How To Prepare Your Hair Before BIG CHOP

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I tried doing a search on "big chop" and didn't find the threads I needed. Then I tried doing a search on "BC" and it said it was too common. :mad:

Anyway, for those of you who have gotten the BIG CHOP, I have a few questions for ya...

Did you chop it off or did you have a stylist chop it off???

Did you or your stylist cut your relaxed ends off on WET hair or DRY hair???

I'm sure some of you ladies are surprised to why I'm asking!!! :sekret:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

chocolate01

I don't have any advice because I haven't chopped yet but im awaiting responses. But im curious as to why your asking ? Tell us tell us:poke:

Poohbear

chocolate01 said:
I don't have any advice because I haven't chopped yet but im awaiting responses. But im curious as to why your asking ? Tell us tell us:poke:
...better to cut than to have it break off... :grin:

chocolate01

Poohbear said:
...better to cut than to have it break off... :grin:

OMG really!!! I have no idea why im so excited because i've yet to cut my own hair but congrats and post pics if that's what you decide to do.

lsubabiedee

i cut it on my own with the help of my boyfriend at the time

umm...i cant remember if my hair was wet when i first started cutting but i do know that as i got in to it, i spritzed my hair with water...afterwards, i took a shower and washed my hair and cut the parts that i missed

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Did you chop it off or did you have a stylist chop it off??? I DID

Did you or your stylist cut your relaxed ends off on WET hair or DRY hair??? WET

CheerBear

Well, once upon a time when I BC'ed back in the day, I went to a barber and they just buzzed me off til I had about 1/2 inch left...so you can go that route

OR
Last November, I BC'ed a friend and what we did was wash her hair, put no products in, and I took some hair shears and slowly cut off small sections until we were down to the natural hair. She then washed it again to make sure all the straight ends were gone and did little here and there snips

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I chopped mine on wet hair with conditioner in it. The relaxed ends were straight, i just cut where the two textures met.

I had to do mine because of breakage too, I was still trying to maintain a straight look for these events I had to attend and was doing more damage to my hair trying to straighten it. I planned to chop after a year but only made it 8 mos. I have some heat damage to get rid of but I want to wait until a full year. Plus in a wash n go you cant tell. If I had had a better flat iron and my bbd stretch I would have been ok but I was glad I chopped. I felt so "free". :)

Good luck!!

Poohbear

Enchantmt said:
I chopped mine on wet hair with conditioner in it. The relaxed ends were straight, i just cut where the two textures met.

I had to do mine because of breakage too, I was still trying to maintain a straight look for these events I had to attend and was doing more damage to my hair trying to straighten it. I planned to chop after a year but only made it 8 mos. I have some heat damage to get rid of but I want to wait until a full year. Plus in a wash n go you cant tell. If I had had a better flat iron and my bbd stretch I would have been ok but I was glad I chopped. I felt so "free". :)

Good luck!!
Interesting you say this. I planned to chop after two years, then it changed to 1 year, and now at almost 7.5 months, I want to chop my relaxed ends off!

See, yesterday I took my hair down from the bun and was playing in my hair and noticed several areas were my relaxed hair had broken off. Maybe the hairs I loss last Saturday was relaxed ends breaking off as well as shedding. :yep:

Peachtree

Poohbear said:
Did you chop it off or did you have a stylist chop it off???

Did you or your stylist cut your relaxed ends off on WET hair or DRY hair???

I chopped it myself on wet hair.... & I LUV'D EVERY MINUTE OF IT :bouncy:

divine

Whatever you do, do not cut it in a layered style. It looks nice when its straight, but when its in it natural state its not. I had my natural hair cut in layers, and I hate myself for it. If the front of my hair grows 3inches this summer, i'm cutting it.

SilkyandSmooth

Thanks for starting this thread Poohbear because I can use the info as well. I have a feeling that I'm going to be BCing sooner than later.

Poohbear

divine said:
Whatever you do, do not cut it in a layered style. It looks nice when its straight, but when its in it natural state its not. I had my natural hair cut in layers, and I hate myself for it. If the front of my hair grows 3inches this summer, i'm cutting it.
I definitely don't want any layers, especially if I hated layers with relaxed hair. ;)

Poohbear

SilkyandSmooth said:
Thanks for starting this thread Poohbear because I can use the info as well. I have a feeling that I'm going to be BCing sooner than later.
You're welcome. How long have you been transitioning???

chocolate01

Pooh you see what you started now im pushing my chop date up too. I was planning on going a year but the last two weeks have been not so good. So I was like why am I holding on to my ends? if I chop my hair will be grow back. With that being said as soon as I find someone I trust to do it for me and then style it I am getting rid of these things :grin:

Poohbear

chocolate01 said:
Pooh you see what you started now im pushing my chop date up too. I was planning on going a year but the last two weeks have been not so good. So I was like why am I holding on to my ends? if I chop my hair will be grow back. With that being said as soon as I find someone I trust to do it for me and then style it I am getting rid of these things :grin:
This is the question that started haunting me during the middle of last week, so...

...check out my siggy. Once I get pics, I'll create a new thread! :grin:

Tru_Mind

divine said:

I have that same problem Divine. I want my hair shaped.

@Poohbear I cut it i myself dry(I don't mess with wet hair). I already new how much needed to be cut after figuring it out on my wet hair.

SilkyandSmooth

Poohbear said:
You're welcome. How long have you been transitioning???

It'll be a year on Saturday. This is my second time transitioning (I lasted about 3 months the last time), so I'm really happy that I've made it this far. I don't regret my decision one bit.

kittykhat

I just did my BC. I did it myself and I did it on wet and dry hair but I found out that when I do it with wet hair I couldn't really tell from my natural and relaxed hair as much as I can when my hair was dry. I didn't really prep my hair. I just did minichops and finally the BC. Lol.