Natural: I'm Mad as He!! and I ain't going back to the NAPP 24/7

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Knots are the reason I'm relaxed.

I got them when I was natural. I'd trim and they'd be right back again almost immediately.

TrustMeLove

Knots come with being natural. When I was natural, it didnt even bother me. I got used to it. Somehow the hair in it natural state, well my hair 4z, would knot around itself. I dont think its due to damage or bad care, it is what it is.

Yea it seems to come with being natural, but I thought a certain regimen would help. However, when I've straightened my hair I can SEE the knots and the split ends it has created. That is not cool. Split ends create splits up the hair shaft

And yea what you described above is my exact situation too.

TCatt86

Ok, I did have a some of those. I didn't realize what it was!:lachen:I thought they were shed hairs wrapped around the other hairs. I just pull them out. Is that bad?:lachen:

:lachen: I just saw my first knot about two weeks ago and I did the same thing:perplexed. I wear my hair mostly natural so it doesn't bother me, and I get my hair professionally straightened and he runs througn my hair with a pressing comb. If my stylist doesn't talk about how unhealthy my hair is I know its not because he tells it like it is.

NikStarrr

:lachen: I just saw my first knot about two weeks ago and I did the same thing:perplexed. I wear my hair mostly natural so it doesn't bother me, and I get my hair professionally straightened and he runs througn my hair with a pressing comb. If my stylist doesn't talk about how unhealthy my hair is I know its not because he tells it like it is.

See that's what I'm thinking. It sounds like ssk's are part of having super curly hair...and if it's not causing any problems, i.e. splits--then I wouldn't overly worry about it. Because ya can't win. :spinning: Well, unless you wear your hair straight more often. I wear my hair straight here and there and haven't noticed anything yet. I guess I'll deal with that hurdle when I get there.

cutiebe2

It depends how you wear you hair on a daily basis. I wear my hair stretched so that it cannot get too tangly and get those knots. Its going to be trial and error until you find something that works for you

JustKiya

Knots come with being natural. When I was natural, it didnt even bother me. I got used to it. Somehow the hair in it natural state, well my hair 4z, would knot around itself. I dont think its due to damage or bad care, it is what it is.

This is what I was going to say. It's not that you are doing anything wrong, I don't think. It's perfectly normal for some natural hair types to do this. If you want to wear your hair straight some times then it might be a problem because they don't look so good straight. At least from what I could tell, my ssks don't cause splits in any way. I have so few splits that I see one on average once every 2-3 months, but I have tons of single strand knots. If there are a lot of them, though, and you wear out styles a lot, I think they do contribute to larger more complex knots, though.

Yeah that. I ignore them, generally. I can feel them when I'm running through my hair, but lord knows I can't see them unless I'm real up close and personal with the strand of hair. I haven't straightened my hair, so I don't know how or if it will affect how that looks - if it looks weird though, I just won't straighten my hair. :lachen: :look:

They don't see to contribute to splits for me, and about 50% the time they are in the middle of one of my knots - don't know if they actually contribute to the tangle, since 85% of the time, my tangles/knots are due to shed hairs getting busy in the midst of everything - but I figure about half my hair has knots on it - and I don't wear wash and go's! :lol:

I don't think that knots = split ends, either. Correlation, possibly, but I'm doubting causation.

I got them =\:perplexed Trimmed them the heck off when I straightened in May. They came back pretty quickly. So I just leave them be. I try to not mind them, unless it's one of the ones that tangles with other hair strands. I think they're kinda inevitable...But yea, wearing your hair out definitely won't reduce it.

FeelinIt

Question. Other than seeing them when closely examining your strands, how else do you ladies know that the single strand knots are there? Are they causing your hair to break? Do you feel them? Because if it's single strand then the actual knot can't be bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. haha I'm asking because I haven't noticed any yet with my own eyes, but am wondering if there are other ways to tell.

They literally snag and hook onto my clothing. I have LOTS of them and they entangle themselves with the other knots and ball endings and give my ends a really rough feel. When I run my fingers through my press, I can feel them SNAP, CRACKLE and POP, seriously.

I saw one strand with a knot at the end and a white hair at the bottom of the knot. It did not look like a regular gray hair. It looked like the damn knot sucked the "life" out of that end of my hair strand.

Evolving78

i didn't see any of that when i had straighten my hair. my cousin just gave me a little trim, since i really didn't have one done since i was natural last year. i had a lot of shedding going on too. i have gotten a few knots and that was when i didn't do anything to my hair for almost a week and was wearing a scarf, smashing it down.

Southernbella.

Can you explain what you mean when you say heat helps your hair? Less tangles or knots?

Overall, I think it's helped with the way my hair looks in its nappy state. I guess because when I straighten, I dust any raggedy ends away and the heat smooths my cuticles. Plus, all that combing during the straightening process gets rid of any tangles I might have missed in my nappy state.

Hmmm...I think I just had a lightbulb moment!:grin:

imstush

I never thought I had them either. I went to the Phyto salon where they use this microscope, and I had a lot of them! The stylist told me what would help is doing more rollersets.

starfish888

I haven't had this happen yet, and quite frankly.... You're scaring this ole transitioning gal (I don't want to struggle with natural hair - I've struggled a lifetime with relaxed hair).... OK... my question is: what's your regimen and do you use any naturally made products like the Irish moss, or honey, or linseed gel? Sort of trying to go through a mental process of elimination.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I have had them forever. YEARS!! I don't even care anymore. The only time I think about them is when I run my fingers over my ends. I can't see them when my hair is flat ironed, the ones I can see I snip unless they are several inches up the strand.

I just figure that my hair is attracted to itself and leave it a that.

ChocoKitty

I get them and I just dust them with mustache scissors as I see them. I agree with others who say heat helps. In addition, I've start doing the "chase comb" method when straightening. The straighter the ends the less they curl into themselves and/or others.

AtlantaJJ

Overall, I think it's helped with the way my hair looks in its nappy state. I guess because when I straighten, I dust any raggedy ends away and the heat smooths my cuticles. Plus, all that combing during the straightening process gets rid of any tangles I might have missed in my nappy state.

I totally agree with you insight regarding heat based upon my natural hair in the past.

Also using the Denman once per week in the shower with conditioner helps to keep the knots out as well.

Mrs.TheBronx

My iron is a Sally's bootleg, so my temps have been rubbed off for quite some time.:lachen:If I had to guess, and 450 was the highest, I'd say around 400 degrees (with LOTS of heat protectant).

What REALLY makes the difference for me is chasing the a fine-tooth comb with the flat iron. Now I see why good old-fashioned presses are the best. Something about the comb and the way it lets the heat get through really gets my hair straight and prevents reversion. :yep:

How does that sallys iron work (GVP) for you. :) just wanting to know cause I am thinking about getting it. :)

africa

You and me both!:clap: