Aluminum Foil for Flat Ironing

ConvolutedCurly

Last edited:

Geminigirl

I saw that over there too. I was scared because not many had tried it at the time. Sound interesting though.

Auburn

I wouldn't trust it.

Wouldn't it be like using a flat iron with aluminum plates? I'd stick to ceramic, tourmaline, ionic and I DEFINITELY wouldn't do wet to dry.

Geminigirl

That's why I was scared. I think I might have even tried it and it was HOT! I don't have her texture or length so I'd rather stick with the plates my Sedu came with.

Her hair came out nice though.

Jade Feria

I wouldn't trust it.

Wouldn't it be like using a flat iron with aluminum plates? I'd stick to ceramic, tourmaline, ionic and I DEFINITELY wouldn't do wet to dry.
That's my biggest concern! Also, there's the oxidation rate of metals such as aluminum. Mixed with water (since your hair is supposed to be wet), who knows what that's apt to do to the hair over time? Or what kind of chemical reactions are taking place between the components of the foil and your hair, that make it so "soft and smooth". :perplexed No thanks, I'll pass.

LadyPaniolo

No thanks lol. I am not trying to have anything to do with aluminum foil ever since I tried putting some on my braids on the ends. My hair was SO chewed... it boggled the mind. So yeah, aluminum foil + heating device = :nono:

ConvolutedCurly

i believe so.
so why not just get a cheap wet-to-dry aluminum iron?
hmmmm.idk.
ceramic.ionic.and tourmaline seem much safer than aluminum anyday!!!

ixoyegodisgood

I watched the video That looks like a lot of work for a look that looks like a regular blow out. Even for me and I dont have the same hair texture as her.

Mandy4610

So the experts created Ceramic and all the other safer stuff, but some people still prefer Aluminum?.......:scratchch Someone help me understand the logic behind that.

I love my precious strands way too much to put them through this experiment.

me-T

those responses about "i heard the sizzle, but my hair is so silky" got to me. i don't wanna hear [expletive] when i have a heat device on my hair! ESPECIALLY a sizzle!

then you have to worry about "bubble hair"(there's a thread on it right now), plus you can't get to the roots as to not burn the scalp. if i can't straighten my roots, i might as well not even plug my iron in!

sure the results look pretty, but doesn't that always happen right before things go south?

sheba1

If you coat a ceramic iron with the aluminum I would think you're still getting the benefits of the ceramic iron, as it's the ceramic heating element that prevents hot spots, no?

I'd skip the wet to dry part, for myself, but I've heard of dominican salons using aluminum coated irons with certain products. Kind of reminds me of that titanium tape that Don'tspeakdefeat has wrapped around her FHI Runway in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyafCq-Lsw

longhairlover

I don't see the point of this method and in the end i'm sure heads will start losing strands because of it. so aluminum foil on a flat iron is better than ceramic plates? you might as well just buy a wet to dry flat iron made specifically for wet hair.

I can see the news story now "girl burns down house from using aluminum foil on flat iron, flat iron starts to spark, fire spread to 3 houses on the block".
Fireman "now why was she using aluminum foil on the flat iron????, my wife has a wet to dry iron" lmao!!!!

as far as the dominicans using the foil, your supposed to foil the hair like when you get highlights and gently press the flat iron on the foil to bake in the hair treatment, but you don't iron the hair with aluminum foil covering the iron. you can use the foils on treatments like sebastian penetraitt the one in the white bottle with orange letters and other treatments that require the foil on "the hair" not the iron.

Last edited:

ConvolutedCurly

I don't see the point of this method and in the end i'm sure heads will start losing strands because of it. so aluminum foil on a flat iron is better than ceramic plates? you might as well just buy a wet to dry flat iron made specifically for wet hair.

I can see the news story now "girl burns down house from using aluminum foil on flat iron, flat iron starts to spark, fire spread to 3 houses on the block".
Fireman "now why was she using aluminum foil on the flat iron????, my wife has a wet to dry iron" lmao!!!!

this would be hilarious to see on the news.
i'd die laughin'.lol.

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

This sounds scary. I agree why would you put aluminum on your hair when you can put something a lot safer. I love my curls too much put them to the fire (literally).

Nonie

If you coat a ceramic iron with the aluminum I would think you're still getting the benefits of the ceramic iron, as it's the ceramic heating element that prevents hot spots, no?

I'd skip the wet to dry part, for myself, but I've heard of dominican salons using aluminum coated irons with certain products. Kind of reminds me of that titanium tape that Don'tspeakdefeat has wrapped around her FHI Runway in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyafCq-Lsw

I'm not a chemist so OP I apologize for chiming in just when you asked chemists to do so, but I wanted to point out that it takes very little heat to raise the temperature of aluminium than ceramic so I don't think you'd be getting the benefits of ceramic by wrapping it with aluminum foil. In fact, methinks the temperature you're applying to hair might be multiplied because the calibration of the iron is based on the fact that the heat applied by electricity was expected to act on ceramic plates not aluminum...so it's probably making the plates hotter than you'd like on the hair. Might explain the "silky results".

All metals have different properties and as someone pointed out, there's a reason ceramics were introduced over aluminum and why they are more expensive. I wonder whose idea this was... :scratchch

tking21

I tried it after reading the same post. I didn't do my whole head because it took me like 3 + passes to get my hair dry and straight, so I only did a section in the back. My curls in the section that I experimented on bounced back no problem. If you have the time, I think you could achieve great results, but I'm not patient enough to finish my whole head.

ConvolutedCurly

I'm not a chemist so OP I apologize for chiming in just when you asked chemists to do so, but I wanted to point out that it takes very little heat to raise the temperature of aluminium than ceramic so I don't think you'd be getting the benefits of ceramic by wrapping it with aluminum foil. In fact, methinks the temperature you're applying to hair might be multiplied because the calibration of the iron is based on the fact that the heat applied by electricity was expected to act on ceramic plates not aluminum...so it's probably making the plates hotter than you'd like on the hair. Might explain the "silky results".

All metals have different properties and as someone pointed out, there's a reason ceramics were introduced over aluminum and why they are more expensive. I wonder whose idea this was... :scratchch

thanks nonie.this makes a lot of sense.so the foil maks the flat iron hotter?okay! okay! i guess you could get just as silky hair using a higher temperature to flat iron.idk.