Who Stretches 12wks or more W/O Braids, Weaves, Wigs, etc

janeemat

For the stretchers, I was wondering who stretches their relaxers more than 12 wks without wearing braids, weaves, wigs, etc. In Feb I successfully completed a 12 wk stretch by rollersetting. Sometimes I would use the back of my curling iron to press the ng. Other times I would just finger comb the rollerset in a bun. I don't do co-washes. My wash days are Wed & Sat. I'm 8 wks post now and I'm thinking of going for 14 wks. I've come to the conclusion that the longer I can go without a relaxer, the healthier my hair becomes. I'll admit it was a lot of work keeping 12 wks post looking decent, but it was well worth. If this is you ladies, chime in and share your secret.

lana

I'm 10 weeks post exactly (I'm texlaxed) and I'm struggling to make it to twelve weeks. I don't use weaves or anything else, I wash and take care of it myself and my regular style is a pincurled look.

I have over two inches of new growth and it's just hard to hang in there. I don't even want to wash my hair right now. I'm washing every 7 days to reduce the amount of manipulation....I just need to make it to May 4th. That's two more weeks and then I can texlax again (just the roots/new growth of course)

I'm about to start using Boundless Tresses, but I'm concerned that more growth than normal will make me give in earlier on the next stretch. But I still want more growth! (laughs)

Last edited:

mjeffers2

I am currently stretching to 16 weeks this go around, April 29, being my relaxer day. So I'm almost there. Like you, I keep a cute roller set, or I go to my stylist and get flexi-rods, b/c when I do them, I look crazy. Flexis are the best for me b/c it blends with my 2 inches of new growth. Luckily, my stylist believes in stretching so she's very positive and helpful in coming up with styles that are easy to maintain especially with all the new growth and my workout schedule.

Softresses

I do, I CO wash and wear my hair in different pinned up styles. I airdry and may occasionally smooth new growth with the flat iron.

Softresses

Last edited:

janeemat

mjeffers2 said:
I am currently stretching to 16 weeks this go around, April 29, being my relaxer day. So I'm almost there. Like you, I keep a cute roller set, or I go to my stylist and get flexi-rods, b/c when I do them, I look crazy. Flexis are the best for me b/c it blends with my 2 inches of new growth. Luckily, my stylist believes in stretching so she's very positive and helpful in coming up with styles that are easy to maintain especially with all the new growth and my workout schedule.

Wow! You're almost there. I haven't done the flexi rods, but the past couple of weeks I used the small magnetic rollers (orange and yellow) to get a nice rod set look. This past wkend I used my normal purple rollers for the straight look and just pressed ng in the front which turned out nice. I want to try the flexi rods, but once I get around 8 wks post I'm scared for anyone including my stylist to handle my hair. I've been going to him for 2 yrs but I only go for my relaxers.

janeemat

Softresses said:
I do, I CO wash and wear my hair in different pinned up styles. I airdry and may occasionally mooth new growth with the flat iron.

Softresses

Softtresses, your hair is beautiful! So, are you airdrying in a bun. I don't think airdrying is my friend. I tried it once and my hair was frizzy.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I do. Flexi - rods and buns are the answer. The longer my strenght the smaller my rollers get to get a curly look. I just relaxed my hair on Saturday and I was 14 weeks post then.

Softresses

Thanks Janee, I usually airdry with it hanging loose and when it gets almost dry smooth in a little conditioner to keep it moist, comb it smooth and pin it up.

Softresses

sunnydaze

I do. I normally stretch 12-14 weeks before a retouch. I am in protective style mode right now, so it just a matter of wearing a scarf at night to help my roots lay. But before, I use to pin my hair up alot, or secure in a low ponytail. Back when I was using heat on a consistent basis (now a no-no), I woud rest the iron on my roots and that would help relax the new growth.

janeemat

lana said:
I'm 10 weeks post exactly (I'm texlaxed) and I'm struggling to make it to twelve weeks. I don't use weaves or anything else, I wash and take care of it myself and my regular style is a pincurled look.

I have over two inches of new growth and it's just hard to hang in there. I don't even want to wash my hair right now. I'm washing every 7 days to reduce the amount of manipulation....I just need to make it to May 4th. That's two more weeks and then I can texlax again (just the roots/new growth of course)

I'm about to start using Boundless Tresses, but I'm concerned that more growth than normal will make me give in earlier on the next stretch. But I still want more growth! (laughs)

Lana, is this your first stretch? Two inches is wonderful!

InNeedofHairapy

I've done it before...I've even gone longer than 12 weeks. I went a whole year wearing a puff. I'd co-wash my hair everyday and then put moisturizer and frizz-ease in it and let it air dry..When I realized 'oh, I haven't relaxed my hair in a year' I cut the relaxed ends off and went about my business..

right now, I am stretching or transitioning and have not had a relaxer for 16 weeks...This last month I've been wearing falls and will probably keep wearing them until I decide to bc, transition for real, or relax again

e$h

I've stretched 20 weeks when I first joined the board. It was well worth it might I add. I'll be 14 weeks come Friday and I'm stretching til 19 weeks this time around. I have a wedding to attend that week so I have to touch up. I always bun when I'm stretching. Rollersetting is tedious and I haven't experimented with braidouts yet. So yeah, buns, buns and more buns help me stretch.:grin:

Dijah

I stretch by pinning my hair up and wearing fancy scarves. I usually go 12 weeks, but I am going to do 15 weeks this time.

AKA-Tude

I have previously gone about 10 wks, but I'm 12 wks now (& boy do I need some relaxer-ation!).

I either do a rollerset, or flat iron then use the caruso-esque rollers.

I have flat ironed it but the NG ain't havin' it.

So Imma hit the Phyto jar by the weekend.

deontaer

I'm 15 weeks post and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go ahead and transition or relax again in June, which will make it a 6 mos. stretch. I airdry my hair with a scarf. I make a silk rinse with essential oils and jojoba oil that keeps my hair very soft, and laid down for the most part, but I don't like the frizziness and I'm not with putting about bunch of serums and stuff on my hair. Yesterday I flat ironed my hair (that makes it second and last time in 6 mos) and I wear it in one big pin curl/bun that's held in place with one of those barrets with the stick that goes through it. I really like this style while stretching because I've eliminatied putting my hair in any type of ponytail to help with my fragile edges and breakage at the contact site of the scrunchie. I wish I had the patience to roller set my hair to get that sleek look, but I just don't.

blackbarbie

I usally go 16-24 weeks (4-6 months) and by the time I get to that 14th or 15th week, for me, it's bunning and getting the roots straight by using sylver2's scarf method.

When I rollerset it, I usually finger comb the roots out and pin them up into a nice updo or just bun it.

janeemat

Thanks ladies! All of you are encouraging me to go longer. 12 wks is May 16th but I'm going to push for May 30th or June 13th. We'll see how it goes! This will be my personal challenge.

Ms_Delikate

Miss*Tress

When I lived in hot and humid South Florida, I used to stretch 16 weeks. When I moved to Europe, I was able to go 6-9 months between touch ups.

Roller sets and washing twice a week helped me keep the 'do looking fresh.

texasgrl

I ended a 12 wk stretch today :D . I went down 2 hat sizes:p . I do buns and braidouts with a few roller sets every once in a while. I use lotsa my glycerine mix to keep my hair moist ant the roots flat.

Divine Inspiration

My last stretch was for 16 months, and I've never worn braids, weaves, or wigs.

I'm not sure what kind of secret you're looking for since there are different aspects of maintaining it and of course, they vary from person to person.

Cowashing worked well for me when I was relaxed bone straight, but my texlaxed hair doesn't seem to appreciate COwashing as much so I don't do it as often.

Pincurls/bantu knots are probably my favorite style because it doesn't require heat, and the style is still cute.

Finding the right products has been key for me as has maintaining the moisture/protein balance since the line of demarcation is often delicate.

Also, I had to change my perspective on detangling...it takes longer, but my hair is better for it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I think diet is extremely important because it will affect the condition of your new growth. For me, eating well and drinking plenty of water equals soft & manageable new growth.

HTH
{DI}

Doll

I've been stretching for approx. 3 1/2 months (last touchup 12/29). My usual style is one low braid w/o a hairband. I use sta-sof-fro to keep my roots manageable and a doo rag to flatten them. At this time my hair seems a bit over moisturized and weakened, so I plan to do an Aphoghee treatment soon.

The longer I stretch the more time in-between washings for low manipulation which equals less breakage and shedding for me. I'm not sure how long this stretch will last, but I would like to go for six months like my stretch before this one on the HYHTC challenge. :)

Junonia

This time around I stretched for 13 weeks. I wear a ponytail everyday. I plan to do the same thing for my 6 month stretch. I'll have to have my hair wash more often to keep the new growth more manageable. I will continue to wear a ponytail.

Lusa

The only times I have stretched my relaxer for 12 weeks or more in the past without braids, weaves etc SUCCESSFULLY was when I was going to the salon weekly. I was getting regular treatments, and this kept the new growth pretty manageable and I never had to worry about much for those 6 days in between visits.

But now, that I am a little more frugal and salon visits getting more spendy I find the best way to stretch is by having my hair in braids.

DKO

I normally stretch for 16 weeks. I don't have any problems with my ng and it stays managable. Towards the end I do a co-wash during the week and wear my hair in a bun or twist out. I use the scarf method to keep the edges smooth and ng flat. For the first 8-10 weeks I pincurl at night and wear curly updo's in the day and only wash once a week with a rollerset.

Maa Maa omo mti

I do. I'm 20wks or more post relaxer. It's my first time being this long. I've actually been able to deal with my hair more than when it was relaxed can you believe that? I've tried so many styles with my hair like this. I don't do braids haven't going on 5 yrs now. I own a lf(just got it last month) but haven't tried it yet.

I've been able to maintain by rollersetting. Around January and february I was doing wash and go every 2 days, using sylver's style. BT which came into my life in february has been very helpful with the NG. I've found out that my NG is actually softer and less tangled than my relaxed hair. Two weeks ago I went to a DS for rollerset and roots blown out. I'm not going to frequenty DS that much the heat is crazy. I wear a lot of protective styles. I'm not trying to look cute all the time so I don't care that much what people think. Plus I have an agenda. When my hair is on point and the way I want it then I can flaunt it, till than I will be diligent about staying with the homely look.

bellesocialite

I'm checking in, lol. I have stretched 15 weeks without braids. It wasn't a good idea at all. I can go about 12 weeks comfortably. The last week, I gave in to the NG. I don't use heat on my NG because the scarf method keeps me from looking crazy. I continue to wash my hair once a week and moisturize my NG with s-curl to keep it from breaking and being manageable. Rollersets also helped tremendously but cutting manipulation and smoothing the NG when the rollers are pulled taut.

CHECKMATE!

Next wk,Im about to end a 12wk (3mth) stretch:D ...my NG is crazy...it looks like 2 inches;) ...APL,Im on my way:grin: ...I co-wash every few days (no poo)...I ACV rinse every week...use Penetraitt (protein) wkly & AO Honeysuckle rose or Terax Crema for moisture...I seal afterwards with coconut oil...I detangle while the conditioner is in,then place in two braids to airdry...I cant wait to see the length I've gained:p

sexyaqr

I did 11 weeks one time and it was really good for my hair. I only did 9 weeks this time cause the last relaxer was not done well so the new growth was crazy. But I am gonna go for 12 weeks this time around. You ladies are my motivation.

Oh that scarf method really works!!!!!

ChasingBliss

I'm at my 6th month right now (24 weeks). I plan to relax in May. I never wear braids, weaves, ect. I'm actually starting to really love my new growth and am thinking I just may flat iron my hair for graduation and keep going with this stretch after that.