**WHO** did your BIG CHOP????

Who chopped ya?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I did it myself. I think I got a little scissor happy b/c 2 weeks later I BCd again. I love being in control of this whole natural journey

melodies815

Let me just preface my post by saying I am married to an absolute control freak...who is the love of my life outside of Jesus Christ!!!

I BC MY OWN DOGGONE HAIR!!!

And it drove my hubby crazy because it was not as perfectly even as he would have liked it.

I found out after having my natural hair for about a month that the hair "changes" as it gets used to being natural and short. I don't have a scientific term for it, but...maybe someone else can vouch for this...it does "change" somehow.

A couple of days after I BC, I let him "even it up." I wish I had not done that. He took off at least 1.5 inches that I would have liked to have right now. lol :grin: I would have been able to do a twist-out right away instead of having to wait 8 weeks....and 8 weeks with a TWA can be a really long time.

Personally, I think we should BC OURSELVES and then wash and wait at least a week. Get used to the hair before the 2nd BC to see if it's even needed. What I thought was stray relaxed ends is actually the way my hair grows in the front and near my temples. I could never cut it out; it just grows in curly/straight which is soooo weird because the rest of my hair is a seriously different texture!!

The only thing that makes my hair look uniform is a twist-out or a coil-out. That will change with time and length.

Untimately, I think we should trust ourselves to BC because the heir does change with length/weight and time. When you have absolutely no chemicals, the hair adjusts and is a little different and yo get to know it after...I would say...8 weeks or so?? Anyone else wanna chime in on that? That's what I found. I could be wrong...

DozenRoses99

I did my bc myself. i had to cut stray relaxed pieces on and off for a few weeks afterwards, but i wouldn't change anything.

cinnamin2891

Well, technically I've had two BCs - one to cut off the relaxer, which a stylist did, and another 5 years later to cut off my locs, which I did myself. Man, my hair could be soooo long right now!

brandy

I did. I wet my hair and cut off the relaxed hair:yep:. Afterwards my husband trimmed off what I couldn't cut and evened it out.

Mad Scientist

My mom did it. That's why it turned out so jacked up, but I tried to even it out myself. If I had done the whole thing myself, it'd be a mess lol It was pretty hard to tell what was what. I think she cut off a little too much.

Last edited:

naturalepiphany

I big chopped myself and I cut just below the demarcation line. It kinda felt like I cut more than what was necessary but its growing healthy and I don't have any shedding or splits. I didn't go to a salon because I haven't been to one in four years so it would have been a really big deal if I had went to get my big chop done. Well at least to me. Plus I'm sure it was cheaper for me to do it myself and not have to worry about someone yanking my hair out or anything worse.

1 bottle of VO5 conditioner - $1
1 new pair of hair shears - $4.99
1 head of natural hair - $priceless$

~~HoneyComb~~

I've done all 3 of my big chops, when I was relaxed I cut my hair down to 1/4"-1/2" all over, and the 2 other times I just cut into a tapered look in the back and left it longer in the front and sides.

RedVelvet310

My cousin did it for me :yep: Everytime we're around anyone and I have my hair out she tells them how one year ago I had no hair and how it's grown like crazy since then :grin:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I went to a stylist. In fact, it was the last stylist I have ever visited. That was 6 years ago, almost 7.

kryolnapps

I did it myself. I didn't know anyone in the area that I felt comfortable with cutting it. Plus it was very special for me very empowering. I was cutting away the past and leaving it there and was ready to grow into my future. So I didn't want anyone else to take that from me. I know it's a bit deep but I learned a lot about myself during my transition and felt that I needed to take the final step myself.

That was my exact experience! My ex-bf at the time wanted to do it for me, but somehow I didn't feel like he should be a part of it. And for good reasons, we broke up shortly thereafter. I felt liberated and empowered when I cut my hair. I never thought I could do it. I used to despise my natural hair and would think that a relaxer was the best invention ever:lachen:

Qurlyqt

My stylist has done all of my major cuts, including my BC. While I transitioned, she cut off whatever amount I asked. Then when I had 3" left of remaining relaxed ends, I told her to "just cut out all the relaxer." Recently, she also cut the 5" of damaged ends as instructed.

I trust myself to "dust" but I prefer to leave the major stuff to the professionals. :ohwell: I usually get a professional cut once a year.

Blessed_Angel

My first big chop was done by a stylist over a decade ago.

My last two bc's were done by me. My first one I cut off all my relaxed ends. The second one had less damage; so I cut off most of the relaxed hair.

chosen07

my friend/neighbor who is a barber...under the suggestion of my husband. MISTAKE. he was very focused on getting a clean cut, making sure the 'fro' was presentable, even after I hinted that he was taking off too much. in reality, I didn't need a clean, even fro because I never wore my hair in that picked fro look! so i lost about an inch on my sides in vain.