Any natural not cutting off thier ssknots and retaining length

keepithealthy

I try to do a light trim every 3 months when I straighten and that's when I cut them. If I let them pile up in my hair it becomes hard for me to detangle. I will add that keeping my hair moisturized and stretched has dramatically reduce them. I get most of mine in my nape area.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I will never do so again. I cut some off and my hair hasn't regained the length I've lost.:nono: Aloe vera juice helps with them, but I'm seriously thinking of using heat to eliminate them.

Sunshine_One

Wow kudos to you all who can just let them be. :blush:

I've been natural for over 5 years and they still bug the heck out of me. :perplexed I hate them. :nono: I wear stretched and straight styles mostly to avoid them. I have in the past trimmed off length to get rid of them. Those buggers are the main challenge I have with my hair.

I just can't fathom having waist length hair with knots on my strands.:blush::nono:

Yes I have issues with those knots! :yep::lol::nono:

Last edited:

Tamster

i just leave mine be. once i got a trim, and they were mostly gone only to return a week later. so i said *** it. they are annoying and i dont like feeling them but in general i just let em be. whateverrrrr

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't cut mine. I just trim the ends of my twists and that's it. I don't have time to search for them and all that mess anymore. I just came to the conclusion that they will always be there.

Me too. March 2011 is the last time I'll be cutting my hair. :)

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Anyone know if ceramides actually reduce SSKs? I've been hearing this a lot...if so, how is that? And can someone point me to a list of DC's with ceramides in them?

Morenita

I'm about 2 inches from WL and I trim my hair once or twice a year, usually when I straighten. The SSKs drive me nuts. I spend literally days cutting them out, then a week later I find more, so they definitely seem to be inevitable. They don't necessarily hinder retention for me, but I find it more difficult to detangle and they seem to get progressively worse if I don't clean them out every now and then (i.e. 2 on one strand, knots over top of knots, snagging and tangling with other healthy strands).

davisbr88

I worried so much about cutting out all of my SSKs and cut off almost year's worth of progress worrying about them. At the advice of other ladies, I've stopped worrying about them, and just like a PP said, one day I'll have a bunch and the next week, they'll be gone. So I cut any ones that truly, truly bother me but the rest I leave alone. I dust every two months and call it a day. I'll let you know how I retain by December... lol.

Arcadian

Interesting! I didn't know so many naturals fought with this. I haven't straightened my hair yet and really need to before I trim (was supposed to put a relaxer in early this month, but thats another thread tho:look::lol:)

The one thing that I found that helped me so far as keeping my hair braided most of the time.

-A

toufa

I get SSKs on my ends alot which i always cut off. :perplexed But I'm gonna try not to cut them off for the next few weeks and see what happens.

I wonder if putting shea butter on my ends, instead of just oil/vaseline would prevent SSKs? Maybe something thicker will keep the ends from curling in on each other? Anybody know?

Sunshine_One

^^^What has helped me is to keep the ends smooth. I place a roller on the ends of any braid or twist sets that I do. I also roller set my hair. Sometimes I lightly flat iron the roots, but not always. I use virgin cocunut oil. I also use Morrocan oil or One n Only Argan oil treatment seurm when I roller set.

HTH

Last edited:

toufa

^^^What has helped me is to keep the ends smooth. I place a roller on the ends of any braid or twist sets that I do. I also roller set my hair. Sometimes I lightly flat iron the roots, but not always. I use virgin cocunut oil. I also use Morrocan oil or One n Only Argan oil treatment seurm when I roller set.

HTH

That's a great idea! :thankyou: I'll start trying that this weekend. :)

growingbrown

I did a trim and thought everything was good until they returned again. So I am not trimming my hair for purposes of eliminating ssk. If I run across them while styling my hair I will cut them other than that, I'm not worrying about them again. Plus I haven't straightened my hair since my bc and don't plan to until Dec. For my bday, maybe!

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

FoxxyLocs

I cut them only when I'm doing a regular trim (every 3-4 months). I don't do S&Ds or anything. I never thought SSKs were a big deal before LHCF. They don't bother me.

Sent from my HTC Evo

coyacoy

This thread is so helpful bcuz since hitting apl the ssks have appeared out of the blue! I am fine haired so tangling is like never ending esp the longer it gets. I have been getting in the habit of trimming them but I think I'm gonna stop after reading thru this thread! Thankx ladies

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Renewed1

HTH

Great idea!

I don't cut my SSKs, the most I do is putt at the knot if it's serve until it comes a loose.

I need to keep my retention and if I can comb my hair I'm good.

cluelezz

I used to rip em out (bad habit). I always have my hands in my hair and I hate the way they feel. The knot hatred along with over-trimming has definitely hurt my retention.

I touch my hair less now so maybe that'll help.

PureSilver

Thank you for starting this thread OP. These knots were driving me crazy, i thought about cutting them off once but after careful considerations i didnt. As i read through the posts it dawned on me that i never had these suckers until i straightened my natural hair for the first time in June

So definately i won't be straightening this hair again for a very long time to come. Also i notice when my hair lacks moisture thats where they appear the most and yes i got some heat damage to my ends when i straightened in June.

As for getting rid of them, i don't plant to cut, i just gently pull them off since thy're at the snds.....Me no scissors happy at all :nono::nono: i worked and waited long and hard to get where i'm at.

KurlyNinja

Castor oil usually cuts down on my SSKs. And the only time I cut them off is when I flat iron which isn't often at all.

SimJam

I normally just leave them but occassion I do cut them (more like pull them). As long my hair doesn't tangle at the ends, I'm cool w/ them.

My bad habbit is also to rip them off, which I think has led to split ends which I nvr used to have. I HATE SSKs :nono:

I used to rip em out (bad habit). I always have my hands in my hair and I hate the way they feel. The knot hatred along with over-trimming has definitely hurt my retention.

I touch my hair less now so maybe that'll help.

I agree I also alsoway have my hand in my hair ... I may need professional help :look:... and I hate how the SSLs feel so I pop them off. Im on a pesonal challenge "no touch" challenge which I hope will help:perplexed

cluelezz how did you stop touching your hair???

cluelezz

SimJam I think I'm just over it. I don't care about my hair nearly as much as I did the first 2 years. I'm actually sick of it. It's so much work..

Embyra

I read on longhairforum the white women with bone straight hair complaining of them they call them fairyknots....

I have them but they get worse when i dont fingerstyle my hair likes for its curls to be defined and separated
I will cut them off every now and then but i refuse to let them stress me out im retaining length just fine:yep:

Last edited: