Who Still Relaxes every 6 wks?

lana

I've stretched for as long as four months,-- the longest was eight months, but my hair was in braids.

I'm actually in a quandry, because the last time I stretched for 3 months, and I had a lot of hair loss. It didn't seem to effect my length or thickness, but my hair sheds a lot and when I stretch it gets tangled. Since I don't use any heat on it during the week I have to comb and brush daily, or I get mats. Many ladies here swear by the no comb method, but I am not sure what is worse, mats or combing in terms of length rentension. Lately I have stopped co-washing all together and just started moisterizing my hair with Profectiv DC cream, and Fruitese leave in. I also use their glosser for shine. I wet my hair with that and I gently brush the tangles out and bun it. That seems to work better than co-washing every other day.

Recently at the advising of my best friend I went after six weeks to get a touch up, and I didn't like it. I think that it damaged my hair.

I have course 4a hair that is super thick and super porus. Anybody have suggestions on how you deal with this issue?

I'm sure other ladies are going to chime in here, but I have coarse 4a/b hair that I used to wear natural (in a press) for years and never saw much change or growth retention. NOW, I got wise and TEXlax my hair and I stretch (because it seems to work for me) for 2 to 3 months depending on my new growth. I basically wait until I have two inches before TEXlaxing. This has really worked for me and without LHCF I would have NEVER found out about texlaxing. The closest I ever came to hearing about it was one old stylist I went to and he said, "I only take the hair 90% straight, not 100% so that I can leave a little body and shake in it". Well that's NOT texlaxing, but like I said...

Anyways if you want to relax more often, consider texlaxing, because for MY hair it's not as damaging as a relaxer and I'm retaining mad length. My husband JUST looked at me the other day and said, "Wow it's hanging down your back all pretty". :yawn:

Neroli

NOT meeeee!! I went from every 6 weeks to every 12 weeks, but I know it's not for everyone and you gotta do what works for you. . . I tried stretching to 4 months, but that definitely didn't work for me, so I feel ya when you say more than 6 weeks ain't for you.

prospurr4

If I have at least an inch of new growth, I wouldn't have a problem with relaxing a 6 weeks.

Like Lana^^^, I'm a texlaxer!:grin: Texlaxing is the best thing I've ever done for my hair; I have so much growth and thickness, and I get hair compliments all the time! Anyway, I retouch every 8-10 weeks; I've gone as long as 14 weeks, but I won't do that again...to much tangling and matting. Plus, I do my own retouches, and if I stretch too long, my hair is just too thick and difficult to get the relaxer cream throughout my new growth in the alloted time to avoid relaxing it too straight...and I don't ever want my hair relaxed straight.:nono:

mama22

I relax my hair every 8-9 weeks. But, my mother on the other hand still relaxes every 6 wks because her grade of hair isn't as good as mine and her hair will fall out if she doesn't.:ohwell:

AKA-Tude

I do!!!

My hair HATES stretching-

I lose so much of it during that time too!

So when my NG starts screamin' at me,

I gives it what it needs-

RELAXER-IZATION!!!

blackberry815

I am going back to six weeks... Tried 8... Too hard! Much shedding and breakage. Not a fan. I just realized I used to stretch when I was younger but when I started relaxing every 6 weeks my hair was its healthiest and longest. So yea back to six weeks for me!

lustrous

I too relax early with no known or felt detriment to my scalp. I see length with each relaxer as well. breakage and dryness becomes my bane if i go longer than 2 mos. My sister however stretches regularly w no problem. Just do you OP.

naturalpride

Most people on this thread that relax every six-weeks don't have hair pics posted. Please show us your hair after relaxing every six-weeks.

blackberry815

I think its just a matter of not overlapping. If you can relax and not overlap the relaxer it shouldnt cause any issues. I relax every 8 weeks now but I noticed too much shedding and breakage past the 6 week mark. My crown can't handle stretching. I tried

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Stretching more than 7-8 wks for me causes my scalp to get extra sore, mainly the crown area. It's a catch 22, if your scalp gets sore and you irritate it you can't relax or else you end up with scalp sores. I make sure to coat my already relaxed strands with coconut oil to help control overlapping though.

Each time I stretched 9-11 wks my hair was so thin afterwards I wished I wouldn't have stretched. :nono: I guess it all depends on whether or not you can wear styles that don't require manipulation. I can't do that so I can't stretch.

Bottom line, if I start seeing long strands of hair coming out I'm relaxing any time after 6 wks.

lana

I've stretched for as long as four months,-- the longest was eight months, but my hair was in braids.

I'm actually in a quandry, because the last time I stretched for 3 months, and I had a lot of hair loss. It didn't seem to effect my length or thickness, but my hair sheds a lot and when I stretch it gets tangled. Since I don't use any heat on it during the week I have to comb and brush daily, or I get mats. Many ladies here swear by the no comb method, but I am not sure what is worse, mats or combing in terms of length rentension. Lately I have stopped co-washing all together and just started moisterizing my hair with Profectiv DC cream, and Fruitese leave in. I also use their glosser for shine. I wet my hair with that and I gently brush the tangles out and bun it. That seems to work better than co-washing every other day.

Recently at the advising of my best friend I went after six weeks to get a touch up, and I didn't like it. I think that it damaged my hair.

I have course 4a hair that is super thick and super porus. Anybody have suggestions on how you deal with this issue?

Your hair sounds like my 4a/b hair @golden bronze.
I texlax every 8-16 weeks depending on my hair growth. I use Mizani LYE relaxer for 5 minutes and rinse with water, protein condition, rinse, neutralize, let it sit, repeat the neutralizing step and then deep condition.

I use Redken Smooth Down Conditioner and a straightening lotion from Back to Basics that I bought at Marshalls for $3.99 and I use flexi rod rollers to set my hair in spirals for a low manipulation style and then when that wears out I bun it.

I just hit BSL, so I'm doing something right and it's super thick and healthy. The best hair of my life and I owe it all to LHCF and my following the advice on this board. I do it myself, I don't want a stylist at this time. :)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

lana

I should also say that I cannot cowash (tangles) or brush or comb my hair daily (breakage). I finger comb all the time and detangle before I wash my hair.

I moisturize and seal daily with Perfect Results oil and/or Jojoba oil. I use a little oil sheen for shine after styling. Serums and gloss sprays just dry out my hair over time, they don't allow moisture to penetrate the hair strand in my case.

I hope that helps too!

TKay45

I'm gonna have to :cowgirl: after posting this but I've always relaxed my hair every 3-4 wks. with no problem at all. My 4b is fast growing and new growth gets very thick. I just can't wait that long. I've tried stretching before but it seemed like I would always have more hair in my comb than I did on my head. I just have to do what works for me and my hair.

LushLox

I wish I had that kinda mad fast growth that I would need to relax every six weeks - as it is no bueno! I'm glad I don't relax so regularly now as my hair has thickened up considerably since stretching and the less I use the chemicals the better I suppose.

blackberry815

Stretching more than 7-8 wks for me causes my scalp to get extra sore, mainly the crown area. It's a catch 22, if your scalp gets sore and you irritate it you can't relax or else you end up with scalp sores. I make sure to coat my already relaxed strands with coconut oil to help control overlapping though.

Each time I stretched 9-11 wks my hair was so thin afterwards I wished I wouldn't have stretched. :nono: I guess it all depends on whether or not you can wear styles that don't require manipulation. I can't do that so I can't stretch.

Bottom line, if I start seeing long strands of hair coming out I'm relaxing any time after 6 wks.

I totally Agree.. It's like you're stretching to avoid overlapping but have to deal with breakage and shedding... Im choosing to avoid breakage and shedding and keep overlapping to a minimum. It probably can't be completely avoided but I'm just gonna up my protein. The relaxer process should go easier this way too because I can avoid all the damage from trying to part all the extra new growth to get the relaxer in. I'm just gonna put it where I need it and let it do what it do.. lol