I'm going to color my hair...

glamazon386

I bought Textures and Tones in Bronze. I've been eyeing it for a while and decided to just go ahead and buy it. I don't want to do highlights bc I think they'll look like spots in my fro. I think I'm only going to dye the front portion of my hair and see how I like it. Has anybody done this successfully?

Faithfullover

I use semi-permanent color to change the top of my hair black all the time because I have such a hard time finding ponytails and weave that matches my natural four million and eight color brown hair. I usually section the part I'm not coloring with scrunchies to keep it out of the wau. I would suggest finding a semi-permanent in a color close to the one you want first then if you like it switch to permanent. :)

Mya

Ms_Twana

I so want some color too. But I'm too chicken. Now I can go without DCing if I want to. That won't be an option if I color. Besides, I'm afraid that it won't look right after my hair coils up.

glamazon386

Thanks ladies for responding... A rinse isn't going to give me the color I want. It's not going to lift enough. I already have the dye... I know theres more naturals out there who color... Where's naturaline?

RainbowCurls

I think that's the colour Ambitious1013 used to use and it looked beautiful. I'm not sure what her natural hair colour is though...

ETA: she is relaxed

P

patient1

I've used that brand and color several times in the past.

If you ever DO decide to do highlights on your natural hair, color your hair while it's in two strand twists and do not squeeze the color through your hair.

I've never just done the front of my hair though.

Let us know how it comes out..or just post pics! :)

p1

glamazon386

RainbowCurls said:
I think that's the colour Ambitious1013 used to use and it looked beautiful. I'm not sure what her natural hair colour is though...

ETA: she is relaxed

Thanks RainbowCurls! I'm gonna look her up...

Country gal

I had my hair professionally colored last year. My stylist added in highlights and left the back alone. It came out really pretty. I still see the color today. It didn't make my fro have spots of color. It was done really nicely. I would opt for the professional job.

glamazon386

Countrygal, thanks for responding. My guy wants almost $100 to color my hair. That's out of my budget especially when I want a simple dye job. I can understand highlights bc they're more intricate. How much of the top of your hair was colored? Was it half and half? That's what I'm wondering about. I don't want to dye too much of it and it looks weird. I've had two toned weaves before and I like that look on me.

I've read all the threads on color on this board and Nappturality and everybody who posted about T&T's had a good experience with it. I did my research. I'm capable of doing it myself. At least if my hair gets jacked, it's my fault and not somebody elses. That's part of the reason I only want to dye a portion and not the whole thing. So I'll be able to focus on that one area and give it special attention should something go awry.

Last edited:

Ambitious1013

I was very impressed with Textures and Tones in Bronze. I've tried all kinds of at home coloring products and T&T is my favorite! There is one step I always added when I did my color. I added oil (coconut was my choice) to the conditioner included and deep conditioned for 30-45 minutes.

It is so important to do your research before you color and it seems like you are on the right track. Good luck with your color! I can't wait to see the results. :)

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
Hey,

Guess what? I just colored my hair last week with T&T with the same color you want the bronze. I did only the front top part of my hair only. So far so good. I am just going to make sure I keep my hair very moist since I now have the color once again. I am 100% natural and this is the second time I have colored my hair. The first time I had it done at the Aveda salon and no damage at all. So I decided to take the cheaper route this time and do it myself.

I will have to take couple of pic to show you the color. Let me know when you color yours.

glamazon386

Ambitious1013 said:
I was very impressed with Textures and Tones in Bronze. I've tried all kinds of at home coloring products and T&T is my favorite! There is one step I always added when I did my color. I added oil (coconut was my choice) to the conditioner included and deep conditioned for 30-45 minutes.

It is so important to do your research before you color and it seems like you are on the right track. Good luck with your color! I can't wait to see the results. :)

Thanks Ambitious! I was just checking out your fotki. The color is really pretty on you but it looks more red than on the box. Is your natural color kind of light? Thanks for the tip about the oil. I'll try it.

glamazon386

sunnygirl said:
Hey,

Guess what? I just colored my hair last week with T&T with the same color you want the bronze. I did only the front top part of my hair only. So far so good. I am just going to make sure I keep my hair very moist since I now have the color once again. I am 100% natural and this is the second time I have colored my hair. The first time I had it done at the Aveda salon and no damage at all. So I decided to take the cheaper route this time and do it myself.

I will have to take couple of pic to show you the color. Let me know when you color yours.

SunnyGirl! Pictures please!! :lol: I'm taking my braids down as I type this so I'm guessing I won't get to it until tommorow sometime. Hopefully. If not, it'll be next weekend. Did you just divide your hair into two even halves?

Pam Pam

Good thread. :D

After coming off the boot camp challenge, I went to the salon for my Easter 'do. I cut off 3 inches and she gave me blond highlights through that cap thingy.

I am 100% natural and I got a flat iron afterwards. At night, I usually wrap my hair and smooth on almond oil. In the morning, I smooth on grapeseed oil and unwrap and add some oil to the front. I probably have been overdoing it with the oil because my hair is just straight with no curl definition and a bend at the ends from the wrapping.

So far so good for me (although it's only been a week.)

Ambitious1013

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks Ambitious! I was just checking out your fotki. The color is really pretty on you but it looks more red than on the box. Is your natural color kind of light? Thanks for the tip about the oil. I'll try it.
Thank you! My natural color is medium brown and that's why it's more of a reddish shade.

glamazon386

Ambitious1013 said:
Thank you! My natural color is medium brown and that's why it's more of a reddish shade.

Oh okay cool. I was like ummm maybe I should rethink this color with my complexion. :look: :lol: Thanks :)

Sassafrass

I just recently used T&T cherrywood with fantastic results! I may go even lighter. I've tried rinsing with Beautiful Collections and nothing happened. I think T & T will work great for you! Good luck!

KiniKakes

Awesome!!! Ive been thinking about coloring my hair as well..... brown streaks or something like that. I cant wait to see how ures comes out! :) I bet its going to look sooo pretty!!!!

glamazon386

Hey ladies! I bought the dye but I didn't do it yet. It took me forever to get those braids out last weekend. And this weekend i just didn't get around to it.

CurleeDST

I just got my hair colored today and am happier for it!!!! Gotta love the professional color. I think it really enhances the natural hair's curls and curves.

glamazon386

CurleeDST said:
I just got my hair colored today and am happier for it!!!! Gotta love the professional color. I think it really enhances the natural hair's curls and curves.

Wow what color did you get? And where did you go?

CurleeDST

Hola! I went to Salon Cielo at Columbia Mall in Columbia, MD and he mixed up something custom. He tends to look at your complexion and then goes in the back and mixes something up. He then had to dry my hair once the color was applied to apply the highlights which are a mix between auburnish and gold. Me likey. I have a few pics in my fotki labelled May under the 2007 but they don't even do it justice b/c it looks much better in person. That is the best I could do with my short arms with taking pictures. LOL

bmoreflyygirl said:
Wow what color did you get? And where did you go?

P

patient1

CurleeDST said:
Hola! I went to Salon Cielo at Columbia Mall in Columbia, MD and he mixed up something custom. He tends to look at your complexion and then goes in the back and mixes something up. He then had to dry my hair once the color was applied to apply the highlights which are a mix between auburnish and gold. Me likey. I have a few pics in my fotki labelled May under the 2007 but they don't even do it justice b/c it looks much better in person. That is the best I could do with my short arms with taking pictures. LOL

It looks FAB!!!!

p1

CurleeDST

I go to John who is AA, the manager of Salon Cielo and saved! Gotta love the fact he loves the Lord. He does not specialize in natural hair per se but he can COLOR like nobody's business. I told him to only style me with some scrunches to enhance the curl and let me walk on out. He used foaming pomade by Paul Mitchell - scrunched and I was good to go. I have had him style me before by straightening my hair and doing an updo and he was just AIGHT! I would go to Strands II in Columbia, MD and see Jamie if I want to blow out my natural hair and want a cute and fierce updo. She is great with that. Take a look at my album under ummmm....I think the wedding photo. I have a picture of me with an updo on New Year's heading out to a wedding (dressed in all black). Jamie did that. Her prices are also very reasonable and she roller sets you and puts you under the dryer before flat ironing your roots. She has a lot of natural-haired clients and doesn't use all that blowdryer heat like the Dominicans.

John did deep condition me for about 20 minutes after the color and highlights. All in all I paid $140 for color, highlights and deep condition.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I agree it does!! Who's your stylist? I was just in that mall yesterday. Does he specialize in natural hair or do you just go to him for color?

glamazon386

CurleeDST said:
I go to John who is AA, the manager of Salon Cielo and saved! Gotta love the fact he loves the Lord. He does not specialize in natural hair per se but he can COLOR like nobody's business. I told him to only style me with some scrunches to enhance the curl and let me walk on out. He used foaming pomade by Paul Mitchell - scrunched and I was good to go. I have had him style me before by straightening my hair and doing an updo and he was just AIGHT! I would go to Strands II in Columbia, MD and see Jamie if I want to blow out my natural hair and want a cute and fierce updo. She is great with that. Take a look at my album under ummmm....I think the wedding photo. I have a picture of me with an updo on New Year's heading out to a wedding (dressed in all black). Jamie did that. Her prices are also very reasonable and she roller sets you and puts you under the dryer before flat ironing your roots. She has a lot of natural-haired clients and doesn't use all that blowdryer heat like the Dominicans.

John did deep condition me for about 20 minutes after the color and highlights. All in all I paid $140 for color, highlights and deep condition.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info. I might have to try that John Mitchell Pomade. I keep hearing good things about it.