Black Hair Stylist: Why Are They so Scissor Happy with only our Hair????

seraphim712

This is just curious question from observation in the salon and from read other's posts on here about scissor happy hair stylist:

Why does it seem like black hair stylist are so quick to chop off our (black women) hair without permission or try to find an excuse to chop off our hair, but when it comes to another woman who's a different race, say asian or caucasian women for example, black hair stylist seem to respect their wishes and never try to find an excuse to try and chop off their hair to a shorter length. Basically, they will only cut the asian or caucasian woman's hair if they were asked to do so, but with us it feels like it's mandatory.

Is it that they find it strange that black women can actually grow their hair as long as asian and caucasian women? Or are they just straight up hatin? I'm not saying that every black hair stylist does this, but it appears to be like this every time I walked into a salon.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

mohair

I have no idea!!:ohwell: I have found that when I go to the Dominican salon I literally have to beg to get my ends trimmed:look:. When I went this past Sunday she finally trimmed it and she showed me each snip of hair she cut.:look: I could not believe how carefull she was to preserve the length. I was very pleased. Not sure why the sista's can't do the same.:ohwell:

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Please do not get me started no one really knows what the people inside their heads are saying to them when they have a customer in the chair.

thefineprint

i think it is because :

1) we are prone to having tons of breakage - so they are used to just snipping off ends.

2) in general black women (and black stylists) seem to care more about the style of their hair instead of the overall health. so the stylist is trying to get a cute style and will cut and cut to achieve that no matter what.

This is why I no longer go to black salons for my hair cuts. I go to Aveda and I'm telling you - at least the white stylists listen to me!

CurleeDST

Can't way we can make that blanket statement. I have noticed that stylists of other races chop off people's hair too (not all just the ones I have observed).

seraphim712 said:
This is just curious question from observation in the salon and from read other's posts on here about scissor happy hair stylist:

Why does it seem like black hair stylist are so quick to chop off our (black women) hair without permission or try to find an excuse to chop off our hair, but when it comes to another woman who's a different race, say asian or caucasian women for example, black hair stylist seem to respect their wishes and never try to find an excuse to try and chop off their hair to a shorter length. Basically, they will only cut the asian or caucasian woman's hair if they were asked to do so, but with us it feels like it's mandatory.

Is it that they find it strange that black women can actually grow their hair as long as asian and caucasian women? Or are they just straight up hatin? I'm not saying that every black hair stylist does this, but it appears to be like this every time I walked into a salon.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

CAPlush

blackmaven said:
Please do not get me started no one really knows what the people inside their heads are saying to them when they have a customer in the chair.

Exactly. Stylist generally weird me out anyway.

Anyway, I haven't had any scissor happy problems, but I hope people who have find a stylist they can trust.

shunta

thefineprint said:
i think it is because :

1) we are prone to having tons of breakage - so they are used to just snipping off ends.

2) in general black women (and black stylists) seem to care more about the style of their hair instead of the overall health. so the stylist is trying to get a cute style and will cut and cut to achieve that no matter what.

This is why I no longer go to black salons for my hair cuts. I go to Aveda and I'm telling you - at least the white stylists listen to me!

I agree with this statement. Dont want to brush anybody's feathers:ohwell:

CurleeDST

I go to a black boutique and the stylist there trims my natural hair. She is so careful I sometimes have to ask her to trim more off - if I ask her to take off 1 inch I swear she only takes off 1/2 an inch but she figures, take off a little and I will keep taking off a little until we get to the desired length.

I tend to be aggressive with trims but it works for us. Can't complain about her. But I also pay $45 for a trim.

LovelyLionessa

mohair said:
I have no idea!!:ohwell: I have found that when I go to the Dominican salon I literally have to beg to get my ends trimmed:look:. When I went this past Sunday she finally trimmed it and she showed me each snip of hair she cut.:look: I could not believe how carefull she was to preserve the length. I was very pleased. Not sure why the sista's can't do the same.:ohwell:

That has been largely my experience too. When I used to go to a Dom. Salon, they were perfectly content to not trim and just rollerset. They would always ask first and be okay with a "No" to cutting. When I used to asked for a trim, they would always show with their fingers first and even after the first snip they would show me the amount of hair that had been cut. :yep:

Candy1978

Well I find that no matter which salon I go to ( and I mainly go to Dominican Salons) I have to beg the stylist NOT to trim my hair. Even when I lived in Miami, and went with my sister in law to the Spanish Salons they wanted to cut my darn hair! Finally, I went to a Dominican Salon here in Orlando, because it was rated one of the top 10 in the US by Latina Magazine, and the girl begged me to clippe my ends, and when I finally gave in, she gave me a darn hair cut and I was pissed, not to mention I had 3rd degree burns in my scalp from the strong relxer, so I say that I think most stylist are scissor happy. You can see my 3rd degree burns on my fotki www.fotki.com/candy78

Keen

Candy1978 said:
Well I find that no matter which salon I go to ( and I mainly go to Dominican Salons) I have to beg the stylist NOT to trim my hair. Even when I lived in Miami, and went with my sister in law to the Spanish Salons they wanted to cut my darn hair! Finally, I went to a Dominican Salon here in Orlando, because it was rated one of the top 10 in the US by Latina Magazine, and the girl begged me to clippe my ends, and when I finally gave in, she gave me a darn hair cut and I was pissed, not to mention I had 3rd degree burns in my scalp from the strong relxer, so I say that I think most stylist are scissor happy. You can see my 3rd degree burns on my fotki www.fotki.com/candy78

Same here. I don't think this is a black stylist thing.

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
Stylists have my mom convinced that trims need to be done like, all the time.

I washed my hair today and my mom commented that my hair was looking thicker and then she said "well, now we have to trim your ends..that keeps it thick" I just walked out of the room.

navsegda

AlexB7 said:
Stylists have my mom convinced that trims need to be done like, all the time.

I washed my hair today and my mom commented that my hair was looking thicker and then she said "well, now we have to trim your ends..that keeps it thick" I just walked out of the room.

Hahahaha! :grin:

RoseGolden

CurleeDST said:
Can't way we can make that blanket statement. I have noticed that stylists of other races chop off people's hair too (not all just the ones I have observed).

Yea I noticed that too. You know those little makeover shows on tv, they always wanna cut somebodys hair. But it is even more so with black salons. My stylist is always trying to convince me that I need a trim when she knows I dont want it. Why should I pay you and extra $10 for a trim that I dont even want. wtf this is my hair, leave me alone.

LovelyLionessa

:.Krys.: said:
Yea I noticed that too. You know those little makeover shows on tv, they always wanna cut somebodys hair. But it is even more so with black salons. My stylist is always trying to convince me that I need a trim when she knows I dont want it. Why should I pay you and extra $10 for a trim that I dont even want. wtf this is my hair, leave me alone.

Can we say "Ambush Makeover" 3 times fast? :look:

If I ever saw someone coming at me from that show, I'd run like the wind! :ohwell:

Candy1978

I just hate to generalize and say that "black" stylist do it. I think we are too negative on each other in that regards. I'm sure everyone's statements are based on their personal experiences so I can't totally knock it, but I have had people of all races jack my hair up so I can't generalize and say "black" stylist are the ONLY ones. I should write a darn book about my hair mishaps. My first relaxer was put in by a licensed cosmetologist that lived next door (she was black), by the time she got done, and have slapped so much gel on my hair, and stuck bobby pins all over my scalp to keep my pony tail weave in, I had a fried scalp, bald patches, and scabs every where, then on 2 seperate occasions I attempted to have blond highlights done, one stylist was Cuban, the other Dominican, they both turned my hair platinum blond and I looked like a black Marilyn Monroe..but not in a good way at all...I looked like Sisqo I looked crazy. Then I went to another Cuban guy who does the hair for the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders, and he swore he was the bomb diggy. I let him put strand by strand extensions in, they were falling out left and right, and took more than half my hair out with them. Then I went to my aunts shop, and told her to :do her thang" I don't know why I said that, cause she cut my hair so short I looked like a dude, so, no matter what race or ethnicity a stylist is, you have to be very specific about how you want your hair, and make sure they give you what you asked for, cause if you give them 1/4 of an inch..they will take 5 inches. Personally, I don't go to salons any more, I cn do the same things they can do and it's much cheaper..besides if I jack up my own hair, I can only be mad at myself, and some how that's more comforting to me.:)

navsegda

Candy1978 said:
they both turned my hair platinum blond and I looked like a black Marilyn Monroe..but not in a good way at all...I looked like Sisqo I looked crazy.

HAHAHAHAHA. That is just too funny. :grin::lachen:

Proudpiscean

I think SHS are rampant in all races. For example, I watch the show "What Not To Wear" and the stylist (a white guy ) is VERY scissor happy and he tries to pressure everyone into letting him cut their hair off.

ashiah

amr501 said:
I think SHS are rampant in all races. For example, I watch the show "What Not To Wear" and the stylist (a white guy ) is VERY scissor happy and he tries to pressure everyone into letting him cut their hair off.
I've noticed that, too. I would never let that guy come near me. In one episode, he cut off this white woman's hair into this short pixie cut. The woman hated the cut and started crying and saying, "It took me years to grow that hair!" Her hair wasn't even that long. :confused:

I currently get my relaxers done by this white guy. The last time I was there, he gave me a massive cut to get rid of some thin, overprocessed ends. That was just a month and a half ago. I came in last week and he picked up some scissors and asked if I needed a trim. I told him I would get a trim for the next visit. He obeyed me and put the scissors away, but then launched into a lecture about how my ends are still thin. Gee, that's funny. I don't see my thin ends, and neither do my friends or family who have all complimented me on the new thickness of my hair. This guy also tells me I should stop stretching my relaxers and come in more often.

This all comes down to money. The more relaxers you get, the more money in their pocket. If you a get a trim during every visit, that's also an extra $10 in their pocket. It's not just us, it's all stylists.