Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

Guinan

Re-Branding
So I tried the even shorter version of the MHM and I LOVE IT!! I applied my ACV and clay and left that on for 30mins. I then rinsed in the shower and applied my leave-in in the shower. I then did my WnG. The only part that took long was the dry time. I sat under my dryer for about an hour and a half and it left me about 90% dry.

I had planned on using some conditioner, cause I thought that the clay was going to dry my hair but it didnt. My hair was very soft.

I ran out of flaxseed gel so I had to use my eco styler for the front half my my hair. It turned out great b/c I diluted the gel with water, so it wasnt as thick.

Last edited:

I did a modified version before work this morning. I skipped the clay step. I cowshed with baking soda, used my KCKT and KCCC. My hair looks great. SO I thinK i'll start doing that during the week and do the fully MHM on weekends.

Honey Bee

Glad to hear that Protective Princess finally put out her new vid.

My update: As a transitioner, I'm just experimenting to see what will work once I'm fully natural. I flat ironed 2 wks ago and haven't washed yet (yay dry shampoo! :look:).

I can see that the 3 step version (clay, condition/l-i, gel) has promise, but I really loved my hair after the ACV rinse, so Idk... I'll keep it as an option.

DarkJoy, I only used the bs option once. I had never used it before and my relaxed hair (my ends) has always been highly porous, I just didn't think it was a good choice. I could see it causing trouble. I only used it that once to see how it acted on my natural hair. :nono:

bronzephoenix

Finger detangling is a breeze now!!! I ran out of clay so I just did an ACV rinse and cowash tonight. I'm loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Pompous Blue

I love her hair in that video! My twist-outs are close to being that defined ALL DAY LONG. Which is a miracle for me. But I still do the full version without the STEP 4 and 5 application with the wash and go. I apply leave-in, gel and flat twist. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Guinan

Re-Branding

My update: As a transitioner, I'm just experimenting to see what will work once I'm fully natural. I flat ironed 2 wks ago and haven't washed yet (yay dry shampoo! :look:).

I can see that the 3 step version (clay, condition/l-i, gel) has promise, but I really loved my hair after the ACV rinse, so Idk... I'll keep it as an option.

@DarkJoy, I only used the bs option once. I had never used it before and my relaxed hair (my ends) has always been highly porous, I just didn't think it was a good choice. I could see it causing trouble. I only used it that once to see how it acted on my natural hair. :nono:

I really like the ACV too. Someone in this thread suggested combining the ACV and the clay together. I tried that on Wed and my hair responded well.

ResultsMayVary

I love how everyone tweaks this method to work for them! I have noticed my hair feels amazing right after the clay mask (it feels moisturized and clean) When I add the leave in, it still feels soft, just not as great as when the clay was rinsed off. I am tempted to make the clay mask my final step but I am worried if I seal and go, I may experience dryness or breakage later. :perplexed:

Has anyone tried using the clay mask as their final step?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I love how everyone tweaks this method to work for them! I have noticed my hair feels amazing right after the clay mask (it feels moisturized and clean) When I add the leave in, it still feels soft, just not as great as when the clay was rinsed off. I am tempted to make the clay mask my final step but I am worried if I seal and go, I may experience dryness or breakage later. :perplexed:

Has anyone tried using the clay mask as their final step?

Based on the regular MHM, the clay is supposed to be last. When I stick to the regular MHM, I do the clay last; however when I'm doing a midweek wash I began using ACV and the clay together.

I havent experience any breakage from doing the clay last.

preciouslove0x

I really like the ACV too. Someone in this thread suggested combining the ACV and the clay together. I tried that on Wed and my hair responded well.

I honestly don't think the separate ACV and clay steps are necessary. Even for facial masks people recommend combining the clay and ACV (which is why I use the same mix to do a facial mask while I'm washing my hair now :yep:). I dare anyone to try iy this way if they don't have time to spend on doing the full mhm. You might even get better results.

bronzephoenix

I honestly don't think the separate ACV and clay steps are necessary. Even for facial masks people recommend combining the clay and ACV (which is why I use the same mix to do a facial mask while I'm washing my hair now :yep:). I dare anyone to try iy this way if they don't have time to spend on doing the full mhm. You might even get better results.

You know what? I totally thought about that... Do you do the dc before or after?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

preciouslove0x

what is the ratio of ACV to water that you are are using when you add it do your clay mix?

1 cup ACV. I only add water if I want to use a plastic Applicator bottle to apply it. Adding oil is important though

I'm glad I decided to tweak the method because I was immediately discouraged after completing it the first time. Not because it didn't work because it definitely did! It's the best thing I've done for my hair since I cut my hair off to .5 inch back in '09. The issue was that it wasn't practical. At all. Even doing it only every other day. I don't know about anyone else but it took me 2.5 hours (with the alternative dc step) from start to finish with my 4b low density bsl hair. No bueno. Not anymore though! :spinning:

eta: If you add water I'd recommend it being only 1/3 of the liquid. So 1/3 water and 2/3 ACV. Try it on your face first though. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse. In my experience the way your face reacts to the clay mix is how your hair will react. Compare two different ratios on your face. Go with the ratio that leaves your face the softest. :yep:

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Last night I didn't do the ACV rinse prior to applying my DC. When I rinse this conditioner out, I plan on doing the clay and will add the ACV to the clay.

I don't think I'm going to do WnG's this week. I think I'm going to wear some twists under a hat and then take them out on Thursday.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Just checking in ladies. I did the method using ACV and skipping the clay step. I'm still using the tressemme and the. I'll be back on the Trader's Joes. I used Blue Roze beauty's flaxseed cream gel and Hello Curły as my stylers.

I'm going to do a twistout sometime next week. I feel like I'm relearning how to do them now since I haven't been satisfied with one since I started the method.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
crimsonpeach How do you like the Blue Roze beauty's flaxseed cream gel and Hello Curły as your stylers. They are on my black friday wishlist.

The flaxseed cream gel wasn't enough to define all my curls particularly the stubborn nape and bang areas but with Hello Curly left my hair soft and not as crunchy when I use Hello Curly alone. Gave me the best wash and go so far.

Hello Curly defines my hair the best but I don't get as big hair as I do when I use KCCC. Hello Curly is my staple so far. The alikay natural gels are next on my "to try" list.

AJellyCake

I've been adding a splash of ACV to my clay mix like some folks suggested, and I've been much happier with the results. Before, the clay step was causing me problems: it felt drier and just unhappy. With the ACV my hair feels soft after, and the mix has greater spreadability.

Thanks for the suggestion!

faithVA

I've been adding a splash of ACV to my clay mix like some folks suggested, and I've been much happier with the results. Before, the clay step was causing me problems: it felt drier and just unhappy. With the ACV my hair feels soft after, and the mix has greater spreadability.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have been doing the same and I agree. My mix is now smoother and does go on much smoother. I am also not experiencing as much dryness as before but I still only leave it on for 15 minutes. I still plan to switch to rhassoul clay or pink clay because I hear they are even better.

faithVA

[USER=374975 said:
SpiceUpMyHair[/USER];20660511]faithVA. AJellyCake
So you guys are using acv in the first and third step?

I've switched my first step. I'm using castille soap in step 1. I am using acv maybe 1/8 tsp in my clay mix. I'm low porosity so in the future I may alternate between baking soda and castille soap but for not just doing the castille soap.

faithVA

[USER=374975 said:
SpiceUpMyHair[/USER];20660581]faithVA
Do Castile soap open up your hair's cuticle layer?

Yes but for me not as much as the baking soda. My castille soap has a ph of 10 so I add just a bit to my conditioner mixture to get it between an 8 and a 9.

The baking soda seems to open my cuticles more but also more than I think it needs to. If I let the baking soda sit on my hair for 20 minutes, my hair starts to tangle which is a sign that my cuticles have lifted too much. Using castille soap doesn't seem to lift as much but enough for the conditioning step.

faithVA

Do any of you guys do the LCO method with it as well?

I guess I could say that I do. I use the kknt for the L step. I use Camille Rose Almond Jai for the C step and I just use whatever oil for the O step. Put I only put the oil on after I finish styling. This is my fall regimen. In the spring I will probably just stick with the gel because it does seem to seal better. I just don't think its enough for the winter for my hair.