Thin/Fine Support Thread

Aggie

I just relaxed my hair yesterday and I think I need to go back to my extension cornrows for a minute. It actually helped my tresses thicken up a bit in 2004 even though the cornrows were only in for about 2 and a half months. Before that I had my hair naturally cornrowed and was wearing wigs for several months, possibly a year. My hair sprung like crazy. Now I think it's time to go back to the kind of protective styling that was working so well for me.

Now because my relaxed hair is so fresh, I'll have to work with the natural cornrows and wigs for the initial 2 weeks, then move on to extension cornrows for about 5 weeks at a time, wait 2 weeks, then relax. I'll repeat this in time for Christmas.

Last edited:

Mena

I want to relax my hair but my I am afraid my hair won't look as full and thick as when it is pressed.

Aggie

I want to relax my hair but my I am afraid my hair won't look as full and thick as when it is pressed.

Then maybe you should texlax it instead. It will be soft but not bone straight and not tightly curled either. It almost looks like texturized hair, kinda like Sareca's hair.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
my hair is breakin off on my edges ....i guess to much manipulation :(
It'll be okay :yep: :bighug:

When my ends were breaking off, first I cried :cry:. Then I cut them and kept sealing them with Castor Oil. And kept my hair in a loose bun. It worked. :yep:

The new thing many of the ladies here have started is the "KF Solution" - I call it the "Kiya Fizzie". I named it after the member who discovered this solution by accident ("JustKiya") who also shared the thread with us. ;).

Add a little Sea Salt to your favorite hair conditioner. Apply to your hair, cover with a plastic cap for about an hour. Rinse out and air dry. You will Love :love: your hair ends. There's something about this treatment that mends the ends. It just works, is all I can say. :yep:

Here's the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381

Happy Hair Blessings to you... :happydance:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
just an update went to the salon sat got a roller set gonna be rocking that until it falls lol, then gonna wash and braid and wear wigs as my protective styles until i return to the salon, any fine haired ladies use wigs as protective styles ever??
I bet your rollerset is pretty :yep: Rock and Roll Angel and enjoy your pretty hair, wig or no wig. :yep:

Wigs are too hot for me to wear....:lol: I have 'issues' with them; but then I also have issues with pantyhose; they 'fight' me when I put them on. :catfight: :lol:

But if a wig works for you, go for it. I have several friends with thin and thick hair who wear them often to get by with braids at work, church and other occasions while they protect their hair growth, and they ROCK... you'd never know it was a wig. :woot:

Happy Hair Blessings.

DarkHair

just an update went to the salon sat got a roller set gonna be rocking that until it falls lol, then gonna wash and braid and wear wigs as my protective styles until i return to the salon, any fine haired ladies use wigs as protective styles ever??

I plan to go to the salon this friday for my touch-up. When the new growth starts going haywire, I plan to wear my half-wigs. This really helps me to keep heat and manipulation off my hair.

Aggie

I plan to go to the salon this friday for my touch-up. When the new growth starts going haywire, I plan to wear my half-wigs. This really helps me to keep heat and manipulation off my hair.

:yep:, Me too. I wear whole wigs and half wigs often as my protective style. I wear them more than any other protective style because they are so easy to do. I simply cornrow my own hair down and put my wig on daily. I wash and deep condition as needed. Then I'm back to my wigs.

DarkHair

:yep:, Me too. I wear whole wigs and half wigs often as my protective style. I wear them more than any other protective style because they are so easy to do. I simply cornrow my own hair down and put my wig on daily. I wash and deep condition as needed. Then I'm back to my wigs.

I haven't started to cornrow my hair. I just leave it wrapped under the wig cap. I keep it moisturized. I need more hair :grin:.

DayStar

:nono:i wish i had coarser hair...i absolutely hate fine hair...snap crackle POP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DayStar

:nono:i wish i had coarser hair...i absolutely hate fine hair...snap crackle POP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetpuff

I feel like that too, ebonybelle, but it is just an incentive to leave them alone and to know when and how to manipulate them.
I usually co-wash them, then airdry with a clip gently placed on my hair. that way my ends are not rubbing my shoulders.
Then then they are 50-70% dry, I finger comb them and put them in a low bun. (a little phony pony could help to hide the ends)

I reduce the use of the elastic bands and when I do, it is over a baggy, that way, my hair rubs against itself or plastic. much less snap cracle pop.

I decided to opt for a relaxed style so there are some thing I will not do often. Maybe in the future, I will texlax the roots.

I always tell myself to work with what I got.
HTH

missnurselady

YOU HAVE KNOTS TOO????? I dont know where they come from. My hair is relaxed but when I air dry it turns into a big puff ball! :perplexed
Fine hair lady checkin in! I have to read all the posts, so far I've only read about 15 pages, but it's great to have you guys to help a sista out! My problem (ok, just one of them) is my crazy shedding, which I noticed was less when I used heat styling, and the KNOTS! I have no idea what to do to stop them.
But you guys give me hope that I can grow some beautiful hair even though it's fine and doesn't have much density. Thanks! :grin:

FluffyRed

I have been thinking that maybe apl should be my stopping point:ohwell:

Im thinking the same thing. And on your previous question, yes, I can tell my hair is in better condition when I balance protein/moisture every time i cowash and when I moisturize. My spray bottle is balanced.

Maybe that might help with the baggying excess-moisture problem?

Last edited:

B_sWife79

I can't believe I missed this thread too...also fine haired. Right now I'm experimenting a bit to find what works for me and curbs breaking ends

Aggie

I'm wearing my braids now and throughout the holidays. I was going to wear it corn-rowed until then but changed my mind. I will take my braids down in February, ie 8 weeks - all this in an attempt to get to thicker hair.

FluffyRed

Also, I've found for my fine/thin strands that a balance of moisture/protein helps my hair. I rarely have breakage. For instance, if I moisturize my hair daily or every other day I use a homemade sprizter for moisturizing. In my bottle is a moisturizing conditioner (usually Elucence), a mild protein conditioner (ususally MNT), distilled water, and a little oil (usually castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or sweet almond oil, but lately it's been mainly castor oil).

This is exactly what I've been doing. I think it works! 51

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Im thinking the same thing. And on your previous question, yes, I can tell my hair is in better condition when I balance protein/moisture every time i cowash and when I moisturize. My spray bottle is balanced.

Maybe that might help with the baggying over-moisture problem? 23

Hey choppy. I think the only way I would be able to go beyond apl and still have decent looking hair is if I did it with blunt ends. I don't think that our hair needs to be layered. I don't think its good for our hair.

ravenmerlita

Sebastian Colourshines made my hair feel and appear thicker but the thickness only lasted a couple of shampoos. I also use L'oreal Colorist Mahogany depositing color conditioner and it helps a little.

I don't think my hair is ever going to stop being fine and grow in thicker. Right now I'm relying on leave in products and treatments to give my hair more volume and help it appear thicker.

Aggie

your hair looks thick in your siggy

depository color helped give my hair the illusion of thickness

I believe this. I remember when I used to have my hair colored with semi-permanent rinses, my hair did appear thicker. I will be revisiting this aspect of my hair regimen when I remove my braids:yep:.

queen1908

Im a newbie and sooooo happy that I finally found this thread...my hair has always been fine but before highlights and lots of heat, there was alot of it...not anymore! I just decided to go w/o highlights and heat all together but IM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING WAYS TO MANIPULATE MY HAIR INTO CUTE STYLES!!!! I used to use alot of heat to curl or crimp my hair and it would appear really thick but the health was not there at all...now I want both but in the mean time while my hair tries to thicken back up, I have NOOOO way of knowing how to wear it...ponytails and curlformers is all I can think of! I cant wrap it or wear buns because my hair is too thin and i feel insecure...help ladies...what do you do to help your hair look full w/o alot of manipulation??? Please help!

Thanks
Queen1908

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Im a newbie and sooooo happy that I finally found this thread...my hair has always been fine but before highlights and lots of heat, there was alot of it...not anymore! I just decided to go w/o highlights and heat all together but IM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING WAYS TO MANIPULATE MY HAIR INTO CUTE STYLES!!!! I used to use alot of heat to curl or crimp my hair and it would appear really thick but the health was not there at all...now I want both but in the mean time while my hair tries to thicken back up, I have NOOOO way of knowing how to wear it...ponytails and curlformers is all I can think of! I cant wrap it or wear buns because my hair is too thin and i feel insecure...help ladies...what do you do to help your hair look full w/o alot of manipulation??? Please help!

Thanks
Queen1908

Welcome and Hang in there Queen1908! :wave:
First of all, start by reading this thread through. :yep:

I have the finest and thinnest hair around and I understand what you are going through.

Is your hair relaxed, natural or what "type" do you fall in? 3 or 4 a/b/c or do you know?

queen1908

Hey and Thanks!!! :) Hair type...i have NOOOO clue! I am biracial (black and white) and my hair doesnt require a relaxer, its just naturally straight, no curls or texture what so ever...how do i figure out my hair type?

Q

Aggie

Hey and Thanks!!! :) Hair type...i have NOOOO clue! I am biracial (black and white) and my hair doesnt require a relaxer, its just naturally straight, no curls or texture what so ever...how do i figure out my hair type?

Q
Hi Queen1908,

Log on to www.honeyfig.com. They have a section where you can check the various hair types out there, okay?

queen1908

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH...IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF BUT WITH NO LUCK...I WILL LOG IN NOW TO CHECK IT OUT AND HOPEFULLY BE ABLE TO DETERMINE MY HAIR TYPE...THANKS AGAIN GIRL!

Q

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

Q

Wen Cleansing Conditioner in Sweet Almond Mint would be great to help plump fine/thin strands. I also recommend Ovation Hair products.

queen1908

I finally figured out my hair type...im a 2a...i have light waves and its super fine! I will be reading this thread for real...the more I read, the more pjism i have....

I was reading about the Nexxus Mousse on the thread and I went to go get it a few minutes later...it is the truth though...it helped my hair a great deal...I was able to wear my curlformer set for 2 days instead of one...I pray I can eventually get to wear them for 3 days but im grateful I saw progress!

Thanks ladies for your encouragement! I will try WEN as soon as my hubby lets me buy more products...he "claims" I buy new produdcts everyday...I think not...lol! I will be free to get my pjism on 1/1/09!

I bought megatek but im scared as heck to use it...i dont think i know enough about protein/moisture balance yet...i dont know which products contain protein and which ones dont...i was scared because i had no idea that potion 9 had protein in it...i wish there was a sticky that tells newbies which products contain protein in it because im just so used to using doing whatever and getting no results!

Queen
Q

JDandBeyond

i wish there was a sticky that tells newbies which products contain protein in it because im just so used to using doing whatever and getting no results!

I have been thinking the SAME THING! We need a cheat sheet or something!

I am also a fine haired lady and new to the board. I have already gotten a lot of great advice (and purchased a lot of products). I think at this point I'm more concerned about thickness and health than length. I'm getting married next year and I would love a full head of hair (whatever length it may be) to walk down the aisle. Right now I'm a little past shoulder length and I am relaxed 6 weeks out. I usually go ever 6-8 weeks for a touch up but i'm going to try and hold out for 3 months to start and take it from there. I also plan to start taking some biotin and other B vitamins and I have been drinking tons of water (not just for the hair but for skin and just health improvement). Keep the advice coming!