4A/B Ladies 10 wks post relaxer or more! HELP!

janeemat

Ladies, I am 10 wks post for the first time in my life! I have two dilemmas going on here. Naps and grey! My ng is screaming perm me. My husband even looked at my hairline last night and said that I need to do something with them grey beady beads. Because of this stretch, my grey is popping out big time. I did my Sebastian coffee bean about 3 wks and now my grey is laughing at it. I'm trying to push for 12 wks, but I need perm and color. What's a girl to do for the next 2 wks. NO BRAIDS, NO WEAVES, NO WIGS! Not me at all. How do you long stretchers do it without the braids, weaves, wigs. I will wear a bun with bang out and sometimes add a weft of hair to make the bun fuller. That's not even hitting it this week. I'm thinking about going home today and add some color and hope it takes at 10 wks post. I just found that semi does not do so well if the hair is not freshly relaxed. Maybe I will try to rod set on these orange perm rods that I've NEVER used and sport the curly look. Who knows??? I just know that I need perm and color. Oh, I pooed and the works on Sat and I'm not breaking so that's not an issue. I'm also in the hide your hair challenge.

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

OK, OK, it's going to be all right. Just take some deep, cleansing breaths...in....out...in...out....:lol:

To be honest, I'm only 7 weeks post - but I *look* about 10 weeks post (the MSM, biotin, and Lenzi's Request has kicked in!:yay: ). I wear half-wigs and phony ponies to help me stretch. But, since you don't want to do that, have you tried a rollerset? The rod set you mentioned sounds like a good idea, too. The main thing you want to do is to flatten your NG after you wash - and rollers do the trick. I admit to not being a consistent rollersetter, but I sometimes to a "ponytail rollerset" if the NG is really poofy. It's much faster. My main goal is to try the flatten the NG just enough for me to wear my hair in a bun/phony pony; I don't wear my rollersets "out" (hide my hair challenge).

LocksOfLuV

I may give the boring untraditional answer but I bun.

What I do to get my newgrowth smooth is I use the scarf airdrying method. I have a tutorial in my fotki (http://public.fotki.com/telletell) if you want to check it out.

It lays down my newgrowth flat and it doesn't require manipulation which is good for me. I suggest you trying it and if you use gel or some sort of pomade I think it will come out even better.

As far as the rinse, I hope someone else can help ya there. I am not so good in that area, as my rinses won't even take that good on my non-gray hair.:look:

preciousjewel76

LocksOfLuV said:

What I do to get my newgrowth smooth is I use the scarf airdrying method. I have a tutorial in my fotki (http://public.fotki.com/telletell) if you want to check it out.

It lays down my newgrowth flat and it doesn't require manipulation which is good for me. I suggest you trying it and if you use gel or some sort of pomade I think it will come out even better.

I use the scarf method probably 90% of the time. Also, get thee to Sally's and buy some Beyond the Zone Stiff Head Styling Stick. Works great to flatten down your hairline.

Radianthealth

I am 12 weeks post. I conditioner wash. Actually I sit with conditioner in my head (Nexxus Humectress) for like 2 hours under a heating cap I rinse and comb in the shower. I do an ACV rinse and I bun or airdry and do a flexirod set. Flexirod sets are awesome!!!!!

Also Kid's Organics Shea Butter moisturizer and S-Curl Texturizer spray are great for bunning. I also second the scarf method.

I put a little Shea butter on my ends and wrap my hair over the rods. I put on my satin bonnet and finger seperate in the morning.

You can still do a color rinse on the newgrowth to keep it looking fresh. Or you can try henna and/or Indigo which is supposed to loosen up the new growth and dye the hair (It only dyed my hair, the conditioner washing helps my new growth)

HTH

Here is a photo of my flexirod set hair at 10 weeks post and I am 4b (nuthin else:) )

Attachments

• Hair1-200731204.jpg
    Hair1-200731204.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

dicapr

I agree with embracing the big hair, curly look. How about using a wide wide head band around the perm rod set to hide the newgrowth around the front and nape.

InnerSoul

janeemat said:
Ladies, I am 10 wks post for the first time in my life! I have two dilemmas going on here. Naps and grey! My ng is screaming perm me. My husband even looked at my hairline last night and said that I need to do something with them grey beady beads. Because of this stretch, my grey is popping out big time. I did my Sebastian coffee bean about 3 wks and now my grey is laughing at it. I'm trying to push for 12 wks, but I need perm and color. What's a girl to do for the next 2 wks. NO BRAIDS, NO WEAVES, NO WIGS! Not me at all. How do you long stretchers do it without the braids, weaves, wigs. I will wear a bun with bang out and sometimes add a weft of hair to make the bun fuller. That's not even hitting it this week. I'm thinking about going home today and add some color and hope it takes at 10 wks post. I just found that semi does not do so well if the hair is not freshly relaxed. Maybe I will try to rod set on these orange perm rods that I've NEVER used and sport the curly look. Who knows??? I just know that I need perm and color. Oh, I pooed and the works on Sat and I'm not breaking so that's not an issue. I'm also in the hide your hair challenge.

what helps me stretch for 3 months is washing twice a week.. this softens my new growth. I also rollerset(using magnetic rollers) right after washing/dc..after all my rollers are in place, then I get under the dome dryer... the heat from the dryer helps straighten my new growth. As far as the gray.. I only have a few strands of it so it hasn't been a issue for me yet. However I do plan on dying my hair with the indigo plant(henna) within the next few weeks to cover those strands!!! hth:)

Last edited:

janeemat

preciousjewel76 said:
OK, OK, it's going to be all right. Just take some deep, cleansing breaths...in....out...in...out....:lol:

To be honest, I'm only 7 weeks post - but I *look* about 10 weeks post (the MSM, biotin, and Lenzi's Request has kicked in!:yay: ). I wear half-wigs and phony ponies to help me stretch. But, since you don't want to do that, have you tried a rollerset? The rod set you mentioned sounds like a good idea, too. The main thing you want to do is to flatten your NG after you wash - and rollers do the trick. I admit to not being a consistent rollersetter, but I sometimes to a "ponytail rollerset" if the NG is really poofy. It's much faster. My main goal is to try the flatten the NG just enough for me to wear my hair in a bun/phony pony; I don't wear my rollersets "out" (hide my hair challenge).

Yes, rollerset is my staple. I do it every Wed and Sat. They smooth well but I still use the curling iron on the ng which I did Sat (only). I don't use the curling iron on Wed. I usually just smooth it back in a bun and that's not so smooth right about now. I was thinking a curly look would blend with the ng and then try to smooth it back. I've got to tackle this grey. NG and grey is a bad combination.:nono: Believe me!

CAPlush

The rodset sounds like an excellent idea, if you are careful with it, it will last two weeks. I also bun, using something like the scarf method. But detangle and smooth my hair back in the shower under running water. It hasn't failed me yet, I'm 7 weeks post but I was underprocessed after a 10 week stretch before so my roots are in a more crinkled state. This style last 3-4 days.

janeemat

That's it, I'm leaving work early and doing color and rod set. Trimbride, your flexirod looks good. Now, since it's tight curls will it pass "hide your hair challenge". Right now though that's my least worry. I like the idea of a wide head band with a rod set. That may work. You ladies are all so helpful. I sooo badly want to stretch for 12 wks. That will put me to getting my relaxer on Feb 14th!

baglady215

LocksOfLuV said:

Yup, that's exactly what I do. I use Fantasia IC gel to help lay it down when it gets really crazy (like this morning) but usually I just spray with my distilled water/leave in mix, lightly brush, and tie it down with a scarf until it's time to go to work.

preciousjewel76

trimbride said:
Here is a photo of my flexirod set hair at 10 weeks post and I am 4b (nuthin else:) )

Sorry to jack the thread, but your set looks so pretty! If you don't mind me asking, what size rods did you use? I have some at home, but I think they're a little big for my hair length (brushing shoulders). I think I have 3/4 and 1" rods.

janeemat

baglady215 said:
Yup, that's exactly what I do. I use Fantasia IC gel to help lay it down when it gets really crazy (like this morning) but usually I just spray with my distilled water/leave in mix, lightly brush, and tie it down with a scarf until it's time to go to work.

I must need to get some gel. I don't have any gel. Several ladies have mentioned Fantasia IC, so it must be the one. I may just take the advice from Locks and go that route first w/color.

baglady215

janeemat said:
I must need to get some gel. I don't have any gel. Several ladies have mentioned Fantasia IC, so it must be the one. I may just take the advice from Locks and go that route first w/color.

Yes, Fantasia is good gel. Go with the clear jar though, not the blue. The blue is Ultra Hold or whatever and will make your hair hard. The clear gives a soft hold. Good luck!

lala

I'm 7 weeks currently post relaxer and had recently stretched 4 mos w/o any issues. I don't use gel on my hairline b/c it's not good for my hair. But I've trained my hairline to behave, so it stays smooth.

If I get some strays, I just add a little bit of water, and spray my leave-in and add jojoba. I'll put my scarf on tightly and jump in the shower and it really helps smooth/straighten my hair. I think a good leave-in conditioner combined with a good serum will help with the NG. Rollersetting weekly will also help to straighten the roots.

If you live in a humid climate you can also use Moisture Block to keep your hair from puffing up. I live in the desert now, so I don't have tangling/puffing issues with my new growth...

Bosslady1

janeemat said:

*Cosign on the bold part. I am 13 weeks post and I bun. You can bun and try to use a hair mascara to hide the gray.:confused: