Split ends and not retaining length. Please Help.

lilsparkle825

Great advice in here!

I may have been reading too fast, but I didn't see you address cowashing specifically. I, too, love the feeling of water on my hair and scalp, which is really why I do it so frequently....but have you thought about cowashing once or twice a week and shampooing only once a week? For instance, you could cowash on T+Th and shampoo/DC on Sundays, or cowash only on Wednesdays and shampoo/DC on Sundays. Between the increased moisture from this and a moisturizing DC and the decreased protein (which has been covered so much a rehash is unnecessary...lol) hopefully you will start to retain.

Also, how does the KCKT work for you? Is it moisturizing enough? I wanted to like it sooo bad, but it wasn't nearly moisturizing enough for me, a sentiment I have heard from other women as well. If it works fine, that's great, but if not, maybe you need something else. Also, is coconut oil really the best oil for your ends? Since you're having a major problem with splits, could something like an EVOO/castor oil blend (which is lighter than straight castor oil) be more nourishing? Just throwing out stuff I didn't think of the first time.

HHG and good luck :)

luckiestdestiny

Thanks so much for this. How often did you take down your braids? I think you hit the nail on the head, with your comments about twists. I ended up messing them too much which was too much manipulation- part of the reason why I don't do them as much.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Basically when they get frizzy. I try to make them last as long as possible without matting of course (but then the cowboy magic or just for me detangling spray helps there. I spray it on liberally before slowly detangling and separating braids) approx 2- 3 wks or so (when in braids I only use my own hair, and don't add any) especially when I get a braider to do it that was recommended to me by a member of lhcf. She's amazing and doesn't tug too hard, doesn't rip through my hair, and despite this braids perfectly (without making it too tight). Really I don't know how she does it but it makes me happy.

Last edited:

sapphire18

abcd09 Are you relaxed bone straight? Sometimes if there is a big difference between your relaxed texture and your natural texture breakage along the demarcation line can occur. The line of demarcation area can be weak or the hair gets easily tangled there resulting in breakage. You may need to moisturize and condition your hair well during your relaxer stretch to protect the line of demarcation. Split ends are symptomatic of hair shaft disorders and frequently occur due to dry, brittle and damaged hair. Since split ends cannot be repaired, they split up the hair shaft until the strand eventually breaks off. Chemical treatments such as perms or relaxers break the bonds of your hair, which may make your hair weaker and more susceptible to breakage, damage and split ends. You may want to avoid alcohol-based products which can can dry out your hair and leave it brittle and weak.

Sources:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/265141-what-causes-hair-breakage-split-ends/
http://www.antihairslave.com/2009/01/line-of-demarcation.html

abcd09

@abcd09 Are you relaxed bone straight? Sometimes if there is a big difference between your relaxed texture and your natural texture breakage along the demarcation line can occur. The line of demarcation area can be weak or the hair gets easily tangled there resulting in breakage. You may need to moisturize and condition your hair well during your relaxer stretch to protect the line of demarcation. Split ends are symptomatic of hair shaft disorders and frequently occur due to dry, brittle and damaged hair. Since split ends cannot be repaired, they split up the hair shaft until the strand eventually breaks off. Chemical treatments such as perms or relaxers break the bonds of your hair, which may make your hair weaker and more susceptible to breakage, damage and split ends. You may want to avoid alcohol-based products which can can dry out your hair and leave it brittle and weak.

Sources:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/265141-what-causes-hair-breakage-split-ends/
http://www.antihairslave.com/2009/01/line-of-demarcation.html
@sapphire18 I'm not relaxed bone straight, but I'm not texlaxed either. Regardless, I'm sure there are parts that are relaxed more than others on my head. I do make sure I moisturize and seal daily. Also I'm not sure if it's only the relaxer, because when I was younger and natural my ends would always "ball up" and break off. I know we didn't have as healthy hair care practices back then. but it seems like my hair is prone to them, relaxed or natural.

Last edited:

tmhuggiebear

JJamiah Thanks so much for the offer. I might have to take you up on that if these other methods don't work out. And yes, I've been meaning to get Hair One. I actually used it before and just never bought it again when it ran it. I also want to try Wen.

lilsparkle825 The KCKT is surprisingly very moisturizing for my hair. However, may since I've been having this problem I should re-analyze that product. And thanks about the idea to mix the evoo and castor. I've actually thought about using evoo and castor oil separately but thought it might be a little too heavy for my hair. It's good to know that mixing the oils together make it somewhat lighter.

sapphire18

@sapphire18 I'm not relaxed bone straight, but I'm not texlaxed either. Regardless, I'm sure there are parts that are relaxed more than others on my head. I do make sure I moisturize and seal daily. Also I'm not sure if it's only the relaxer, because when I was younger and natural my ends would always "ball up" and break off. I know we didn't have as healthy hair care practices back then. but it seems like my hair is prone to them, relaxed or natural.

abcd09 If your ends "ball up and break off" before going further up the hair shaft your breakage may not be caused by split ends. When I was relaxed I had to be careful not to over moisturize my hair. I had to use protein to strengthen my hair to prevent breakage. I was MBL at my longest when I was relaxed (I do know relaxed hair can grow long). Healthy hair isn't prone to breakage. But, I am sure once you figure out what is causing the breakage problem you won't have any more problems growing your hair in the future.