Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

almond eyes

I tried this method twice this week (not using the cherry lola, baking soda, or ACV for my rinses) and I liked it, but I'm not a wash n go person, especially now that winter is coming. I've only used water on my hair in the morning to freshen it up and my hair feels soft and nice. I still have definition at the very ends of each clump and if I stick my fingers into my hair I can feel the definition at the roots as well.

I think that for me the key to seeing the curls all the way to my roots was separating the hair (i.e. the manipulation) for the clay phase. I've been doing clay washes regularly for the past few years and so I did already have some clumping.

I'm wondering if I have been able to retain the moisture from sealing my hair with oil instead of gel and also regular wetting (not just misting) like @almond eyes suggested.

I don't know if oil will work best because it may just sit on top of your hair because oil is not a moisturiser but a sealant though oil is great for medium and longer natural hair because it is the ends that benefit. The roots usually have enough sebum. Try and see if something with a bit of aloe, water, oil and glycerin may help. And also try the leave in humectant coming straight out of a shower or serious sink wetting session not just misting.

Best,
Almond Eyes

snoop

I don't know if oil will work best because it may just sit on top of your hair because oil is not a moisturiser but a sealant though oil is great for medium and longer natural hair because it is the ends that benefit. The roots usually have enough sebum. Try and see if something with a bit of aloe, water, oil and glycerin may help. And also try the leave in humectant coming straight out of a shower or serious sink wetting session not just misting.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Sorry, what I meant was that my hair feels nicer now than when I do my normal LCO routine. Generally, my hair doesn't like oil, but I've found some that help with sealing my hair and keeping it soft. But it doesn't feel as soft as my hair does now not having used any oil for the week. (Well, I used a quarter sized amount on Monday on top of the gel, but no more after.)

I think with this method you're not supposed to use glycerine or protein and my hair hates aloe. This treatment isn't very different from my regular routine, but I can't figure out why? I'm wondering if steaming during each step and eliminating the oil to seal makes THAT much of a difference to my hair?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm not feeling my hair today and my hair smells like feet:lol:. I think it was me sleeping with a shower cap on and the mixture of the flaxseed gel. My hair is alittle frizzy but soft. It took me a total of 3.5hrs to do my hair yesterday and I had to rush this morning (over slept) to get it alittle dry. As I was finishing my wng yesterday, I finally realized how the creator of the MHM is able to do her WnG so fast. When I'm applying my leave-in and gel I'm running into tangles b/c I'm not using the pads of my fingers. She kinda glides her fingers in her hair. IDK. I also notice alittle breakage, due to my frustration in trying to rush and finish. I think I'll stick to my twistouts. I just do not like the way my hair and my face looks in a wng. And I get frustrated after all the work that I do for a so-called "wng" and it ends up looking like crap. I know I need to practice doing them more but I'm too frustrated
I'll post a pic in the next post.

I think I'll wash my hair this weekend and flat iron it to see if there is any significant damage. IDK

Last edited:

almond eyes

Sorry, what I meant was that my hair feels nicer now than when I do my normal LCO routine. Generally, my hair doesn't like oil, but I've found some that help with sealing my hair and keeping it soft. But it doesn't feel as soft as my hair does now not having used any oil for the week. (Well, I used a quarter sized amount on Monday on top of the gel, but no more after.)

I think with this method you're not supposed to use glycerine or protein and my hair hates aloe. This treatment isn't very different from my regular routine, but I can't figure out why? I'm wondering if steaming during each step and eliminating the oil to seal makes THAT much of a difference to my hair?

My theory is that natural hair unless it is heat damaged already is made up of enough protein so strong protein treatments are overload or unless you are gearing up to use heat protein treatments or too much protein in your products can actually make the hair rough and hard. I guess that is why strong protein never works on my hair. Glycerin and Aloe can act as proteins to some natural heads but they are mild on the protein scale. Now I will say that in my other transitions my hair hated glycerin and aloe but I think that was because my hair at the time was very dry and wasn't fully moisturised with water and I used to just put these products on my hair dry. I don't care for aloe gel too much I find it to be too gloopy. I have gone back to glycerin again in the form of s curl and some water mixed together. And I also use some aloe vera juice in the mix and I spray it on my hair and lightly go through each section of my hair. Then I don't touch my hair again until I wash my hair the next day. I also think it depends on what aloe and glycerin products you are using. Some aloe products have other things that don't make the hair so happy and feel gummy.

Now that my hair health is improving it is liking glycerin and aloe much better but it depends on the products. I still cannot use too much heavy products on my fine hair.

I also find that certain products like henna, mud washes, clays can also act as protein treatments so when washed out the hair can feel hard as well. Perhaps on lo po women not a problem but hi po could be a big one. So too many proteins like the mud wash and then the protein conditioner is protein over load.

Like you said it is a trial and error for everyone's hair. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Pics of de hair

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141003_204921.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141003_204921.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20141003_204905.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141003_204905.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20141003_204930.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141003_204930.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 98

MiamiChic

So does everyone use water for their clay mix? Or acv? I noticed some people said their clay mix is watery. Is everyone doing clay masks where your hair is still curly once applied? Because i did a clay mask & my hair was bone straight when i put it in because my mix was rather thick.

Z-kitty

So does everyone use water for their clay mix? Or acv? I noticed some people said their clay mix is watery. Is everyone doing clay masks where your hair is still curly once applied? Because i did a clay mask & my hair was bone straight when i put it in because my mix was rather thick.

I use water only for clay and I try to keep it watery so that application is easier.

bronzephoenix

Just read this entire thread & I'm so intrigued...

My mind tells me I don't have time to try this.
But my hair tells me I don't time NOT to try this...
Hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Z-kitty

I have my 5th co-wash today and can't wait until my 7 days are up. On the upside my hair is doing great and after suffering through breakage consistently for YEARS it came to a screeching halt two days into the method.

The one negative is the KCCC caused some serious scalp itch so I switched to flax seed gel and I couldn't be happier. I'm a CG convert and will be adopting this regimen after Monday to every 3 days. Loving the simplicity of the products.

Z-kitty

My mix is 1 cup clay to 3 cups water. It's hard to say how much I use in one application. I had an old 32oz dish detergent bottle that I mixed on Wednesday and after 3 washes I have half left.

cutiebe2

I did MHM for the first time last night. I like doing everything in one night. My hair feels better but not amazing, but my hair was in a very bad place so I know it will take time to get back. I am just not used to being in hot weather all the time and neither is my hair. I did have less breakage though and tangled hairs slid right out

myfaithrising

I use water and my mix is thick like cake batter. I apply until my hair is fully saturated and I separate the curl clumps. My hair is definitely still curly but it hangs a lot because of the weight of all that clay. If you thin your mix a bit it won't pull your hair as much and you should see more of a curl.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Y'all I had the best hair day yesterday. I wore a 2nd day WnG using the thicker flax seed gel that I made. All I did in the morning was wet my hair and let it air dry while I got dress and then I diffused it alittle but w/o pulling at it. I think that's how I caused the frizz on Friday when I tried to stretch it.

And when I say, I got sooooo many compliments; it was CRAZY. I met up with my sis yesterday and we had decided to sit outside at starbucks and the white male server came outside and said that I was stunning and that my curls were absolutely beautiful.

Then me and my sis went to the old navy and three AA ladies stopped me to ask me how I got my hair like this. One lady in particular even said how shiny and healthy it looked!!!!

Then me and my sis went to Bed Bath and Beyond and as we were walking over there a young AA female stopped me to tell me how much she loved my hair. Then when we got inside of the Bed Bath Beyond, two more AA ladies stopped me. When I say that my sis was HEATED, she was heated. She hates natural hair, but she finally did say that my hair did look nice and asked what I did. Now, I have been telling her about the MHM since I started doing it. But whatever.

I know we shouldn't look for people to validate us; but I have NEVER liked the way I looked in a wng. But yesterday I actually felt good about wearing my hair out before the compliments, but I was nervous about letting my sis see me, cause I thought she was going to say how nappy it looks and that I need a perm. But surprisingly she said only positive things. IDK if I'll keep with the Wng's but I can say yesterday was def a good hair day:drunk::drunk:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141005_091034.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141005_091034.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 158
  • ForumRunner_20141005_091045.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141005_091045.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20141004_135055-2.jpg
    20141004_135055-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Pompous Blue

You did that thing, girl!!!

Your WNG is beautiful! I see why you got so many compliments! I would have run up to you too!

Congratulations on your success with the maximum hydration method!

Joigirl

Y'all I had the best hair day yesterday. I wore a 2nd day WnG using the thicker flax seed gel that I made. All I did in the morning was wet my hair and let it air dry while I got dress and then I diffused it alittle but w/o pulling at it. I think that's how I caused the frizz on Friday when I tried to stretch it. And when I say, I got sooooo many compliments; it was CRAZY. I met up with my sis yesterday and we had decided to sit outside at starbucks and the white male server came outside and said that I was stunning and that my curls were absolutely beautiful. Then me and my sis went to the old navy and three AA ladies stopped me to ask me how I got my hair like this. One lady in particular even said how shiny and healthy it looked!!!! Then me and my sis went to Bed Bath and Beyond and as we were walking over there a young AA female stopped me to tell me how much she loved my hair. Then when we got inside of the Bed Bath Beyond, two more AA ladies stopped me. When I say that my sis was HEATED, she was heated. She hates natural hair, but she finally did say that my hair did look nice and asked what I did. Now, I have been telling her about the MHM since I started doing it. But whatever. I know we shouldn't look for people to validate us; but I have NEVER liked the way I looked in a wng. But yesterday I actually felt good about wearing my hair out before the compliments, but I was nervous about letting my sis see me, cause I thought she was going to say how nappy it looks and that I need a perm. But surprisingly she said only positive things. IDK if I'll keep with the Wng's but I can say yesterday was def a good hair day:drunk::drunk:

Your hair looks gorgeous! Ya'll got me wanting to try a clay rinse, but I know the old pipes in my house cant't take it. Lol

myfaithrising

Y'all I had the best hair day yesterday. I wore a 2nd day WnG using the thicker flax seed gel that I made. All I did in the morning was wet my hair and let it air dry while I got dress and then I diffused it alittle but w/o pulling at it. I think that's how I caused the frizz on Friday when I tried to stretch it. And when I say, I got sooooo many compliments; it was CRAZY. I met up with my sis yesterday and we had decided to sit outside at starbucks and the white male server came outside and said that I was stunning and that my curls were absolutely beautiful. Then me and my sis went to the old navy and three AA ladies stopped me to ask me how I got my hair like this. One lady in particular even said how shiny and healthy it looked!!!! Then me and my sis went to Bed Bath and Beyond and as we were walking over there a young AA female stopped me to tell me how much she loved my hair. Then when we got inside of the Bed Bath Beyond, two more AA ladies stopped me. When I say that my sis was HEATED, she was heated. She hates natural hair, but she finally did say that my hair did look nice and asked what I did. Now, I have been telling her about the MHM since I started doing it. But whatever. I know we shouldn't look for people to validate us; but I have NEVER liked the way I looked in a wng. But yesterday I actually felt good about wearing my hair out before the compliments, but I was nervous about letting my sis see me, cause I thought she was going to say how nappy it looks and that I need a perm. But surprisingly she said only positive things. IDK if I'll keep with the Wng's but I can say yesterday was def a good hair day:drunk::drunk:
Yes, your hair is very nice and very shiny. We put so much effort into our hair it's nice to know that it shows!!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
That hair is da bom! I just finished day one of the MHM. What did you do for day 1?

cutiebe2

I'm just finishing Day 3 now. I am skipping the clay wash because I am so tired. My hair has been feeling better but still not great. It feels rough many times and that is not like my hair, usually it feels like cotton.

I also did the flaxseed gel and it is too watery :sad: I dont want to wear a wash and go, just seal so I still may be able to use it.

bronzephoenix

Yesterday was day 1 & I'm sold. My hair is already more moisturized and defined. I nearly stopped after the Cherry Lola because I was super impressed... But I went on to clay rinse with Morrocan Red clay (Rhassoul?) and my socks were blown off. Afterward, I left my hair in a simple wng using diluted KCKT, olive oil & fsg. I blotted all of the excess water with a towel. My hair dried sooo much quicker but feels sooo much better. Juicier. Like a while new head of hair.

My only concern is volume... My twa was definitely softer and more moisturized with great definition but she felt much less plump today. I'm not sure I like that. Nonetheless, I'm going to try to complete the full 7 days. My main goal is to have effortless detangling. Day 1 of MHM is now officially indoctrinated into my HG regimen hall of fame. :)

image-1038169049.jpg
My hair after a normal co-wash with leave-in.
image-2303943251.jpg
My hair full of clay, after Cherry Lola on Day 1.
image-3731051187.jpg
After clay rinse with leave-in on Day 1.

cutiebe2

I am one day away from giving up on this method. I am going to use ACV instead of baking soda tonight and going to change the conditioner I use. If my hair doesn't feel better after that then I'm have to stop. My hair doesn't necessarily feel super dry,but very rough.

I will keep the clay wash though. I used to do it a few years ago and stopped when I ran out of clay, but its a great natural option.

Rae81

On Saturday I did clay first, then acv, deep condition and used kckt and Camilla rose twisting butter and braided it up for a braid out. My braid out is defined and not dry and ashy looking like it normally does. My scalp also isn't dry and flaky like it normally is in the front. I even scratched it to see if any flakes would come up and nothing did.

Guinan

Re-Branding
That hair is da bom! I just finished day one of the MHM. What did you do for day 1?

For day 1: I rinsed out the DC and then applied my clay. Left the clay on for about 30mins and rinsed in the shower. While in the shower I fingered detangled and applied my leave-in. Then once out of the shower I applied my flaxseed gel.

On day 2 and 3, I just wet my hair and let it air dry. I only do this method 1-2x's a week.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I am one day away from giving up on this method. I am going to use ACV instead of baking soda tonight and going to change the conditioner I use. If my hair doesn't feel better after that then I'm have to stop. My hair doesn't necessarily feel super dry,but very rough.

I will keep the clay wash though. I used to do it a few years ago and stopped when I ran out of clay, but its a great natural option.

What kind of conditioner were you using and which one are you switching too. I still used my herbal essense conditioner but yesterday tried the approved conditioner; Tressume.

After each step, how does your hair look and feel? For me, that's how I was able to tell what needed to go or stay. At first I thought the clay needed to go b/c it left my hair feeling dry; but after I use the clay, my hair responds better to the products after the clay.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Yesterday was day 1 & I'm sold. My hair is already more moisturized and defined. I nearly stopped after the Cherry Lola because I was super impressed... But I went on to clay rinse with Morrocan Red clay (Rhassoul?) and my socks were blown off. Afterward, I left my hair in a simple wng using diluted KCKT, olive oil & fsg. I blotted all of the excess water with a towel. My hair dried sooo much quicker but feels sooo much better. Juicier. Like a while new head of hair.

My only concern is volume... My twa was definitely softer and more moisturized with great definition but she felt much less plump today. I'm not sure I like that. Nonetheless, I'm going to try to complete the full 7 days. My main goal is to have effortless detangling. Day 1 of MHM is now officially indoctrinated into my HG regimen hall of fame. :)

View attachment 278805
My hair after a normal co-wash with leave-in.
View attachment 278801
My hair full of clay, after Cherry Lola on Day 1.
View attachment 278803
After clay rinse with leave-in on Day 1.

Your hair came out beautifully:yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
On Saturday I did clay first, then acv, deep condition and used kckt and Camilla rose twisting butter and braided it up for a braid out. My braid out is defined and not dry and ashy looking like it normally does. My scalp also isn't dry and flaky like it normally is in the front. I even scratched it to see if any flakes would come up and nothing did.

That's an interesting alternative to the method. Is there a reason/benefit to doing the clay 1st?

I may have to try it too see if my hair likes that. When I do the shorter version of this I apply my ACV and DV together and my hair still responds well.

cutiebe2

What kind of conditioner were you using and which one are you switching too. I still used my herbal essense conditioner but yesterday tried the approved conditioner; Tressume.

After each step, how does your hair look and feel? For me, that's how I was able to tell what needed to go or stay. At first I thought the clay needed to go b/c it left my hair feeling dry; but after I use the clay, my hair responds better to the products after the clay.

I'm using Aussie 3 min miracle but that's the only thing I really have right now. I'm in the DR and crecepelo is cheap here so I'll pick that up today. The only time my hair feels good is after the first step. :ohwell::ohwell:

KinkyRN

I'm using Aussie 3 min miracle but that's the only thing I really have right now. I'm in the DR and crecepelo is cheap here so I'll pick that up today. The only time my hair feels good is after the first step. :ohwell::ohwell:
Your hair may feel dry until all of the "bad ingredients " are removed from your strands. Although the Aussie is good it is full of cones. Also check the ingredients in the crecepelo I think there is a new formula and the old one is the MHM approved formula.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using LHCF