Any natural not cutting off thier ssknots and retaining length

Zay-neey

These single strand knots make me want a trim, even if i dont need one which of course will equal no retention.

Anyone not cutting them off?

pookaloo83

I don't cut mine. I just trim the ends of my twists and that's it. I don't have time to search for them and all that mess anymore. I just came to the conclusion that they will always be there.

DaiseeDay

I don't cut them off. I've only gotten one trim since I've been natural (7 months) and I'm right on target with my retention.

mEmYSELFaNDj

I haven't trimmed my hair since Dec 2008. And I've retained a ton since then and I do get ssk's.

However, I don't have any shears, if I did I would cut them especially since they'll end up breaking off anyways. If you're just cutting the knots off that shouldn't effect your length I mean unless you get a ton of ssk's and they are all inches above the ends of your hair.

LuvlyRain3

Bumping... I want to reduce my ssks but if I can retain a good amount of length without cutting and worrying about them then that would be great.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
To be honest, I don't even look for them. When I do see them, I cut them, but in my 4 ish months being natural, I've cut maybeee... 5 hairs? Like I said, I don't really make it a point to look for them. I feel my hair is doing okay :)

MsLizziA

I dont cut mine... i only get a trim maybe 2 or 3 times a year? But everytime i get a trim my stylist tells me it wasn't that bad so .. eh ~shrug life~ i don't stress myself so much anymore.. i just let them be

lovegymnasts

nope, I don't
I may cut an odd one here or there for no reason what so ever but in general, I don't touch them.
They will always be there and they do not negatively impact my hair.

ms.blue

I normally just leave them but occassion I do cut them (more like pull them). As long my hair doesn't tangle at the ends, I'm cool w/ them.

Saga

The Generous Queen
No, because I can cut my ends/hair, then a few days later I'll get ssk's again. I know I'd probably be APL had it not been for all the unnecessary cutting I've done. No more cutting for me, unless its some legitimate damage.

Sianna

Every once in a while I'll bother with them, but for the most part, :nono:

Secretly I'm hoping the SSK's will halt the progression of split ends! :look:

tricie

Great thread, I was just asking about these pesky things. I am on the fence because every now and then I get some that are a few inches up the strand.

greenandchic

I never do search & destroy missions on SSKs. I just trim once or twice a year.

Up until last year, I didn't even knot what a SSK was.

empressri

I get a few which is inevitable, and of course inevitably when I'm NOT near my scissors! I bite the suckers off, yes I do.

lilyofthenile

I leave them alone especially if they're high up the hair strand. I'd loose so much length if I went to chase all the SSK's. If they're towards the ends, I'll cut them, but only when I'm due to a trim or 'dust'.

But I haven't had any retention problems with them.

Curlykale

I only cut split ends (I only got them twice in 1 year thanks to clay treatments and protein overload). No problem at all. 1 dusting and 1 search and destroy in 1 year and my hair is perfect condition: no need to trim all the time.

I find that I got the most ssk when I was shoulder length, but then again, after that I started wearing braidouts, moisturizing daily and using ceramide oils. Before that, I used to co-wash and wear wash and go's with gel everyday, and I had almost 1 knot per strand, so maybe it was the different routine and the hair constantly touching my shoulders.

Last edited:

PinkGirlFluff

I just give my ssk's the finger. It's when two hairs come together and make unsweet non passionate loathing while I'm thinking it's all gravy. Thank I get my finger comb on and BAM! There they are joined at the mid srands. OHHH the HORRORRR! SpicyEve talks about these suckers in one of her videos.

tiffjust2002

I get them a lot and I don't cut them, they break off anyway and mine are always at the last half inch of my hair strand so no biggie. I have been retaining length since I started growing my A line bob out. They are annoying though I hate them! Sometimes when I get frustrated I pull them or rip I should say off I'm so bad :(

Crystalicequeen123

Personally, I think SSK's are just a fact of having naturally coily hair. It's basically inevitable. *shrug*

I don't obsess over them, and I only trim once or twice a year. :look: I mean, our hair isn't naturally straight, so it's almost inevitable that the hair will want to curl and coil around itself and tangle. I've seen plenty of 4b naturals however able to retain length even with SSKs'.

Aviah

I used to not cut and my ends were terrible. Now I dust about every 8 weeks- and am retaining length really well. Flat ironing more often also helps.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I will stop obsessing over them after reading this thread. I get them, but I am always aimlessly picking through my hair though....I am going to utilize more pre-pooing, oil rinses, and heavy sealing to combat them. Also, moisturizing and sealing more often might alleviate them some...I might go through today and do a Search and Destroy though, before doing my pre-poo.

I also like wearing my hair out ALL THE TIME! Fros and the like...:spinning:

Last edited: