I know I will not have to do heavy-layers of the LCO method. I can be very light-handed going forward.

And finally a small patch of hair in my left temple (about 3" X 3") is defined, moisturized and swanging. This patch of hair never stayed defined from any style or method I've tried. Seemingly it's catching up to the hydration level of the rest of my hair. Today is the 1st time I've ever worn bangs.

I'm looking forward to the end of the day without a shrunken 'fro.

As of today, I'm an official 4B.....I'm happy.....

I am glad you are having such great results. You sound so excited :yep: