90 Day Roller Setting Challenge 2009

Help ladies after I rollerset I finger comb the curls, at night I wrap but when I wake up I have to roll up the ends before I leave to bump the curl back what am I doing wrong? Any tips?

ayoung

^^^Are you wrapping with a scarf or bonnet? I found that 'scrunching' my roller set under the bonnet in the way I will wear it when down helps the curls last a bit longer.

ex, when I put my bonnet on--i dont just have my hair any kind of way inside. The back length is scrunched under and the sides (if I don't pincurl them) are scrunched together and not enlongated or flatened towards the back b/c the next morning the curls will be crazy looking and flat.

Wake up and finger. But what I learned is that my rollerset WILL NOT look as good as day 1 :lol:
So, I take it in stride and work the curls day by day and stretch them out as they fall. This shows more length too :look:

HTH some!

^^^Are you wrapping with a scarf or bonnet? I found that 'scrunching' my roller set under the bonnet in the way I will wear it when down helps the curls last a bit longer.

ex, when I put my bonnet on--i dont just have my hair any kind of way inside. The back length is scrunched under and the sides (if I don't pincurl them) are scrunched together and not enlongated or flatened towards the back b/c the next morning the curls will be crazy looking and flat.

Wake up and finger. But what I learned is that my rollerset WILL NOT look as good as day 1 :lol:
So, I take it in stride and work the curls day by day and stretch them out as they fall. This shows more length too :look:

HTH some!
I use a silk scraf I will try a bonnet I am going to get some satin rollers next week so I can sleep w/ them in. Thanks

ayoung

UPDATE:

Ok, it is day 5 of this rollerset and my hair seems sooo thirsty! :wallbash:
Its freezing here and the air is very dry....so it looks like I'll be Washing/DCing TWICE a week to keep the moisture going in my hair. I don't really want to...but---I'll try and see if that helps. :ohwell:

Guess I'll be studying under the dryer a lot this semester :lol:

TrendySocialite

Today was my first rollerset....*sigh*

Laziness has prevailed for the past few days...LOL

It didn't come out like I wanted. I wanted most of the curl to be on the bottom and the top to be smooth. So I used larger rollers on top and my regular rollers on bottom. It was still a bit too poofy and not quite curly enough.

So I rolled it dry tonight....hopefully it will be better. Plus, my hair is a little thirsty too. So I added some oil to my hair when I rolled it up.

We'l see what happens day 2...

ayoung

Moisture DC'd under dryer for 20min. My hair feels so much better. 2 times per week it will be :ohwell:

2nd rollerset of the challenge:

I let this set dry completely :look: unlike my first one :lol:

And like always, pushed it away from my face.

Hope your hair is doing well ladies!

Last edited:

kami11213

How far post relaxer are you guys? I find it so difficult to rollerset as I get further into my stretch (I'm 13 weeks post now)....

soulie

Well.... I will self-confess here. I didn't see anything in the rules about passes, but I absolutely HAD to blowdry and flatiron yesterday. It was a time and pride emergency. My DH called me; we were invited to a work-type event yesterday evening and there was a good chance his ex-wife was also going to be present. What choice did I have on a couple of hours notice????

I did my Wen, gently squeezed dry, applied Wen Styling Creme, then FHI Hot Sauce. I blow-dried on medium setting, focusing on the roots; I used my Jilbere shower comb to straighten as I dried. I didn't dry all the way to my ends; I mainly wanted to laydown my NG. Then I flatironed and flipped the ends with FHI Runway on about 310 degrees.

May I be forgiven and continue on the challenge? I promise to be good from now on.....

TrendySocialite

Well.... I will self-confess here. I didn't see anything in the rules about passes, but I absolutely HAD to blowdry and flatiron yesterday. It was a time and pride emergency. My DH called me; we were invited to a work-type event yesterday evening and there was a good chance his ex-wife was also going to be present. What choice did I have on a couple of hours notice????

I did my Wen, gently squeezed dry, applied Wen Styling Creme, then FHI Hot Sauce. I blow-dried on medium setting, focusing on the roots; I used my Jilbere shower comb to straighten as I dried. I didn't dry all the way to my ends; I mainly wanted to laydown my NG. Then I flatironed and flipped the ends with FHI Runway on about 310 degrees.

May I be forgiven and continue on the challenge? I promise to be good from now on.....

You hair is cute!

Of course you are forgiven. I like discipline in a challenge...but life happens. And of course you had to make ol' girl drool and green with envy. I would have done the same thing!

Hope it achieved the desired effect...LOL

TrendySocialite

My 2nd day rollerset came out much better. I will try to post pics later, but essentially it was styled like this...

A little more bouffant in the top, but that's basically what it looked like.

ayoung

^^^That is really cute! I would luv to see what ur results look like
How did you secure it all in the back?

TrendySocialite

^^^That is really cute! I would luv to see what ur results look like
How did you secure it all in the back?

I just gathered it in the back twisted it and pinned it with hair pins. Then I finished finger styling the top.

Today I'm wearing a piece down in the front, but you can do it either way and its cute.

Ladies Friday morning about to wash dc and rollerset. I have been pinning up my hair in back and finger style the top. Cute little style and my hair is up well most of it.

ayoung

^^Very cute. Ur hair looks very healthy!
Can't wait to see our results when the 90 days are up.

...speaking of that---what is the official end date.....April 1? and then reveal?

Also, are u guys stretching for the entire challenge?

soulie

Also, are u guys stretching for the entire challenge?

Ughhhhhhhhhh, that's a whole other issue. I'm debating whether to go three months or six months. If I go three, then it'll be February. I'm watching my hair closely to see if I can do a longer stretch during the winter. The first sign that it's not doing as well as it did during a summer stretch and out comes the Phyto relaxer box. If I do that then my schedule will be February, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving.

ayoung

I'm with you--debating. My Bday is in Feb and of course I want to be cute, so I might relax--that would be 9-10 weeks post.

Like you, i'm just gonna observe my hair--if its acting up---Design Essentials here I come :lol:---if not--I would like to stretch the remainder of the winter. :yep: and whip out that APL hair when it gets warmer :drunk:

Ughhhhhhhhhh, that's a whole other issue. I'm debating whether to go three months or six months. If I go three, then it'll be February. I'm watching my hair closely to see if I can do a longer stretch during the winter. The first sign that it's not doing as well as it did during a summer stretch and out comes the Phyto relaxer box. If I do that then my schedule will be February, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving.

TrendySocialite

Yes, April 1 is the reveal.

I will probably be scheduled for a relaxer in early March I think. I don't think I'm going to stretch much longer than that though. I did 10.5 weeks this last time and it was sorta hard!

But we'll see how my hair is doing....

I will rewash and set tomorrow.

ayoung

Rollerset again today. (gonna be ~every 4 days for me)

Megatek w/ heat 15 min
DC w/ Triple Silk 45 min w/ heat

Tried something new when I set it. B/c I have been having dry hair--in addition to rubbing my leave in on my hair in general--I dabbed some on the ends of each section to be rolled.

Came out nice....i'll see how it is as I finger it through the next 4 days.

TrendySocialite

I haven't re-rollerset yet. Will probably do it tonight while watching 24. I rocked the half-updo on Friday, then put on a half wig yesterday (because of the rollerset I didn't have to curl or hot roller the front). Today I rocked a ponytail. So I'm going to have to co-wash, DC and reset tonight.

TrendySocialite

I reset last night.

Applied diluted shampoo with applicator bottle
DC'd for an hour w/ no heat (was watching 24)
Set with setting lotion mix (water, lacio lacio, EVOO, drop of peppermint oil)
Sat under dryer for about 1.5 hours

Here are some pics...

Size rollers I used...

Hair after dried

Styled

It was supposed to be this hairstyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HwsCMGCvw&feature=channel_page

But I think it looks more like this (at least the front did)

ayoung

That is cute Arr,---i'm gonna watch that youtube and try the updo.

Choice,

I protect my ends before the rollerset and then after.

Before:
Moisture DC
Leave in Conditioner, concentrating on the ends. (at least I think I am, my hair is dong pretty well)

After:
Rub oil through my hair daily concentrating on ends
Sometimes clip it up

Ladies I will roller set after work Tuesday and Thursay I will pin the back up and finger style the top I will try to squezze another dc and set on Saturday night for Church the next morning!!