Who Stretches 12wks or more W/O Braids, Weaves, Wigs, etc

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I stretch my relaxers for 16 weeks w/o braids, weaves, or wigs. :up:

I just cowash and bun it up all the time.

janeemat said:
For the stretchers, I was wondering who stretches their relaxers more than 12 wks without wearing braids, weaves, wigs, etc. In Feb I successfully completed a 12 wk stretch by rollersetting. Sometimes I would use the back of my curling iron to press the ng. Other times I would just finger comb the rollerset in a bun. I don't do co-washes. My wash days are Wed & Sat. I'm 8 wks post now and I'm thinking of going for 14 wks. I've come to the conclusion that the longer I can go without a relaxer, the healthier my hair becomes. I'll admit it was a lot of work keeping 12 wks post looking decent, but it was well worth. If this is you ladies, chime in and share your secret.

Last edited:

Cleve_gryl

I'll be 12 weeks this friday...I haven't had any issues this far, and am really trying to go to 16. My saving grace has been washing hair twice a week (tues & sat), silicon mix, rollersets, daily moisture and pinning the hair up. I get to wear it down the day after washing it (wed & sunday) and then up it goes to the next wash.

janeemat

Cleve_gryl said:
I'll be 12 weeks this friday...I haven't had any issues this far, and am really trying to go to 16. My saving grace has been washing hair twice a week (tues & sat), silicon mix, rollersets, daily moisture and pinning the hair up. I get to wear it down the day after washing it (wed & sunday) and then up it goes to the next wash.

This is basically what I do except my days are Wed and Sat. That silicon mix works wonders on ng. So after reading everyone's response I guess I'm on the right track.

soulfusion

I do. I just came off a 13 week stretch with massive amts of new growth. I wash 1-2 times a week, using dom rinses and suave humectess condish for detangling. This stretch, I used silicon mix for the first time (which I liked). Strangely enough, Alter Ego garlic trmt allowed me to cut thru my new growth like a dream. That was surprising 'cuz it's not what I was using it for.

My main style is braidouts - even though I normally take my 6-8 plaits down and immediately put my hair up in a bun. It's the easiest way for me to keep my hair moisturized.

I think cutting out routine heat styling (I still use heat for deep conditioning and do the occasional rollerset) has been the best thing for my hair. I don't measure, but B4 this stretch I was APL. Now that I've relaxed I can tuck my hair underneath my armpits and hair sticks out from the back. I guess that makes me super-APL :lol:

slim_thick

I'm at 12 weeks post today, it's been hard but I managed to maintain a decent style by rollersetting and french braids with spiral curls in the front. I DC once a week and wash every four days.