Self Chop or Trust a Stylist?

Peachtree

Just curious to know...

When the time comes to chop off the relaxed ends, are u planning to take this matter into ur own hands or trust a stylist to cut it?

Well, I don't trust a stylist as far as I can throw, but I'm thinking that I may have to grit my teeth & allow a stylist to chop off the relaxer... or at least trim my ends after I do the big chop myself...

Naturals, did u self chop or allow a stylist?

Jubilee

Don't chop it yourself. It won't look right.
If you don't trust a stylist you can ask a relative/friend that you trust to do it for you.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Good question. I never chopped. I just gradually trimmed off the relaxer hair myself until it was gone. The result: I look like Krusty the Clown.
It doesn't matter now because I wear a fake puff. I know I'll never be able to even my hair out myself. But I don't trust a stylist any further than I could throw her.

I've also considered going to a barbershop. But I'm afraid I'll walk out with a perfectly rounded 'fro like Bernie Mac...

TinyT

I cut my own, but it could not get the shape I wanted, so I went in to see a stylist that I knew would cut with scissors and not clippers, and she did a bang up job for just $15. Believe it or not, she even shampooed my hair with some tea tree shampoo and conditoned it. It was the best. That was in Jan 2003, and my hair is still keeping a nice shape. I will probably get a trim in Jan 2004.

Ayeshia

Hey i self chopped! i ued my demarcation line as a guide. my hair is even all ove ecept for this one part thats like 1/4" shorter but you cant even tell.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Jubilee said:
Don't chop it yourself. It won't look right.
If you don't trust a stylist you can ask a relative/friend that you trust to do it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot, I'll trust a stylist before I trust family or friends... I luv 'em, but they don't have a clue about cutting
! I can see it now.... a Mr. T do
!

I'm pretty good at cutting my own hair
I'm just afraid that I may cut away too much while I'm trying to even it up! I've become a bit too obsessive with neat/even ends!

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Good question. I never chopped. I just gradually trimmed off the relaxer hair myself until it was gone. The result: I look like Krusty the Clown.
It doesn't matter now because I wear a fake puff. I know I'll never be able to even my hair out myself. But I don't trust a stylist any further than I could throw her.

I've also considered going to a barbershop. But I'm afraid I'll walk out with a perfectly rounded 'fro like Bernie Mac...

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Tgirl said:
I had my niece cut my hair. It came out really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

11/1 was ur big cut... do u have any pics

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
I cut my own, but it could not get the shape I wanted, so I went in to see a stylist that I knew would cut with scissors and not clippers, and she did a bang up job for just $15. Believe it or not, she even shampooed my hair with some tea tree shampoo and conditoned it. It was the best. That was in Jan 2003, and my hair is still keeping a nice shape. I will probably get a trim in Jan 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that sounds nice!
Do u have any pics to share... I'd luv to see ur hair

DDHair

I want to do it, but I am scared that I am won't be able to distinguish some relaxed ends with natural ends.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Hey i self chopped! i ued my demarcation line as a guide. my hair is even all ove ecept for this one part thats like 1/4" shorter but you cant even tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

U did an awesome job with ur cut
I'm hoping to have the same beautiful results next yr (maybe).

Ayeshia

lol thanx peactree i need to edit my post aparently i cant type and watch tv at the same time...lol. you will probably have better results than i did. in fact im sure you will.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
DDHair said:
I want to do it, but I am scared that I am won't be able to distinguish some relaxed ends with natural ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's part of my fear too... & I wonder if (some) stylist even know where to begin cutting...

laketta

I took mine into my own hands. When I saw what I did, I had to RUN to a professional! I am not good with scissors.

offthechainliz

Peachtree, I totally agree with Jubilee find a friend/relative you can trust. after what I went through in mid oct, it's not worth it. I ended up paying the stylist $55 for throwing all of my progress down the drain
, I went home crying that day and vowing not to ever go back to a stylist
. (unless it's someone I know and is trusted my a good recommendation
)

KinkyCurly

I gradually cut the perm out myself. I transitioned for a long time--3 years. I didn't know I was transitioning-I was just tired of the perm. One day I was sick of the left over straight ends and just cut them out. I never wore it straight so it didn't make a difference to me.

Allandra

PeachTree,

I think you did a great job when you cut your hair recently (pics looked great). I bet you'd be able to do a good job yourself (or maybe even your husband).

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
KinkyCurly said:
I gradually cut the perm out myself. I transitioned for a long time--3 years. I didn't know I was transitioning-I was just tired of the perm. One day I was sick of the left over straight ends and just cut them out. I never wore it straight so it didn't make a difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is indeed a long time. If I had some patience, I would like to transition that long also... but I'm far to anxious to see my hair all natural... I've already went from 2 yrs to 1.5 yrs

How long was ur natural hair after the 3 yrs?

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
PeachTree,

I think you did a great job when you cut your hair recently (pics looked great). I bet you'd be able to do a good job yourself (or maybe even your husband).

[/ QUOTE ]

A,
Thanks

I hope that ur right...we'll see

Jewell

I will trim my own hair from now on. I find that stylists can be very spiteful when it comes to cutting hair, especially if its long or healthy. My previous stylist commented on another one of her clients that had hair "much longer than mine," but yet she continuously trimmed MY HAIR without permission. I bet she wasn't cutting the other chick's hair! I even knew this girl in high school who had long hair whose mother was a stylist. Anyone that came to her with hair longer than her daughter's or prettier, she cut it or screwed it up somehow. How petty is that! :mad: I will NEVER let another stylist in my hair.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
While I was transitioning at first I had about 3 trims 4-6 weeks apart that I went to a salon to have done, but I didnt cut my hair the last 4 or 5 months and when I finally did the big chop i did it myself. I just put conditioner in my hair, held it out in sections, and cut off the straight parts. Its not even but folx cant tell. It would have come out better but I couldnt find my hair scissors (still cant) and so the ones I used were kinda dull. As soon as I find a natural stylist in Columbus, Ohio I will get it evened up. My ends are a little dry and frizzy and I want those cut anyway but I think I'm going to wait a few months so I have a lil more hair to work with.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I am gonna go to a stylist. My eyes are too bad and my patience is too thin to do it myself. I am just gona go to a natural salon in my area and get them to do it.

plainj

I was going to post on this very topic. I just cut my hair about a week ago and I am soooo happy. A few months ago I started trimming my own hair little by little but it just did nothing for me. So I got fed up and decided to chop off a good amout. Turned out to be about one to one & a half inches. Now I have so much body to my hair. I love it. I did it very slowly and carefully. It's not absolutely perfectly straight but it's straight enough and no one would be able to tell. I hope this helps my hair. I'm constantly troubled by problems with my hair.

Peachtree

Poohbear said:
bumping!!!!

I was wondering who bump'd up this old thread :lol:

Well, since I started the thread, I might as well give an (( overdue )) update...

I ended up "self chopping" Oct 2, 2004 ... I'm soooo happy that I did :bouncy: . I enjoyed every single moment of it ;) . Overall, I think I did a pretty good job... (( except for the 1.5" of natural hair that I cut, thinking it was relaxed hair )) :mad:

Daisy'sHair

Chopped myself and loved every moment of it. So self liberating, however I will get a professional trim at my six month natural mark. :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Peachtree said:
I was wondering who bump'd up this old thread :lol:

Well, since I started the thread, I might as well give an (( overdue )) update...

I ended up "self chopping" Oct 2, 2004 ... I'm soooo happy that I did :bouncy: . I enjoyed every single moment of it ;) . Overall, I think I did a pretty good job... (( except for the 1.5" of natural hair that I cut, thinking it was relaxed hair )) :mad:
That's great! :) I may not get a hair cut today and just hang on to these relaxed ends until I grow out more of my natural hair! Then, I will be able to tell a definite difference between my relaxed and natural hair so I can cut it myself! :yep: