Bentonite Clay= help dry hair

flower

Hello Ladies,

I have bee using bentonite clay and after each application my hair is dry. What can I do?

My mixture is= b.c., acv, marshmallow root power.

jamaraa

I would stop using clay at all. Clay is used to draw out moisture traditionally, so if your hair is already dry, why use it at all? Adding things to it might lessen the drying effects, but it won't kill off all the drying properties that's inherent in clays.

msa

First, I only mix it with water. Acv is not something I would use on my hair unless it's extremely diluted. The clay is great with acv when used on the face.

Second, bentonite is a clarifier so if your hair doesn't need to be clarified you're just over stripping it. I only use it maybe once a month.

Third, my conditioner always works better after using it and my hair ends up super moisturized so make sure you follow it with a good conditioner.

flower

thanks ladies. I really dont have a conditioner since I try to use only natural products, so my conditioner is homemade mayo.

msa

thanks ladies. I really dont have a conditioner since I try to use only natural products, so my conditioner is homemade mayo.

You should look into doing the caramel treatment...there's a long thread on it here, search "yum caramel". It uses all food stuff.

Also, you can mix up some coconut oil, evoo, and honey for a moisturizing conditioner.

And if you want a "natural" store bought conditioner, Aubrey Organics White Camellia is amazing.

suburbanbushbabe

Add some oil to it and some honey or yogurt. No ACV or just a tsp. And most importantly make sure you are rinsing it all out. Dunk your head in the sink if necessary to loosen it all. Then condition after the clay treatment.

MJ

First, I only mix it with water. Acv is not something I would use on my hair unless it's extremely diluted. The clay is great with acv when used on the face.

Second, bentonite is a clarifier so if your hair doesn't need to be clarified you're just over stripping it. I only use it maybe once a month.

Third, my conditioner always works better after using it and my hair ends up super moisturized so make sure you follow it with a good conditioner.

ITA. I only mix it with water and use it as a "deep cleanser."

vkb247

I used a b.c. that had glycerin in it and it was never drying to my hair. Bananas and avocados are great moisturizers but make sure you blend well before using or use baby food. Gerber has organic bananas in nice little containers that I reuse to freeze my caramel treatments.