I am sitting under the dryer (roller set)...

texasqt

and I have a feeling this set isn't going to come out right. I am doing my first roller set with big rollers in hopes of having a nice looking wrap but as I am sitting here I can already tell my roots aren't going to be very straight. Any suggestion? I really don't want to have to use my flat iron...

texasqt said:
and I have a feeling this set isn't going to come out right. I am doing my first roller set with big rollers in hopes of having a nice looking wrap but as I am sitting here I can already tell my roots aren't going to be very straight. Any suggestion? I really don't want to have to use my flat iron...

Hey There! I am sitting under the dryer as we speak also. I know mines is not going to come out too good because I am so inexperienced so I KNOW I will be using my flat iron. Some things you can do:

Do the saran wrap method: Apply a tad bit of serum or oil and wrap your hair. Then apply saran wrap around the wrap. Sit under the dryer (with the saran wrap on for about 5-20 minutes. Take off saran wrap and apply your scarf. Leave your scarf on as long as possible so it can have time to straighten.

That's all I can think of besides wrapping your hair up immediatly and applying your scarf, and not unwrapping it until tommorrow.

I am willing to try anything to keep the heat off. I usually roller set with smaller rollers for a curlier style and today I decided to try the roller wrap method. I wonder can I make it in and out of the grocery without being noticed for some plastic wrap with these big grey and purple rollers ;-)

texasqt said:
I am willing to try anything to keep the heat off. I usually roller set with smaller rollers for a curlier style and today I decided to try the roller wrap method. I wonder can I make it in and out of the grocery without being noticed for some plastic wrap with these big grey and purple rollers ;-)

:lachen: Girl go to your local ghetto corner store. They won't even notice any difference.

Funny! Thanks for the info and keep ya' fingers crossed for me. Are you doing a similar roller wrap style?

Yeah I'm doing a rollerwrap with the purple rollers. But I am going ot use my flat iron afterwards.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Do you or anyone else know about the blow out I keep reading about? Is it just a matter of blowing drying the roots and that's all? Should anything be applied to the hair first? Same for flat ironing - do you just go for it or add something first?

I'm also sitting under the dryer as we speak! I am going to try the rollerwrap and hopefully then I won't have to use my flatiron but since I'm natural and pretty new to rollersetting I probably will. :/

texasqt said:
Do you or anyone else know about the blow out I keep reading about? Is it just a matter of blowing drying the roots and that's all? Should anything be applied to the hair first? Same for flat ironing - do you just go for it or add something first?

Just put a little heat protectant serum (like the IC Fantasia Straightening Serum in the pink container) and then blow out or flat iron the roots.

I used the IC Fantasia Straightening Serum. I like it. I also did have to flatirion my roots after the rollerwrap. However, this second attempt was way better than the first. My roots weren't nearly as puffy. I love rollersetting!

When I flatironed my roots, this time I didn't add anything else since I had used a moisturizer that was a heat protectant prior to flatironing.

Trying to blow dry my roots was a big mistake so I HAD to flat iron my entire head. I'm going to try again tomorrow so if any one can offer any other advice that'll be great. I'm going to try the serum and the plastic wrap this time (couldn't make myself go to the store looking the way I was)...

Did you pull the hair taut around the roller?

After a rollerset, my roots have that dent in them from the roller.... so I have the Dominicans blow out the roots ONLY. Perhaps you could try that.... they really do focus the heat only on the root, not the rest of the hair, and its for a very brief time. It straights the roots right on out....

Using the blow dryer straightened the roots and the rest of my hair which wasn't a pretty sight at all. I'm in Texas and have never heard of the dominican blow out before I joined here. It was cute before I tried fooling around with the roots. Practice makes perfect so I'll be trying again this evening...

Back