Who can roller set and wrap?

kking7777

I usually roller set my hair and once dry I flat iron it and then wrap it for the night, but it would be a dream come true to be able to roller set my hair and then wrap it and get the same straight results. So my question is.... Can anyone rollerset and wrap their hair without a flat iron or curling iron and get really straight hair??

candibaby

I can.. usually up until I'm about 7 weeks post relaxer. All I put on my hair is a leave-in, then I roll it, once its dry, I take them out, wrap it, cover my hair in a wrap cap and leave it that way until I wake up in the morning. (my hair doesnt end up really straight, it still has bounce to it)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I can. I never use a flat iron. I've only used a flat iron probably less than 10 days out of my whole life. My hair can easily straighten after a rollerwrap because my hair doesnt hold a curl unless I use smaller rollers.

antrunette

I roller set then flat iron also. I do it so that I can loosen the curl. I like the ends curly and the rest straight!

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
shellzfoshizzle said:
why do you roll your hair (for curl/body?) then straightening it? I don't understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Roller setting, for some, is a means of drying the hair, without applying direct heat. It also gives the hair a lot of body.

Now, back to the question, I only do roller sets on my hair, but I have to blow my roots, because my hair is uber-thick. However, I have friends who can do a wrap directly after a roller set and it comes out pretty nice. It's not as straight as if the roots were blown out, but it's still quite sleek and bouncy.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
shellzfoshizzle said:
why do you roll your hair (for curl/body?) then straightening it? I don't understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

I also wonder this...wouldn't the flat iron mess up the style of your hair??? Would some parts be curlier than others unless you're a perfect flat-ironer??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

blkmaryland

I always wrap when I rollerset. I put a little oil on my hair before I wrap it. I wrap it in a silk scarf and wake up in the morning to straight hair with body.

myco

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
[ QUOTE ]
shellzfoshizzle said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Roller setting, for some, is a means of drying the hair, without applying direct heat. It also gives the hair a lot of body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also find that my hair is a lot smoother and shinier if I rollerset it before doing anything else. I sometimes flat iron my roots to take some of the "bouffant" out of the hair. That way it will be full on the ends but not so big around my head.

But usually for the first couple of weeks after a relaxer, it's not necessary.

Allandra

I can. I've done it several times in the past, but it is some serious work. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Huggette

i rollerset and then wrap my hair w/out flat ironing.

if you apply the proper tension and use the correct size roller when you set your hair you shouldn't have to flat iron.

after i take the rollers out i apply oil and a little bit of moisturizer, wrap and sit under the dryer for 10-15 more minutes.

when get out it's straight but still with bounce to it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SoniT

I can roller wrap but I don't like for my hair to be too straight. I like for it to have a little bounce to it.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I can do it w/o using the flat iron. I think using larger rollers helps mine though, b/c I have a really loose curl when I take my hair out of rollers. My issue is that I can't wrap worth a darn, so it takes me awhile and takes alot of hair clips to keep my wrap in tact. Once I get the scarf in place I sit under the bonnet again for about 10 mins or so, then remove the pins before I lie down (scarf still in place). In the morning my hair is just as straight as w/the flat iron. When I have more new growth I run the comb attachment on my dryer thru my roots and about 1" up from the root. As the days go by my hair gets straighter and straighter.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
[ QUOTE ]
shellzfoshizzle said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I do it. My hair dries within about 30-35 minutes when I rollerset, but I dry it in a wrap or just straight, it'll take almost 2 hours.

DatJerseyDyme

I wish I could do it..but the last few times I've tried..my hair ended up being bushy. Thanks to some help from my hairbuddies (HI Bree and Candibaby!) I've realized that I may not have been using ENOUGH product before wrapping. Anywhoo..I've gotten a little discouraged about it, and just do 3 rollers at my crown instead of wrapping! (mohawk rollerset)

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
[ QUOTE ]
shellzfoshizzle said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, back to the question, I only do roller sets on my hair, but I have to blow my roots, because my hair is uber-thick. However, I have friends who can do a wrap directly after a roller set and it comes out pretty nice. It's not as straight as if the roots were blown out, but it's still quite sleek and bouncy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use roller setting (on the biggest rollers possible)mainly to airdry my hair because I don't use any heat. Because of the size of the rollers, I will not get curls (the bigger the roller, the straighter the hair). I still haven't learned to wrap yet so my roots will be puffy, especially with new growth. That's why I wear styles like braidouts where it doesn't matter as much.

As Webby said, roller setting gives LOTS of body. /images/graemlins/smile.gif