Fine Haired & Washing

Aspire

I have VERY fine hair with a LOT of it on my head. I use poo once/month to clarify. Ayurveda 1/week, and co-wash 1-2/week. It was difficult to find the right co-washer though - I rotate between Suave Humectant (moisture) and Rusk Calm conditioner (protein). The only difficult thing about co-washing is my NG. I am learning to not comb it in between, but it is truly a challenge. I also DC when I Ayurveda. I am still a newbie though and firming up my regimen, but this method is working well for me so far.

honeisos

I dont seal either . whatever i finish my hair with on wash day is it . i will butter my ends every other day . but all that oil just weighs my hair down . the old con is great . but i dont know about the new stuff . i like tj and organix poos . but there a so many sls free poo to choose from these days .

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Gymfreak- give up the goods:lol:...what are you doing??? how does your hair stay moisturize until the next wash???

Truth be told, my hair doesn't really get dry anymore. Before, two days after washing, my hair would feel like tumbleweed but now I don't really add anything to my hair between washes. The most I will do is a couple of drops of oil just to refresh my look. I think my protien intenstive regime is the reason I don't have to do it anymore.

msa

I wash once a week (or whenever my scalp feels dirty) with conditioner mixed with baking soda. The rest of the week I rinse my hair in the shower if I feel like it, that could be every day or not at all.

cubanit

Truth be told, my hair doesn't really get dry anymore. Before, two days after washing, my hair would feel like tumbleweed but now I don't really add anything to my hair between washes. The most I will do is a couple of drops of oil just to refresh my look. I think my protien intenstive regime is the reason I don't have to do it anymore.
iM WITH YOU GYMFREAK. I REALLY DONT MOISTERIZE EITHER. I MIGHT USE A LITTLE JOOBA EVERY NOW AND AGAIN FOR A LITTLE SHEEN BUT THAT PROTEIN DOES THE TRICK FOR ME. IM THINKING OF STEPPING UOP TO TWICE PER WEEK.

CHECKMATE!

I only moisture and seal after I cowash,which is once a week :yep:....my hair is in aloose bun most of the time,so when I remember I apply a small amount of cantu to the ends,then coconut oil:yep:

Aggie

I used to wash my hair about 3 times per week but because my hair is fine and I am relaxed, I have reduced it to no more than once per week to decrease manipulation and breakage. Now that I'm in braids, I wash every 10-14 days. This is working out way better for me this way:yep:.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I wash twice a week: once with a Dr. Bronner's mix, and once with conditioner. I DC before or after every wash or co-wash. And my hair loves protein, so I make sure to incorporate a lot of protein conditioners or DCs.

I was nervous about doing co-washes on my fine hair, but I've found that the nettle tea rinses that I finish with keep my hair from becoming greasy. The nettle acts as an astringent, so my scalp stays healthy and my hair doesn't become weighed down. I LOVE the nettle rinses. :grin:

Today, I was due for a shampoo, but I decided to just co-wash instead, and my hair feels great! I DC'd overnight with AO HSR mixed with Coconut Amla oil (that Global Goddess stuff), then co-washed with diluted Mane n Tail, then I did a quick protein treatment with the Lustrasilk Shea Butter & Mango cholesterol. My hair feels all light and fluffy, and perfectly moisturized.

Nefertiti0906

I believe my hair strands are fine, I just have a lot of hair so it appears thick. I co-wash about 3 or 4 times per week and I love it, but the problem with me is that I have to sometimes switch up between a co-wash that has protein and one that has no protein (even though I do protein treatments every 2 weeks). If I co-wash with a conditioner that has protein all the time my hair wille end up feeling stiff and unelastic, but if I do moisturizing all the time my hair actually won't retain the moisture I put in. I think that fine hair quickly loses it's protein/moisture balance. Not 100% sure of that, though.

Maybe that's why my hair never seems to act right.

I also have fine hair. I have noticed that my hair likes water. I have to wash it at least once a week to keep it looking good...

I've been CWing every other day with Pantene's R&N condish and my luvs it, but I wash at least once a week with shampoo or as needed.

I just bought Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Pure Castile Soap; I'm going to use it as my shampoo and see how it goes...

msa

Yea I have organix but it feels stripping to me despite being sulfate free. Only one I know that doesnt is CON

Does the organix have olefin sulfonate? It's an alternative surfactant used in many "natural" shampoos. But it tends to be just as stripping as regular sulfates.

I just bought Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Pure Castile Soap; I'm going to use it as my shampoo and see how it goes...

You should dilute it with water. The baby castile is more mild than the others, but it's still drying for me.

MummysGirl

I have fine hair, I cowash 4 times a week and my hair is doing well with it. I just try to make sure I have my moisture-protein balance in check.

JusticeMe

I have fine hair as well, and I typically don't shampoo unless I'm doing something different, like henna-ing or if i have buildup which is hardly ever. I used to wash (S & C) my hair every friday or saturday about two years ago, but now I cowash about every 5 days or so, when I need to change my hairstyle from a rod set to flat iron or when my hair no longer has body. My rod sets only seem to last 4 days.

Eluv

Until recently I washed and DC only on Saturday.

Now I rush home after work to co-wash before applying my MT/OCT.

Now that I've been very observant of my hair, for me I do not think washing or co-washing is a problem for fine hair ladies. I think its how we handle our hair while it's wet.

I've discovered that I only lose about 2-3 strands of hair when I detangle with conditioner before I rinse. Oh and my denman brush is standing in the unemployment line.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Fine hair checking in. I shampoo or co-wash once a week. If I'm using heat which is rare it is every 2 weeks. I don't think fine hair can take the manipulation of frequent washing.

Desarae

Fine hair here.

I shampoo and DC 2x a week or every 4 days. I don't really moisturize or seal. If my hair is in a curly set or braid/twistout, i'll put some coconut oil on it every other day. My hair really doesen't dry out (when I don't use heat) because if it starts feeling dry, it's usually time to wash and DC again.

When I flat iron I only wear it for a day or two, then i'll co wash (the only time I cowash is after heat styling) and do braid/twistout.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Fine hair checking in. I shampoo or co-wash once a week. If I'm using heat which is rare it is every 2 weeks. I don't think fine hair can take the manipulation of frequent washing.

I agree but I think it's the technique one may use.

I actually soak my hair in warm water first, apply product and "gently" squeeze it through my hair from root to tip and let it sit for a bit then rinse as opposed to vigorous scrubbing or moving the hair around.

I don't use a lot of product so my hair is never dirty or overburdened with product so basically I'm using water and conditioner to moisturize daily.

It has really made a positive difference in my hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I agree but I think it's the technique one may use.

I actually soak my hair in warm water first, apply product and "gently" squeeze it through my hair from root to tip and let it sit for a bit then rinse as opposed to vigorous scrubbing or moving the hair around.

I don't use a lot of product so my hair is never dirty or overburdened with product so basically I'm using water and conditioner to moisturize daily.

It has really made a positive difference in my hair.
I'm actually speaking more about the combing/detangling process......the scrubbing dosen't bother me. Some can run conditioner and rinse w/o ever having to comb but I haven't got that down yet and don't plan to because my hair would be a hot mess for sure. I have to detangle and if I did that more than once a week with my length and natural hair I would suffer breakage and more hair loss than necessary. I actually don't have any need to do it more frequent because my hair isn't even close to being dirty but that's just my view. I just use great moisturizers daily to keep my hair moisturized.

Glad it works for you though. If it's benefited your hair definitely keep doing it.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm actually speaking more about the combing/detangling process......the scrubbing dosen't bother me. Some can run conditioner and rinse w/o ever having to comb but I haven't got that down yet and don't plan to because my hair would be a hot mess for sure. I have to detangle and if I did that more than once a week with my length and natural hair I would suffer breakage and more hair loss than necessary. I actually don't have any need to do it more frequent because my hair isn't even close to being dirty but that's just my view. I just use great moisturizers daily to keep my hair moisturized.

Glad it works for you though. If it's benefited your hair definitely keep doing it.

Well you do have way more hair on your head than I do, so I can see detangling being an issue. I sure would like to have a detangling issue but alas, I don't ***le sigh*** :lachen:

Bachelorette

Does the organix have olefin sulfonate? It's an alternative surfactant used in many "natural" shampoos. But it tends to be just as stripping as regular sulfates.

Thanks msa. I will check it for that ingredient. Never knew of that one in shampoos. (I should be ashamed of myself as a chemist). what shampoo do you use btw that you love and very moisturizing?

darlingdiva

I'm a fine-haired natural & I wash my hair every two weeks. I put Aubrey's GPB on my dry hair & sit under a heating cap for 15 minutes. Then, while the GPB is still in my hair, I shampoo w/ Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo. The only time I don't put conditioner in my hair before I shampoo is when I clarify.

In terms of moisturizing and sealing, I don't seal after I moisturize b/c I don't find the need to do so. I moisturize my hair w/ the Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream. Before I do my twist-outs, I spray my hair w/ JC Leave-In & then apply the JC Hair Cream. After I've worn my twist-outs for two days, I detangle my hair and apply the JC Leave-In & a generous amount of the JC Hair Cream. Then I braid my hair. Then I wear my wig until wash day comes again, and my hair stays moisturized the whole time--and I work out five days a week for an hour.

I think my hair stays moisturized b/c of the protein. When I avoided protein like the plague & drowned my hair in moisture, it was so hard to keep my hair moisturized.

msa

Thanks msa. I will check it for that ingredient. Never knew of that one in shampoos. (I should be ashamed of myself as a chemist). what shampoo do you use btw that you love and very moisturizing?

I don't use shampoo. I also don't use any products that cause build up and I rinse my hair in the shower throughout the week.

When I find that my scalp needs cleansing I just add baking soda to my conditioner.

Nefertiti0906

If you don't mind, could you please share your protein intensive regimen?

You should dilute it with water. The baby castile is more mild than the others, but it's still drying for me.

I had the bar and I slathered it all over my head :nono:, next time I'll try less

morehairplease

I have fine hair and lately have been washing it three times a week. This has proven to be a bit too much for my strands and I plan to only wash/dc twice a week. If I go longer than 2/3 days without washing my hair my scalp gets really tender. In 2006, I was diagnosed as having seborrheic dermatitis and my hair went from fine/thick to fine/thin in a matter of months(the treatments prescribed by my dermatologist were too harsh for my hair but they worked and at the time I would have done anything for some relief).