Reducing relaxer time?

It~Can~Grow

It's not time for my relaxer, yet, but this friday I will be 8 wks post (which is normally when I would perm) so I got another 4 wks to go, but want to know the specifics of how others have reduced the time the perm is actually on their heads.

I see that most aim for 5-10 minutes, while in the past, we mostly did 20 minute perms, but my question is "are you counting 5 minutes from the time you have applied all perm to your head, or are you rushing to apply perm all over your head in 5 minutes?"

I'm slow on the perming end, so if it's the latter I gotta speed up the process :yep: - oh and what is your secret to applying the perm so fast?

Are you still sectioning and applying to each sub section or one big group *scratch head*

Last edited:

Radianthealth

I relax for 12-15 minutes using a mild Silk elements relaxer.

I smooth through section by section.

I use a kitchen timer, I turn it on at the very begining of the process and when the 12-15 minutes are up I rinse my hair and neutralize.

I used to do the protein step before the neutralizing, but I stopped.

I relax every 12-14 weeks, I am a 4B texlaxed (85% relaxed)

Traycee

The 5-10min is after you applied the relaxer.......But with adding any chemical you should not be slowful during the application because once its already on the head it is already processing.........

Make sure that the hair is broken down the way you want it before rinsing so you will not get under processed hair.......

lana

Um, actually I'm texlaxed and I apply the entire relaxer to my head in 5 minutes and then I jump in the shower and rinse out. I mean from the time I first put that white stuff on my new growth until water hits it - is five minutes!

Now maybe I'm wrong to do this, but a fully processed relaxer is about 17-20 minutes with Mizani. I only want a little of my curl pattern gone, so I think 10 minutes is way to long for my 4a/b hair.

Now last time I texlaxed, I got hyper and anxious and slapped that stuff on so fast and jumped in the shower so fast that it barely processed. Now I have about 2 inches of underprocessed hair and one inch of new growth. It's a fine line - it's also a learning process.

I'm going to try to apply in 5 minutes, smooth gently for 3 minutes and jump in the shower. This may work better than what I have been doing...which is getting hit or miss results. Which I can't afford to do - cause I only do this 4 times a year as it IS! They have to count!

Traycee

Um, actually I'm texlaxed and I apply the entire relaxer to my head in 5 minutes and then I jump in the shower and rinse out. I mean from the time I first put that white stuff on my new growth until water hits it - is five minutes!

Now maybe I'm wrong to do this, but a fully processed relaxer is about 17-20 minutes with Mizani. I only want a little of my curl pattern gone, so I think 10 minutes is way to long for my 4a/b hair.

Now last time I texlaxed, I got hyper and anxious and slapped that stuff on so fast and jumped in the shower so fast that it barely processed. Now I have about 2 inches of underprocessed hair and one inch of new growth. It's a fine line - it's also a learning process.

I'm going to try to apply in 5 minutes, smooth gently for 3 minutes and jump in the shower. This may work better than what I have been doing...which is getting hit or miss results. Which I can't afford to do - cause I only do this 4 times a year as it IS! They have to count!

I don't think your doing it wrong.......I'm not texlaxed ...I want my hair straight so it takes me about 5 min to apply and then I leave it on about 5 to 7 mins until broken down then rinse....

poookie

I see that most aim for 5-10 minutes, while in the past, we mostly did 20 minute perms, but my question is "are you counting 5 minutes from the time you have applied all perm to your head, or are you rushing to apply perm all over your head in 5 minutes?"

I'm slow on the perming end, so if it's the latter I gotta speed up the process :yep: - oh and what is your secret to applying the perm so fast?

Are you still sectioning and applying to each sub section or one big group *scratch head*

i relax my whole head at once. i divide my hair into six segments, and apply relaxer 1 segment at a time until the whole head is done. this takes me about 10 minutes, and i'll leave in the relaxer for another 15. because i'm so slow applying, i add oil to the relaxer (about 3 tablespoons)-- this slows processing time, so i can take a bit longer. so altogether, relaxer stays on my head for about 20 - 25 minutes.

but i still get waves after rinsing it out, and in the back of my head there are a couple of loose coils, so now the trick is finding the perfect amount of oil to add to the relaxer creme.

It~Can~Grow

I forgot about the oil trick - I will try this because I don't think I could move much faster w/o missing spots. By adding the oil it will allow me to move at my normal pace and slow down the perm.

I want to try the process of perming where it's not bone straight and see how my hair reacts.