Split ends and not retaining length. Please Help.

tmhuggiebear

For quite some time now I have been stuck at around shoulder/armpit length and I'm not so sure how to get past this. I'm a fine haired natural so I know my hair can't take too much. For a while I couldn't figure out why until I blowdried my hair straight one day and realized that my hair was all split. I immediately did a search and destroy. Starting in about February/March I started trimming my hair every 5-7 weeks. I also eliminate splits sporadically in between as I find them. However, splits continue to be an issue. I had a detangling issue a while back in which I credited most of my splits and inability to retain length to tangles and single strand knots. Once I started detangling with the Tangle Teezer the splits have drastically subsided. However, they haven't completely disappeared and length retention continues to be an issue.

Below is my regimen: Could anyone suggest any help to end split ends completely and continue growing long hair.

I wash my hair about 2-3 times per week. I usually deep condition with Shescentit Banana Brulee once a week. I wash/clarify in braids with Kinky Curly Come Clean and us Knot Today as a leave-in. I also use Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor once a week. After washing I usually follow up with coconut oil or Shescentit Moisture Mist. I use Aphogee two step protein treatment once a month. My hair seems to really like protein. Each night I put my hair in 6-8 braids to eliminate tangles when sleeping.

I protective style 95% of the time. Earlier this year I also tried wearing my hair in two-strand twists for an extending amount of time to eliminate stress and tension on the hair. But splits and lack of retention continued to be an issue.

I have a very healthy diet. I take a multi-vitamin daily, stay away from junk food, and eat alot of fruits. I admit my water intake could be better. I also take ballet classes once a week and try to run three times a week.

Could anyone make any suggestions? Thanks in advance

ETA: And yes, I did discontinue use of the Tangle Teezer for a while and the split ends continued so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

When you say you wash 2-3 times per week, do you mean with shampoo? I know that my hair could never take that much shampoo -- much too drying. However, I know it works for some people. What PS do you wear? How often are you detangling? For me, more than once a week is too much manipulation.

I am a fine haired natural, too and I just reached MBL. I reached BSL last June then got in the way of a SHS and went back to APL. I got back to BSL in three months with buns (mostly wet buns) and continued doing it just out of ease and convenience. That and cowashing have been my hair's saving grace.

DrC

I'm sorry you're having problems.

Few questions

Is there a particular reason as to why you wash your hair 2-3 times a week?

How many times out of the month do you clarify?

For a fine haired natural, I think you are doing more than you need to with your hair. Unless your hair is extremely damaged, a reconstructor is only necessary once or twice out the month. Plus it contains protein also, so your hair may have a protein overload since you also do the Aphogee treatment.
I'd say cut down on some of the protein, less washing and try to balance with moisture by
Oil rinses, co-washing and deep conditioning.

Another thing that I found out is the seams in combs were causing my split ends. I either finger comb or use a seamless comb if I can.

I hope this helps. Happy Hair Growing :bighug:

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

I've read that a catnip tea rinse used after shampooing but before conditioning can prevent splits.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

tmhuggiebear

To be honest, I never really had a reason for washing my hair 2-3 times a week. It just seemed like a good amount. There are some days that I do it only once a week depending on how "dirty" and dry my hair feels. But most of the time I wash twice a week. I was clarifying once every week with Kinky Curly come Clean, but very recently decided to stop doing that. I started using Elucence shampoo about once every week or two weeks in place of the clarifying with KCCC. Do you think that is still too much?

I did consider that maybe I was using too much protein but then I also figured that maybe the protein was good since my hair seems to need to be "built back up." My hair always seemed so much stronger after using Aphogee each month.

My protective style consists mostly off buns 90% of the time, and two strand twists sparingly. I also do a Kimmaytube style frequently in which my hair is rolled up and pinned.

Thanks so much for the input ladies. It's truly appreciated.

I would definitely cut down on washing, perhaps try co-washing instead to help with moisture in your ends- clarifying and hardcore treatments combined could be drying your hair.

You're doing more than enough TLC, and the only thing you could possibly do is up your water intake.

Not to freak you out, but have you considered getting a check up? I'm fine-haired too, but I recently found out I'm anemic. Taking iron pills regularly as well as other vitamins has made the biggest difference! It could be the smallest thing you need to tweak for retaining more length

silenttullip

Yep I'm curious about the frequent shampooing unless you have a scalp issue and I'd still try an alternative.
I think you may just be prone to tangling which can create splits... Although my hair is kind of fine I get tangles easily... My hair is much happier when I dust like I should and trim on a regular basis. You may just need a good trim or although your hair likes protein you may require a deep moisture treatment. hth

Cherokee-n-Black

Are you moisturizing your ends specifically? Also, your trimming regimen/frequency is a maintenance frequency. A grow-out frequency would be about 4 - 6 months in my experience.

Lucia

I agree your doing too much for fine hair, I have thick hair and I don't do all that. You don't need that heavy Aphogee 2 step every month that's too soon even for damaged hair. I would leave that for every 2-3 months. and use a light to medium protein for every month. Also unless you have very oily scalp you don't need to shampoo that often you're just drying out your ends. Dry ends=split ends=breakage=less growth retention.

You should try water washing and or co-washing (you want to wet your hair more often and for the moisture) then shampoo or clarify 2x a month, you may have some residue shampoo left over if you're rinsing in braids make sure to open your hair and rinse well with warm water save the cold rinse for last if you cold rinse at all.
Up your moisture factor, try to baggie every once in a while to help with that.

tmhuggiebear

I would definitely cut down on washing, perhaps try co-washing instead to help with moisture in your ends- clarifying and hardcore treatments combined could be drying your hair.

You're doing more than enough TLC, and the only thing you could possibly do is up your water intake.

Not to freak you out, but have you considered getting a check up? I'm fine-haired too, but I recently found out I'm anemic. Taking iron pills regularly as well as other vitamins has made the biggest difference! It could be the smallest thing you need to tweak for retaining more length

You may be on to something. For years, my family has had hunch that I may be anemic, but I never really cared to check into it. I may need to do that.

Yep I'm curious about the frequent shampooing unless you have a scalp issue and I'd still try an alternative.
I think you may just be prone to tangling which can create splits... Although my hair is kind of fine I get tangles easily... My hair is much happier when I dust like I should and trim on a regular basis. You may just need a good trim or although your hair likes protein you may require a deep moisture treatment. hth

My hair is definitely prone to tangles. But sleeping and washing in braids and using the Tangle Teezer has definitely cut back on that. I never realized that I may be washing too much. I think I just like the feeling of getting my hair wet. Should I just cut it down to once a week a then? Or what about twice a week? Would that still be too much.

BERlin

tmhuggiebear, cute name!

I'm just below shoulder length in the back, and nose length in the front so I won't be offended if you take my advice with just a grain of salt. However, I'm also a fine haired natural. I see you are very generous with the protein treatments you give your hair, but have you ever thought about henna as a replacement for aphogee? The results last much longer, and it has extra conditioning effects such as smoothing the cuticle for some. Also, for me, excessive heat, not detangling each time I wash, and not regularly tying up my hair when I'm having down time and sleeping are major causes of all types of assault on my ends.
If none of this sounds reasonable, or you have all bases covered I'd say you may have to add other elements to your regimen like oil rinsing (helps detangle, less wear and tear from combs/brushes), baggying, or hiding your ends with wigs, buns, or another alternative.
Hope that helps.

Guitarhero

If you feel cleaner with 2-3x per week washing, get a pure coconut oil and saturate hair for 15 min. to 1 hour before washing. Use non-sulphate shampoo. Use bunning for your hair and see if that won't help improve things. You are also using a lot of heavy protein in your hair. Try a deep conditioning weekly and omit the reconstructor and Aphogee monthly.

tmhuggiebear

Are you moisturizing your ends specifically? Also, your trimming regimen/frequency is a maintenance frequency. A grow-out frequency would be about 4 - 6 months in my experience.

Hmmm... I never thought that my trimming frequency might be a problem. It does make sense that cutting too much won't help much with growth. I moisturize my ends nightly with coconut oil.

I agree your doing too much for fine hair, I have thick hair and I don't do all that. You don't need that heavy Aphogee 2 step every month that's too soon even for damaged hair. I would leave that for every 2-3 months. and use a light to medium protein for every month. Also unless you have very oily scalp you don't need to shampoo that often you're just drying out your ends. Dry ends=split ends=breakage=less growth retention.

You should try water washing and or co-washing (you want to wet your hair more often and for the moisture) then shampoo or clarify 2x a month, you may have some residue shampoo left over if you're rinsing in braids make sure to open your hair and rinse well with warm water save the cold rinse for last if you cold rinse at all.
Up your moisture factor, try to baggie every once in a while to help with that.

I actually used the Aphogee that frequently because I figured that my split ends meant that I have damaged hair. I could certainly lessen the frequency of my usage.

And I actually did have a problem with residue when washing in braids previously. I should probably re-visit that issue and make sure I all product. And I never used to rinse with cold water. I guess I may have to start doing that.
tmhuggiebear, cute name!

I'm just below shoulder length in the back, and nose length in the front so I won't be offended if you take my advice with just a grain of salt. However, I'm also a fine haired natural. I see you are very generous with the protein treatments you give your hair, but have you ever thought about henna as a replacement for aphogee? The results last much longer, and it has extra conditioning effects such as smoothing the cuticle for some. Also, for me, excessive heat, not detangling each time I wash, and not regularly tying up my hair when I'm having down time and sleeping are major causes of all types of assault on my ends.
If none of this sounds reasonable, or you have all bases covered I'd say you may have to add other elements to your regimen like oil rinsing (helps detangle, less wear and tear from combs/brushes), baggying, or hiding your ends with wigs, buns, or another alternative.
Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the name compliment! And of course I appreciate your advice. Lack of excessive length certainly doesn't mean you have no knowledge of healthy hair practices. I have considered using Henna before but I've always been a little apprehensive about it. Mostly because I'm still not exactly sure how to use it. I've never tried baggying before, but I have done oil rinsing a few times. I definitely liked the results of the oil rinsing. I may add baggying to my regimen as well

If you feel cleaner with 2-3x per week washing, get a pure coconut oil and saturate hair for 15 min. to 1 hour before washing. Use non-sulphate shampoo. Use bunning for your hair and see if that won't help improve things. You are also using a lot of heavy protein in your hair. Try a deep conditioning weekly and omit the reconstructor and Aphogee monthly.

I'll probably eliminate the Aphogee since the general consensus is that it is way too much for fine hair. However should the reconstructor be eliminated for weekly use too? Should I use that once a month instead? And I definitely like the idea of saturating hair with coconut oil. I think I will definitely have to try that. I love coconut and vitamin e oil.

Lucia

Warm water is better to rinse out product, not cold, people do cold water rinse last so they can lay down the hair cuticle and get shinier hair. I never do that cold rinse either.
I'd say start using the hair reconstructor every 2 weeks first and see how you do and then tweak it. If you need it more or less often. Also I forgot to ask if you DC with moisturizing conditioner after all that protein light or heavy. The Aphogee 2 step has a balancing moisturizer I always use that as my 1st follow up and recommend that everyone else do the same, then if you want to moisture DC or follow up with your fav moisture cond do that.
That's also very important you must at least follow up with moisturizing conditioner even if it's only for 5 mins afterwards.

Last edited:

keepithealthy

I agree with what has been said. I will add that as a natural my hair would be very dry if I washed it with shampoo that frequently. I would suggest trying cowashing my hair is really enjoying it this summer.

tmhuggiebear

Warm water is better to rinse out product, not cold, people do cold water rinse last so they can lay down the hair cuticle and get shinier hair. I never do that cold rinse either.
I'd say start using the hair reconstructor every 2 weeks first and see how you do and then tweak it. If you need it more or less often. Also I forgot to ask if you DC with moisturizing conditioner after all that protein light or heavy. The Aphogee 2 step has a balancing moisturizer I always use that as my 1st follow up and recommend that everyone else do the same, then if you want to moisture DC or follow up with your fav moisture cond do that.
That's also very important you must at least follow up with moisturizing conditioner even if it's only for 5 mins afterwards.

Thanks for the advice about the reconstructor. I will certainly use that. And yes I always follow up with moisturizing conditioner after any use of protein. That's actually why I thought the protein usage wasn't a problem since I always used moisturizing conditioner. Thanks to all you lovely ladies, I'm beginning to realize that too much protein is too much protein regardless of how much moisturizing conditioner you use or follow up with.

Thanks again everyone. All of this info is truly appreciated!

silenttullip

Yep if you just like the feeling try cowashing 1 or 2x a week and if you need to then shampoo once a week or do as 1 person suggested and try coconut oil.
I personally sometimes wash 2x a week but its like every 4 days because my scalp gets oily and flaky if it wasn't for that 1x every 7 days would be suitable. Also if you just like your hair getting wet you could grab a spray bottle and spritz with water a few times a week it would also do your hair good moisture wise

Cherokee-n-Black

Hmmm... I never thought that my trimming frequency might be a problem. It does make sense that cutting too much won't help much with growth. I moisturize my ends nightly with coconut oil.

I actually used the Aphogee that frequently because I figured that my split ends meant that I have damaged hair. I could certainly lessen the frequency of my usage.

And I actually did have a problem with residue when washing in braids previously. I should probably re-visit that issue and make sure I all product. And I never used to rinse with cold water. I guess I may have to start doing that.

Thanks so much for the name compliment! And of course I appreciate your advice. Lack of excessive length certainly doesn't mean you have no knowledge of healthy hair practices. I have considered using Henna before but I've always been a little apprehensive about it. Mostly because I'm still not exactly sure how to use it. I've never tried baggying before, but I have done oil rinsing a few times. I definitely liked the results of the oil rinsing. I may add baggying to my regimen as well

I'll probably eliminate the Aphogee since the general consensus is that it is way too much for fine hair. However should the reconstructor be eliminated for weekly use too? Should I use that once a month instead? And I definitely like the idea of saturating hair with coconut oil. I think I will definitely have to try that. I love coconut and vitamin e oil.

We just have to find a way to protect them ends! For me, it was bunning, (and moisturizing). I actually disagree on nixing the Aphogee. Just ease up on the frequency (hey, wait a minute, that's the same advice I gave about the trims! LOL) I have fine hair and I used it after every chem service when I was (completely) relaxed. I'm actually sitting under the dryer with it now! LOL. Going to go back to doing it on the reg every 6 - 8 weeks since my hair is so vulnerable during the transition. If I had to hazard a guess, I think you need to find a protective style that works for your ends. There's just no one size fits all approach. But good luck!

lettieg27

I agree on not cutting the protein as a fine fine haired natural it is a must but there are lots of other types of protein trratments that will benefit ur hair but not be as heavy like wheat protein or silk proteini think the issue is the shampoo

Curlykale

I am one of those people who stopped having split ends once I said bye bye to combs and brushes. I would shampoo only when needed, co-wash all the other times and finger detangle when co-washing to see what happens (which is also what I do all the time). Sealing your ends with a ceramide oil could help as well (i.e. sunflower, hemp, wheat germ), it made a difference when I started to have single strand knots. By the way I agree with all the precious advice here, shampooing more than once a week dries my hair out.

Katherina

It might just be old damage... and in that case there's nothing you can do but be gentle and wait. It took me a little over a year at APL before my hair started getting longer again. It was a trying time but all I could do was trim until all the damage was gone.

Either way, you're going to need to be extra gentle with your hair - combing, styling, washing, etc.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been feeling the same way about having split ends and not retaining length. I've been natural for 6 years and still at APL! I truly think it is because of my very tightly coiled hair texture. I also have manipulated my hair alot throughout the years. This year, I thought it was the use of heat causing splits, but I can't really say that's the reason anymore. Just like right now, for the past 3 months, I've been wearing two strand twists. My hair is still armpit length. And I still got splits even though I got a trim in April. I think I get splits because of not handling my ends very very VERY gently, no matter what I do with my hair. I'm starting to notice that I'm always in a rush when dealing with my hair. Being in a rush will cause me to be rough with my hair. So getting splits seems inevitable, but I think I just really need to be more and more patient with my hair. As the other ladies have said, I would cut down on the shampooing your hair because it can definitely dry your hair out.

Last edited:

sapphire18

What shampoo do you use?

Clarifying with apple cider vinegar is gentler. You may have to only clarify with your current clarifier once a month.

Since individual hair lengths vary you may be missing splits that are further up.

If your hair is dry, you needed more moisture, rather than protein. Protein on hair that is dry/has split-ends only exacerbates the problem, as protein makes the hair drier. If at any point you hair becomes over moisturized or you process you hair, you would then use a heavy protein treatment. I learned of this from an Amazon review for Aphogee.

tmhuggiebear

It might just be old damage... and in that case there's nothing you can do but be gentle and wait. It took me a little over a year at APL before my hair started getting longer again. It was a trying time but all I could do was trim until all the damage was gone.

Either way, you're going to need to be extra gentle with your hair - combing, styling, washing, etc.

I was wondering about this since splits in my hair seem to be never ending. It gets so depressing.

I've been feeling the same way about having split ends and not retaining length. I've been natural for 6 years and still at APL! I truly think it is because of my very tightly coiled hair texture. I also have manipulated my hair alot throughout the years. This year, I thought it was the use of heat causing splits, but I can't really say that's the reason anymore. Just like right now, for the past 3 months, I've been wearing two strand twists. My hair is still armpit length. And I still got splits even though I got a trim in April. I think I get splits because of not handling my ends very very VERY gently, no matter what I do with my hair. I'm starting to notice that I'm always in a rush when dealing with my hair. Being in a rush will cause me to be rough with my hair. So getting splits seems inevitable, but I think I just really need to be more and more patient with my hair. As the other ladies have said, I would cut down on the shampooing your hair because it can definitely dry your hair out.

Thanks so much for expressing this. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling with this. However, I wish neither one of us were. Evidently, I follow your threads periodically and we seem to have a lot of the same hair issues. No matter what, split ends will seem to always be in the picture. I just wish I can retain length despite it. By the way, I love the photo in your signature!

What shampoo do you use?

Clarifying with apple cider vinegar is gentler. You may have to only clarify with your current clarifier once a month.

Since individual hair lengths vary you may be missing splits that are further up.

If your hair is dry, you needed more moisture, rather than protein. Protein on hair that is dry/has split-ends only exacerbates the problem, as protein makes the hair drier. If at any point you hair becomes over moisturized or you process you hair, you would then use a heavy protein treatment. I learned of this from an Amazon review for Aphogee.

I was actually thinking that I may have splits at different levels. From time to time I do find some mid-strand splits which is extremely frustrating. I just keep cutting up the strands and hope that it all ends.

I certainly think I will follow your advice and that of all the other ladies who echoed the suggestion of cutting back on shampooing and protein. Hopefully, this will make a difference soon enough because I'm starting to loose patience.

luckiestdestiny

You may need less manipulation and washing that frequently is too much manipulation. YOu might also need to cut down on the protein. IDK. I'm fine haired and natural (but have dense hair or in other words tons of strands so it looks like I'm thick haired), and I've noticed that less is more for me. I also notice my hair doesn't do heavy protein and craves moisture. SO I concentrate on moisture and use silk or wheat protein if needed. I also co wash more than shampoo. SO perhaps you might want to alternate. You might want to adjust and tweak your regimen in order to see what makes your hair thrive.

abcd09

You may need less manipulation and washing that frequently is too much manipulation. YOu might also need to cut down on the protein. IDK. I'm fine haired and natural (but have dense hair or in other words tons of strands so it looks like I'm thick haired), and I've noticed that less is more for me. I also notice my hair doesn't do heavy protein and craves moisture. SO I concentrate on moisture and use silk or wheat protein if needed. I also co wash more than shampoo. SO perhaps you might want to alternate. You might want to adjust and tweak your regimen in order to see what makes your hair thrive.
you have fine hair?? wow your hair looks so lush!

I have problems with splits as well, OP. I havent been natural since I was 12, but even then my hair was split and would knot and mat pretty easily. My strands are pretty fine. Retaining is a problem. I've been within an inch of the same length for a year or two years. My hair is of course growing, but retaining nothing. I envy those whose ends don't split as bad. They seem like magic.

I've noticed that my hair likes to mat at the roots which leads to splits while detangling, and when straight and trimmed it will still split from god knows what.

Some things I have tried are:
-Rolling ends at night to keep them from rubbing together
-Keeping hair off shoulders- doesnt seem to work , but is better than hair down
-Tucking ends- only ratted them out/dried them out.
-Trimming often- would keep splitting no matter what
-Low mani- fine hair plus not coming= MAT CITY. :nono: My hair must be combed with a wide tooth comb everyday, especially when stretching relaxer
-Washing in rollers to stretch roots/prevent matting which leads to splits- works somewhat but is difficult to wash this way.
-ACV rinses- helps a lot with tangles
-Profectiv products- I want to go back to these. I think they helped my ends slightly more than now.
-Moisturizing ends/sealing- I've been doing this for years. Still no big change
-Buying shears and trimming myself-still get splits, can maintain for a day.

I'm still on the look out for something that works. Maybe I have damage, but I'm sure if I cut it off, the new ends will split within minutes.

luckiestdestiny

^^THinking of what you're saying about matting...there's a product I use...actually two depending on what's in my shelf. I don't detangle without them: cowboy magic or just for me (yes it's for kids by soft sheen) detangling spray. My goal is to only lose the strands intended to lose through natural shedding, but not breakage. minimize all hair loss at all costs is my mantra (at least from breakage versus natural shed hairs, etc)

Also I forgot to add this in the previous post. A low manipulation hair style...you might have to sacrifice and go for it until you get to your next length: Some people wig it, some weave it, and some braid it. I've done the latter two for the past two years (with mostly braiding as my primary for most of that time frame). That way your hands are out of your hair, and you only have to detangle on take down. Your hair can remain stretched (so no ssk and if you take the braids out slowly ...I've found no to very little split ends).

You've got to decide what do you need to do to get you to your next goal? I never resort to twists, though some thrive in them. Perhaps because I know that I'm going to have to retwist every couple of days and that's too much manipulation imo (and I decided not to do it at least until I get to my final goals. After that if I have a few splits to cut away every once and a while it won't matter because I'll have to cut to maintain length anyways because I won't want it to get any longer). If I'm wearing my hair out it's in a stretched state (again to avoid ssk or splits): braids, flat ironed, lightly blow out, etc.

I noticed you mentioned twists, and I just realized you're washing what 3 xs a week, and then retwisting those fine strands of yours. Perhaps your hair can't handle that (plus the frequent and drying [from shampoo only] washing) and it's time for a new hairstyle option until you get to your goal. Once there, twist away (because heck you'll want to stay at the same length anyways and will constantly cut to maintain so you'll never have to worry about splits and ssk again with all the trimming)

Last edited:

tmhuggiebear

^^THinking of what you're saying about matting...there's a product I use...actually two depending on what's in my shelf. I don't detangle without them: cowboy magic or just for me (yes it's for kids by soft sheen) detangling spray. My goal is to only lose the strands intended to lose through natural shedding, but not breakage. minimize all hair loss at all costs is my mantra (at least from breakage versus natural shed hairs, etc)

Also I forgot to add this in the previous post. A low manipulation hair style...you might have to sacrifice and go for it until you get to your next length: Some people wig it, some weave it, and some braid it. I've done the latter two for the past two years (with mostly braiding as my primary for most of that time frame). That way your hands are out of your hair, and you only have to detangle on take down. Your hair can remain stretched (so no ssk and if you take the braids out slowly ...I've found no to very little split ends).

You've got to decide what do you need to do to get you to your next goal? I never resort to twists, though some thrive in them. Perhaps because I know that I'm going to have to retwist every couple of days and that's too much manipulation imo (and I decided not to do it at least until I get to my final goals. After that if I have a few splits to cut away every once and a while it won't matter because I'll have to cut to maintain length anyways because I won't want it to get any longer). If I'm wearing my hair out it's in a stretched state (again to avoid ssk or splits): braids, flat ironed, lightly blow out, etc.

I noticed you mentioned twists, and I just realized you're washing what 3 xs a week, and then retwisting those fine strands of yours. Perhaps your hair can't handle that (plus the frequent and drying [from shampoo only] washing) and it's time for a new hairstyle option until you get to your goal. Once there, twist away (because heck you'll want to stay at the same length anyways and will constantly cut to maintain so you'll never have to worry about splits and ssk again with all the trimming)

Thanks so much for this. How often did you take down your braids? I think you hit the nail on the head, with your comments about twists. I ended up messing them too much which was too much manipulation- part of the reason why I don't do them as much.

Thanks so much for the advice!

JJamiah

tmhuggiebear sorry I missed your post and your going through this.

My advice:
Limit the shampoo - Hair One Olive Oil is a wonderful Conditioning Cleanser
I would try the henna I was a fine hair'd lady, Henna has helped me alot
It is a alternative and is easy done. I can put that in for you if you want. Wash it down, DC :)