Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Biotin Doesn't Grow Hair Faster...

I've heard your body stores the excess and continues to use it but that came from a site that was selling it so...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
The Bun Master

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I tend to agree w/Neen's original statement. A friend of mine had cancer treatment before I knew her. She claimed that her hair was 'long' (past shoulder, but certainly not @ even armpit) in the past and she was staying around the same length (at shoulder or just below). She also said her hair had thinned alot. Anyhoo, I noticed that her hair had thickened and was getting longer "all of a sudden". She told me her stylist had put her on Biotin and he was great w/hair (he burned a plug of hair out of my head , but I digress). So I start taking biotin, same # of mgs she was (5mg) and it did absolutely nothing for me. I mean nothing. I think if your body is sufficiently deficient that u do get more benefit from such supplements. But if you have a healthy diet and therefore scalp and hair, most of it is just re-fortifying. Biotin gives me no 'extra' growth, but it doesn't mean it isn't beneficial, just not a benefit in terms of increasing the hair growth rate for me.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Thats as we say in the UK bollocks,just a marketing ploy to get you to buy thier stuff. I have done my research. If that was the case here wouldnt be such a thing as biotin defieciency. People not eating the right food causing skin dermatatis etc. But you cant believe everything you read

Have checked out what foods contain Biotin you could dose up on those
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengschick
Well I tend to agree w/Neen's original statement. A friend of mine had cancer treatment before I knew her. She claimed that her hair was 'long' (past shoulder, but certainly not @ even armpit) in the past and she was staying around the same length (at shoulder or just below). She also said her hair had thinned alot. Anyhoo, I noticed that her hair had thickened and was getting longer "all of a sudden". She told me her stylist had put her on Biotin and he was great w/hair (he burned a plug of hair out of my head , but I digress). So I start taking biotin, same # of mgs she was (5mg) and it did absolutely nothing for me. I mean nothing. I think if your body is sufficiently deficient that u do get more benefit from such supplements. But if you have a healthy diet and therefore scalp and hair, most of it is just re-fortifying. Biotin gives me no 'extra' growth, but it doesn't mean it isn't beneficial, just not a benefit in terms of increasing the hair growth rate for me.

Try a different dose, Look at it this way. Why would GNC and other Supplement companys put Biotin in if it had no benefit. Your friends body will be very different to yours. I would at least give not just biotin. Cuz you really cant take it alone and expect to see a difference!!! Start with a good supplement just for hair and take your 5mg For a good 6 months and c what happens.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Biotin works for me but I dont expect a miracle from any one thing in particular. My nails already grow long but my skin has really improved. I love it!! Plus the pills are cheap and small so I will continue to take them (3mg a day.)
Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Interesting study I found concerning Biotin and what it helps.

The uncombable hair syndrome, also known as spun-glass hair and cheveux incoiffables, is a rare congenital disorder. It is characterized by a longitudinal grooving of the hair shaft resulting in a triangular cross section (pili trianguli et canaliculi). There is a report of biotin reversing scaling, hair loss, hair fragility, and uncombability in a two-year old boy with the syndrome. The hair remained combable even after one year. The mechanism of action of biotin in this condition is not known. Perhaps some cases of uncombable hair syndrome are biotin-responsive. The uncombable hair syndrome should not be confused with cowlicks, localized patches of hair that will not comb down. The cowlick is not a forme fruste of the uncombable hair syndrome, nor is there any evidence that biotin has any effect on cowlicks.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanked 6,573 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

Well I wish somebody would get Christina Aguilera a bigggg bottle of Biotin. She needs it real bad with all those thinning spots.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:17 PM
The Bun Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzylonghair
Try a different dose, Look at it this way. Why would GNC and other Supplement companys put Biotin in if it had no benefit. Your friends body will be very different to yours. I would at least give not just biotin. Cuz you really cant take it alone and expect to see a difference!!! Start with a good supplement just for hair and take your 5mg For a good 6 months and c what happens.
I'm not saying that it has no benefit, but it doesn't increase my hair growth rate. Wheatgerm is great for hair, it doesn't cause the growth rate to speed. The Olive Leaf Extract I take is probably great for my hair in someway too, b/c my hair is growing from a solid diet/mineral base. But it doesn't increase my hair growth rate. I started taking it again along w/a few other things that do increase my growth rate. I think it maybe essential for healthier hair, but not for grow... for me.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Okay so I was reading some more studies. One on rats, another on pregnant women.

One group of rats were given biotin supplements while the other's weren't. The one's who were deficient showed signs of deficiency including alopecia. The ones who had supplements were "normal" and had excess biotin in their urine.

One group of pregnant women was given biotin supplements (300mcg) while the other was given a placebo. Those given biotin (you guessed it) had a "significant" increase of biotin in their urine, while the placebo group showed "no change". Does that mean all that extra biotin goes down the toilet, literally? Unless you are really biotin deficient, I think so .

Btw, this study is about birth defects and something else entirely but you can read it here. http://www.africast.com/health_article.php?newsID=2900

Last edited by Neen; 01-12-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen
I've heard your body stores the excess and continues to use it but that came from a site that was selling it so...
"Water-soluble vitamins must be taken into the body daily, as they cannot be stored and are excreted within one to four days. These include vitamin C and the B-complex vitamins" -Prescription for Nutritional Healing

If it's like vitamin c, your body only uses so much then you pee the rest out, that's why they are non toxic. Hum...I think it works if you are deficient in biotin.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen
Does that mean all that extra biotin goes down the toilet, literally?
Excess biotin is excreted through your urine, which is one of the signs of not being able to over-dose on biotin. However, I can't say that all biotin taken by someone is excreted in their urine. Meaning I may not be 100% biotin deficient, but I could be lacking in some way and so the amount I am taking may not all be excreted. Hopefully none of it is though.

http://www.thevitaminshoppe.com/lear...m&title=Biotin
Quote:
How much is usually taken?

The ideal intake of biotin is unknown. However, the amount of biotin found in most diets, combined with intestinal production, appears to be adequate for preventing deficiency symptoms. Researchers have estimated that 30 mcg per day appears to be an adequate intake for adults. Typically, consumption from a Western diet has been estimated to be 30–70 mcg per day. Larger amounts of biotin (8–16 mg per day) may be supportive for people with diabetes by lowering blood glucose levels and by preventing diabetic neuropathy. Biotin in the amount of 2.5 mg per day strengthened the fingernails of two-thirds of a group of people with brittle nails, according to one clinical trial.

Are there any side effects or interactions?

Excess intake of biotin is excreted in the urine; no toxicity symptoms have been reported.

Biotin works with some other B vitamins, such as folic acid, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), and vitamin B12. However, no solid evidence indicates that people supplementing with biotin also need to take these other vitamins. Symptoms of pantothenic acid or zinc deficiency have been reported to be lessened with biotin, though people with these deficiencies should supplement with the nutrients in which they are deficient. Researchers have speculated that biotin and alpha lipoic acid may compete with each other for absorption or uptake into cells; but little is known about the importance of these interactions in humans.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:43 PM

I hear what your saying Kaddy. What concerned me about the study on pregnant women (women who are eating for TWO) was that they were taking 300mcg (well above the 30mcg RDA) and still had excess. With the women who had brittle nails, they started them out at 2.5 mg, but how do they know that 1 mg wouldn't work or 500 mcg or so on? ya know? I just don't want women out there wasting money on supplements they don't need.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 PM

I hear ya Neen. I guess we know it is beneficial, just not how much TRULY is. This is probably the best info I found so far:

Quote:
Biotin (B7)
Also referred to as "Vitamin H", promotes hair growth. Biotin is a common and important ingredient in hair products because it promotes hair health. Biotin is needed for healthy hair and skin and may even prevent hair loss. Biotin-increases the elasticity of the hair's cortex preventing breakage. It also thickenss the actual hair cuticle providing a fuller appearance because of the increased diameter of the hair shaft.
Source: http://www.add-hair.com/hair-vitamins.htm
Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Plus you have to look at those sources. They're trying to sell a product: vitamins/supplements.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Thanked 6,350 Times in 2,291 Posts
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 97 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAddy

Damn...where can I get 100mg a day though?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I've read that it's good for hair thinning and hair loss.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 PM

Thanked 11,959 Times in 2,317 Posts
Mentioned: 530 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

Something that i've read while doing research for these vitamins is that they go specifically to the place where you body needs it the most. So while you wont see results in the area you wanted to see it in, if your body thinks you're deficient in the nails or skin, it might utilize more of the vitamin or mineral there.
I started using Biotin, MSM and Silica in the middle of december, and I haven't seen any effects at all in my hair.
But, i am noticing that my skin is ooo so much clearer, and my eczema's getting better too. So maybe with all these supplements i'm taking, i get no hair growth at all, cuz my biotin's helping my skin instead. (oh yea, my nails are growing pretty quickly too)...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ladies,

I think that you also have to consider (unless you're in a tropical climate) that hair growth slows in the winter. From what I can see, it slows significantly. I take my biotin alont with other vits Silica, Ultra Nourish Hair, MSM, Flaxseed, Evening Primrose, and Daily - I can also tell that some of it gets flushed out in my urine. BUT I saw a significant increase in my hair length at the end of summer early fall. Now, I can't say that I see the same thing. It's got to be the Winter factor

Cold as H*** in MI
Style: Pressed

http://public.fotki.com/tlmack/
(password: LHCF)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 PM
FearfullyWonderfullyMade

Thanked 14,781 Times in 3,078 Posts
Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)

I never thought biotin made hair grow faster either. It's just a vitamin that makes your hair strands grow in thicker.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmack
Ladies,

I think that you also have to consider (unless you're in a tropical climate) that hair growth slows in the winter. From what I can see, it slows significantly. I take my biotin alont with other vits Silica, Ultra Nourish Hair, MSM, Flaxseed, Evening Primrose, and Daily - I can also tell that some of it gets flushed out in my urine. BUT I saw a significant increase in my hair length at the end of summer early fall. Now, I can't say that I see the same thing. It's got to be the Winter factor

Cold as H*** in MI

I agree, I don't have nearly as much growth as I did in the spring and summer.

Last edited by Tene; 01-13-2005 at 12:50 AM.