Fine Haired & Washing

newflowers

the times you dont DC, what do you wash with? Do you use shampoo both times in the week?

I shampoo with phytojoba shampoo both times of the week. Once a month or so, I shampoo with phytoneutre because it's an excellent clarifying shampoo. I recently used, for the first time, phytospecific intense nutrition shampoo - this is good stuff. So now these are the three shampoos in my arsenal. Phytojoba has been a favorite for many years because my hair feels silky and smooth in the rinse and only gets better when I condition. Dryness and tangles are nonexistent issues for me.

*Muffin*

What are some of your fav protein cowash conditioners? I've read in some of your posts that you like Giovanni SAS. Are there any others?

I like Aubrey Organics Island Naturals conditioner. Makes my hair really soft but strong in only a minute or two of conditioning. I also like the GPB conditioner for DC'ing. I haven't tried it as a co-wash yet, but I will in the future.

*Muffin*

In the bolded...I believe this to be true as well! This is our biggest hurdle to overcome. Too much and too little will cause breakage instantly.

Yeah, any little thing I do to my hair affects it. If I use a tad too much protein one week, my hair feels rough and crunchy and wants to break, but if I try to stay away from protein it will stop retaining moisture, feels soggy when wet, and want to break as well! So I have to alternate between conditioners with protein and conditioners without it.

Last edited:

fyb87

I'm natural and I co-wash twice a week and shampoo at the most once a month. I also try to use natural products as much as possible or I use products that only have one or two (max) silicones.

Bachelorette

Im a fine haired girl. I wash once a week with WEN. I have yet to find a shampoo that I like for my hair that wont cause it to tangle or feel weird...I use protein depending on my hair needs normally 2-3 times a month. My protein treatment of choice is nexxus Emergencee.

Thanks

so I guess you dont oil/moisturize often in the week?

gymfreak336

How often do the fine haired ladies here wash their hair? I know many people say co-washing isnt recommended for those with fine hair so those who wash more than once a week, do you use shampoo each time or what?
I wash once a week and im thinking of increasing to twice a week.

I wash my hair twice a week. Cowashing didn't do it for me either. It felt great at first but over time caused me damage. The closest thing I can get to to cowashing is wen and I have to use protein once a week with it.

Right now I am using naked naturals citrus shampoo or joico kpak shampoo. I rinse my hair for a full 5 minutes before adding any shampoo. I then apply the shampoo in little dabs as close to my scalp as possible. I work in sections to make sure the lather is concentrated on my scalp. I only lather up once.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I wash twice a week, both times using a sulfate free shampoo and then deep conditioning under the dryer for an hour
I'm switching to once a week for a few weeks though, just to test it out and see how my hair likes it.
Once a week, I use a light to medium protein before dc'ing to make sure my hair latches on to all the moisture it can get

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I wash my hair twice a week. Cowashing didn't do it for me either. It felt great at first but over time caused me damage. The closest thing I can get to to cowashing is wen and I have to use protein once a week with it.
Right now I am using naked naturals citrus shampoo or joico kpak shampoo. I rinse my hair for a full 5 minutes before adding any shampoo. I then apply the shampoo in little dabs as close to my scalp as possible. I work in sections to make sure the lather is concentrated on my scalp. I only lather up once.
Gym, is there a benefit to rinsing your hair for 5 mins before shampooing?

my1goodnerve

I co wash 2-3 times a week with Suave conditioner. On the weekends I shampoo with one of MyHoney Child's scalp cleansers. Right now I'm using the Sweet Honey Bee scalp exfoliator. After my shampoo I DC for an hour with heat. After both a co wash or a shampoo, I use hair milk and coconut oil and then I put it in a single braid and twist that into a bun. I tried the knock off version of Wen from Sally's a few weeks ago and I liked it, but it was only a trial size and I haven't gone back to get more yet.

gymfreak336

Gym, is there a benefit to rinsing your hair for 5 mins before shampooing?

It helps me control my scalp by making sure any oil and buildup is off before I shampoo. Since the hair is cleaner I can use less shampoo as well. I really only use dime sized amounts. My liter of Kpak shampoo which I have had for over a year is still 2/3rds full.

DarkHair

I'm fine-haired and I was once per week. I may switch that to twice per month in the winter and weekly in the summer months.

LaidBak

I have always shampooed every 3rd or 4th day. My hair always seemed to need the moisture. It was extremely fragile when wet. But now (post LHCF) it is strong and my breakage has been reduced 98%. I DC every time and I use protein judiciously to keep it strong.
Personally I've never seen a need for co-washing. It feels too much like lotioning my body without washing it first.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm fine/thin haired, relaxed and I co-wash every day when I reach 4 weeks post and I stretch to 12 weeks. My hair is doing fine.

I airdry and put it in a bun mostly so it's low manipulation. Also, when I wash or co wash, I squeeze the product through my hair; I don't scrub it vigorously and then I massage the scalp.

I use Wen for daily cowashes and once a week, I give myself an Ovation Cell Therapy treatment.

Because I do this everyday, I don't have product buildup nor do I have itchy, dry scalp. Remember, water is nature's best moisturizer. :yep:

PinkPebbles

How often do us fine haired girls moiturize and seal.

My hair is strange...when I go to the salon I do not have to moisturize and seal daily. Just one time before the next shampoo.

However, I have to moisturize and seal every other day when I do my own hair at home.

quasimodi

Fine haired lady checkin' in! :grin:

I cowash 2 to 3 times a week with Suave, VO 5, or Herbal Essences conditioners (recently have fallen in love with Hydralicious), follow up with a tea rinse, and then go about moisturizing and sealing with oil.

I deep condition once or twice a week. Usually on dry hair with AOHSR or Elasta QP DPR mixed with honey, castor oil, coconut milk, etc. I like the way it feels afterwards. My protein conditioner of choice is Motions CPR or Aphorgee 2 minute keratin treatment. But, I've noticed that I'm getting A LOT less breakage and that my hair is much, much stronger ever since I started doing tea rinses. I even made concoction of tea, essential oils, and aloe vera gel that I spritz on my hair 2 to 3 times a day. It makes the hair shiny soft and strong. :yep:

I usually shampoo once a week. I like the Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo. I use the Sally's generic brand, but I add a tea tree oil and peppermint oil to it. After a prepoo, I wash and leave the shampoo on my scalp for 10 to 15 minutes. I like the tingly feeling that I get. Afterwards, I rinse and follow up with a nice deep condition under the heating cap. Ohhhhh, I love pampering myself in the summertime. :rolleyes:

quasimodi

I always figured that for fine hair moisturizing everyday or every other day would be too much for our strands? :perplexed

Hmmmm. Maybe it depends on what kind of moisturizer you're using. I use a very light tea and essential oil spritz, which doesn't weigh my hair down at all. :yep:

Bachelorette

My hair is strange...when I go to the salon I do not have to moisturize and seal daily. Just one time before the next shampoo.

However, I have to moisturize and seal every other day when I do my own hair at home.

same here. like they have magic fingers or something :rolleyes:

honeisos

How often do the fine haired ladies here wash their hair? I know many people say co-washing isnt recommended for those with fine hair so those who wash more than once a week, do you use shampoo each time or what? I wash once a week and im thinking of increasing to twice a week.
i wash twice a week . i find that if i dont my hair gets tangled and limp . but i wash wash with sulfate free poo :)