Nervous about trying a Bentonite Clay Mask?

mg1979

I'm wanting to do a bentonite clay mask this weekend, but I'm a little intimidated! I was interested in trying Scalpure for my scalp and posted a thread asking if anyone tried it. PompusBlue & Muse mentioned trying a bentonite clay mask and that bentonite clay is in Scalpure. So I bought some at a local store and watched some videos, and I'm a little nervous. I read it clarifies the hair and could cause dryness, and some people add oils to help. Since I'm prone to dryness, I could use some specific recipes for adding oils or other stuff, and testimonials from those who've tried bentonite clay on dry hair.

SimJam

hmmmmm well i wudnnt say i have dry hair, but bentonite clay never makes my hair feel dry after using it In fact it just feels very clean and never stripped.

I just mix with water and then either co-wash or do a moisture DC after

Maybe you should do a patch test before using on your whole head.

and if u dont want to use on your hair, it makes an awesome facial mask :yep:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
GURRRRLLLL!!! Try it on a small section first.

I did this when I was natural and my hair was sooooooooo dry it was ridiculous. It really clarified my hair.

When I rinsed I was so panicked that I dam near used an entire bottle of conditioner to bring my hair back.

BlkOnyx488

I have been using Bentonite clay as my only cleanser on my hair for about 3 months now. I keep my hair in cornrows for a month at a time and when I take it down I just make my clay mix apply to my natural 4a/b hair like I would a relazer making sure I get each stand. Then I sit under the dryer until it hardens. I rinse it out in the shower only because I want my hair to rinse in it's natural direction. I love what it does for my hair. It feels clean and tangle free.

This last time I did a DC right after I will do that again my hair was so tangled it took me hours to untangle my crown.

Like everyone suggested do a test piece first.

Fhrizzball

I use to use it before I henna my hair and I mixed it with water, sometimes oil, acv, and a bit of conditioner. THe one for my face I didn't use conditioner and oil. It clarified alright but I made it too thick the first two times for was a tad hard to get out of my hair. I think Sera on youtube has a video where she does bentonite. Mine didn't strip my hair but if you feel it wil them perhaps prepoo/oil rinse and follow the clay with a DC.

EllePixie

My hair has never gotten dry with them, but I add honey and oils (any oil I have laying around really, I've used a variety) in order to give it more moisture. This also makes it a better facial mask for me.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I made a bentonite "whip" for my hair. I used some leftover Jane Carter leave in, a little acv and distilled water, plus a few pumps each of JBCO and 100% argan oil. mixed in blender til pancake batter thickness.

The trick is not to let the mix dry on your hair. Add it and let it set for 20 to 30 mins under a plastic cap. Rinse then follow with your fav protein/moisture combo dc. Wait til after first dc with protein to detangle in depth. Light detangling is fine.

ETA: if you find bentonite too drying, consider using other types of clay such as white, green or rhassoul clay which are less harsh than bentonite.

Last edited:

jamaica68

I've never had a problem with bentonite and I let it dry on my hair. I usually add 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of honey and mix it with water. Deep condition afterwards if you're concerned about dryness.

mg1979

I may try a combination of everyone's suggestions the first try: patch test with a mixture of the clay with oils, water, honey, and/or condish under a plastic cap, rinse, and then dc. Thanks for the help!

ShaG

I bought some a few weeks ago. Hadn't used it until tonight (for a facial). After doing more research on it, I decided that the PH was too high to use in my hair. I can just imagine the dry, brittleness I may have experienced. But i see many people have very good results using it.

mg1979

I bought some a few weeks ago. Hadn't used it until tonight (for a facial). After doing more research on it, I decided that the PH was too high to use in my hair. I can just imagine the dry, brittleness I may have experienced. But i see many people have very good results using it.

The pH? Off to do some more research. Didn't really think about that. :perplexed I haven't studied up too much on pH.

LuvlyRain3

I think it depends on how you mix it. When I use bentonite clay I mix it with greek yogurt and jojoba oil