Fine Haired & Washing

Bachelorette

How often do the fine haired ladies here wash their hair? I know many people say co-washing isnt recommended for those with fine hair so those who wash more than once a week, do you use shampoo each time or what?
I wash once a week and im thinking of increasing to twice a week.

Crown

My hair tends to be dry with co-washing. I wash once a week and I rinse when needed between (0 to 4X).

MizzCoco

Well washing twice a week didnt work for me, I used shampoo, then a cowash mid week. But my hair is really fragile when wet, and I lost way more hair. But maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Why do you want to wash more than once a week? If your hair is weighed down, try using less product. Its worked wonders for me

Nonie

I have fine hair and I shampoo and condition twice a week. One of those times (usually the weekend) the conditioning is actually a DC, sometimes with heat, sometimes without.

mzsophisticated26

My hair is fine and delicate but has thickened up a bit since stretching relaxers. When I wear sew ins I usually cowash twice a week. But now that I am wearing my hair out I do a weekly wash too.

I would love for some others to chime in...

Bachelorette

Well washing twice a week didnt work for me, I used shampoo, then a cowash mid week. But my hair is really fragile when wet, and I lost way more hair. But maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Why do you want to wash more than once a week? If your hair is weighed down, try using less product. Its worked wonders for me

I wanna start putting JBCO on my scalp to thicken my hair and I figure I'd have to inrease the washing for this to work? :perplexed

classylayd

I have fine hair and use to always wash every two weeks. Now that I'm on a 6 month stretch I wash and cowash alternating weeks.

PinkPebbles

I wash my hair once a week but will up it to twice a week. I use Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo. It's gentle and doesn't dry my hair out. I also alternate with my ORS Aloe shampoo to chelate.

I use a light protein weekly to keep my fine strands strengthened.

Bachelorette

whats jbco?

MizzCoco

I wanna start putting JBCO on my scalp to thicken my hair and I figure I'd have to inrease the washing for this to work? :perplexed
Yeah, i hear that stuff is pretty thick! I don't know anything about JBCO...Hopefully someone who uses it will speak up

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Fine hair checking in. I was with shampoo once a month. Wash with conditioner once or twice a week. My hair loves water more than anything. Then butters, then oils and creams.

Bachelorette

Yeah, i hear that stuff is pretty thick! I don't know anything about JBCO...Hopefully someone who uses it will speak up

It is pretty thick and i always use it once a week on my scarp after my rollersets, i just wanna increase it abit since it's known to be VERY good at causing thickeness but adding more means more product and washing more semms to be the only solution unless someone has a different opinion :look:

heyfranz

I wash, DC, protein and HOT once a week. Once a month i henna, and don't use protein that week. My hair is very fragile when wet.

*Muffin*

I believe my hair strands are fine, I just have a lot of hair so it appears thick. I co-wash about 3 or 4 times per week and I love it, but the problem with me is that I have to sometimes switch up between a co-wash that has protein and one that has no protein (even though I do protein treatments every 2 weeks). If I co-wash with a conditioner that has protein all the time my hair wille end up feeling stiff and unelastic, but if I do moisturizing all the time my hair actually won't retain the moisture I put in. I think that fine hair quickly loses it's protein/moisture balance. Not 100% sure of that, though.

PinkPebbles

I believe my hair strands are fine, I just have a lot of hair so it appears thick. I co-wash about 3 or 4 times per week and I love it, but the problem with me is that I have to sometimes switch up between a co-wash that has protein and one that has no protein (even though I do protein treatments every 2 weeks). If I co-wash with a conditioner that has protein all the time my hair wille end up feeling stiff and unelastic, but if I do moisturizing all the time my hair actually won't retain the moisture I put in. I think that fine hair quickly loses it's protein/moisture balance. Not 100% sure of that, though.

In the bolded...I believe this to be true as well! This is our biggest hurdle to overcome. Too much and too little will cause breakage instantly.

newflowers

I have fine hair and I shampoo and condition twice a week. One of those times (usually the weekend) the conditioning is actually a DC, sometimes with heat, sometimes without.

Me too - fine, relaxed hair washed twice a week with a deep conditioning treatment at least one of those times.

MizzCoco

What are some of your fav protein cowash conditioners? I've read in some of your posts that you like Giovanni SAS. Are there any others?

sqzbly1908

Hi Friend -

I guess I will be the exception to the rule - I wash (shampoo) my hair 3-4 times a week. I may skip (rarely) if I am extremely tired or something. I alternate between protein and moisture (I always follow up with moisture when using protein) - use a protein leave in - - Since increasing my protein usage (using more protein than moisture) my hair has thrived.

Having fine hair (I think the other fine-haired sisters can attest) our hair is "soft" but since I have increased my protein (including shampoo) my hair is a soft/sturdy (if I am making any sense)

HTH

Last edited:

Bachelorette

Hi Friend -

I guess I will be the exception to the rule - I wash (shampoo) my hair 3-4 times a week. I may skip (rarely) if I am extremely tired or something. I alternate between protein and moisture (I always follow up with moisture when using protein) - use a protein leave in - - Since increasing my protein usage (using more protein than moisture) my hair has thrived.

Having fine hair (I think the other fine-haired sisters can attest) our hair is "soft" but since I have increased my protein (including shampoo) my hair is a soft/sturdy (if I am making any since)

HTH

Thank you :yawn: what shampoo do you use? also do you DC each time you wash?

sqzbly1908

Let's see -

I am currently using Kenra MS, Nexxus Botanoil, and Nexxus Therappe (every now and then MOP Glisten) - for the most part - I DC about 95% of the time the traditional way - shampoo - dc- etc. If I am tired I will use AO HSR OR AO GPB on dry hair overnight - sometimes baggying/sometimes putting on scarf - wash out in the morning following up with some kind of conditioner while I shower...

scoobygirl

I have fine relaxed hair and during the summer:

I wash 2-3X per week. 2X with my WEN cleansing cream and once with a shampoo (no SLS) followed by WEN.

ETA: Co-washing never really worked for me, my hair always got too dry within a day or two.

Last edited:

charmtreese

Im a fine haired girl. I wash once a week with WEN. I have yet to find a shampoo that I like for my hair that wont cause it to tangle or feel weird...I use protein depending on my hair needs normally 2-3 times a month. My protein treatment of choice is nexxus Emergencee.