Bentonite Clay/Henna Question...

clarity2008

I am doing a henna treatment to my hair tonight. It's currently a dark brown but I got henna in black. Because bentonite clay sort of swells and absorbs the "gunk" out of your hair, would it be counterproductive to do a bentonite clay treatment a week after doing a henna treatment? Will it absorb the color? I probably should have done the bentonite clay first but I forgot that I just bought some and I really wanna try it out. TIA ladies!

MCMLXXII

Great question. I love Bentonite clay too.

This blurb doesn't directly answer your question but if you follow the premise that once Henna has bonded to the hair shaft, it's almost impossible for anything to penetrate it...you may be fine to cleanse your hair with Bentonite clay after a Henna treatment.

Q. Why can't I perm my hair after treating it with henna?

A. It's all thanks to how henna works. Henna, when applied to the hair, bonds it's tannins to the keratin of the hair follicles on a molecular level. Once bonded, the fiber of the hair is strong, durable and glossy. That's why some people claim it can make split ends disappear. It actually binds with the hair shaft, repairing it. With a protective coating of henna on the hair shaft, it's almost impossible for anything to penetrate it, even chemicals. So, please think carefully before dyeing your hair with henna.

More: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Henna-Your-Hair

HTH