Bentonite Clay.

Inspiired

Has any used and/or still use bentonite clay?

I just got some from prettycurls.com

I'm looking to mix it with aloe vera and use it as a natural cleanser.

My hair is currently twisted but I'll probably take them out this weekend and try the bentonite clay:

Last edited:

melissa-bee

I have used it in the past. It works really well. I could have build up of oils and shea butter but it's like the clay dissolves all of that away because once I rinse it out there is no residue of them at all. My hair feels clean and not stripped.
I stopped using it though because the process is just long for me.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I only used it once or twice, and it seemed to really clean my hair. However, my bathtub looked a mess! I had to scrub forever to get the brown marks off. The clay also clogged my apartment's drain. :lol: I can't mess with Bentonite unless it's in a shampoo bar now.

Last edited:

Zaz

Same here, I used it once or twice but like henna, it's too much of a pain, I honestly can't even remember how it felt on my hair. I bought it mostly for face masks, it's great for blemishes and to keep my skin clear.

hair_rehab

I have used it several times for my hair and skin, but I agree that the process is messy and time consuming. I mix it with apple cider vinegar and aloe vera gel and leave it on for 15-20 min. under a plastic bag. I love how it makes my curls pop after I rinse it out and I make sure to follow up with a good mositurizing deep conditioner.

manter26

I've used it on my hair and face. I just picked up the Indian Clay from Whole Foods (I think 1 lbs is about $5). My hair felt good after the first time I did it. I mix with just ACV and water. It does make a mess when rinsing...but it's a much easier process than henna. IDK if I'd repurchase after this. I want to try the Mud Wash.

The face mask is the weirdest sensation ever. I used the same mix, ACV and water. As it dries your skin starts to pulsate. The mask gets hard as a rock. I felt like one of those Terracotta Warriors. :lol: Left my skin feeling really nice and smooth but didn't really battle the imperfections.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Same here, I used it once or twice but like henna, it's too much of a pain, I honestly can't even remember how it felt on my hair. I bought it mostly for face masks, it's great for blemishes and to keep my skin clear.

Duh Nelle! I forgot to say that I mainly use it as a facial mask now. I still have the 1lb tub I purchased 2 years ago (Aztec Indian Bentonite Clay).

IrrationalThoughts

I am going to clarify with it tomorrow so I can dye my hair. It makes my coils pop and my hair acts right, which it is not doing right now. I hope it doesn't clog the drain. I wonder what I can put in the drain to keep it c lear

whatshername

I agree with what most everybody has been saying. I buy the Aztec Secret brand (1lb is under $7) but have only used it once for my hair. It did leave my hair really soft and clean, but it was very messy. The next time I tried to use it for my hair, I got really impatient and just washed it off before fully applying it. Now I just use it on my face (love the results) but even the amount used for my face tends to be a mess if I wash it off in the shower.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I have the Aztec brand also. Used it on my hair once, and really loved the results, soft, clean, popping curls! I'm just lazy, so I have only done it once.

Used it on my face, a few times, my face got warm, and pulsed. I put on SO, he started to get scared and thought I was trying to kill him or something :lachen: I need to start using again, just lazy... :ohwell:

Inspiired

drmuffin said:
Well I love bentonite! I have some in my hair right now. It's not too much of a hassle for me, especially considering all the benefits. I normally mix it with coconut milk, but now in this mix I added honey. I always DC and steam after.

I absolutely love it! I'll be posting a review soon :)

-- http://www.twitter.com/bootyfurl

PureSilver

I've used Bentonite Clay on my face several times and i love the results each time....clean soft and more radiant skin. I will have to order a big jar from amazon. And what is it i hear you ladies commenting that it makes your curls pop? That i would love to experience.

I also read that the calcium form of BC may be taken internally. Has anyone every tried this and what were your results. I would love to incorporate this into my cleansing regimen so comments on ingestng internally will be welcomed. TIA!

AJellyCake

This thread was really helpful. I tried bentonite clay on my hair for the first time last night. I used the Aztec Secret Indian one. I mixed my clay with whole fat yogurt (someone in one of the clay threads recommended this), and I mixed it so that the mixture was thick, but not claylike. It was kind of like a stiffer brownie mixture. I also added sunflower and grapeseed oil for extra moisture.

I applied the clay in sections (making sure I got it on my scalp), and then put a plastic bag on my head so the clay wouldn't dry. After 30 minutes, I rinsed it out. It rinsed out very easily!! Really! It didn't stain my tub, and the water alone was enough for it to rinse out (I didn't have to agitate the curls, scrub, or anything). I think the trick for rinsing it our more easily is to not have the mixture be very stiff or actually like clay.

My hair was feeling so gunky before, but the clay left my curls very clean without being stripped. My hair was soft, and my curls were defined and clumping better. I did DC after.

I'll have to do this more often!

Inspiired

AJellyCake said:
This thread was really helpful. I tried bentonite clay on my hair for the first time last night. I used the Aztec Secret Indian one. I mixed my clay with whole fat yogurt (someone in one of the clay threads recommended this), and I mixed it so that the mixture was thick, but not claylike. It was kind of like a stiffer brownie mixture. I also added sunflower and grapeseed oil for extra moisture.

I applied the clay in sections (making sure I got it on my scalp), and then put a plastic bag on my head so the clay wouldn't dry. After 30 minutes, I rinsed it out. It rinsed out very easily!! Really! It didn't stain my tub, and the water alone was enough for it to rinse out (I didn't have to agitate the curls, scrub, or anything). I think the trick for rinsing it our more easily is to not have the mixture be very stiff or actually like clay.

My hair was feeling so gunky before, but the clay left my curls very clean without being stripped. My hair was soft, and my curls were defined and clumping better. I did DC after.

I'll have to do this more often!

I'm glad this thread was of help to you! Bentonite Clay is truly amazing,

---- Because You're Worth It ;)
Pretty please vote for me for BGLH Icon of the Year :) http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/12/vote-for-the-2012-bglh-style-icon-of-the-year/ Also please read some more previous posts: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=591027 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=622227 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=656937 Length at October:
Jennifer :D www.bootyfurl.co.uk

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Cloggin drains?! How thick ya'll makin it? I use the SM Purification masque which has a lot of bentonite. I add extra bentonite when I need to really cleanse my scalp. Its the consistency of yogurt.

Maybe making it like yogurt thick or a little thinner might help keep those drains clear? You can also make it kinda runny, comb thru, squeeze out extra and put a cap on it. You dont need THAT much for it to work, really. Less is more.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
AJellyCake I got my Rhassoul from Ayurnaturalbeauty.com but I haven't bought any since Ekua left as explained in the thread below. I can't say how the quality and customer service are now. I still have some from my last haul, but when I run out I may order from them again. The clay can be found under the spa section of the website.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=643407

ETA:

I mix it with warm water and a tablespoon of whatever oil I have on hand (vatika, grapeseed, or olive).

Last edited:

A856

Bumping again....

I bought the clay, aloe Vera juice and I have tons of oils.....but know what do I do??

Any mixing recipes??

ETA: per the instructions....use a metal mixing bowl. Do I have to?? I don't have a metal bowl:look:

Last edited:

bellebebe

When I want extra moisture in my hair, I mix this with ACV, EVOO, & a bit of water. I apply it like a relaxer, & I let it sit for 15- 20mn. Then, I do a deep condish under the dryer. My hair gets sooo soft. I don't have a regular routine witb this... I only use it when I need that extra boost.

Sent from my sexy phone.