Bentonite Clay: I Need Some Answers

d-rock

Hi ladies,

I read on someone's Fotki that they were using Bentonite Clay as a deep conditioner. Ok what is Bentonite Clay and is anyone else using it? I tried googling it and I could not find any information that helped. Is anyone here using this clay as a deep condish and if so, how do you like it?!?!?!

Thanks.

LynnieB

It good because it absorbs oils and some dirt and build up without stripping your hair.

kitty litter is made from bentonite clay.

there's also minerals in it that are supposedly beneficial to your scalp and hair.

naturalgurl

I use it. I was first turned on to it as a facial. It works wonders as a facial. I tried it in my hair for the first time last month and I must say, it's nice. This is the info I have posted in my fotki...

Bentonite is very unusual in the fact that once it becomes hydrated, the electrical and molecular components of the clay rapidly change and produce an "electrical charge". Its highest power lies in the ability to absorb toxins, impurities, heavy metals and other internal contaminants. Bentonite clay's structure assists it in attracting and soaking up poisons on its exterior wall and then slowly draw them into the interior center of the clay where it is held in a sort of repository.
To state it another way…
"Bentonite is a swelling clay. When it becomes mixed with water it rapidly swells open like a highly porous sponge. From here the toxins are drawn into the sponge through electrical attraction and once there, they are bound.

me-T

Its highest power lies in the ability to absorb toxins, impurities, heavy metals and other internal contaminants.

sounds like you could chelate with it huh?
i saw in another fotki that she used it with coconut milk as a dc.

Forever in Bloom

Where can we purchase it?

I got mine at Wild Oats (now Whole Foods), a 16 oz jar of "100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay" called Indian Healing Clay. Lovely on the scalp, even lovelier on the skin :yep: It practically sucks all the junk out of your skin. My skin throbs during the process because it has a tightening effect as it dries, and is kinda red for 5-7 minutes after I wash it off. It really gives your face a workout!

mj11051

I use it as a cleanser instead of shampoo. I mix mine with Organic Spinach powder and I use marshmallow root tea as my liquid. Makes my curls pop and sing like crazy. I only need to use a leave in after using it.

discobiscuits

I'm afraid to try it because of what I've read it absorbs (oil, water, etc) and is used in cat litter, cement and adhesives.

I've read where people use it for internal cleansing - aka colon cleansing.

I'm scared to use it on my hair.

Last edited:

misschee

i bought mine at a health food store. and had only used it as a facial until the other day when i decided to put it on my hair and see what happened. i found that i had a lot less tangles/knots and my hair was softer (even after drying a lil bit which is usually when it gets dry and frizzy) but i didnt know if i should do anything special to it. :perplexed when i did my facials with it i mixed with water when i did my hair i used acv. i wonder if there is a difference? next time i do my facial i'll use vinegar instead of water to see if there is a difference.

me-T

so would it make a good "moisturizing" shampoo? thoroughly cleans/chelates and softens? and how would you thoroughly wash it out?

Last edited:

ChocoKitty

I've used it as a "scalp detox". I used ACV and added a bit of castor oil to prevent dryness. I purchased Aztec Indian Healing Clay and Braggs ACV from the Vitamin Shoppe.

BlackGeisha

I use the Aztec Healing Clay from Whole Foods on my skin as a facial, it really cleared up my acne. I never thought about using it in my hair. It has many different uses you can even drink. I tried to drink it, not a good idea. :(

It comes in powder form and you mix it with water to form a mixture with a toothpaste like consistency. You can make it thicker or thinner it depends on how much water you add.

Here's some more info...

Bentonite Clay can absorb any toxic substances imaginable: impurities, harmful bacteria, poisons, pesticides, pathogens, parasites, etc. It does this without posing any nasty side effects in us, because as mentioned before, it can't be absorbed by us.

Bentonite can also be used externally, to treat skin problems and for detox baths. Some people have used Bentonite Clay to treat skin rashes with a lot of success. If you have skin eruptions such as acne, you should try applying Bentonite Clay on your skin, as it does a tremendous job of extracting/removing all the toxic matter buried inside your skin.

Bentonite can also be used in a detox bath, where we apply the Bentonite Clay around our body. It helps releases toxins out of our body, and it is a great routine to practice during colon cleansing.

Its very affordable I paid $6 or $7 for a large 1lb jar. A little goes a long way, I use it everyday and I still have plenty. I think my jar will last me a year!

Last edited:

sareca

I've add a cup to my bath water, but I haven't tried it on my hair. Next time I'm in the bath I'll give it a shot. :yep:

Last edited:

ajargon02

I love my Aztec Indian Healing Clay (aka Benzonite clay) I too got it from Whole Foods for about $6. It's not at all "moisturizing" in my opinion. I see it as a gentle cleanser/chelating clay and only use it in my hair 4-6 times per year. I also use it for facials, and yes while it does tighten, it does WONDERS for the look/feel of my skin. My hair is left soft, but for me, I do need to use conditioner afterward. My hair is more "fluffy" less defined after the clay and fluffy like a cloud. I really like it.

*Muffin*

I don't use it as a DC. I use it more like a clarifier. Bentonite clay is volcanic ash and it draws impurities out of skin, which leads me to believe it clarifies hair. I use it once a month, applying the paste to dry hair and leaving it on for about thirty minutes. Then I shampoo and conditioner wash it out and my hair feels so soft afterward. Then I proceed with DC'ing my hair. Bublnbrnshuga is the one who turned me on to Bentonite Clay. Yet another reason why I will miss her :yep:.

nakialovesshoes

I don't use it as a DC. I use it more like a clarifier. Bentonite clay is volcanic ash and it draws impurities out of skin, which leads me to believe it clarifies hair. I use it once a month, applying the paste to dry hair and leaving it on for about thirty minutes. Then I shampoo and conditioner wash it out and my hair feels so soft afterward. Then I proceed with DC'ing my hair. Bublnbrnshuga is the one who turned me on to Bentonite Clay. Yet another reason why I will miss her :yep:.

I know I'm probably late but where is she going?

I use Bentonite Clay to clarify my hair about once a month to 6 weeks. I mix with warm water, and sometimes add a little coconut oil. I add it to wet, detangled (co-washed) hair, and let it sit for about 15 minutes MAX. I focus the application on the scalp and THEN the length of the hair. I do NOT let the clay mixture dry on my hair, as that would be a disaster during the rinse out.

After I fully rinse, I follow with a little elucence MBC, rinse and have perfectly soft hair that I can wear naked and go.

Here's a link to my process in my fotki:

http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/1st-challenge-of-th/bcback.html

http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/1st-challenge-of-th/

Auburn

I use Bentonite Clay to clarify my hair about once a month to 6 weeks. I mix with warm water, and sometimes add a little coconut oil. I add it to wet, detangled (co-washed) hair, and let it sit for about 15 minutes MAX. I focus the application on the scalp and THEN the length of the hair. I do NOT let the clay mixture dry on my hair, as that would be a disaster during the rinse out.

After I fully rinse, I follow with a little elucence MBC, rinse and have perfectly soft hair that I can wear naked and go.

Are you saying you cowash first? if so, wouldnt the clay just strip that off?
Youre hair is glorious btw. Thank you for the links.

zzirvingj

I had been wondering about the clay off and on after seeing your pics/info about it in your fotki months ago :yep:

I think I may purchase some (maybe even today)...I am very curious about this stuff!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How often should you do this? You guys are totally amazing! I'm learning so much good stuff. This site is addictive.:yep: