4a/b ladies: Longer hair=shorter relaxer stretch?

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Hey ladies, TIA for the responses:grin:! When my hair was shorter, it was easier to stretch my relaxer to 12-16 wks. However, this time around it's only been 8 wks, and I am strugglin!!! I have between an 1-1 1/2 inch growth all over. Do you ladies find it harder to stretch as your hair grows longer?

IMFOCSD

Hey ladies, TIA for the responses:grin:! When my hair was shorter, it was easier to stretch my relaxer to 12-16 wks. However, this time around it's only been 8 wks, and I am strugglin!!! I have between an 1-1 1/2 inch growth all over. Do you ladies find it harder to stretch as your hair grows longer?

Hi

First to answer your question I think it gets easier to stretch as your hair gets longer. When I first started stretching my relaxers my hair was nape length and I found it difficult to find cute styles that would hide my newgrowth. braid/twistouts were cool but it looked funny because my hair was kinda short. My hair is now SL and braid/twistouts are lookin pretty decent know days...lol.

prospurr4

I agree with sweetcoco. My stretches have gone better at my current length (BSL) because it's easier for me to find styles that allows me to blend my new growth, while not robbing too much length.

I usually wear my hair in straight styles until 4 weeks post. At this point, I have about 1" of new growth, so I then wear spiral curls until touch-up time, usually at 12 or 13 weeks post. My curls fall to a little past shoulder length, which I like.:yep:

Mars_Reiko

I'm like the complete opposite. I find out that the longer my hair get the easier it is to sort of hide the new growth. It doesn't seem as noticeable as when I first started my journey. I can stretch relaxers now like nobody's business:)

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Dang!! I guess I'm the only one LOL! As my hair grows longer, it's harder to maintain. I feel that I may have to shorten my stretch time b/c I don't want to risk the breakage that may come from stretching. I just washed and deep conditioned my hair yesterday when it was dry, I could barely pull it into a ponytail, it's very thick. 8 wks ain't bad, I'll try for 10...

gymfreak336

I find that it is easier as my hair gets longer. I guess it is easier, well at least for me, because I am able to use clips and pull my hair back as it gets longer. I lightly flat iron the nape so it looks a bit smoother, brush my edges with styling cream, moisturize my ends and use a octopus clip to make a bun. I don't even bother combing the rest of it except for wash day.

OneShinyface

I pull mine into a bun to air dry. I let it get about 30% dry so that it's not soaking wet then I pull it into a bun. I wrap my hair with a silk scarf and go to bed. When I get up, the outer edges are dry and flat. It might take the rest in the center a day to dry, but my hair is already bunned so no need for manipulation.

song_of_serenity

For me, it's easier as my hair grows! You can just pull it back, bun it, french roll, etc and leave it be...when my hair was a lot shorter, short styles didn't allow much versatility for cute styles while stretching.
~*Janelle~*

beana

I'm with the majority here! Its much easier for me to stretch as my hair gets longer.. i really cant explain why, but it is. It seems ironic because one would think there would be problems with tangles along the length of the hair... is that what your experiencing?

pear

I kinda see what the OP (original poster? still trying to learn the language) is saying. I have VERY coarse, past shoulder-length, relaxed 4B hair and before finding LHCF, I was relaxing my hair every 5 weeks because it was just really out of control at that point. My stylist also didn't seem to mind that I was relaxing every 5 weeks. I completed my first stretch (8 weeks) about a month ago and although I know that this is better for my hair (I have noticed thinning edges over time...probably from too frequent relaxing), after about week 4 post-relaxer, my hair starts taking on a whole other form and shedding like crazy. :wallbash:

My problem with stretching is that my hair gets VERY dry after week 4 and I haven't really found the perfect moisturizer. Detangling my hair becomes a NIGHTMARE and if I try to rollerset after week 4, I tend to loose a lot of hair because my hair is so thick and hard to comb through. I tried to braid it wet and let it air dry but I ended up with a tangled mess and lost a lot of hair the next time I washed and detangled. I having been trying to wash my hair more often (every 4-5 days vs. 7) but am I defeating the purpose of keeping my hair on my head if I lose so much while trying to detangle wet hair?

I started using Aveda DR about a week ago which is helping with the shedding and dryness. Before this I was using KeraCare dry and itchy as well as experimenting with other products discussed on the boards.

I really would like to stretch but I need HELP. For those ladies with extremely coarse, thick, 4B (rather 4Z :grin:) hair like mine, what products and techniques have you used to manage your stretches with minimal hair loss and damage?

TLC1020

I also find it easier to stretch as my hair gets longer, I'm 10 weeks post going 14wks and I can't imagine going this long when my hair was shorter.. I couldn't go past 7-8wks tops.. After 5wks my hair starts getting dry that's when I moisturize, seal and bun....

bablou00

Welcome to LCHF!!! There is a thread specifically for relaxer stretching I am sure you already been to it. But there a lot of ladies talked about what they have used in order for them to stretch. I relied on buns and rollersets. I washed my hair every 2-3 days and when I was in 4-5mos I was wearing scarfs w/ buns. I am on a quest to find a good moisturizer as well this time around. SO I will let you know what I find.

I think as my hair gets longer its eaiser to stretch but I do understand how it can seem harder because of longer hair getting tangled w/ your NG. Are you doing anything different now that your hair is longer than you were when it was shorter???

I kinda see what the OP (original poster? still trying to learn the language) is saying. I have VERY coarse, past shoulder-length, relaxed 4B hair and before finding LHCF, I was relaxing my hair every 5 weeks because it was just really out of control at that point. My stylist also didn't seem to mind that I was relaxing every 5 weeks. I completed my first stretch (8 weeks) about a month ago and although I know that this is better for my hair (I have noticed thinning edges over time...probably from too frequent relaxing), after about week 4 post-relaxer, my hair starts taking on a whole other form and shedding like crazy. :wallbash:

My problem with stretching is that my hair gets VERY dry after week 4 and I haven't really found the perfect moisturizer. Detangling my hair becomes a NIGHTMARE and if I try to rollerset after week 4, I tend to loose a lot of hair because my hair is so thick and hard to comb through. I tried to braid it wet and let it air dry but I ended up with a tangled mess and lost a lot of hair the next time I washed and detangled. I having been trying to wash my hair more often (every 4-5 days vs. 7) but am I defeating the purpose of keeping my hair on my head if I lose so much while trying to detangle wet hair?

I started using Aveda DR about a week ago which is helping with the shedding and dryness. Before this I was using KeraCare dry and itchy as well as experimenting with other products discussed on the boards.

I really would like to stretch but I need HELP. For those ladies with extremely coarse, thick, 4B (rather 4Z :grin:) hair like mine, what products and techniques have you used to manage your stretches with minimal hair loss and damage?

pear

Welcome to LCHF!!! There is a thread specifically for relaxer stretching I am sure you already been to it. But there a lot of ladies talked about what they have used in order for them to stretch. I relied on buns and rollersets. I washed my hair every 2-3 days and when I was in 4-5mos I was wearing scarfs w/ buns. I am on a quest to find a good moisturizer as well this time around. SO I will let you know what I find.

I think as my hair gets longer its eaiser to stretch but I do understand how it can seem harder because of longer hair getting tangled w/ your NG. Are you doing anything different now that your hair is longer than you were when it was shorter???

Hi bablou00,

As my hair gets longer I am having to put more effort into detangling it in the shower. I think one thing that I am doing a little differently is that I am taking much more time detangling and being a lot more careful when I do it. I dread everytime I have to wash my hair (especially after week 4) because it is soooo hard to get through it and I lose a good amount of hair in the process. I have been experimenting with several different shampoos and conditioners but so far nothing has really softened up my new growth enough for me to call it my miracle product and use it as my staple after week 4.

Another major problem for me is that my income situation has changed dramatically (I am now a full-time student so I no longer work). When I was working at one point I was going to the salon every week. Now that I am doing my hair myself (except for relaxers), I really don't think that I have the magic touch :nono: and my hair is so coarse and prone to dryness that I don't believe that I have found the right set up products to maintain my hair properly on my own.

I probably should hop on over to the "adopt a newbie" thread and get some help! :grin:

BTW....your hair looks great (obviously you have figured it out!)

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I agree with the majority: it is easy to stretch when my hair is longer, but the detangling time can be outrageous. Also, my hair is texlaxed, so my new growth and texturized hair blends in fairly well. I can go months without a retouch.

FAMUDva

I actually find it easier to stretch the longer my hair gets. Maybe it's just me though.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83

YESS!! That's it! It just really tangled and the roots are very puffy compared to my mostly bone straight ends.