Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

View Poll Results: Why do stylist cut too much?
They made a honest mistake. 2 0.89%
They found a short area and tried to even it up. 74 33.04%
They found damage and tried to fix it. 29 12.95%
They don't know what their doing. 57 25.45%
They're jealous. 62 27.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanked 9,652 Times in 1,524 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Default Why do stylist chop off too much?

Last year I went into a salon, with really nice looking hair. It bounces and was about APL. I asked for a trim and stressed don't cut too much. She said my hair was felt really nice, although she didn't seem happy about it. And I left with much shorter SL hair. I have no idea why she did it, but she will never see me or my money again.

A lot of people have a story just like mine. So I decided to make a poll. It feels like stylist are committed to cutting off way too much hair off of longer haired women. Did they just make a mistake? Did they see short sections and just decided to make it even? Or are they just jealous?

Last edited by frida1980; 07-26-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanked 1,075 Times in 252 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 36 Thread(s)
Default Re: Why do stylist chop off too much?

I think some are hair haters but the majority really believe they r doing the right thing by cutting so much. they dont know any better
Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Because their nucking futs.

That's why.
rous 'n' High Density, Natural (BC'd 1st day 'o spring 2011), Ceramide 'N' Porosity Control are My Hot Hot Sex!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yoshi3329 For This Useful Post:
CaribbeanQueen (01-07-2011), dollface0023 (04-05-2011), phillycocogirl (04-09-2011), RibzyMitzi7 (04-06-2011), SimpleKomplexity (01-09-2011), SmileyNY (04-06-2011), tricie (01-07-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They cut off too much because they are jealous haters..LOL
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanked 4,096 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Some do it out of spite and jealousy. Some I think really don't know any better and are just used to hacking hair off to a certain length. That's why a "professional" will never put a pair of scissors near my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsChelle For This Useful Post:
IMFOCSD (04-05-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanked 9,652 Times in 1,524 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

Looks like a lot of stylist are fixated on evening out your length. Surprising.

I for one, would love it if stylist asked me before cutting so much off. They already know how long it takes to this length, and it's heartless to watch it go.

Ironically, the best trim I've gotten was from a white woman. She touched my hair, noticed and asked about my layers. She commented on some damage she saw and asked if I had some trouble straightening parts of my hair. (I was) She told me that others had neglected to trim the layers, which is why I was having so much trouble. Then she told me she needed to trim an inch, and that's all she trimmed. I was really impressed.

All stylist need to do this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frida1980 For This Useful Post:
Kimiche (01-07-2011), RibzyMitzi7 (04-06-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanked 1,020 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I think they cut too much in one area and keep cutting until all the hair is even. Unfortunately, the client ends up losing a lot of progress because the the stylist tried to correct a mistake. My stylist is good but she will murder your progress if she makes a tiny mistake. I'm mentally preparing myself for my Dec trim...I'll tell her that I want a half inch trimmed so I'll probably lose about 1.5-2 inches (which is what I really want). If I tell her that I want about 1.5 inches cut I'll lose about 2.5" Nah son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasturner84 For This Useful Post:
RegaLady (04-08-2011), shortdub78 (01-07-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanked 5,319 Times in 1,087 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

i think its a combination of trying to even out your hair and jealousy as well. i have a story similar to op, where i just made it to apl. i'd vowed since last year not to trim often b/c my stylist would always try to even my hair, even though my hair grows longer on the right, i've grown to accept this. i specifically told her not to cut too much and not to try to even it out b/c it grows that way. she said ok. she styled my hair and wrapped it since it was soo late (close to 9pm) i unwrapped my hair the next morning to find sl hair. i was in tears b/c it took soo long to finally get my hair close to my goal. i vowed that if i wanted to have my hair trimmed to go somewhere like the hair cuttery. she is a good stylist but i'll never let her trim my hair again. she did exactly the opposite of what i asked, she cut my hair clear across so it was all even. my hair naturally grows in layers. i was soo disgusted. i've been hiding my hair and doing cowashes daily, and taking my vitamins. im making progress though. sorry for the long post. lol

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanked 1,048 Times in 367 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

I think stylist may cut off too much hair for the following reason, which have nothing to do with "hating"!!!

1. Mishaps happen do to miscommunication -Many stylist have a different perceptions on how much an inch or half an inch is (Even though many cutting combs have the inches marked on them). If a stylist is just eyeballing the trim 9 times out of 10 her inch/half an inch is going to be 2 to 3 times greater then what you wanted cut off. That's why it's so important to show your stylist how much (using a visual, such as your fingers) you want cut off. Never say to a stylist "just cut the split ends" or " Just cut the bare minimal", because each stylist interpretation of this may differ.

2. Stylist are trained to style!!!- So, even if they are trimming your hair they want it to look as if they styled it, therefore this may lead them to cut more then necessary.

To keep mishaps from taking place, clients should always consult with their "new" stylist before & during the appointment or update their "old" stylist with their new hair plans if things have changed. If you feel that you are not being heard LEAVE, you are not obligated to get your hair serviced by someone with whom you feel uncomfortable with.

I read so many post about "BAD" stylist, but if clients were more vigilant in assessing whose chair they are sitting in before they sit there these post would decrease greatly.

Natural/fine/4b/medium density
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charmtreese For This Useful Post:
ProtectiveStyling (01-08-2011), RegaLady (04-08-2011), Rocky91 (01-06-2011), Theresamonet (04-05-2011), umagba (01-06-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I am getting my hair relaxed this week and for the first time in my life -I'm going to instruct her not to cut anything at all. I've been wondering why I am not getting anywhere and then it dawned on me that these people keep trying to even me up. I'm so over it!

Hair Goal - waist length :dance:
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Location: Patiently waiting for Sunday because my $6.50 earns interest then.....
Thanked 7,113 Times in 1,459 Posts
Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 44 Thread(s)

The answers quite simple they are all Satan's little helpers.

(Orhan Pamuk)
The Following User Says Thank You to hanna_light For This Useful Post:
Embyra (01-07-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Honey B. Fly

Thanked 21,333 Times in 7,320 Posts
Mentioned: 4956 Post(s)
Tagged: 159 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmtreese View Post
I think stylist may cut off too much hair for the following reason, which have nothing to do with "hating"!!!

1. Mishaps happen do to miscommunication -Many stylist have a different perceptions on how much an inch or half an inch is (Even though many cutting combs have the inches marked on them). If a stylist is just eyeballing the trim 9 times out of 10 her inch/half an inch is going to be 2 to 3 times greater then what you wanted cut off. That's why it's so important to show your stylist how much (using a visual, such as your fingers) you want cut off. Never say to a stylist "just cut the split ends" or " Just cut the bare minimal", because each stylist interpretation of this may differ.

2. Stylist are trained to style!!!- So, even if they are trimming your hair they want it to look as if they styled it, therefore this may lead them to cut more then necessary.

To keep mishaps from taking place, clients should always consult with their "new" stylist before & during the appointment or update their "old" stylist with their new hair plans if things have changed. If you feel that you are not being heard LEAVE, you are not obligated to get your hair serviced by someone with whom you feel uncomfortable with.

I read so many post about "BAD" stylist, but if clients were more vigilant in assessing whose chair they are sitting in before they sit there these post would decrease greatly.
In the past I have never specifically stated how much I wanted trimmed. I would always leave the option up to the stylist as I felt they knew best but in the end, I'm left unhappy. On the flip side, I don't want to suggest 1/2" when I truly need 1" cut. Since joining LHCF a few months ago, I've been PS'n so in my mind, I shouldn't require major trims like previous times. Point being -- I need to better communicate my desires and goals.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Extraordinary

Thanked 17,222 Times in 2,415 Posts
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 59 Thread(s)

I assume to make all the hair the same length as the hair at the nape? They use the bottom hair as the guide and end up cutting many inches off because many peoples napes are a bit shorter than the rest of their hair. If they would part from ear to ear instead of the base of the hairline, I'm sure so much wouldn't be trimmed off. But I don't fool with them anymore lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to MariposaSexyGirl For This Useful Post:
IMFOCSD (04-05-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanked 3,065 Times in 846 Posts
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 63 Thread(s)

Thank you Charm. SO TRUE.

**Many times clients have no idea what an inch or a half and inch are either.

**You get what you pay for (this always applies, and if you get in the chair of a diva who will talk your head off while they are cutting - they are automatically cutting too much. LOL)

**They see thinned out ends. Sorry ladies but APL thin and APL full IS NOT THE SAME. Yup I said it.

**Good stylists know their name is attached to that head of hair (not making an excuse for anyone intentionally cutting too much, but a good one will let you know they need to take more than say the first digit marker on your pointer finger - before hand)

**If you don't want them to see your broken hair, tell them you want a BLUNT cut. Once they lift the hair and see how broken and uneven it is they will want to trim it (when they call it dead ends it is just nice speak for breakage)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I think it depends on the stylist, so I would choose "All of the above." I've been to many horrible stylists who, I believe, cut for all of those reasons.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanked 38,114 Times in 6,786 Posts
Mentioned: 900 Post(s)
Tagged: 107 Thread(s)

They're scissor happy. they get some kind of high cutting hair LOL I'm convinced of this!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanked 2,372 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HijabiFlygirl View Post
Thank you Charm. SO TRUE.

**Many times clients have no idea what an inch or a half and inch are either.

**You get what you pay for (this always applies, and if you get in the chair of a diva who will talk your head off while they are cutting - they are automatically cutting too much. LOL)

**They see thinned out ends. Sorry ladies but APL thin and APL full IS NOT THE SAME. Yup I said it.

**Good stylists know their name is attached to that head of hair (not making an excuse for anyone intentionally cutting too much, but a good one will let you know they need to take more than say the first digit marker on your pointer finger - before hand)

**If you don't want them to see your broken hair, tell them you want a BLUNT cut. Once they lift the hair and see how broken and uneven it is they will want to trim it (when they call it dead ends it is just nice speak for breakage)
SPot on! I think yes there may be a few jealous stylists in the bunch but lets be real. Some folks have very damaged tresses that they just dont' want to part with. If a stylist sees this damage and you're talking about "oh I only want 1/2inch trimmed" and they see 2 inches of damage, maybe they feel they are doing their service RIGHT. leaving your hair in a better condition than you came.

Before you allow a stylist to cut/trim/dust your hair, why don't you ask them to look over your hair and SHOW YOU how much (actually show you - with fingers) length they plan on snipping off. That will save you alot of heartache. imo.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nasdaq_Diva For This Useful Post:
chanjune80 (04-06-2011), IMFOCSD (04-05-2011), RegaLady (04-08-2011), Rina88 (04-10-2011), Theresamonet (04-05-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanked 4,888 Times in 1,342 Posts
Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

Straight from several stylists mouths, I heard them actually say "I HATE doing long hair! It takes too much time and I need to charge more for long hair!" I was going to one of these stylists at the time and was wondering why I stayed at SL for an entire year. She kept saying my hair grew fast but I saw none of that progress. I am now blessed with a stylist that absolutely takes pleasure in seeing my hair grow and strive and she trims the bare minimum! The only issue is that she's about 1600 miles away! LOL! I visit there at least 2 -3 times a year. It's worth it!
Goal Length: HL (6 inches away)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanked 2,372 Times in 623 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebezazueta View Post
Straight from several stylists mouths, I heard them actually say "I HATE doing long hair! It takes too much time and I need to charge more for long hair!" I was going to one of these stylists at the time and was wondering why I stayed at SL for an entire year.
And how long did you stay in this woman chair before you figured out she did not have your best interest (ie. growth) at heart Why do people continue to sit in these stylists chairs when they've made it clearly known you're hair is too much of a chore for them?

I don't understand. That's like if I sit in a stylist chair (and this has happened) and she tells me, "I'm natural too, but you should really let me press your hair. It'll be prettier" then I know she doesn't have my best interest at heart (ie. natural - non heat styled) Why would I sit in someone hair who prefers not to do natural hair?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nasdaq_Diva For This Useful Post:
Theresamonet (04-05-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanked 2,419 Times in 461 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Get a Creaclip and a Splitender and do it yourself. Only you knows exactly what you want..right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mleah For This Useful Post:
nicki6 (04-06-2011)