Thin/Fine Support Thread

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hello,

I'm a newbie with thin fine hair. I've begin embracing my hair type especially since I realize it's hereditary and not much I can change about my genes.

Have any of you all tried the MN challenge?If so, what was the effect on your hair? I'm thinking of trying this, but am curious as to the effects on thin/fine hair.

:welcome: I feel you! Same problem for me. OVATION & Mega-Tek, castor oil and some other things can make your hair appear and look fuller and thicker.

I have never tried MN. Someone posted a thread about it just yesterday that I found interesting. Here it is.

I am sure others will chime in or you can do an advanced search and you will get 100s of threads and millions of posts! :yep:

simplyme1985

I wanted to say my thin hair is hereditary too. I will post pictures of what my hair looked like with a relaxer ladies when I tell you I loved my hair then I loved it.. here is a picture of what my hair looked like going into collegeheadshot2005.jpg<---this is relaxed....here is my senior year of college collegeafrodkora.jpg<--this is natural. I'm going back to relaxed or rather texlax don't:nono: let the volume fool you...it was thin back then

RegaLady

Very fine hair, here also! I kept it short to give it some 'umph'! I will be reading this thread. So give me time to catch up!

naijanikki

Fine hair lady checkin in! I have to read all the posts, so far I've only read about 15 pages, but it's great to have you guys to help a sista out! My problem (ok, just one of them) is my crazy shedding, which I noticed was less when I used heat styling, and the KNOTS! I have no idea what to do to stop them.
But you guys give me hope that I can grow some beautiful hair even though it's fine and doesn't have much density. Thanks! :grin:

BirdieGray

Bumping for the thin/fine haired ladies. I'm in a little bit of a thin haired funk. :perplexed I just bought MT to try and thicken my hair. I just don't know what to do with it. I want to braid it for low-mani, but I'm scared it will break off when I take them out. Has anyone had success with braided extensions?

LadyKaypnyc

I have a love-hate relationship with my fine hair. When I was relaxed, I used to hate how my hair just looked...soo..BLAH!! It just looked limp. Now that I'm natural, I do have more fullness, but now I'm looking at all the thick haired naturals and I start to hate my fine strands all over again. There are some pluses to have fine natural hair though; I hate that some of my natural styles don't look as full as I'd like it to, but then again, detangling is a cinch. So I just learn to work with what I have (although I still droll over those with thick big healthy fros :nono:) So I completely understand.

I hope you feel better :bighug:

Healthybodynhair

A thin/fine hair head checking in!!!:wave: I've been trying to read all the post and did not realize how many postings are involved. I have read up to page 35 and will continue on.

It appears that everyone that started the posting hasn't logged in lately.

I am a newbie and need help.
Where you at: JanuaryNoir, AtlantaJJ, Cayenne, Honi, Serenity Peace, GymFreak (btw so am I), I know I left others out but those are the names that I can remember for now.

Help a sista out! LOL :drunk:

My hair type is 3c/4a ...I think. My hair length is between neck and shoulder length. I am 15 weeks post and dealing with lots of shedding so off to get a relaxer this week. Has anyone ever used Paul Mitchell Relaxer? I hear its a conditioning relaxer and will not straighten your hair all the way even if you try.

My hair has been fine all my life but it has definitely thinned out the past 10-15 years due to of course me damaging it. I don't expect to have thick hair but I just want my old hair back. I'll be praying and doing my part at the same token keeping it simple.

sweetpuff

Hello all!

I'm glad you guys found this thread for fine hair! :yep:
You definitely have to distinguish two things: fine strand and 'fine density'.
Some have fine strands but lots of hair.
others might have regular strand but a smaller hair density.

whatever you do, many tips were given at the beginning of the thread.
I for my part have fine strands and medium density.
what I do:
-stretch relaxers as much as I can.
-Deep conditionning once a week.
-wash and rollerset (I either airdry or go under my hood dryer)
-limit to a minimum the blowdryer (it was kinda hard last month as I was really lazy)
-Eat better _steer clear of fried foods and fast food
-drink more.

Artemis

The breakdown is like this:
Strands: Fine, medium, coarse, or wiry
Density: Thin, medium, or thick

Hair can be any combination of these.

HTH :)

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
A thin/fine hair head checking in!!!:wave: I've been trying to read all the post and did not realize how many postings are involved. I have read up to page 35 and will continue on.

Where you at: JanuaryNoir, AtlantaJJ, Cayenne, Honi, Serenity Peace, GymFreak (btw so am I), I know I left others out but those are the names that I can remember for now.

My hair type is 3c/4a ...I think. My hair length is between neck and shoulder length. I am 15 weeks post and dealing with lots of shedding so off to get a relaxer this week. Has anyone ever used Paul Mitchell Relaxer? I hear its a conditioning relaxer and will not straighten your hair all the way even if you try.

My hair has been fine all my life but it has definitely thinned out the past 10-15 years due to of course me damaging it. I don't expect to have thick hair but I just want my old hair back. I'll be praying and doing my part at the same token keeping it simple.

January Noir checking in... you are right. I haven't posted in a while. Busy...no excuse right? Anyhoo, let me digest the information you've given before I respond. Be back... :yep:

BirdieGray

I have a love-hate relationship with my fine hair. When I was relaxed, I used to hate how my hair just looked...soo..BLAH!! It just looked limp. Now that I'm natural, I do have more fullness, but now I'm looking at all the thick haired naturals and I start to hate my fine strands all over again. There are some pluses to have fine natural hair though; I hate that some of my natural styles don't look as full as I'd like it to, but then again, detangling is a cinch. So I just learn to work with what I have (although I still droll over those with thick big healthy fros :nono:) So I completely understand.

I hope you feel better :bighug:

Thanks for the love! (SMH @ myself, for being all late to respond :rolleyes:) But, sometimes it's good to know that I'm not the only one who gets frustrated.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

Generally speaking, most peope experience thinning hair as part of the aging process. For most of us, returning to the time of our youth is not realistic, especially if you are in your late 30s and into your 40s and 50s. The good thing is that you can learn enough about hair care hear on LHCF to make the most of what you've got.

With that being said, there are no miracles, but just finding what products will work for you. :yep:

What I and many other fine/thin heads are that long stretches (unless you can smooth the cuticle to reduce breakage and don't comb) are not conducive. Long stretches can cause extreme breakage. If your natural texture is very different from your relaxed or texlaxed texture, you will have breakage at the demarcation line. Touch-ups are good at 8-12 weeks with 12 weeks being extreme. Since you are 3c/4a this might not be a big issue for you, but if you keep experiencing breakage that is not normal day-to-day shedding, then, Yes, you are overdue for a relaxer.

I have not heard of or used a Paul Mitchell Relaxer. May be someone else will chime in.

Healthybodynhair

Generally speaking, most peope experience thinning hair as part of the aging process. For most of us, returning to the time of our youth is not realistic, especially if you are in your late 30s and into your 40s and 50s. The good thing is that you can learn enough about hair care hear on LHCF to make the most of what you've got.

With that being said, there are no miracles, but just finding what products will work for you. :yep:

What I and many other fine/thin heads are that long stretches (unless you can smooth the cuticle to reduce breakage and don't comb) are not conducive. Long stretches can cause extreme breakage. If your natural texture is very different from your relaxed or texlaxed texture, you will have breakage at the demarcation line. Touch-ups are good at 8-12 weeks with 12 weeks being extreme. Since you are 3c/4a this might not be a big issue for you, but if you keep experiencing breakage that is not normal day-to-day shedding, then, Yes, you are overdue for a relaxer.

I have not heard of or used a Paul Mitchell Relaxer. May be someone else will chime in.

Thanks JN. I guess you have a point there. Maybe stretching is not a good thing. I am 15 weeks post and the minute I place my fingers between my strands...I am definitely coming out with hair, lately more than usual. I was so teary eyed this evening. It kills me to kow all this effort and I am losing hair on a head that doesn't have much to start with. I thought strectching was a good thing. I have been told that next time around I need to gradual stretch...first 12 weeks, next 14, than 16 and etc. Who knows maybe that will work.

I understand I can't have the hair of my childhood but I know it can thicken up and I thought stretches were made for that. I know someone who has been doing this for 2 years who started wih neck length and although her hair is no where near fine or thin it has definitely thicken and lengthen up past bra strap. I know there is hope at the end of the tunnel. I'm trying to stay positive here because at this moment I feel like crying but I won't! :drunk:

angeleyez04

Just checking...I Have EXTREMELY thin hair but having read a good portion of the suggestions i think i can make my hair work...I don't know if any one has an alternative for biotin because i am very allergic to anything with biotin in it that has to be taking orally, right now my subsitute for it are biotin shampoo & condtioner. I will be buying some more castor oil..and we'll see how things go.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm trying to stay positive here because at this moment I feel like crying but I won't! :drunk:

:hug2: Don't despair! You have beautiful hair. Even I complain about my hair but daggonit, but there are people who would give their most precious possession to have hair like ours. :yep:

You are learning just fine! One thing I figured out for myself was that a lot of women here saw that it took approximately 2 years before they noticed that the look and feel of their hair improved. It takes time and patience and love of self to get through.

I have been here since 2006 and I have had setback after setback. If I didn't I believe my hair should have been way beyond brastrap and I am at lower shoulder.

Hang in there! :up:

If price points are not a factor for you I recommend the products in my siggy and avatar (Ovation & Wen products). They have helped me a great deal.

Aggie

Awesome advice JN.

Thanks JN. I guess you have a point there. Maybe stretching is not a good thing. I am 15 weeks post and the minute I place my fingers between my strands...I am definitely coming out with hair, lately more than usual. I was so teary eyed this evening. It kills me to kow all this effort and I am losing hair on a head that doesn't have much to start with. I thought strectching was a good thing. I have been told that next time around I need to gradual stretch...first 12 weeks, next 14, than 16 and etc. Who knows maybe that will work.

I understand I can't have the hair of my childhood but I know it can thicken up and I thought stretches were made for that. I know someone who has been doing this for 2 years who started wih neck length and although her hair is no where near fine or thin it has definitely thicken and lengthen up past bra strap. I know there is hope at the end of the tunnel. I'm trying to stay positive here because at this moment I feel like crying but I won't! :drunk:

I fell the same way about stretching my relaxer. I lose too many hairs when I stretch beyond 10 weeks especially now since I'm on the MT/OCT challenge. It just does not seem feasible for me anymore and I was so hopeful too. It's just not for me:nono:. I've come to that realization now and I will not force it ever again.

Healthybodynhair

Awesome advice JN.

I fell the same way about stretching my relaxer. I lose too many hairs when I stretch beyond 10 weeks especially now since I'm on the MT/OCT challenge. It just does not seem feasible for me anymore and I was so hopeful too. It's just not for me:nono:. I've come to that realization now and I will not force it ever again.

Thanks for the advice. It definitely is a trial and error process. I've heard it 3x already. No more stretching.

Does anybody's hair thin out at a certain length but no longer does after joining LHCF? I find that my hair thins out when growing. It will grow but it makes no sense. I've been told by my beautician that my hair is not meant to be long. I don't believe her.

Healthybodynhair

:hug2: Don't despair! You have beautiful hair. Even I complain about my hair but daggonit, but there are people who would give their most precious possession to have hair like ours. :yep:

You are learning just fine! One thing I figured out for myself was that a lot of women here saw that it took approximately 2 years before they noticed that the look and feel of their hair improved. It takes time and patience and love of self to get through.

I have been here since 2006 and I have had setback after setback. If I didn't I believe my hair should have been way beyond brastrap and I am at lower shoulder.

Hang in there! :up:

If price points are not a factor for you I recommend the products in my siggy and avatar (Ovation & Wen products). They have helped me a great deal.

Thanks for the motivating advice. I appreciate it. I didn't want to have to depend on products to get there. I guess I may not have a choice. I'll look into it ...how about Henna? Has that worked for you?

Lavendar

Thanks for the advice. It definitely is a trial and error process. I've heard it 3x already. No more stretching.

Does anybody's hair thin out at a certain length but no longer does after joining LHCF? I find that my hair thins out when growing. It will grow but it makes no sense. I've been told by my beautician that my hair is not meant to be long. I don't believe her.

Mine told me that at just past shoulder I had reached my "genetic" length and that's as far as it was possible for my hair to grow.:look:

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

I just happened upon this page by accident. And it was a lucky one for me because all my life hairdressers have never been able to classify my hair. It looks coarse but behaves fine. Due to my hair looking coarse whenever I would get relaxers my hair would break off instantly because the hairdressers would pack down my hair with a lot of chemical and my hair would stay wavy and never get straight.

Because of that I stopped relaxing my hair completely and turned to braids which also did damage because it was very drying to my hair.

Now, I wear my natural hair without extensions. At first, I was blow-drying and doing a press or flat iron but fine hair does not look good straight unless it is a certain length and it was too much heat for my hair to take. I found out that this is what helps me after a lot of trial and error:

1. Minimal to no heat
2. No chemical relaxers or texturisers
3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture (oils, Qhemet Biologics)
4. Braid hair up at night to hold in moisture and make natural coils pop
5. Wash hair once a week to every two weeks
6. Tie hair up at night with a silk or satin hair cloth
7. Use the right shampoos and conditioners, I stick to Aveda
8. Use wide-tooth bone comb and the small-tooth comb to get out shed hairs
9. Gentle combing

Best regards,
almond eyes

PatTodd

Dear Ladies,

I just happened upon this page by accident. And it was a lucky one for me because all my life hairdressers have never been able to classify my hair. It looks coarse but behaves fine. Due to my hair looking coarse whenever I would get relaxers my hair would break off instantly because the hairdressers would pack down my hair with a lot of chemical and my hair would stay wavy and never get straight.

Because of that I stopped relaxing my hair completely and turned to braids which also did damage because it was very drying to my hair.

Now, I wear my natural hair without extensions. At first, I was blow-drying and doing a press or flat iron but fine hair does not look good straight unless it is a certain length and it was too much heat for my hair to take. I found out that this is what helps me after a lot of trial and error:

1. Minimal to no heat
2. No chemical relaxers or texturisers
3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture (oils, Qhemet Biologics)
4. Braid hair up at night to hold in moisture and make natural coils pop
5. Wash hair once a week to every two weeks
6. Tie hair up at night with a silk or satin hair cloth
7. Use the right shampoos and conditioners, I stick to Aveda
8. Use wide-tooth bone comb and the small-tooth comb to get out shed hairs
9. Gentle combing

Best regards,
almond eyes

Almondeyes, our hair sounds quite similar. What is your hairstyle? Do you have a photo?

Bublin

Another thin haired lady signing in.

Someone mentioned always having see-through ends - damn - my hairdresser gave me a massive trim as she said my ends were like this. I wish i never gave her permission now - as every 6 months i seem to be cutting my hair off thinking its splitting.......Its just the way my hair is.

almond eyes

Hello Pat,

I promise to post pictures. I work in Central Africa and about to move again to another country in the region. So when I settle I will do a fokti or something like that. I am not very sophisticated with all the technology yet, but I will catch up.

Best,
Almond Eyes

LivingDoll

Hello all!

I'm glad you guys found this thread for fine hair! :yep:
You definitely have to distinguish two things: fine strand and 'fine density'.
Some have fine strands but lots of hair.
others might have regular strand but a smaller hair density.

whatever you do, many tips were given at the beginning of the thread.
I for my part have fine strands and medium density.
what I do:
-stretch relaxers as much as I can.
-Deep conditionning once a week.
-wash and rollerset (I either airdry or go under my hood dryer)
-limit to a minimum the blowdryer (it was kinda hard last month as I was really lazy)
-Eat better _steer clear of fried foods and fast food
-drink more.

Great post! I have fine strands and medium density. there is definitely a difference. My sis has coarse strands and little density. Our hair looks completely different.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I love this thread. :yep: :up:

I hope my experience helps someone.

I've had baby fine hair all my life, with a full density. But I killed it a few years ago with excessive blow drying (high heat) and an attempt at having a relaxer, because I wanted to have bone 'straight' hair. Big Mistake! Huge! :cry:

I lost my hair. Literally, I lost my hair. And it took me over 2 years to recover it. My first miracle was a thin paste of Castor Oil (regular) and Cayenne Pepper.

I would apply this mixture to my scalp every night; leave it on for about an hour or so; rinse out with Conditioner FIRST (water heats the red pepper; so the creamy texture of the conditioner 'cools' it down); after the Conditioner rinse I'd use a baby shampoo, then condition again. It brought my hair back. :happydance:

Later when I joined this forum, I found out about MTG, but couldn't handle the smell; Then MN, and began using it. That gave me slightly thicker roots and filled in my hairline beautifully.

From MN, I began using OCT and now Mega Tek. I see a 'marked' difference in thicker hair and length. I can't wait to see how this progresses further.

Hope this helps someone. :yep:

ETA: I forgot to share that my hair is totally natural. I've accepted having curls. I cannot use heat; I'm actually afraid to use heat. :nervous2: ... very afraid.

My hair is air dried...always. If I have to leave the house with wet hair, I just do it. I'm just that cautious of using heat. If I want a 'straighter' look, I just use regular hair rollers to smooth out the curls a little. I've learned my lesson.

Last edited:

200AndOne

:grin::grin: I'm really glad to have found this thread - I realized I had fine/thin hair after a horrific cornrow experience. I went to my local african hair braiding spot for cornrows and I think this **** put roots on me! My hair after, was - t-h-i-n! to the point where i could put the length of my hair in one duck bill clip! BUT - i learned, and knew from LHCF that all my hair need was to be moisturized and left the h* alone to grow.

l_choice2001

just an update went to the salon sat got a roller set gonna be rocking that until it falls lol, then gonna wash and braid and wear wigs as my protective styles until i return to the salon, any fine haired ladies use wigs as protective styles ever??