My Hairline is GONE and I don't know what to do!

kbragg

I'm on the verge of tears right now.:nono: I don't know what to do or even how to wear my hair! DH was sweet and took me to get my hair professionally braided (He saw a coworker with cornrows and thought it would look good on me.) I told him I have a very delicate hairline but he assured me his coworker said the lady was gentle as she's tenderheaded too.

Well I felt no pain or pulling while she was braiding but it was tigggght! I figured since it didn't hurt it wouldn't be a problem. Well here I am two and half weeks later praying that this isn't permanent. I'm so upset. I baby my hair and transitioned for a full year....now I'm so far from my goals feel like crying:nono:

Some of it could be postpartum shedding since I just had my baby 3 months ago but I'm pretty sure 90% of it is from the cornrows:nono: I will never let a "professional" near my hair again. Click the pic for the vid:cry4:

PLEASE if anybody has any tips on how to recover my hairline or at least what I can do with my hair in the interim please suggest. No more wigs, weaves, braids, etc. for me. I just need something until my hair is long enough to rock some decent twists.

:cry4:

PPGbubbles

I am sooo sorry OP! I dont know how to fix it but I wanted to give you some E-support

(((( HUG ))))

Hopefully ladies can give some good tips

nikki2229

OMG!!!:bighug:

I think she damaged your hair. I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Keep your edges moisturized, massage them with oils, and don't apply any tension to them. Be patient, they will come back. I hear Nioxin works well for this as well.

I also wanted to add this link. Good Luck.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
my post partum shedding started around 3-5 months post delivery. it is probably a combination of both the braids and the shedding.

my edges were almost bald too by the time i hit 5 months post.

i moisturized my edges with a shea butter based moisturizer and sealed with an oil blend. each day. twice a day. it took about 2 months to see a difference.

i wore no braids, no ponytails...no tension styles at all.

but my edges came back.

try this regimen and also talk to a dermatologist. i believe you will be fine once your shedding stops. just don't do anything to encourage the shedding.

(((Hugs))))

ps i have pics in my fotki if you want to check them out.

Iluvsmuhgrass

:grouphug: I think you've been given good advice so far. I'd definitely see a trichologist or at least talk to one (but I'd be reluctant to take meds and careful to apply eo's especially if you're bf'ing ds.) Until then, be very gentle with your hair.

It'll be ok K. Try not to worry too much. :bighug:

Kneechay

First off, I'd suggest you start off with a divorce because I think your husband's impeding on your hair goals.

naw jk.

I too think it's the post partum shedding coupled with the tension style you just removed. I have a friend dealing with this same thing right now. I think advice you've gotten is good, and just suggest you eat well, massage castor oil on your edges and do very low mani. I know this sucks, but it'll be okay.

Congrats on the baby, did you have a girl by any chance?

barbiesocialite

awww I'm sorry you are experiencing this...

Do you have a dermatologist? I went through a similar experience a few years ago and went to see my derm, he gave me a couple injections in my scalp and gave me a prescription foam to use daily and my edges grew back like wildfire in a matter of weeks :yep:

EccentricRed

:needhug: Awww...I'm sorry this happened. I've been there... (not the post-partum part, but the losing edges part).

I lost my edges on both sides when I started transitioning. I agree with the other ladies that the best way to handle the situation is to baby that area. Low-manipulation, no tension styles. Keep your hair moisturized, and scalp massages got me through as well.

As far as hairstyles, I straighted the areas that weren't damaged and did a side part, so my hair layed over the recuperating areas.

If I think of anything more, I'll let you know! My hair came back...please stay positive!

AlliCat

Kbragg don't stress start massaging with Jamaican Black Castor Oil...that works to get your edges (and hair in general) thicker...you may not see results right away esp since your postpartum shedding but be consistent and hopefully you should see results

OT: @Nichi, nice siggy pic

Nonie

kbragg, please give the recipe I used a try. As far as styling your hair, join me in my bangs hairdo. Twist a good sized portion in the front and let them hang over it:

You can even do curtain move like I do if you have them on both sides and ignore the peek-a-boo surprise of a big-ole fivehead:

Or just spread out the twists so they are covering well spaced:

Remember bangs can start from the crown coming forward so use as much of your hair as you need to cover and feel comfortable letting the area rest.

And massage, massage, massage. Don't just rub, but move the skin to encourage circulation.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am sorry lovie. It WILL grow back okay? (((HUGS))) I agree with the ladies that recommended castor oil on the edges twice a day. Eat nutritious foods. And now is the time to get creative with your hairstyles. I know it must be tough but try not to stress. IIRC I think Kinikakes had a PP thread. Did you do a search? This topic is pretty redundant here. Let me see if I can help!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=236509&highlight=post+pregnancy+hair+loss

Last edited:

AlliCat

I just saw the video and it looks much more damaged that the pic...perhaps see a dermatologist as some people mentioned. In the mean time do some scalp massages with JBCO+peppermint oil to stimulate growth in those areas

((Hugs)) I want to say thanks for your courage to share this with us...reason #475920 to DIY....hoping for speedy recovery of your hairline

sunnieb

I am so sorry this happened to you!

I'm actually in the process of growing back my hairline (pics posted in fotki) from past damage. I am massaging castor oil on the area nightly. I also take GNC Ultra Mega Women's multi-vitamin and GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin daily. That's giving me a boost of 3300mcg of Biotin everyday.

nae1114

My edges looked just as yours at 3 mos pp. It is now 1 year and all has filled in nicely. I just babied my edges till now :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MariposaSexyGirl

I always lose hair during postpartum shedding in my temples. Usually around 3-5 months after having baby. I've had 3 children and it's happened three times. So the last time I went through it I didn't blink an eye. It starts to grow back in a month. My edges are as full as ever now. I wouldn't sweat it. Give it a few months and it will grow back.

I added a few pics to show you the same happened to mine. I didn't have a pic of when it was all the way bald lol.

The first one is a month after being bald in that area.

The second is like maybe 2 months after.

The other two are what my hair looks like now. I'm not sure you can see them well but my edges are completely filled in. My baby is 15 months old now.
I didn't do anything special. Just avoided applying anything on that area. Maybe coconut oil if I felt like it.

Attachments

• blackberry 724.jpg
    blackberry 724.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 276
  • blackberry 745.jpg
    blackberry 745.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG00884.jpg
    IMG00884.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 226

janda

Big hug! Sorry about your hair. IMO it looks like post-partum shedding. I lost hair at my temples after both pregnancies. You can have a doctor check it out but I think as long as you baby that area it will grow back healthy and strong.

Nonie

Thread hijack alert (sorry).

MariposaSexyGirl :notworthy Mariposa, Sexy Girl...is too right. You're not only gorgeous but your hair....*swoons* :drool:

Psst...My hair wants to know if your hair is seeing anyone at the moment? :poke: Is it available for a night out in the town this Friday? :eek:ver18:

kbragg, I'm excited to see that it's postpartum shedding. I don't even think you need "my recipe" (I had nothing to do with its creation so don't believe it's mine)...but I don't think it'll hurt. Check with your doctor though if you're breastfeeding to make sure the EOs are OK.

MariposaSexyGirl

MariposaSexyGirl :notworthy Mariposa, Sexy Girl...is too right. You're not only gorgeous but your hair....*swoons* :drool:

Psst...My hair wants to know if your hair is seeing anyone at the moment? :poke: Is it available for a night out in the town this Friday? :eek:ver18:

:lachen: Aww thanks Nonie! That means a lot coming from you. :kiss:

Yes my hair is single. But I must warn you, she isn't ready for commitments :look: lol

Boujoichic

Congrats on the little one Mine is 5 mos now. While I was pregnant my hair grew like weeds but at 3 mos post my hair started shedding in clumps the size of baseballs on my wash day. At first I thought I had escaped post partum shedding no such luck. It really impacted my temples and edges the worst I looked like a plucked chicken I hadnt planned on breast feeding for long so I weened the little one and started using a mega tech mixture and also I started making my own garlic oil prepoo (garlic helps with shedding) 2 mos later the shedding is under control and I looked in the mirror just the other day and my temples and hairline are back. Basically I did not shed at all while pregnant here I was thinking I was gonna keep all this thick(my hair has never been thick before in terms of density) long hair but my body had other plans. your edges will recover just give them TLC and time.

Nonie

MariposaSexyGirl I can deal with that. The occasional hookup at the No-tell Motel would suffice. :eyebrows2 Commitment isn't exactly my hair's forte either. It's been eyeing a few other heads up in here...so who knows what tomorrow's flavor will be.

OK nuff hijacking. :p

kbragg, I know I don't need to tell you this since you're already pretty good in this department, but I wanted to put it here in case someone's ever looking for the same info you are and could use this: remember, every time you put junk in your mouth, it takes up the space that could've been filled with something beneficial to your health and therefore your hair. So don't eat empty calories and eat foods that will serve your body and hair follicles useful nutrients. ;) A good example is refined sugar. Another salt. You can get all the sugar and salt you need from food w/o going out of your way to indulge. :)

leiah

I have a 6 month old and am just now starting to see my hairline fill in again. I didn't start shedding until 3 months postpartum.

I started using vatika oil and amla oil on my scalp everyday and that's when I really saw progress being made. Now I have little baby hairs sticking up all over the place

don't stress about it - it WILL grow back. I wonder if all my oils actually had any effect or if I was only going to shed for those few months regardless of what I did.

kbragg

Nichi I had a boy (baby number 4!)

Ladies thank you so much for posting pics and fotki's. I'm convinced it is indeed PP shedding and the cornrows just exasperated the situation. I went back and looked at the hairs and they had the roots still on them so my braider is off the hook:grin:

Right now i have my hair in loose twists. I only have like 6 inches of hair so I kinda look like Bow Wow:lol: Gotta find some styles for short twists lol. maybe a Barrett or flower will make them look more feminine.

Nonie do you twist your hair wet or dry/stretched hair. Mine are kinda sticking up all over right now lol.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
yeah, I really think it's pp shedding. It's not been helped by tension but IMO, not a lost cause either. I was looking at some pictures of my hairline after both babies and yeah, I lost hair in the same spot as you and MariposaSexyGirl. My hairline is back (and gray now YIKES) but at least those bald spots are gone...

I'm hoping it's the same for you!

Nonie

Nonie do you twist your hair wet or dry/stretched hair. Mine are kinda sticking up all over right now lol.

kbragg, I twist them dry and yes they might stick up, but as soon as I'm done twisting, I wet them. You can CW them if you prefer. Apply conditioner to them dry and then rinse (in the sink even) and let the weight of the water pull them down. If you dry them, they'll shrink up and maybe act funny. If you let them drip dry, they'll maintain that hanging down shape.

Alternatively, you can dry them if going to bed, then in the AM spritz them with something. Even just drenching them with a liquid leave in so the are wet and heavy can work. I forget who it is who uses Infusium so I guess you could use that too coz it's wet and will make them heavy so they hang.

The pic below shows how crazy my twists look when I first do them and how neat and straight they look after I wet them--even the ends look cute. You can roll the ends between fingers when wet to shape them into a single point if they seem to open up:

Another example of my twists drip-drying in order to maintain a downward direction:

itismehmmkay

HEy girl, I just took out a weave (a whole year of back to back installs) and I imagine I had some PPshedding as well. My edges were looking sparse too. I'm back to my regimen of daily washing and they're filling back in already. Even if your regimen doesn't accomodate for washing you're whole head of hair daily, maybe you can get away w/ just washing the edges. It really aids in maintain moisture!