Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

faithVA

[USER=374975 said:
SpiceUpMyHair[/USER];20660889]faithVA
Do u dilute the Castile soap? And does it remove the product from the LCO or gel cast out of your hair?

I use about 2 oz of conditioner to 6 oz of water and then put in about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of castille soap. I add water if it is to thick depending on the conditioner. But I use ph strips to measure to make sure my ph is between 8 and 9. I haven't made enough batches to have the ratios nailed down.

My hair doesn't hold a lot of product for whatever reason. Maybe because I touch my hair too much during the week :look: And I don't use a lot of oils or butter. Both the baking soda mix and the castille soap mix remove product from my hair fairly well. I don't have a layer of product on my hair when I do the conditioning step. If I feel like my hair needs extra, I rinse and wash my hair with the castille soap mixture like I would with a regular shampoo.

AJellyCake

faithVA how long does it take for your cuticles to open up using the castille soap? This regimen would be easier for me if I didn't have to wait as long doing the first step.

faithVA

[USER=322545 said:
AJellyCake[/USER];20663825]faithVA how long does it take for your cuticles to open up using the castille soap? This regimen would be easier for me if I didn't have to wait as long doing the first step.

I really don't know. I leave it on for 30 minutes because I have other things to do. When I used the baking soda it only took 15 minutes. Does it take your hair longer than 15 minutes with the baking soda? The baking soda opens my cuticles more and probably faster than the castille soap.

Do you heat your conditioner? Perhaps you can shorten your first step anyway and just heat your conditioner. I found that heating my conditioner helped open my cuticles even when I used ACV for the first step.

faithVA

[USER=374975 said:
SpiceUpMyHair[/USER];20664177]faithVA
When u use acv do u use it with conditioner or just acv and water in the 1:1 ratio?

I just use ACV with water. I probably do more like a 1:2 ratio, ACV to water. I've never tried the 1:1. Was planning on it but tried the castille soap first and liked it. I may try the 1:1 before the year is over.

Last edited:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Haven't done a cherry lola treatment in forever. Did one last night and got great results. Definitely cut down on some of my most stubborn frizz.

I have yet to do the modified cherry lola the method calls for. I've always stuck to the original method.

AJellyCake

I really don't know. I leave it on for 30 minutes because I have other things to do. When I used the baking soda it only took 15 minutes. Does it take your hair longer than 15 minutes with the baking soda? The baking soda opens my cuticles more and probably faster than the castille soap. Do you heat your conditioner? Perhaps you can shorten your first step anyway and just heat your conditioner. I found that heating my conditioner helped open my cuticles even when I used ACV for the first step.

I can get good results after 15 minutes I think, but I noticeably better results if I leave it on for longer.

I haven't tried hearing the conditioner itself but I used to use heating caps a lot before MHM.

faithVA

[USER=322545 said:
AJellyCake[/USER];20667411]I can get good results after 15 minutes I think, but I noticeably better results if I leave it on for longer.

I haven't tried hearing the conditioner itself but I used to use heating caps a lot before MHM.

I've always used some type of heating cap but found that heating the conditioner worked much better than using a heating cap. Now I combine them.

Try doing the 15 minutes and heating the conditioner and see how that works for you.

AJellyCake

I've always used some type of heating cap but found that heating the conditioner worked much better than using a heating cap. Now I combine them. Try doing the 15 minutes and heating the conditioner and see how that works for you.

Will do. Thanks! How do you heat your conditioner?

faithVA

[USER=322545 said:
AJellyCake[/USER];20670345]Will do. Thanks! How do you heat your conditioner?

I usually just throw it in the microwave. But you can also put the container in some hot water. That takes longer so you have to prepare ahead of time. If you dilute your conditioner then you can add hot water to it.

faithVA

[USER=367733 said:
Adiatasha[/USER];20673317]View attachment 280173

4c hair with the clay step

Or maybe my hair has never been 4c

I would say you were never a 4c. That's pretty much what Pinkecube is trying to say. 4 type hair can be so dehydrated you really can't tell what it is until you hydrate it.

deborah11

I am reading through this thread, slowly because it is long. It occurred to me to ask if this method is only for those with natural hair. Will it work for texlaxed or relaxed hair? About 3 months ago I slightly texlaxed my hair (linage for 10 minutes). It still looks natural when I wash it and I have to flat iron it to get it straight. When I wash it it is clearly an afro. please advise because no need to continue reading the thread if I this method is not for my hair. Thanks.

SpiceUpMyHair

Completed day #1 of mhm today. I didn't notice a dramatic difference but that could be because I just removed a weave install which I had in for about 10 weeks. My hair loved the cherry Lola treatment though

Blairx0

I have been curious about this method. Do you ladies think it is worth trying if you are not suffering with frizz or undefinded curls? My hair can be super frizzy in yhe rootes or not depending on if I use conmerical or natural products respectively.

If yours hair isn't frizzy , dry or otherwise giving you a hard time do you think this method is a good fit?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I would say you were never a 4c. That's pretty much what Pinkecube is trying to say. 4 type hair can be so dehydrated you really can't tell what it is until you hydrate it.

This is sooo true. I always thought I was in the 3's, but since doing this method I noticed that i am mainly in the 4`s

Guinan

Re-Branding
So, I DC overnight and now I have the ACV/Clay in my hair. After I washed the DC out, my hair was VERY frizzy. But I know why. I didn't do my mid week MHM, I used a non-approved leave-in and I use eco styler gel. We'll see how my curls are after the clay/ACV.

I plan on doing the same this week; using the non-approved products. For my leave-in this week I used Alafia shea butter and for my gel I will be re-using the eco styler gel. If I were going to wear a WnG this week I would have followed the method to the T, but b/c I'm using curlformers this week; it's ok. On the plus side I diluted the eco styler gel so that it's not as thick. I think my alternate leave-in is fine to use. I really do believe it was the eco styler gel that's causing the frizz. I looked at the ingredients and it has hydrolyzed protein and glycerin:nono:. I was going to buy one of the approved gels but I just cant see myself paying 13 for a watered down gel. I need to make some more flaxseed gel, but I've been sooo lazy.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
This method takes forever and a day. How do you ladies do this every single day? I quit after day 1. :look:

faithVA

[USER=328439 said:
Blairx0[/USER];20679619]I have been curious about this method. Do you ladies think it is worth trying if you are not suffering with frizz or undefinded curls? My hair can be super frizzy in yhe rootes or not depending on if I use conmerical or natural products respectively.

If yours hair isn't frizzy , dry or otherwise giving you a hard time do you think this method is a good fit?

I would say just try it once. You have nothing to lose. You may end up with a better roller set.

faithVA

[USER said:
Froreal3;20680207[/USER]]This method takes forever and a day. How do you ladies do this every single day? I quit after day 1. :look:

Many of us normally have regimens that are longer than this anyway. People that have regimens under 2 hrs are fortunate.

Since I don't have to detangle this regimen is faster for me.

Adiatasha

Day 2... I can't do this for seven days..
My hair is past APL and I just can't.. Takes like 3 plus hours.

AJellyCake

Day 2... I can't do this for seven days.. My hair is past APL and I just can't.. Takes like 3 plus hours.

My only saving grace during the beginning period was splitting everything by doing the first 2 steps at night (cleansing and DCing overnight). Then in the morning doing the clay and styling steps.

Adiatasha

My only saving grace during the beginning period was splitting everything by doing the first 2 steps at night (cleansing and DCing overnight). Then in the morning doing the clay and styling steps.

How are you doing this?
I have to be at work every morning at 8:30 M-F

How long is this process taking you?

AJellyCake

How are you doing this? I have to be at work every morning at 8:30 M-F How long is this process taking you?

It should take the same amount of time but it's easier because I can do the first two steps at night while doing other things.

So baking soda 30 minutes at night while I read or whatever. Rinse. Add conditioner and sleep (so it's an overnight DC). Wake up. Rinse. Clay for 30 minutes (or less based on some experimentation going on in this thread). Rinse. Apply leave-in and gel. You'd have to get up at least an hour earlier--if not longer--to do it all in one fell swoop in the morning. Plus there's not too much I can do to get ready in the morning before showering for good and drying off.

I think some people have good results leaving the clay on overnight, which means in the morning they just rinse, apply leave-ins and gel, and go. But I'm not sure if everyone would have good results. I haven't tried it.

I hope that's clear! :)

The timing of everything does make it more challenging in my opinion.

CocoGlow

This method takes forever and a day. How do you ladies do this every single day? I quit after day 1. :look:

Day 2... I can't do this for seven days..
My hair is past APL and I just can't.. Takes like 3 plus hours.

Froreal3
Adiatasha

Ladies you don't have to do this regimen everyday!! The 7 consecutive day thing is just a recommendation for those who want to reach max hydration faster and even those people who finish it taper off into doing the regimen anything from every 3-7 days with great results. So if you are interested in this regimen, please don't let the 7 consecutive day introduction deter you - it's not mandatory.

Personally the most I will do it is 2x a week and my hair has made significant changes for the better! I find that overall this process takes about the same amount of time as my old regimen and I love how each step has a purpose of either opening my cuticle or filling it with moisture. Also once you reach max hydration you won't even have to do each step for the recommended time anymore - MsDeeKay (on Youtube) mentioned that NOW she can do each step back to back in the shower and can be DONE in 30mins total! :spinning::grin: Of course her hair is short & low density so that plays a factor but basically this means that it will get easier & faster for everyone as the hair reaches max hydration. :yep:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
As CocoGlow stated once you get your hair to where it needs to be, you dont have to do it often. Actually this applies for any regimen in general. Once you know the potential of your hair, when its out of whack, you can immediately know what you need to do.

As I stated earlier in the thread, Ive been doing this for years but never as a 123567 steps. Whenever I come out of a long term ps, I have a long wash day because my hair has been stretched for months on end and needs serious moisture( to curl back up). I'm past APL in the back and APL on the sides, under chin length bangs.