From Bald to Bodacious 3yrs and 9mos 4b natural!

MissAlinaRose

I finally learned how to multi-quote because I'm slow! lol Anyhoo...

I hope I get to where your at in 3/4 years. I shaved my head also on Nov 8th as my BC. Its only been a month but I'm hanging in there.

Congrats at the beautiful hair and growth!

You will get there in no time trust me!!

:lol:

Hello Ms. Nelle, my lovely Fotkian!
:wave:

i actually stalked your fotki after looking at you siggy :look: i was excited to see this post. such inspiration. i love that you wore your hair out and enjoyed it

Thank you so much! I appreciate it. Protective styling is great, but I think I missed opportunities to really enjoy my hair. So I just try to tell those on their growing out journey that it is ok to enjoy it and experiment on some days. To be honest my loose hair and "protected" hair retained length about the same.

Gorgeous! Good job. And I just love kiss hair techniques.
Works every time!

Just read your blog post. The dread method is exactly what I do. My hair is always braided up in one way or another (though not in twists. Curious as to how you're able to keep twists in for three weeks!) and only recently did I turn to a weave for a change up. That was after I was almost waist length and now after waist length. BUT for two years straight this was my tried and true method keeping it braided up for 3-4 weeks, occasionally rinsing the braids (or putting dabbing and cleaning the scalp). And it is always my go to method. If you make sure to use detangling stuff when you take down your hair (I have to at least) then it's really an easy laid back way of achieving your goals.

Tips on twists though as I'd love to switch this up and practice for the summer because twisting my hair every day is a no no. I have tons of strands but they're fine (and kinky) so I've found that my fine hair does not like too much manipulation. Maybe with your tips I'll get from whip (btw waist and hip) length to my final goal of tbl or classic while trying out a new style (w/o a setback)!

When I tell people about the "dread method" they shrink back in fear lol. But when I explain it's like "ohhh." What's funny is a lot of people do this method but some may leave their braids, twists, weaves, etc. in for too long and lose a lot of hair in the detangling process.

As far as twists go, I have not worn twists for three weeks in a good two years. The last time I actually wore twists, it was the beginning of this year and it only lasted four days :lol:. But I will say this, I wouldn't recommend leaving in twists for too long. Some of my hair issues of drying, matting, and tangling were because of leaving in twists and not detangling often enough. I just hated when the ends of my hair would stick together. That was one of my issues.

Good luck with classic length!! I can't wait to see

Love the blow out :yep: Do you use sulphur or any type of growth aid?

No ma'am I have never tried one.

MissAlinaRose

Thank You! So you don't do the whole sealing thing with an oil or butter?

No ma'am. I used to do it but started to hate how greasy my fingers were. I was leaving greasy residue on everything and at that point I just stopped :lol:

But I found out that it really didn't make much of a difference for me.

Wow, get out, your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! I probably had at least 10 inches of hair when you shaved yours off and my hair is nowhere near your length and lushness! Congratulations!!! And by the way you look cute in every stage of your hair growth!

I'm sure you'll retain every inch you want madam! Thank you for the lovely comment.

@MissAlinaRose looks like we both have the exact same texture but if I do a twist out, I look quite mad. Can you please tell me how you achieved the Oct 3, 2011 stretched twist out? I'm APL I think. TIA :)

BTW, beautiful, beautiful hair!

Oh yes! I actually wrote a thorough post on my blog about my stretched twist out method here

Essentially this is all I do:
1. twist my hair in regular two-strand twists using a non-alcohol gel
2. braid up my twists and let them dry fully
3. Take them out and enjoy!
AMAZING! Love, love, love your hair, at every stage. :love:

:notworthy Oh my I am not worthy!! Your Fotki was one of the many that inspired me early on.

Got-dam!, that's pretty, you have the same texture as me, i can only hope to get to the same length soon

I am sure you will be there in no time!

I love what you said here! This is my philosophy too. Grow it, wear it out, and enjoy it.:yep:

Amen! Simplicity is the gift that keeps on giving. I say all the time that I put my relaxed hair through HELL, but I still had hair on my head. If that was the case back then I know I can enjoy my natural hair and not worry. I know that I'm not going to do anything crazy like abuse my hair with heat every.single.day like I did pre-fade. I don't have anything against heat or manipulation but moderation is a friend.

Your hair is gorgeous. You are such an inspiration. I like that you have fun with your hair and once I get more length, my plan is to have a similar regimen to yours. I don't know why this has made me so happy this morning.

Aww thank you! Your post made me smile too.

I have a few things to say about this post.
(My responses in red)
1) Your hair is ridiculously gorgeous! Thank you

2) That blow out pic from January.....:love: Aww Thanks

3) How in the Hayle have I not seen your Fotki until now? :lol:

and lastly great progress. You are definitely one of my new hair inspirations!!!

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing it inspires me there is light at the end of the tunnel! Love how your reggie is so simple and to the point I think many of us at one time have fallen victim to "over doing it" I am going to follow your blog for sure thanks again just beautiful hair,love it sho feels good to have black hair!

I think it is only natural to experiment especially early on in the hair journey. However, I had to take the advice and hair tips and scale it back to fit my needs. It has been smooth sailing every since!

Absolutely GORGEOUS hair and amazing progress! I :notworthy: to your hair. I'm going to have to try that stretched twist out method. Your hair looks great in that twist out :love2:

Great! I want to see whenever you do it.

Your hair is beyond beautiful and you're cute as a button!

Omgoodness I love your Fotki!

Garner

GIRL....Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the simplicity of your regimen and the fact you offer a switch from wearing protective styles most of the time. :) How often are you using heat? Thanks for sharing.

morehairplease

Awesome, awesome progress sweetie! I big chopped in Nov. to a bald fade and have my fingers crossed to be where you are in 3+ years.

Last edited:

MissAlinaRose

GIRL....Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the simplicity of your regimen and the fact you offer a switch from wearing protective styles most of the time. :) How often are you using heat? Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!! As far as heat, I am very sporadic with it. I think I have straightened my hair 4 times this year. I think. It could be 3 times, but at any rate it is not very often. My straightening skills, as you can see, is busted!

I am going on a heat fast for 2012 so I may get one more chance at it for New Year's Eve.

Wow, you have some gorgeous hair! Your ends look awesome as well...how often do you trim?

Thank you ma'am!

I trim maybe every 3-4 months or whenever I decide to straighten. Last time I straightened I chopped nearly 2inches because I didn't know what I was doing :blush: But, every couple of weeks or so I may do a search and destroy mission (for splits or knots) to keep myself in check.

BananaClipQueen

Now that u are wearing your hair out almost everyday, how long do you leave your twists in before you take them down for your twist out?

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using T-Mobile G1

luckiestdestiny

I finally learned how to multi-quote because I'm slow! lol Anyhoo...

You will get there in no time trust me!!

:lol:

Hello Ms. Nelle, my lovely Fotkian!
:wave:

Thank you so much! I appreciate it. Protective styling is great, but I think I missed opportunities to really enjoy my hair. So I just try to tell those on their growing out journey that it is ok to enjoy it and experiment on some days. To be honest my loose hair and "protected" hair retained length about the same.

Works every time!

When I tell people about the "dread method" they shrink back in fear lol. But when I explain it's like "ohhh." What's funny is a lot of people do this method but some may leave their braids, twists, weaves, etc. in for too long and lose a lot of hair in the detangling process.

As far as twists go, I have not worn twists for three weeks in a good two years. The last time I actually wore twists, it was the beginning of this year and it only lasted four days :lol:. But I will say this, I wouldn't recommend leaving in twists for too long. Some of my hair issues of drying, matting, and tangling were because of leaving in twists and not detangling often enough. I just hated when the ends of my hair would stick together. That was one of my issues.

Good luck with classic length!! I can't wait to see

No ma'am I have never tried one.

See now that was why I was afraid of trying it. I thought maybe you had a magical solution:look:...but alas back to what I know best. I do agree that you have to leave them in as long as possible but also not long enough to matt (and I love my detangling spray and product for sure to help me get them out). BUT it's a bonafide way of growing the hair without problems (dread method love the name btw)