An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

JustKiya

Okay.

A while ago, I was being lazy, and in a rush, so I figured I would clarify (with baking soda) and seal my cuticles (with citric acid) all at the same time. I mixed them both with conditioner, noticed the odd fact that there was some sort of reaction going on (because the conditioner foamed up and turned almost 'mousse' like), but my hair felt like butter afterwards. Ends were sleek and smooth, hair was strong and shiny and moist.

I ran it past some of the ladies on tLHC, and they pointed out that the combination of a base (baking soda) and an acid (citric acid) causes a chemical reaction that has salt, carbon dioxide, and water as the results.

I stopped doing it, because - well, salt is BAD for your hair, right? But, I always kept it in the back of my mind, because how my hair felt afterwards was nothing short of amazing.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and there was a thread on tLHC that got kinda heated, about another lady using a salt & bentonite clay mix on her hair, that left her hair SUPER soft and SUPER moist - and once again, the debate about the wisdom/safety of using salt on your hair came up - it was working, and working well - but - it just didn't seem to have any explanation as to why.

At the same point in time, my ends were ROUGH. Tore up from the floor up, hard, crunchy, frizzy, just generally being pissed off. I clarified - nothing. I used acidic washes - nothing. I triple DC'd just the ends - nothing. I was seriously almost to the point where I was going to have to pull out the scissors and trim, because my ends just felt NASTY.

So - I tried it again - the baking soda and citric acid mix - plus just a TINY bit of salt. It foamed. I put it in my hair. It tingled. I rinsed it out - and AS I was rinsing it out, I could feel the difference. My ends, before, as I pulled my fingers down, I could feel how the ends got 'rough' about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the end - now, nothing. My ends were just as smooth and as sleek as the rest of my hair - and it was SO moist. SUPER moist. I'm talking, I almost considered skipping my normal mid-week DC, because my hair felt luscious.

I DC'd last night - my usual mix (about 8-10oz, yeah, I use a LOT of conditioner), plus 1.5 teaspoons of salt. My hair didn't feel bad again - I was just curious to see how it would work on 'good' feeling hair (esp. since there was a thread yesterday where several ladies said they were going to try it) The conditioner - thickened - a little bit, but no foaming. I left it in my hair for about two hours, and it tingled a little, but nothing else. I rinsed it out last night - and.... okay ya'll. My hair, it's generally healthy. It feels good, but it rarely feels SILKY - that's just not how my hair rolls. Soft, yes. Silky, no.
My hair was silky. *strokes head* My hair is STILL silky, and the only thing I did after I rinsed the DC out was use a TINY bit of castor oil on my head, tie it up, and went to sleep.

I don't know HOW it works. I don't know WHY it works. I honestly don't know if it's a good idea to continue using it over the long term - but, it might be an experimental option for those of us with ends that seem to be crying out to be cut off for feeling rough, tangly, and generally difficult.

:look:

I'd suggest about 1 teaspoons of salt per 8 oz of conditioner - adjust if you use more or less conditioner.

And please, if you DO try it - will you let me know how it works? I'm very curious to see if you will get consistent results. So far, GODBLESS has used it, and had fabulous results.....

Any of the science sisters have any ideas as to WHY this works? The fact that you HAVE to use salinated water to rehydrate cells because 'plain' water won't work was brought up, as well as the fact that soaking meat (mostly protien) in salt water tenderizes and moistens it. GoldenBreeze happened to see a commercial conditioner that advertised that it contained salt, and she said that she would take a look at it again the next time she went to the store.......

:spinning: Wild, isn't it?

Lucky's Mom

Okay.

A while ago, I was being lazy, and in a rush, so I figured I would clarify (with baking soda) and seal my cuticles (with citric acid) all at the same time. I mixed them both with conditioner, noticed the odd fact that there was some sort of reaction going on (because the conditioner foamed up and turned almost 'mousse' like), but my hair felt like butter afterwards. Ends were sleek and smooth, hair was strong and shiny and moist.

I ran it past some of the ladies on tLHC, and they pointed out that the combination of a base (baking soda) and an acid (citric acid) causes a chemical reaction that has salt, carbon dioxide, and water as the results.

I stopped doing it, because - well, salt is BAD for your hair, right? But, I always kept it in the back of my mind, because how my hair felt afterwards was nothing short of amazing.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and there was a thread on tLHC that got kinda heated, about another lady using a salt & bentonite clay mix on her hair, that left her hair SUPER soft and SUPER moist - and once again, the debate about the wisdom/safety of using salt on your hair came up - it was working, and working well - but - it just didn't seem to have any explanation as to why.

At the same point in time, my ends were ROUGH. Tore up from the floor up, hard, crunchy, frizzy, just generally being pissed off. I clarified - nothing. I used acidic washes - nothing. I triple DC'd just the ends - nothing. I was seriously almost to the point where I was going to have to pull out the scissors and trim, because my ends just felt NASTY.

So - I tried it again - the baking soda and citric acid mix - plus just a TINY bit of salt. It foamed. I put it in my hair. It tingled. I rinsed it out - and AS I was rinsing it out, I could feel the difference. My ends, before, as I pulled my fingers down, I could feel how the ends got 'rough' about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the end - now, nothing. My ends were just as smooth and as sleek as the rest of my hair - and it was SO moist. SUPER moist. I'm talking, I almost considered skipping my normal mid-week DC, because my hair felt luscious.

I DC'd last night - my usual mix (about 8-10oz, yeah, I use a LOT of conditioner), plus 1.5 teaspoons of salt. My hair didn't feel bad again - I was just curious to see how it would work on 'good' feeling hair (esp. since there was a thread yesterday where several ladies said they were going to try it) The conditioner - thickened - a little bit, but no foaming. I left it in my hair for about two hours, and it tingled a little, but nothing else. I rinsed it out last night - and.... okay ya'll. My hair, it's generally healthy. It feels good, but it rarely feels SILKY - that's just not how my hair rolls. Soft, yes. Silky, no.
My hair was silky. *strokes head* My hair is STILL silky, and the only thing I did after I rinsed the DC out was use a TINY bit of castor oil on my head, tie it up, and went to sleep.

I don't know HOW it works. I don't know WHY it works. I honestly don't know if it's a good idea to continue using it over the long term - but, it might be an experimental option for those of us with ends that seem to be crying out to be cut off for feeling rough, tangly, and generally difficult.

:look:

I'd suggest about 1 teaspoons of salt per 8 oz of conditioner - adjust if you use more or less conditioner.

And please, if you DO try it - will you let me know how it works? I'm very curious to see if you will get consistent results. So far, GODBLESS has used it, and had fabulous results.....

Any of the science sisters have any ideas as to WHY this works? The fact that you HAVE to use salinated water to rehydrate cells because 'plain' water won't work was brought up, as well as the fact that soaking meat (mostly protien) in salt water tenderizes and moistens it. GoldenBreeze happened to see a commercial conditioner that advertised that it contained salt, and she said that she would take a look at it again the next time she went to the store.......

:spinning: Wild, isn't it?

It is! Thanks girlfreennnd!!!!

Subscribing...........:lick:

Nice & Wavy

I was planning to do a total wash, DC, etc. this weekend, but I think I'll try it tonight instead and use some salt and see what happens. I'll give you a report later on.

This sounds great though. I can't wait to see. Although my ends aren't rough and are in very good condition, I would still like to see how this would make my hair feel (I love silky:yep:)

ETA: I'm subscribing too!

ebaby

Well,
I dc'd overnight and I have yet to wash it ot. This morning I mixed a litle evoo, honey, and a little salt and applied it over my conditiner. I'll wash everything out in a little bit, and will let you know how my hair feels. Thanks for the tip!

JustKiya

I'm excited and CRAZY nervous at the same time. I've tried it three times, and haven't had anything at ALL to complain about (only stuff to cheer about, in fact!), but I'm still mildly freaked as I think this is the first 'really' experimental thing that I've presented to the board - and you know I'll hear it and hear it good if it doesn't work for someone. :sekret: :lachen:

Nice & Wavy

I'm excited and CRAZY nervous at the same time. I've tried it three times, and haven't had anything at ALL to complain about (only stuff to cheer about, in fact!), but I'm still mildly freaked as I think this is the first 'really' experimental thing that I've presented to the board -
and you know I'll hear it and hear it good if it doesn't work for someone
. :sekret: :lachen:

You ain't never lied:lachen:

rosie

Maybe this is the answer to my dds rough feeling hair.
I posted thread about it.

Her hair is soft, but the cuticle is rough.

poookie

hmm, interesting idea! i do notice that Sodium Chloride (table salt) is in many of the conditioners that make my hair feel delicious. i'll try this out, as today's wash day. :yep:

Soliel185

I'm excited and CRAZY nervous at the same time. I've tried it three times, and haven't had anything at ALL to complain about (only stuff to cheer about, in fact!), but I'm still mildly freaked as I think this is the first 'really' experimental thing that I've presented to the board - and you know I'll hear it and hear it good if it doesn't work for someone. :sekret: :lachen:

When you mixed your citric acid and baking soda - did you dissolve the citric acid in water first, or just pour the crystals right into the CON?

I've got a whole BAG of citric acid in my closet. :look:

JustKiya

When you mixed your citric acid and baking soda - did you dissolve the citric acid in water first, or just pour the crystals right into the CON?

I've got a whole BAG of citric acid in my closet. :look:

I've done it both ways, but I prefer to put the CA in the cup first (I use an old gel container), and add a TINY bit of water - just enough to dissolve it, then add the conditioner on top of that. If I want a really special treat, I'll dissolve it with honeyquat, instead. Then I add the conditioner, and the last thing I do is add the baking soda. :yep:

About *think* a teaspoon of CA and maybe 2 tsp of BS?

ebaby

I couldn't wait. I added the salt, honey, evoo mix to my dc early this morning. I just rinsed it out about 10 minues ago, immediately after my previous post. I believe you may be on to something. I have super thick and extremely curly hair. I cowash daily yet this past week my hair laughed at my conditioners, butters, oils, etc. and ALL of my other methods of restoring shine and softness.
I can run my fingers through my 100% natural hair without them snagging and pulling out tons of coily srands. I also did not notice one piece of hair in the sink as I was washing out the con. I am allowing it to dry without any product at all so that I may see how this experiment changed my hair in its 100% dry state. It is a miracle for me to be able to comb through my curls while it is drying without any leavins, oils, or butters and not have the comb get stuck halfway through. It also loosened me curls somewhat. I will be using this method again. I wonder if it would work with sea salt? I can't keep my hands out of my hair because it is so soft and it does not feel like a brillo pad (like yesterday)

JustKiya

I couldn't wait. I added the salt, honey, evoo mix to my dc early this morning. I just rinsed it out about 10 minues ago, immediately after my previous post. I believe you may be on to something. I have super thick and extremely curly hair. I cowash daily yet this past week my hair laughed at my conditioners, butters, oils, etc. and ALL of my other methods of restoring shine and softness.
I can run my fingers through my 100% natural hair without them snagging and pulling out tons of coily strands. I also did not notice one piece of hair in the sink as I was washing out the con. I am allowing it to dry without any product at all so that I may see how this experiment changed my hair in its 100% dry state. It is a miracle for me to be able to comb through my curls while it is drying without any leavins, oils, or butters and not have the comb get stuck halfway through. It also loosened me curls somewhat. I will be using this method again. I wonder if it would work with sea salt? I can't keep my hands out of my hair because it is so soft and it does not feel like a brillo pad (like yesterday)

*happydance* :grin: :woot:

I can't see why it wouldn't work with sea salt - it might even work better. I don't know. I planned on using sea salt next time, since I have plenty of it, but I figured I should start with Mortons, as EVERYONE has some of that in the house, ya know?

Hrm. My only concern with sea salt is that it usually has additional minerals in it, and I don't know how they might interact with the hair. I'm going out of town this weekend, so my normal hair schedule is gonna be all hosed up - I'll have to try the sea salt when I get back..... :yep:

tapioca_pudding

"Dis **** done caused me a setback... all dat d@mn salt an' shyt... burning my eyes.... ugh.." :rolleyes:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: On snap..!

I'm tryin this tomorrow... :yep: I'll let you know how it turned out on Monday!!

JustKiya

"Dis **** done caused me a setback... all dat d@mn salt an' shyt... burning my eyes.... ugh.." :rolleyes:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: On snap..!

I'm tryin this tomorrow... :yep: I'll let you know how it turned out on Monday!!

:dead:

See!! Don't even manifest such! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Have folks looking for me like this: :brucelee: :lachen: :nono:

:sekret: Make me have to change my screenname. :rofl:

Neroli

Thank you JK for sharing your experience. It does sound kinda counter-intuitive to me cuz I would think that salt would tend to dry out the hair but I am going to try this the next time I use condish. . .

I'm due for my monthly poo this weekend (I co-wash or vedic-wash the other 3 weeks) and I will use a bit of salt in my condish, prolly nexxus humectress and post results. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think baking soda + ACV will give same result? I don't pure citric acid, but I know ACV has a lot of citric acid in it.

2. do you think plain salt gave same result as the baking soda + citric acid so I don't have to waste time trying to do #1 if adding plain salt achieves similar result.

Ain't it just like life to be sooooo simple? After all the money spent, complicated concoctions, mixes, paste, etc. for ultimate moisturizing when all I had to do was add a bit of salt :lachen:

vkb247

I swear I read somewhere that if your hair has a problem taking color you can add a pinch of salt to it to help it take....maybe I read that on the mixes page of hennaforhair.com

Does anone know what I am talking about? I am guessing these things might be related. :look:

JustKiya

Thank you JK for sharing your experience. It does sound kinda counter-intuitive to me cuz I would think that salt would tend to dry out the hair but I am going to try this the next time I use condish. . .

I'm due for my monthly poo this weekend (I co-wash or vedic-wash the other 3 weeks) and I will use a bit of salt in my condish, prolly nexxus humectress and post results. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think baking soda + ACV will give same result? I don't pure citric acid, but I know ACV has a lot of citric acid in it.

2. do you think plain salt gave same result as the baking soda + citric acid so I don't have to waste time trying to do #1 if adding plain salt achieves similar result.

Ain't it just like life to be sooooo simple? After all the money spent, complicated concoctions, mixes, paste, etc. for ultimate moisturizing when all I had to do was add a bit of salt :lachen:

I agree with the underlined, which is why this is so ODD to me...... :rolleyes: I'm wondering if that fact that it's mixed with the conditioner makes a difference - maybe acts as a 'helper' to convince the hair to accept more of the moisture benefits of the con? I dunno.....

1) I don't know. ACV is acidic, and backing soda + vinegar is the heart of every 5th grade volcano, so it does give off the same carbon dioxide + water, which makes me think salt ends up in the mix, too. ACV can be 'funny' on my hair though, so I usually don't use it.

2) Based on how my hair feels today, I definitely think that plain salt will work, without the mad scientist type work - and without the extra drippies that the water end product gives you, either.

:lachen: with you at the bold!! I was thinking about that on my way to work this morning - if after ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the searching I've done for the most lucious DC, if something ELSE out of my kitchen ends up being the missing piece, I'mma be through. Pleased as punch, but through. :rofl:

Forever in Bloom

Wow! You are officially a genius :rolleyes:

Do you hear the choir in the background singing "Glory, hallelujah"?

I am definitely going to try this :yep: or I could just throw a Lush bath bomb in the water each time I take a bath, and submerge my head in the water:lachen:
But those things have sea salt in them along with the citric acid :look: I'll just use your method. Hopefully this will help us all retain some length!

adw425

Just when I thought I had learned almost absolutely everything about what from my kitchen can be used on the hair and scalp, I learn something new. I love it! I am a happy camper! Thanks for sharing as I use more things from my kitchen cabinet/refrigerator now honey, molasses, ACV, corn starch, soy milk, coconut milk, yogurt, buttermilk, fructose, protein powder, olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice (citric acid), baking soda and on and on than I do stuff in the bathroom.

JustKiya

Wow! You are officially a genius :rolleyes:

Do you hear the choir in the background singing "Glory, hallelujah"?

I am definitely going to try this :yep: or I could just throw a Lush bath bomb in the water each time I take a bath, and submerge my head in the water:lachen:
But those things have sea salt in them along with the citric acid :look: I'll just use your method. Hopefully this will help us all retain some length!

:lachen: Girl, stop! You know how they have little 'accents' in them - you'd never get them out of your hair!! :lol:

I'm hoping so - if it helps hold off a dusting, I'll feel like I've done something!

ADW425 - the kitchen is WONDERFUL isn't it? And so reasonably priced! :lol: DH just gives me the side-eye when I start rattling pots.... I really need to start cooking (food) more.... :rofl:

MonaRae

Lord can it be that I will never have to use a chemical relaxer again??!!??! Only LHCF! Only LHCF!

I too was thinking of clipping my end (which is a very big deal to me b/c I don’t cut for religious reasons). This is a God-sent. As a matter of fact I got down with a serious prayer session just last night and I was just waiting for an answer and her it is. Thank you so much for sharing!

Subscribing and Trying!

morehairplease

Just when I thought I had learned almost absolutely everything about what from my kitchen can be used on the hair and scalp, I learn something new. I love it! I am a happy camper! Thanks for sharing as I use more things from my kitchen cabinet/refrigerator now honey, molasses, ACV, corn starch, soy milk, coconut milk, yogurt, buttermilk, fructose, protein powder, olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice (citric acid), baking soda and on and on than I do stuff in the bathroom.

:scratchch I have got to search the forum to see what they are used for. I am completely in love with the baking soda poo. My hair feels lovely after using it(a little stripped but lovely nonetheless).

Last edited:

sevetlana

This is all so intriguing I know that they use salt to increase the viscosity in shampoos ( some one at my place of work used work in a plant where they made the stuff). It is also said eating too much salt make you retain water.. could it be that it is making your hair retain water too... *off to do research*

On the bolded, when my mother used to dye clothes she always added salt to the mix to make the colour take, think it made the colour last longer too...mmmm so intriguing.

*wonders if it will work on relaxed hair**

I swear I read somewhere that if your hair has a problem taking color you can add a pinch of salt to it to help it take....maybe I read that on the mixes page of hennaforhair.com

Does anone know what I am talking about? I am guessing these things might be related. :look:

WomanlyCharm

Justkiya, where did you find your citric acid powder? or can I just use something like lemon juice instead? I was about to wash my hair, but I really want to try this!

Ms.Joi

You're on to something JK. I am going to have to try this over the weekend. If you think about it, salt retains water (body wise) so why wouldn't it help retain moisture (hair wise) :yep:. This has gotta be good lol.