**WHO** did your BIG CHOP????

Who chopped ya?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

envybeauty

Did you cut off your own relaxed ends or did you go to a stylist? a barber? Did they know how much to cut off? Did they just cut at the demarcation line or below that?

Just curious :look:

beans4reezy

I never BC'd...but my sister did and she had her husband do it...another one of my good friends had her little sister do it. My family and/or friends who BC see it as something really special, so they tend to have someone connected to them do it. Sweet really :)

Neith

I did it myself.

I almost wish that I wasn't so paranoid about other people in my hair. My hair is pretty uneven.

It was easy for me to just get rid of the relaxed ends. I had my hair in about 15 medium braids. The root of the braids were nice and thick, and the poor relaxed ends were much thinner. It was easy to see where I should cut. :yep:

RubyWoo

I did it myself. I just wet my hair, put in tons of conditioner and cut at the demarcation line. I cut in very small sections so that I could make sure that I didn't cut too much. I also used a second mirror so that I could see the back and know where to cut. Overall, I think I did a pretty good job :)!

BrownEyez22

I did it myself. I had worked out at the gym, pretty hard and I basically had a lil fro with relaxed ends everywhere, so I just cut it.

sky_blu

I started it but my hair stylist (cousin) finished it. I wish I would've just went to her from the get go, it looked easier said than done. I probably could've had more hair if I had.

Vonnieluvs08

I did it myself. I didn't know anyone in the area that I felt comfortable with cutting it. Plus it was very special for me very empowering. I was cutting away the past and leaving it there and was ready to grow into my future. So I didn't want anyone else to take that from me. I know it's a bit deep but I learned a lot about myself during my transition and felt that I needed to take the final step myself.

robot.

My SO and I together. He took over when I got tired of doing it. :lol:
Then I went to the shop to have it evened.

Desarae

I did. It wasn't too hard to tell the 4b nappy fro from the 1a relaxed ends, even with only 4 weeks of NG.

upliftedjw

i did most of it myself....however, I couldn't really see the back so I let my roommate (who is also natural) handle that part for me and cleaned up whatever i missed

Last edited:

silvergirl

the first time i did the big chop my husband did it. i transistioned for a long time and it was pretty easy to tell where to cut.

this time i barely had any new growth so i had my mom, who is a stylist, cut the whole thing off for me.

Shandell

I did. I cut too much and had a fade a 1/4 inch if that. My husband was like what did you do? Oh well, it is growing now so whatever...

Neala21

My sister did my bc. I was able to do the inital cut with scissors which was very freeing. I love my hair and I love that it is all even so I will be able to tell if a certain section is growing faster.

TemiLnd

Did it myself. 4 months later, I did a 'search and destroy' of my knots and Im loving the texture and feel of my hair.

Soliel185

I did it myself. It's been a few days and I still see the occasional straight stray so I've been snip snipping steadily.

I soaked my hair in conditioner, and went section by section cutting the straight hair. Then I brushed it with my Denman to make the ends curl and make it easier to see the remainder. I'll probably continue snipping any strays as I see them.

LuyshuZ

I will be doing it myself and I am keeping all the "natural layers" of my hair for a while. No evening out for me.

Last edited:

CheLala13

Me!!!! It was wonderful. I didn't have to hear comments or remarks...just the sound of the scissors and my own thoughts and the occasional giggle.

Pandora1975

I'm not sure I can consider what I am doing as a "big chop." I'm more along the lines of catch a stray end- cut it out. My relaxed bits were only about 2-3 inches long, and the majority of them at once. Because they disguise in my hair pretty well, I just chop any I missed when I wash. I asked DH to help me and he gave a nervous little laugh and volunteered for more hours at work, so I'm on my own. Just wait till he needs his waist length ends trimmed!

Lyoness

I did it myself, I don't trust anybody else! It was easy to do once my hair was wet the relaxed ends were obvious.

tocktick

I did it myself. I was in individual braids that had slipping down a lot, so it was clear to see where my new growth ended and relaxed hair began. I just cut without taking the braids down.

La Colocha

My sil did, she came to visit me from cali and did my big chop, i was very pleased with it. She does natural hair in cali.

BostonMaria

I asked my stylist to do it and she said no, that I should wait. I couldn't wait anymore so about 2 weeks later I cut it all myself.

I had lots of conditioner in my hair and just snipped away. 2 years later my hair is still uneven on the sides LOL

BrooklynSouth

Very, Americanized, young African braider did it for me. Fela twisted my hair to my specifications..the relaxed ends looked weak and silly so she chopped them off..happy she did.