Dominican salons: Fine-haired ladies come in here, please

Artemis

I know that some ladies really like going to the Dominican salons to get their hair done, but I was wondering how many of the fine-haired ladies go, and how often. My hair is pretty fragile, and I don't want them to rip all my hard work out, y'know. I've seen Kinikakes' hair (which is gorgeous, btw), but are there any other ladies with fine strands that frequent Dom. salons?

So:
1) How often do you go?
2) What services do you get?
3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair?
4) How long have you been going?
5) How long is your hair?

TIA

JewelleNY

If you have fine hair I wouldn't recommend going, they ripped my hair right on out:( The stylist even commented as she was blowdrying that my hair was pulling right out and she stopped. My gf has had the same experience.

darkempress

1) How often do you go? ONCE A MONTH OR WHENEVER I WANT TO WEAR MY HAIR DOWN.
2) What services do you get? WASH AND SET. AND I DEEP CONDITION AS WELL.
3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? NO BREAKAGE.
4) How long have you been going? 1 YEAR
5) How long is your hair? NECK LENGTH, HAD A CUT TO MY EAR IN NOVEMBER BY MY STYLIST.

*Frisky*

I have fine hair and I had my first blow out done last month...I was definitely nervous. I asked her not to make the dryer so hot. I loved the results but I know I couldnt get it done often. I didn't experience any breakage but due to the fact that I am basically trying to stop using heat period, so it wouldn't work for me. I MIGHT get a blow once or twice a year. I am about 2inches from the bottom of brastrap...

Last edited:

Artemis

darkempress said:
1) How often do you go? ONCE A MONTH OR WHENEVER I WANT TO WEAR MY HAIR DOWN.
2) What services do you get? WASH AND SET. AND I DEEP CONDITION AS WELL.
3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? NO BREAKAGE.
4) How long have you been going? 1 YEAR
5) How long is your hair? NECK LENGTH, HAD A CUT TO MY EAR IN NOVEMBER BY MY STYLIST.

Thanks...Just curious: Any particular reason why the stylist cut your hair?

darkempress

I WANTED TO HAVE IT CUT, I WASNT KEEPING UP WITH MY TRIMS AND SO AS A RESULT OF THAT I HAD SOME DEAD ENDS. PLUS I'M ALSO LIKE OBSESSED WITH HAVING VERY BLUNT ENDS:). BUT I ALWAYS HAVE 1 PERSON THAT I GO TO THAT DOES MY HAIR, B/C I HATE TO HAVE LIKE 10 DIFFERENT PPL IN MY HAIR, AND THEY HAVE A HABIT OF DOING THAT. BUT MY EXPERIENCE IS ALWAYS GOOD WHEN I GO TO VISIT HER. EVERYONE'S EXPERIENCE IS DIFFERENT, SO I GUESS I'VE JUST GOTTEN REALLY LUCKY:D

Artemis

Ok, cool! Yeah I couldn't stand being passed on from person to person...

Something in my gut is just telling me that there aren't enough protein treatments in the world that could make up for some lady ripping my hair out, when there's no need. *anxiety setting in*

Thanks ladies!

Anyone else? :look:

glamazon386

I used to go every once in a blue moon and I never had any problems. My gf is from NY and is down here for school and goes faithfully every 2 weeks. Her fine hair has never grown as much until she started going to the Dom Salons. She only gets her roots blown though.

mellowdee9

When I was going I brought in my own detangling products -- keracare hydrating detangling shampoo and the keracare setting product, which also said it was detangling. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but I did and she took $5 off my bill (I also brought in my own conditioner). Also, I wouldn't have a blow out done and would get a doobie or just get the rollers taken out when it was dry. I wouldn't let them comb out the curls.

But that was when I was fully relaxed. The two times I've gone since being texlaxed it was a disaster and didn't get fully straight (once) and the 2nd time the woman didn't know how to shampoo my hair and tangled it all up. I haven't been back since. I would go back if I could find someone I trusted.

melodee

I had been going for a few years when relaxed and went every 3-5 weeks. It can definately thin out the hair b/c of the pulling with the brush and the high heat. I found that although the bounce and silkiness was beyond compare, my hair would suffer if I got full blowouts, or as the Dom stylists called it "straight".

Like bmore, I would recommend a roots only blowout unless it's a special occasion.

MonaLisa

1) How often do you go? USUALLY AROUND TOUCH UP TIME OR WHENEVER I WANT TO WEAR MY HAIR DOWN.

2) What services do you get? WASH AND SET AND I DEEP CONDITION AS WELL (BRING MY OWN PRODUCTS)

3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair?
I CANNOT GO ON A REGULAR BASIS OR MY HAIR STARTS TO GET JACKED UP/FUNKY ACTING..IT TOOK ME A MINUTE TO REALIZE THIS - GOING ON A REGULAR BASIS ACTUALLY WAS SETTING ME BACK AND I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT, TOO MUCH MANIPULATION WHEN I GO ON A REGUALAR BASIS. NOT GOING TO TREAT MY HAIR, LIKE I TREAT MY HAIR AT HOME.

4) How long have you been going? ON A MORE REGULAR BASIS SINCE 2004, LESS SO IN 2006, WILL CONTINUE TO GO LESS IN 2007 - I THINK MY HAIR WILL BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT (TOUCH UP TIME OR WHEN I WANT TO WEAR HAIR DOWN ONLY)

5) How long is your hair? BETWEEN SHOULDER LENGTH AND ARMPIT.

OneInAMillion

Good Questions. My strands are extremely fine as well.

1) How often do you go?
Every 2 weeks or so
My roots blown out ONLY!
They do a tighter rollerset, and I lose less hair during the rollerset when I go to them. I like that my hairdresser is very patient about that.
My entire relaxed life, which is 6 years. I had hair that was basically between shoulder and APL, but much thinner because I used to get full blowouts. Last year was the first year I started getting the roots blown only and I see a dramatic difference in the thickness of my hair. I'm also retaining length faster.
APL...hopefully will be BSL by summer ;)

Hope that helps

KathyMay

1) How often do you go? I try to go twice a year yeah that is ittoo much heatfor me to go every month
2) What services do you get? A blowout
3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? I don't have much breakage I think it is my hair that sheds because of the heat, I dont use heat at home just at the salon
4) How long have you been going? off and on for 4 years
5) How long is your hair? shoulder length

Artemis

Thanks ladies...looks like from the majority, I'd do better to just take my chances at home:lol: My lil' bit o' hair doesn't need any setbacks, haha.

Miss_Jetsetter

I LOVE my Dominican salon. I always have good results, IMO. The key is that I never allow them to blowdry my hair with that hot blowdryer. I did that before and it KILLED my hair :( But to answer your questions:

1) How often do you go?
Every other Friday

Wash, treatment (Silicon Mix) and a rollerset

I experience a lot less because they women i go to are fast and seem to know what they are doing. when I rollerset my own hair I sometimes have a hard time placing the pins and as a result I wind up having breakage.

For around 2 years now

I recently cut it to necklength (see siggy)

buttaflye03

I just want to point out that you don't HAVE to get a blowout just because you're at a Dominican Salon. Have them rollerset your hair and wrap it or wear it out. Being fine haired should not be a problem at all. I didn't even realize that this would be an issue. I love going to them because they really take care of my hair.

1) How often do you go? About once a week or every two weeks.
2) What services do you get? Wash and Set and always with a deep conditiong treatment. Afterwards they just wrap my hair with pins. If I have a lot of new growth, I might ask them to blow out the roots only and then wrap. I also get my touch-ups there, a color rinse when I feel like it, and trims once in awhile (but only my fave girl does that).
3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? If there is any, it's probably much less when they do it.
4) How long have you been going? Hmmm..I guess about 4 or 5 years now.
5) How long is your hair? APL and growing!

Last edited:

InJesusName

I WISH I could find a decent Dominican Salon in my area. I have visited three (the only ones I could find) since joining LHCF)

1) did not texlax me properly and she blew me out and flat ironed my hair--it was very straight and silky, but had no body at all--she never used the rollers--just the brush and blow dryer (kinda like a white salon)

2) The second lady did use rollers but insisted that I get a relaxer. When I told her I did not want one, she said I should relax every four weeks :eek: . I also noticed that even though the women in her shop had long hair, their ends were see through--I THINK NOT!

3) The latest one I visited did not complain about my hair texture, but she did not know how to handle it either-she combed my hair out with a rat tail comb and she did not pull the rollers very tight when she set my hair, so it was frizzy. I have done better roller sets at home.

I gave up on Dominican salons. It must be a northern thing because I have not been impressed in NC.

KiniKakes

Thanks for the compliment OP!!! :) Not sure how i missed this thread! Two things i love to talk about: Dominican Salons and working with Fine Hair!

1) How often do you go? I go once per week

2) What services do you get? I get a wash, DC, roller st, then the roots ONLY blown out. I leave with it down.... they offer to wrap it, but i stopped wrapping years ago (due to thinning on one side), and plus they use a hard brush to wrap, and thats not good for my fine strands!

3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? I get far less breakage when I come here, because of the way they detangle. They only comb right after washing when its soaking wet, and they saturate my hair with the Nacidit Aceit de Oliva Rinse, which makes the wide tooth comb glide right through the hair effortlessly! Then they rinse out the Rinse, and put in the Deep Conditioner. I sit under the dryer for like 15 minutes, then they rinse that out and i get the rollerset. By this point, my hair is tangle free and i lost only minimal hair.

4) How long have you been going? Six years!!! Sisters Unisex Salon in downtown Brooklyn! I love them!

5) How long is your hair? BSL :)

Artemis

Yay! I'm glad you found it! I was hoping you'd drop by. Got a few questions for ya...

How do you wear your hair for bed?
Do you let the stylist trim? How often?
What do they use when they're blowing out your roots? A round brush? High heat??

Thanks, girl :)

KiniKakes said:
Thanks for the compliment OP!!! :) Not sure how i missed this thread! Two things i love to talk about: Dominican Salons and working with Fine Hair!

1) How often do you go? I go once per week

2) What services do you get? I get a wash, DC, roller st, then the roots ONLY blown out. I leave with it down.... they offer to wrap it, but i stopped wrapping years ago (due to thinning on one side), and plus they use a hard brush to wrap, and thats not good for my fine strands!

3) How does the breakage (if any) compare in the salon to when you do your own hair? I get far less breakage when I come here, because of the way they detangle. They only comb right after washing when its soaking wet, and they saturate my hair with the Nacidit Aceit de Oliva Rinse, which makes the wide tooth comb glide right through the hair effortlessly! Then they rinse out the Rinse, and put in the Deep Conditioner. I sit under the dryer for like 15 minutes, then they rinse that out and i get the rollerset. By this point, my hair is tangle free and i lost only minimal hair.

4) How long have you been going? Six years!!! Sisters Unisex Salon in downtown Brooklyn! I love them!

5) How long is your hair? BSL :)

KiniKakes

artemis_e. said:
Yay! I'm glad you found it! I was hoping you'd drop by. Got a few questions for ya...

How do you wear your hair for bed?
Do you let the stylist trim? How often?
What do they use when they're blowing out your roots? A round brush? High heat??

Thanks, girl :)

Im glad i found it too!!!! :D

At night i either wear a loose bun with a satin bonnet..... or if im feeling ambitious i may pincurl it, then wear a satin bonnet. But usually the former. The bun i secure with bobbi pins or a twisty thingy.

I dont EVER "trim." I only dust. And i let the stylist dust maybe once or twice per year, depending on if i feel like i need it. In between professional dustings, i may "search and destroy" on my own, if need be!

When they blow out the roots of my hair they usually use a fine-toothed comb, and the heat is VERY high!

HTH!!!!! ;)

Qetesh

I used to get Dom blow outs every 2 months and I feel it can thin your hair out over time, I noticed some thinning on my hair I have a lot of hand strands but the stands themselves are of a med-thin width I noticed that there was a bit of thinning out and also when I get it done I feel my hair is too straight just IMO because I like the body only I want the shine I get from Dom blow out but with the body I get when I do my hair myself, so basically I have a dilemma.

Artemis

Thanks, ladies! :)

I tried to do my own "dominican" styling yesterday, and let me just say that I don't think I could go to them b/c I got my blow dryer so hot on those roots of mine, I think I burned myself :perplexed I can only imagine what it'd be like for someone else to do it...they wouldn't be able to feel my pain, y'know?

I'm so sore now...

I think I'll just settle for the leisurely rollerset and a simple flat iron afterwards. I've figured out how to (normal) blowdry and flat iron (using lower temps) without damage...so perhaps I'll just stick to what I know--leave all that "new-fangled" stuff to the pros :lol: