Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

faithVA

@hair4romheaven

- I looked at the ingredients for all the washes. I figured that the essential oils would still work for me. I also am not totally loving the underlying scent. I was hoping it was just the Left Coast Lemon, but I can still smell it in the Sultry spice.

The Sultry Spice worked just as well as the LCL.

@faithVA I steamed with mud-in. I only used a little bit. I basically section my hair in 4. For each section I split it once more and then added mud to those sections. When I re-twisted my hair to get to the next section, I could see that there was mud in my hair.

Loosed it all out before going under the steamer. My hair just felt nice. Not dry or anything. Just had a little bit of scalp issue, but a little grapeseed oil and I was good.

Ok was just cautioning. Not saying not to do it but if you do it over time to just keep an eye out for it.

makeupvixen

Ok so I've been lurking since the start of this post and you ladies are awesome. I've tried Terressentials for months, mostly the left coast lemon because my hair hated the sultry spice (I did a video on both).

I have also started this challenge with you but never said anything, shame on me, I know. It's not really official to me because I alternate my use of the Terressentials Left Coast Lemon with the Shea Moisture Purification Mask (both clay based).

Well I used wanted to let you know I have also gotten amazing results. I wash on Sunday with Terressentials (diluted, 1oz Terr and 2oz water). I then apply a DC (KBB Lucsious Locs or SheScentIt Avocado Conditioner) then I steam with it for 25 minutes. Sometimes I leave it in and other times I rinse the DC out, those days I use a shea butter blend (random because I test products for YT videos). Then I seal, sometimes I don't seal.

I chopped of 2 inches of hair last weekend because of knots, getting bad.

Well I think that's it. I just wanted to say I was here and have been here since the begining and I really love this thread, I check it everyday.

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 68
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 69

hair4today

Ok so I've been lurking since the start of this post and you ladies are awesome. I've tried Terressentials for months, mostly the left coast lemon because my hair hated the sultry spice (I did a video on both).

I have also started this challenge with you but never said anything, shame on me, I know. It's not really official to me because I alternate my use of the Terressentials Left Coast Lemon with the Shea Moisture Purification Mask (both clay based).

Well I used wanted to let you know I have also gotten amazing results. I wash on Sunday with Terressentials (diluted, 1oz Terr and 2oz water). I then apply a DC (KBB Lucsious Locs or SheScentIt Avocado Conditioner) then I steam with it for 25 minutes. Sometimes I leave it in and other times I rinse the DC out, those days I use a shea butter blend (random because I test products for YT videos). Then I seal, sometimes I don't seal.

Well I think that's it. I just wanted to say I was here and have been here since the begining and I really love this thread, I check it everyday.
Hi there makeupvixen welcome to our little group of happy 'mudders'. Your hair looks great btw...love your curls. I haven't checked your YouTube reviews as yet but wondering what was your experience like with the sultry spice scent? I just finished my bottle of lavender and wanted to get samples of the other types. I was leaning towards mint and the spice but now not so sure after reading a few unfavorable comments.

Last edited:

makeupvixen

Hi @hair4today
My experience with Sultry Spice was terrible to say the least. It dried my hair out so bad I had to do the baggy method for 6 days straight with my QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and constantly DC'ed with my KBB for 3 weeks. I tried it 3 times and each time it took 1-2 weeks to recover from the damage, once right out of the bottle onto the tips of my fingers and then the other 2 were diluted with water in an applicator bottle, same results each time, a hot mess. Sadly I tried the sultry spice first (ordered the lemon and spice at the same time) and I was going to give up on the Terr altogether. Then I went a head and tried the lemon when I ran out of shea moisture purification mask, my hair LOVED it.

About 4 months after my hair drama with the Spice I told Dawnelle on YT about it. She said she would try them all and do a video for me on how she rates them. I told her I was loving the Lemon and my hair hated the Spice, her hair agreed with mine and she ranked them in her video for me. From what I have been reading on all the forum people like the Lemon and Lavender and I really don't hear much about the mint or spice, just a few comments here and there. I don't like the tingle of mint so I wont be buying it but I have heard some nice reviews on it.

I have ordered 3 of the 16oz Left Coast Lemons and one of the 8oz Lavenders, hopefully it will last me a year or so.

hair4today

Hi @hair4today
My experience with Sultry Spice was terrible to say the least. It dried my hair out so bad I had to do the baggy method for 6 days straight with my QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and constantly DC'ed with my KBB for 3 weeks. I tried it 3 times and each time it took 1-2 weeks to recover from the damage, once right out of the bottle onto the tips of my fingers and then the other 2 were diluted with water in an applicator bottle, same results each time, a hot mess. Sadly I tried the sultry spice first (ordered the lemon and spice at the same time) and I was going to give up on the Terr altogether. Then I went a head and tried the lemon when I ran out of shea moisture purification mask, my hair LOVED it.

About 4 months after my hair drama with the Spice I told Dawnelle on YT about it. She said she would try them all and do a video for me on how she rates them. I told her I was loving the Lemon and my hair hated the Spice, her hair agreed with mine and she ranked them in her video for me. From what I have been reading on all the forum people like the Lemon and Lavender and I really don't hear much about the mint or spice, just a few comments here and there. I don't like the tingle of mint so I wont be buying it but I have heard some nice reviews on it.

I have ordered 3 of the 16oz Left Coast Lemons and one of the 8oz Lavenders, hopefully it will last me a year or so.
Wow thanks so much makeupvixen for breaking it down so clearly. I finally got my moisture balance where it needs to be so will now be backing away slowly from the sultry spice..lol. I'll stick with the lavender for now as someone up thread said so well -- why mess with what's working.

faithVA

[USER=183132 said:
makeupvixen[/USER];14359619]Ok so I've been lurking since the start of this post and you ladies are awesome. I've tried Terressentials for months, mostly the left coast lemon because my hair hated the sultry spice (I did a video on both).

Thanks for peaking in. And for giving some info on the Sultry Spice. Also thanks for giving an alternative shampoo. I may check into the Shea Moisture next time I stop by Walgreens.

Missigirl

Before buying my mud I read which flavor was for different hair types. I narrowed it down to Lavender and Lemon my hair type was dry and kinky. I will definitely re-order the lavender have not had a chance to use the lemon yet I will report back once I use it. Not planning on experimenting with the others thank you for the report makeupvixen on the Spice.

faithVA

That was good info about the Sultry Spice. I will get a bottle of the lavender and leave the rest alone. But I will at least research the Shea Moisture.

Ashawn Arraine

I'm so glad that some of you mentioned the Shea moisture. I was curious about this but I need to used up all or most of my other junk first.

makeupvixen

I'm so glad that some of you mentioned the Shea moisture. I was curious about this but I need to used up all or most of my other junk first.

My hair isn't a fan of Shea Moisture at all, I really wanted to like it because it's local and Wal-greens has those deals. But the Shea Moisture Purification Mask is Bomb on my hair. Yes I prefer the Terressentials more but on days that my hair feels "different" or too "something" (just hard to describe) then I use the Shea Moisture one. After I started alternating the Terressentials with the Shea Moisture I've finally got control over my hair. The other perks like steaming helps a lot but this mud and clay thing really works for me and if the foundation for my hair care routine.

Next year I will be traveling out of state a lot and so it was very important that I find what works, what can be multifunctional, and stuff that I didn't need a lot of. So all i need is my terr and shea moisture, then a DC I can leave in and a gel for wash n go, done. On days that I go swimming I don't use my clay and I rely on my Henna Sooq poo bars.

hair4romheaven

My hair isn't a fan of Shea Moisture at all, I really wanted to like it because it's local and Wal-greens has those deals. But the Shea Moisture Purification Mask is Bomb on my hair. Yes I prefer the Terressentials more but on days that my hair feels "different" or too "something" (just hard to describe) then I use the Shea Moisture one. After I started alternating the Terressentials with the Shea Moisture I've finally got control over my hair. The other perks like steaming helps a lot but this mud and clay thing really works for me and if the foundation for my hair care routine.

Next year I will be traveling out of state a lot and so it was very important that I find what works, what can be multifunctional, and stuff that I didn't need a lot of. So all i need is my terr and shea moisture, then a DC I can leave in and a gel for wash n go, done. On days that I go swimming I don't use my clay and I rely on my Henna Sooq poo bars.

makeupvixen my hair hated SHEA MOISTURE. I also figured out my hair hates shea butter which is why I requested the ing. I to feel like I want to alternate with something else. I know exactly what your talking about.

mstokes2008

Hi @hair4today

I sure wish I would've read this review before. I JUST got the shipping confirmation of my 16oz Sultry Spice. Just hope I'm the odd one that likes it because I hate the smell of lemons and lavender and I'm not to fond of the tingling effect on my scalp. Oh well. hopefully the Spice works wonders for me like the other ones have worked for y'all *crossing fingers*

Curlykale

I don't have access to Terressentials (=Europe),so I tried 3 washes with aloe juice + clay + hemp oil this week, I like it but I may add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
With the aloe and oil, and applying a butter after the shower I did not have the bad static and crazy hair that I used to have when I tried with water only.
The ends seem kind of fortified, and the hair is shinier and kind of absorbs product better, it is as if I need less product.

SimJam

man I just emailed them asking if my order has shipped yet :(

I want to try this so bad !!!!!

ETA
and I want to get a good feel of how my hair likes it so I know how/what to order on BF :grin:

If I really dont need that much conditioner for DCs then sadly I'll have to reduce my orders from Oyin and HV.

Im not giving up ny AOHC and BRBC though :look:

Last edited:

Skiggle

*Coming out of lurkdom*

The ladies with think density hair..how much are you using?

And what are you ladies using as a "natural deep conditioner" that is comptabile with mud cleanser. I've been using silicon mix as a DC..and well that's full of silicones/mineral oil etc :lol: *But I lurve it*

I want to purchase Both lavender/lemon scents on BF.

hair4romheaven

*Coming out of lurkdom*

And what are you ladies using as a "natural deep conditioner" that is comptabile with mud cleanser. I've been using silicon mix as a DC..and well that's full of silicones/mineral oil etc :lol: *But I lurve it*

@Skiggle I used the 8oz bottle 4x. I'd say about 2oz per wash. I had to dilute the last one. There was literally none left. I am on a new bottle and am trying to "light" with it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I still used a lot and diluting was SO messy! I apply as if it was a relaxer in order to coat my hair. Are they having a sale on BF?
ETA I have been using AOWC and Komaza oive oil mask. I want to use ORS replenishing just to see what will happen. I'll end up mudding again so I think I can still use "unnatural" products sparingly.

Beany

Skiggle I have THICK hair, but it's short (a bit bigger than TWA) and I'm using about 2 heaping teaspoons per wash undiluted (during my detox). I'll start diluting it once this detox period is over. You can use Aubrey Organics for deep conditioning. They (TE) have a shop about an hour away. Don't know if I wanna spend the money on gas or shipping this time around, but I'm lazy so it'll probably be shipping :lol:

Skiggle

@Skiggle I used the 8oz bottle 4x. I'd say about 2oz per wash. I had to dilute the last one. There was literally none left. I am on a new bottle and am trying to "light" with it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I still used a lot and diluting was SO messy! I apply as if it was a relaxer in order to coat my hair. Are they having a sale on BF?
ETA I have been using AOWC and Komaza oive oil mask. I want to use ORS replenishing just to see what will happen. I'll end up mudding again so I think I can still use "unnatural" products sparingly.

Oh, No I meant I will be ordering on Black Friday!
Awwe man, this stuff is expensive and I'm really heavy handed. So
I'm really worried and plus I like a good lather.
What scent are you using?
Thanks for answering!

Skiggle I have THICK hair, but it's short (a bit bigger than TWA) and I'm using about 2 heaping teaspoons per wash undiluted (during my detox). I'll start diluting it once this detox period is over. You can use Aubrey Organics for deep conditioning. They (TE) have a shop about an hour away. Don't know if I wanna spend the money on gas or shipping this time around, but I'm lazy so it'll probably be shipping :lol:

I live in FL so I will have to pay for shipping. :sad:
Thanks for answering!

mstokes2008

Check out this video I found a few days ago... http://youtu.be/4-D-7DmzJyw

this is the method I plan on using to stretch my mud wash after my detox.

HTH

sikora

*Coming out of lurkdom*

I use Aubrey Organics conditioners

Ashawn Arraine

Sorry, but what is BF. I only come up with boyfriend :lol:. I am still catching up on abreviations.

faithVA

[USER=259646 said:
Ashawn Arraine[/USER];14368195]Sorry, but what is BF. I only come up with boyfriend :lol:. I am still catching up on abreviations.

BF is Black Friday. People have already started their list for what they will buy on Black Friday. And there will be a flurry of purchases where people stock up.

faithVA

[USER=107337 said:
Skiggle[/USER];14366649]Oh, No I meant I will be ordering on Black Friday!
Awwe man, this stuff is expensive and I'm really heavy handed. So
I'm really worried and plus I like a good lather.
Thanks for answering!

I live in FL so I will have to pay for shipping. :sad:
Thanks for answering!

Skiggle, the mud wash isn't a shampoo so there isn't any lather. And you definitely don't want to be heavy handed. You want to work towards putting on as little as possible especially if you care about the cost. So most of us dilute it to use less product, also because it is easier to apply.

I have medium density, SL hair and I use 2 TBSP with 2 TBSP of water. The mudwash is a little soupy so it goes on my hair better. My hair is bushy so there is no way I could really get it on my strands undiluted.

I use the Lemon but many use the Lavender with good results.

I would think of this more as a cleanser and not a shampoo.

KinkyGenius

Has anyone experienced dry scalp from using this mud wash? That seems to be my current problem and I've never had scalp issues in the past

Ashawn Arraine

Lazy question has anyone tried to use the TE with their hair braided with either synthetic or natural hair small-medium box braids?

If so does it rinse out easily or is it difficult?

faithVA

[USER=68037 said:
ShyIntellect[/USER];14368287]Has anyone experienced dry scalp from using this mud wash? That seems to be my current problem and I've never had scalp issues in the past

I think it is possible to experience dry scalp if you use it with heat, keep it on too long or use it to frequently.

I have switched to using it every other week and I cowash the other weeks. I dilute my mud wash, and only leave it on for 20 minutes. I don't baggy or use any heat.

How are you using it?