Ending natural journey to pursue length?

As a natural who has dealt/is dealing with knots I...

• had a chemical treatment and have been able to retain more length.

Votes: 24 11.3%
  • had a chemical treatment and was not able to retain more length.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • did not have a chemical treatment and have been able to retain length (share technique).

Votes: 56 26.4%
  • did not have a chemical treatment and still have this issues but aren't concerned about the knots.

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • am currently considering a chemcial treatment.

Votes: 31 14.6%
  • would not consider a chemical treatment despite the presence of knots.

Votes: 106 50.0%

• Total voters

ALWAYZL8

I find that deep conditioning weekly and cowashing/detangling every other day stopped the knots. I fingercomb first, then use my detangling comb. I like the Denman, but I'm too heavy handed for it...too much hair ended up in the brush.

luckiestdestiny

actually i've noticed this too. i didn't start having serious knot problems until i got my Denman. i'm guessing because it promotes so much coil definition (and therefore, more shrinkage and more tangling). just this week i've decided to go back to using combs until i can get an Aveda paddle brush. :yep:

i like your plan. i'd say maybe consider trying BKT before you go back to relaxing, but of course it all depends on what your ultimate goal is, what works best for your lifestyle and bank account, etc. ;)

i wish you luck! and um... i hope you remember to post some pics for us before you start your C&G challenge... :grin:

I was in love with my denman early last year until I noticed knotting and more breakage and that was it for me (I also had breakage at the time from a protein mishap and was furious to get more from a darn brush after raving over it after the first time I used it, thinking it was shed hair...until the end of the month when I noticed a HUGE amount of breakage which was stopped after using it. And I had detangled with a large comb first and even brushed it like a fine piece of silk. HUMPH!! GRRR!)
So after that no more breakage.

I do agree with giving something temp a chance like BKT before going permanent or putting the hair up and away via a Cand G challenge.

I'm doing my own of sorts. I've been braiding my hair up since last oct, NOT because of C & G but because I was just tired of the styling sessions, but it'w working.

Gibsongal

Gibsongal, what problems have you had with the denman? I'm curious.

:nono:Girrrrrll, I got split ends galore, my hair knotted more frequently, and like another posted said, I was probably too heavy handed. I had a lot of hair in the brush. I should also mention that I wasn't using an actually denman brush. I was using a knock off vidal sassoon brush, but it was just like it.

I was using a lot of conditioner in my hair, but my hair was still breaking. Maybe I was using the wrong technique. I don't know. I loved the way my hair looked when I brushed it. But it came with a price.

BTW: Cute siggy!!! I almost bought that shirt.

Mystic

Well well..., thank God someone else understands what I was going through last week. I sweat alot when I exercise - even more so in this weather - so it's almost impossible not to rinse my hair daily. My hair is not long enough to be combed smoothly in a ponytail and I hate gel so that style is not an option for me. I got really tired of handling my hair daily and doing the same old dreary styles so I decided to give straightening a try. I didn't want to do it myself and spend hrs on it, so I went to the Dominican salon (for the 1st time), and that was the most miserable experience I have ever had in my entire life. I felt my scalp melting! I told myself there was no way in hell I could take this torture every 2 weeks. What upset me the most was that after all that torture (they did a great job of getting my hair straight) by the time I left the salon and got into my car (I kid you not) my hair was a HOT mess! The worst poof I have ever seen.

Immediately as I got home I went to amazon and ordered a relaxer. As soon as i hit the purchase button I got feedback that my card expired. I was too lazy to get up to find another card so I went to sleep. I got up, hated the way my hair felt so I went in the shower and rinsed my it. Went to the computer and came a cross the BKT thread, saw Sheba1's curls and for the 1st time I began to read the thread with an open mind - I spent the whole night in the thread! Next day I felt restless because I want to relax, yet I do not want to relax. I decided to get out of the house and visit different salons to see what they have available - just to explore I told myself. I didn't want to make an irrational decision because of how I was feeling. I hate weaves, braids hurt my scalp (these braiders!!) but low and behold I came across this style on a mannequinn fell in love and walked out of the salon with a weave. Now that I am in the weave, I have time to think and I am SO glad I didn't relax. I guess the lesson for me is that I cannot handle humidity and natural hair. Therefore, I need to incorporate other methods to alleviate the frustration. I am so happy now with my decision. I can wash and go w/out any hassle, and the frustration now seems like a distant memory.

cmw45

OP do you wear wash and go's? I get a lot of knots from that style. I think BKT might be the answer for you.

I don't...for the past two years it's mostly been braidouts.

I seems like it (BKT) definitely has its advantages over relaxing. I will certainly keep it in mind after the end of my two year C&G Challenge.

Last edited:

cmw45

Well well..., thank God someone else understands what I was going through last week. I sweat alot when I exercise - even more so in this weather - so it's almost impossible not to rinse my hair daily. My hair is not long enough to be combed smoothly in a ponytail and I hate gel so that style is not an option for me. I got really tired of handling my hair daily and doing the same old dreary styles so I decided to give straightening a try. I didn't want to do it myself and spend hrs on it, so I went to the Dominican salon (for the 1st time), and that was the most miserable experience I have ever had in my entire life. I felt my scalp melting! I told myself there was no way in hell I could take this torture every 2 weeks. What upset me the most was that after all that torture (they did a great job of getting my hair straight) by the time I left the salon and got into my car (I kid you not) my hair was a HOT mess! The worst poof I have ever seen.

Immediately as I got home I went to amazon and ordered a relaxer. As soon as i hit the purchase button I got feedback that my card expired. I was too lazy to get up to find another card so I went to sleep. I got up, hated the way my hair felt so I went in the shower and rinsed my it. Went to the computer and came a cross the BKT thread, saw Sheba1's curls and for the 1st time I began to read the thread with an open mind - I spent the whole night in the thread! Next day I felt restless because I want to relax, yet I do not want to relax. I decided to get out of the house and visit different salons to see what they have available - just to explore I told myself. I didn't want to make an irrational decision because of how I was feeling. I hate weaves, braids hurt my scalp (these braiders!!) but low and behold I came across this style on a mannequinn fell in love and walked out of the salon with a weave. Now that I am in the weave, I have time to think and I am SO glad I didn't relax. I guess the lesson for me is that I cannot handle humidity and natural hair. Therefore, I need to incorporate other methods to alleviate the frustration. I am so happy now with my decision. I can wash and go w/out any hassle, and the frustration now seems like a distant memory.

EXACTLY!!! This is exactly how I feel. Especially with respects to working out. I am now paying as much attention to my health as I did to my hair and I sweat like a boy. I was initially drawn to PinkSkates' regimen but two sessions in the gym nipped that in the bud. I love my natural hair and would hate to give it up because of how I am feeling right now, but I have tried every technique under the sun (I have been natural for for three years August 31, 2009 (my last relaxer was May 9, 2006 and I BC'd on August 9, 2006).

I think putting your hair away under a weave is a good idea. My edges do better in braids than weaves but I love the versatility of weaves. After two years I think I am going to consider something less permanent like the BKT before a relaxer...but I have decided relaxing again is definitely something that I am willing to consider.

Best of luck with your decision. Please update us on whatever you decide to do.

truequeen06

I get knots, but I've been able to maintain and still gain length. It's helped me detangling while it's wet and not letting it dry all over the place, but in a braid.

Cheleigh

Nope. I get ssk like crazy, but it's mostly a symptom of my hair care (or lack thereof). The ssk do affect my hair length probably, but not significantly (short torso: mid-back in back, apl-bra in front).

I've noticed I get a lot more ssk and crappy ends if I don't:
-DT and detangle my hair weekly (and I almost NEVER do this weekly, and this causes the most problems). I prefer a dairy based DT and I use the Denman, but only the paddle brush. If I'm too rough with the Denman (and don't properly hand detangle first) I will have issues. I also don't wear my hair out after detangling--too much shrinkage (i.e. knot farm).
-Use some sort of shampoo weekly
-Use heavy leave-in products and seal with a grease/heavy butter
-Twist my hair (or put a few twists in my hair) before I bun

Also, I did incorporate some silicone back into my regimen, for additional slip and minimizing ssk. I also incorporated more protein, to provide additional strength to my strands and minimize breakage at the knot point.

SUZIEq

I just started using a paddle brush (Morrocco Method Extra-Large Nylon "Detangler" Brush) for a week now and it has been the best investment I've made in a while:

http://www.morroccomethod.com/brush.shtml

My hair has no more knots (one week and counting). And my hair is actually stretched and not so shrinked up anymore. I can actually use this brush to detangle on wet and dry hair.

I never understood the denman and I just could not get the right brush to detangle my hair. I don't understand all the hoopla around that brush.

OP, good luck on your decision. I feel you! I have those same feelings sometimes. But just the thought of smelling the relaxer and remembering the burns allows me to stay strong.

actually i've noticed this too. i didn't start having serious knot problems until i got my Denman. i'm guessing because it promotes so much coil definition (and therefore, more shrinkage and more tangling). just this week i've decided to go back to using combs until i can get an Aveda paddle brush. :yep:

i like your plan. i'd say maybe consider trying BKT before you go back to relaxing, but of course it all depends on what your ultimate goal is, what works best for your lifestyle and bank account, etc. ;)

i wish you luck! and um... i hope you remember to post some pics for us before you start your C&G challenge... :grin:

Junebug D

Just cosigning that the Denman is the devil! I don't know what's supposed to be so great about it either. I had a denman paddle brush-- lost bristles after the first use. Then I got the D3 or whatever, it was like a rake through my hair. :perplexed

I just use my trusty Conair paddle brush-- it detangles thoroughly and gently. Section dry hair, spray with water, rub on some shea butter, brush through section, and my hair is tangle-free, moist, stretchy, and baby soft. :yep: (4b natural here)

JustKiya

No chemicals, and I'm able to retain length.

My technique is quite simply, never allowing my hair to be free long enough to tangle majorly. I wear 'stretched' styles 99% of the time, and as my hair gets longer, I'm gradually moving away from having to have it in twists because I can stretch it and catch it all in a bun.

I have SSK - and I don't really care, honestly. I've got fine hair, and the knots are tiny, and they only cause me issues when I leave my hair loose to tangle with sheds - so I don't.

My detangling routine is multi-step, and I only detangle on wet hair drenched in conditioner - wide tooth comb, medium tooth comb, Denman, into a two strand twist, then rinse, castor oil, and into a braid. I then let it dry, and as I'm twisting it, I go through each twist section with a rattail comb. Getting all the shed hair out is VITAL for me - otherwise, I'll get huge tangles.

I'm willing to live in twists for the next couple of years in order to retain my growth and achieve the length I want. I'll have this hair for life. A couple of years of repetitive styles is nothing in the long term.

that_1_grrrl

I thought about that a couple of times myself, but I do not think I could handle relaxed hair. It is so overwhelming for me, lol.

I can not wait to see what you decide! I know your hair will look great either way.

tailormade84

i voted "did not have a chemical treatment and have been able to retain length (share technique)"

my technique is nothing special. since i noticed i mainly experience knots when i wear/wash my hair loose, i have began wearing mt twists AT ALL TIMES. No joke. I maybe wear my hair out and free once a week (at the very most) and when i do i try my best to keep my hands OUT of my hair.

kurlyque

I totally threw a brush/comb out my regime period. I made the decision when I noticed all the hair in the comb and I hate hearing the popping sound when the denman hits kinks. I finger comb my hair and only detangle when I condish every week. I did notice recently I started to get knots and I've never had the problem before. I unloosed as many strands as I could with patience and didn't think twice about it. I've seen women with great retention that suffer from knots. Are you sure this is the reason that have retained ur desired length?

anon123

No chemicals, and I'm able to retain length.

My technique is quite simply, never allowing my hair to be free long enough to tangle majorly. I wear 'stretched' styles 99% of the time, and as my hair gets longer, I'm gradually moving away from having to have it in twists because I can stretch it and catch it all in a bun.

I have SSK - and I don't really care, honestly. I've got fine hair, and the knots are tiny, and they only cause me issues when I leave my hair loose to tangle with sheds - so I don't.

My detangling routine is multi-step, and I only detangle on wet hair drenched in conditioner - wide tooth comb, medium tooth comb, Denman, into a two strand twist, then rinse, castor oil, and into a braid. I then let it dry, and as I'm twisting it, I go through each twist section with a rattail comb. Getting all the shed hair out is VITAL for me - otherwise, I'll get huge tangles.

I'm willing to live in twists for the next couple of years in order to retain my growth and achieve the length I want. I'll have this hair for life. A couple of years of repetitive styles is nothing in the long term.

How is your hair when you put it in a bun? Is it stretched? Did you blow dry? Do you put it in a bun wet? If that last, that doesn't tangle?! Even when I wear buns, they are almost always twist out buns, so I still have to do the doggone twists. I still don't know how you do 3 different combs and a brush and twist all the hair in like 1 hour. :drunk:

I wasn't sure how to vote. I'm not currently considering a chemical treatment, but I was recently. I decided against it for now, so am no longer considering. I get plenty of SSKs which cause tangles. Curiously very few split ends, and I think these are mostly caused by brushing. I've noticed the times when I've used the brush more often have been the times when I got more splits, but even still never more than 1/8" and few and far between.

Medium sized twists would work best for me avoiding tangles, but frankly, mine look ugly and they take a long time to do which makes me not want to do them. I can't wash my hair with twists in and let them dry. What I'm doing now is twists and letting them set, then doing the twist out and protective styling on the twist out since I'm in a protective styling challenge. We'll see if this improves anything.

When I worked out, I worked out 3-4 times a week and washed my hair twice a week with out much problem. But that was pre-hair board

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Recently, and not so recently, I have considered ending my natural hair journey to pursue a maximum hair length journey. Now, now, now, before anyone says the two journeys do not have to be mutually exclusive...I would say that I agree. For a lot of women, pursuing length does not seem to require a chemical of any sort and yes I have seen the various inspiration threads on this forum and on youtube. However, after more than two years of dealing with single strand knots and the multi-strand knots (which results from shed hair getting tangled with non-shed hair) and the continuous cutting that results from both, I think I may have come to the end of my natural hair journey...

...but I haven't decided yet. I love my natural hair but I would really like to start retaining a little more length. So...my sorority is having our Eastern Regional Conference this weekend in Baltimore and I plan to have my hair professionally flat ironed (by a natural hairstylist) and trimmed to get rid of all of the knots. After the conference, I plan to start a 2 year Crown & Glory Challenge with continuous braids (with about one week breaks) in between. After two years of braids I will then make the decision as to whether or not to continue natural, to BKT or to texturize.

So...are there any naturals who have struggled with this decision, relaxed or texturized and found they were able to retain more length after knot issues went away. I see some naturals mention this problem in threads but did not found a single thread dedicated to this issue so...

Could I please suggest you read this blog before you decide? She does address knots.. Hair wants to knot. Have to know how to prevent it and work with it when it does. Her research is solid and techniques are excellent. Plus, just look at her hair!!! Don't give up on the journey just yet.

http://www.biracialhair.org/Welcome.aspx

Afrolatina

Recently, and not so recently, I have considered ending my natural hair journey to pursue a maximum hair length journey. Now, now, now, before anyone says the two journeys do not have to be mutually exclusive...I would say that I agree. For a lot of women, pursuing length does not seem to require a chemical of any sort and yes I have seen the various inspiration threads on this forum and on youtube. However, after more than two years of dealing with single strand knots and the multi-strand knots (which results from shed hair getting tangled with non-shed hair) and the continuous cutting that results from both, I think I may have come to the end of my natural hair journey...

...but I haven't decided yet. I love my natural hair but I would really like to start retaining a little more length. So...my sorority is having our Eastern Regional Conference this weekend in Baltimore and I plan to have my hair professionally flat ironed (by a natural hairstylist) and trimmed to get rid of all of the knots. After the conference, I plan to start a 2 year Crown & Glory Challenge with continuous braids (with about one week breaks) in between. After two years of braids I will then make the decision as to whether or not to continue natural, to BKT or to texturize.

So...are there any naturals who have struggled with this decision, relaxed or texturized and found they were able to retain more length after knot issues went away. I see some naturals mention this problem in threads but did not found a single thread dedicated to this issue so...

Hi!
I've struggled with this decision before...
but you know what? to be honest, I came up thinking one thing always:
"Do I want to keep relaxing my hair forever?" and if not could I withstand "going natural all over again and, even with a length transition, having to endure short hair forever". I rationalized that I couldn't keep putting chemicals of any kind in my hair like that forever and ever- that at some point i'd want children and it wouldn't be healthy to them or myself to keep these habits up throughout a pregnancy...etc.,

I LOVED the length, the smoothness, the texture of my hair when I permed, but, I never liked the over processing, the damage (no matter how many DCs I loaded on my hair), the trouble styling often and most of all the MONEY I wasted to be forever reliant on chemicals, you know? The best thing for me, personally, about being natural was that I wasn't reliant on anyone... I could stop wasting the money I spent on having someone do my hair (if I stretched to long, the stylist would consider it a "virgin" perm and i'd be paying upwards of $100+ bucks) when I could've spent that on products to manage my natural hair and then some! And even if I applied the relaxer myself, it is very hard to minimize damage unless you really know what you're doing and I wasn't confident enough that I did...and as far as BKT- it wasn't an option available at the time when I went natural and I probably still wouldn't have done it because I like the ease of washing my hair, applying product and not spending too much time obsessing about my hair...

What I think you could do if you want to have a bit more length is do a coconut lime "relaxer" or a caramel treatment to loosen up the texture...moisturizing (with thick creams, focusing on ends because they are naturally drier) and spritzing with leave-ins (think oyin's greg's juice or making your own) before manipulating/combing/brushing can work WONDERS on minimizing knots... now I think doing a crown and glory challenge for 2 years could be GREAT! I think giving your hair that break, low manipulation and hiding it for a bit should definitely give you the growth you're looking for with the versatility that you might've enjoyed just using a BKT straight off the back or dealing with your natural hair.

Sometimes a break is JUST what you need to re-focus and make the best lasting decision for your hair.

HTH!

Last edited:

kblc06

Like GoingNatural, I initially went natural to retain length. My hair has the most potential of reaching long lengths (MBL+) when it's left in its natural state. With that said, I have fine-medium hair and I have had to battle split ends and knots for most of my journey. However, that began to change about a year ago, when I started doing the following:

1.) Increasing the moisture level of my hair (using braid spray or an easily absorbed moisturizer.

2.) Ultra low manipulation by wearing wigs. I'd braid my hair in 1 to 4 plaits and just wig it, keeping my hair moisturized and sealing with shea butter and Vaseline

3.) When doing wash n gos, I would use gel. But if I were to let the hold break and let my hair shrink up, I noticed that I would get a lot of splits and knots. So I make sure that my hair remains smooth and clumps together in the same direction. I also use a some curl activator gel to give my hair moisture so that it doesn't dry out.I also rinse my hair before the hold of the gel breaks

4.) I trimmed my hair less and cut ONLY the ends that were split or had knots by doing a deep S&D.

5.) Learning that grease is my friend. Sealing my ends with Vaseline has gave me the greatest boost in moisture and length retention. My hair like silicones when I was relaxed but now they make my hair feel as though the strands are stuck together

cmw45

Thanks to all the ladies that replied. :grin:

UPDATE: I'm one year into my 2 year C&G Challenge. I am not dealing with ssk issues right now but that is because my hair has only been out for 4 weeks total for this past year. I have decided that I couldn't see myself going back to relaxers but I am still considering a BTK.

Last edited:

constance

kblc, I noticed the same thing about Vaseline about 3 mos ago. By applying it to the last 3-4 inches of hair, I've eliminated knots and retained more length than before. For the first time I really feel like I'm retaining all my length...although I've been on this hair journey for 21 mos. ;)

kblc06

kblc, I noticed the same thing about Vaseline about 3 mos ago. By applying it to the last 3-4 inches of hair, I've eliminated knots and retained more length than before. For the first time I really feel like I'm retaining all my length...although I've been on this hair journey for 21 mos. ;)

And I can definitely tell by the comparison pics in your siggy that it's working;). I only wished I had discovered this little tidbit when I went fully natural in 2006/2007. Don't sleep on the Vaseline people :drunk:

Curlykale

I retain much more, faster growth with natural hair. I went from ear/neck length to past shoulder length in 6 months, impossible before.

what works for my single strand knots is:

- using a leave in without humectants (I use any conditioner without bad ingredients and no glycerine because I don't want to be dependant on the weather)
- combing my ends before AND after styling, I use a denman comb (best thing ever and I threw away the brush from the same brand)
- sealing with a thick sealant on wash days, my hair only likes avocado butter or murumuru or cupuacu (for some reason the other ones dry out my hair)
- moisturising and sealing with grapeseed oil every single night and using the denman comb on them every so often (I will try rice bran soon as well, olive and coconut get absorbed instead and my ends curl up/knot)
- dusting every 4 months
- avoiding heat.

I abandoned:

- using oils that get absorbed to seal (i.e. coconut, olive)
- detangling with my fingers only (loving the Denman comb)
- Denman brush (curled my ends up, broke my hair off)
- glycerine, honey, jojoba, panthenol, propylene glycol (humectants)
- butters that sit on my hair

ps= Vaseline should be a great sealant as well. I stopped havign ssk when I payed attention to the sealants I used.

cmw45

Like GoingNatural, I initially went natural to retain length. My hair has the most potential of reaching long lengths (MBL+) when it's left in its natural state. With that said, I have fine-medium hair and I have had to battle split ends and knots for most of my journey. However, that began to change about a year ago, when I started doing the following:

1.) Increasing the moisture level of my hair (using braid spray or an easily absorbed moisturizer.

2.) Ultra low manipulation by wearing wigs. I'd braid my hair in 1 to 4 plaits and just wig it, keeping my hair moisturized and sealing with shea butter and Vaseline

3.) When doing wash n gos, I would use gel. But if I were to let the hold break and let my hair shrink up, I noticed that I would get a lot of splits and knots. So I make sure that my hair remains smooth and clumps together in the same direction. I also use a some curl activator gel to give my hair moisture so that it doesn't dry out.I also rinse my hair before the hold of the gel breaks

4.) I trimmed my hair less and cut ONLY the ends that were split or had knots by doing a deep S&D.

5.) Learning that grease is my friend. Sealing my ends with Vaseline has gave me the greatest boost in moisture and length retention. My hair like silicones when I was relaxed but now they make my hair feel as though the strands are stuck together

Thank you for the very helpful post. I would never have considered Vaseline.

have you noticed any length retention? :)

I had a trim back in January and truthfully, I never notice any length gains. August 8th will be the official end to the first year of my C&G and 8 weeks of the current twist I am in so I plan to take my hair down, flat iron and trim and go back into kinky twist. What I have noticed is tremendous gains in thickness. I had no idea how much hair I was losing to the constant braidouts.

And you didn't share?!?!!? I kid, I kid. I will have to stop sleeping on the Vaseline.

I use Vaseline on my ends as a sealant and I don't have any SSK.

*shuffles off to find Vaseline*

And I can definitely tell by the comparison pics in your siggy that it's working;). I only wished I had discovered this little tidbit when I went fully natural in 2006/2007. Don't sleep on the Vaseline people :drunk:

Consider me woken up.

cmw45

I retain much more, faster growth with natural hair. I went from ear/neck length to past shoulder length in 6 months, impossible before.

what works for my single strand knots is:

- using a leave in without humectants (I use any conditioner without bad ingredients and no glycerine because I don't want to be dependant on the weather)
- combing my ends before AND after styling, I use a denman comb (best thing ever and I threw away the brush from the same brand)
- sealing with a thick sealant on wash days, my hair only likes avocado butter or murumuru or cupuacu (for some reason the other ones dry out my hair)
- moisturising and sealing with grapeseed oil every single night and using the denman comb on them every so often (I will try rice bran soon as well, olive and coconut get absorbed instead and my ends curl up/knot)
- dusting every 4 months
- avoiding heat.

I abandoned:

- using oils that get absorbed to seal (i.e. coconut, olive)
- detangling with my fingers only (loving the Denman comb)
- Denman brush (curled my ends up, broke my hair off)
- glycerine, honey, jojoba, panthenol, propylene glycol (humectants)
- butters that sit on my hair

ps= Vaseline should be a great sealant as well. I stopped havign ssk when I payed attention to the sealants I used.

Definitely going to have to investigate this. I gave up on the Denman brush too for the exact same reason. I only keep it around because 1) it was too expensive to throw away and 2) I use it only in the shower right after I have taken my braids out because it helps to make sure I have gotten out all of the shed hair from months of wearing braids. I make sure to be gentle and make sure that my hair is throughly detangled before doing so though.

Curlykale

Yeah, when I realized that I preferred their 2 dollar comb I refused to believe it. The brush is expensive indeed: I threw it away to make sure I wouldn't use it again, as I loved getting back to it... but I have some thin hair in the crown area which is very fragile... for some reason the denman always pulled it and broke it into many small flyaways, even during the styling process only, or after having oil rinsed, which is a mistery.

I think it really depends on how your hair reacts to it, as so many people love it.