Do-It-Yourself Hair Coloring

Tracy_W

I am considering coloring my hair, specifically only the top portion. I talked to my Dominican stylist about doing it and here is the process she described:

1. Bleach my hair :nono:

2. Rinse out the bleach

3. Blowdry my hair :perplexed

4. Add permanent color :eek:

I am really not interested in so much processing. Currently my hair is between APL and BSL and I don't want to see it all on the floor! Therefore, I think I will color my hair myself at home with Textures & Tones in Bronze. I don't want my entire hair colored, just highlights or the top portion.

Has anyone done this at home? What were your results? Any pictures?

Thanks in advance and wish me luck!

Ok, I get the bleach part, but I don't understand the blowout part:eek: As for the actual color, I would rather use a rinse than a permanant color. That's too much processing.

Also, to preserve your hair, I would stretch my relaxer out, do protein treatments and have no direct heat.

She explained that the blowdrying was simply to dry the hair to prepare for the permanent color, not to straighten. Either way, that's a bit too much for me.

ARE YOU GOING LIGHTER? IF SO I WOULD BE CAREFUL...LIGHTENING YOUR HAIR DOES MORE DAMAGE THAN DARKENING IT. IT DEPENDS IF YOU THINK YOUR HAIR CAN HANDLE IT. MY HAIR CAN HANDLE DARRKER COLORS BUT ONCE I TRIED HIGHLIGHTS AND THE HIGHLIGHTED HAIR WAS SNAPPIN OFF LEFT AND RIGHT. I COLOR AT HOM BUT ITS TO DARKEN MY HAIR BECAUSE I HATE MY LIGHT HAIR.

If you do color it i would follow with a good DC. I usually color rinse then leave ORS Replenish Pak on my hair anywhere from 2-3 hours and i'm good to go. :) Sorry about the All CAPS in the 1st paragraph...by the time I realized I was too lazy to retype all that LOL!

I have- I started using more protein and DC-ed 2ce in the week leading up to my colour; then used Clairol's Textures & Tones Bronze I put loreal proffesional equalizer on and applied the colour to my hair. I rinsed out washed with shampoo used Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and followed up with the conditioner in the box. It's about a week later and I've got a medium brown colour (not as light as I wanted it) but I likey. Ok this is the shade I got http://public.fotki.com/blondambition/colour-/dsc00095.html Check out Ambitious fotki she used the same on relaxed hair HTH

hothair said:
I have- I started using more protein and DC-ed 2ce in the week leading up to my colour; then used Clairol's Textures & Tones Bronze I put loreal proffesional equalizer on and applied the colour to my hair. I rinsed out washed with shampoo used Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and followed up with the conditioner in the box. It's about a week later and I've got a medium brown colour (not as light as I wanted it) but I likey. Ok this is the shade I got http://public.fotki.com/blondambition/colour-/dsc00095.html Check out Ambitious fotki she used the same on relaxed hair HTH

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted to see and know. If you could do it over again, would you have used a lighter color? I'm also considering the T&T Honey Blonde without the color booster. I did that a few years ago and really liked it.

Also, did you use the color all over or just in sections?

please don't bleach your hair!! that is very damaging, and then to go and follow with permanant color? i feel that is unnecessary. how many levels are you looking to lift? just a permanent coloring alone will lift your hair up to three levels i think. if it's a significant color lift you are going for, use a higher developer.

if you did bleach, then you wouldn't need to go and put in perm color. a semi-perm would do fine. they can't lift on their own, but if you have already bleached then your hair will be ready to take the color.

But I would probably do the perm color method alone.

FlawedBeauty said:
ARE YOU GOING LIGHTER? IF SO I WOULD BE CAREFUL...LIGHTENING YOUR HAIR DOES MORE DAMAGE THAN DARKENING IT. IT DEPENDS IF YOU THINK YOUR HAIR CAN HANDLE IT. MY HAIR CAN HANDLE DARRKER COLORS BUT ONCE I TRIED HIGHLIGHTS AND THE HIGHLIGHTED HAIR WAS SNAPPIN OFF LEFT AND RIGHT. I COLOR AT HOM BUT ITS TO DARKEN MY HAIR BECAUSE I HATE MY LIGHT HAIR.

If you do color it i would follow with a good DC. I usually color rinse then leave ORS Replenish Pak on my hair anywhere from 2-3 hours and i'm good to go. :) Sorry about the All CAPS in the 1st paragraph...by the time I realized I was too lazy to retype all that LOL!

I am definitely going lighter because my hair is already dark brown. Currently, my hair is very healthy and I DC weekly. I'll be mindful to use extra conditioning right after the process.

Thanks!

hOnii said:
please don't bleach your hair!! that is very damaging, and then to go and follow with permanant color? i feel that is unnecessary. how many levels are you looking to lift? just a permanent coloring alone will lift your hair up to three levels i think. if it's a significant color lift you are going for, use a higher developer.

if you did bleach, then you wouldn't need to go and put in perm color. a semi-perm would do fine. they can't lift on their own, but if you have already bleached then your hair will be ready to take the color.

But I would probably do the perm color method alone.

I definitely am NOT bleaching my hair. I believe that the permanent color alone will be enough. I was quoting the stylist who is obviously delusional!

Thanks!

That is why I swear by highlights! Aveda at that.

Someone else on here mentioned that exact same hair color (T&T Bronze)and how it broke their hair off. Do a search for it.

I thought about using it for a hot minute after seeing how Ambitious (?) used it for so long with great results. But then I read that other post and thought to stick to Aveda.

I have no problems with Aveda hair color (in terms of breakage, dryness, etc.). Also, it is easier to grow out hightlights than a full blown color as it looks more natural (foil highlights that is) where they blend it in at the salon.

Tracy_W said:
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted to see and know. If you could do it over again, would you have used a lighter color? I'm also considering the T&T Honey Blonde without the color booster. I did that a few years ago and really liked it.

Well honestly I DO want it lighter but a colourist friend of mine has said it's better to lighten my hair in stages (I was the bleach queen :nono:) so the next time - in about 3 months - i'll use a lighter loreal preference colour. I had my hair in about five sections and worked from the inside out (middle of my head to the edges) My roots were darker so I started there and put it on the rest of my hair - but start with the darkest part of your own hair the roots process quicker cause of the heat from your scalp HTH

Tracy_W said:

I wanna dye my hair too with T&T Honey Blonde. But why would you leave out the color booster? I tought that it helps achieve the color you want. I really don't know anything about coloring that's why I'm waiting to go through with it.

april shower said:
I wanna dye my hair too with T&T Honey Blonde. But why would you leave out the color booster? I tought that it helps achieve the color you want. I really don't know anything about coloring that's why I'm waiting to go through with it.

I actually think I will use Honey Blonde this time. I leave out the color booster because it made my hair too light. I had the perfect color without it. Just a personal preference.

MY hair works great with texture&tones.

When I wanted highlights, I pulled my hair through a highlight cap and only apppied the T&T to that. Pics in my fotki... I have different rinses at different times hence the different colors :look:

MsDee4 said:
MY hair works great with texture&tones.

When I wanted highlights, I pulled my hair through a highlight cap and only apppied the T&T to that. Pics in my fotki... I have different rinses at different times hence the different colors :look:

Great color! Did you lose any hair pulling through the cap? Which color T&T did you use?

Tracy_W said:
Great color! Did you lose any hair pulling through the cap? Which color T&T did you use?

nope I didn't lose hair pulling through the cap. Your hair needs to be strong enought to withstand the cap to withstand the coloring process...

Besides my best friend was realllllllly gentle doing it for me, because I didn't have to coordination to look and pull it out through the tiny hole myself :lol:

depends on the pic... I've used the Bronze and the Honey Blond though.. sad to say can't remember which ones at which times... but I use rinses a lot

I would only recommend professional mix it yourself dyes. They add additional chemicals to box dye kits for a longer shelf life that are drying.

I used to streak my hair when it was relaxed. The first time the hair dresser did it and my hair broke off. Every additional time I did it and I had no problems.

1. I used BW2 powder bleach with 30 developer. Be careful because Bw2 lifts quick so you don't need to leave it on too long.

2. Then I would use a semi permanent like ClairolBeautiful Collection. It would wash out in about 4 washes. If you want a long lasting semi permanent I would use color charm by Wella. Its the same as presentations back in the day.

3. If you had your heart set on permanent color I would use the temp rinse for three weeks then color.

Back