HAIRLINE GONE!! PICS inside *PLEASE HELP*

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. Definitely keep taking your prenatal vitamins. You should also speak to your doctor before changing anything in your diet, including taking any supplements, or pills or using any essential oils topically (rosemary especially), considering that you are breast feeding.

Lots of ladies here have recovered from thinning edges, so I'm sure something will work out for you soon! Good luck.

ETA: There is almost no way that the cap did that. It's probably the relaxed damage, but I'm sure you have already figured that out from the other responses.

Wigs can cause a lot of damage to the hairline as well. I would just get some cute headbands or satin scarfs (worn as headbands) that can protect your edges while they grow back.

Sorry this happened to you.

You can try BeeMine
here is the link
http://beemineproducts.net/shop2/

My niece and I's hairline's were bad off. I did some research here and brought some BeeMine and it has been 7 months since I used this product on both of our hair lines and I can tell you yes, both of our hairlines are comming back.

Hope this helped.((((((BIG HUG))))))))

UPDATE: I called the salon and the owner (she's a friend of mine) is going to do my hair on Saturday for free. She's also going to do a protein treatment.

For the relaxer damage: can that be retroactive considering I'm 5 weeks post. Or does the time when you got the touch-up not matter? Shouldn't the damage show up immediately (i.e. my temple areas)?

Please don't get BRAIDS, your hair/hairline seems to be too weak at this point to support the extra weight and dryness of braids.

Get a cute wig for style and start babying your hair in the evenings once you are home.

Stop by the WIG CHALLENGE 2009 for some great tips, photos and encouragement until your hair regrows.

:grin: Good luck, CD

As the ladies said lay off the relaxers for a while, and do heavy deep conditioning treatments, normally when my hair would break off i'd do protein treatments emergencee, aphogee etc. maybe wear a material thick headband til it starts to grow back, it seems like it must've been overprocessed, the relaxer could've been old all sorts of things may have caused your edges to fall. but with time and conditioning good leaves on that particular area should help.

Please don't get BRAIDS, your hair/hairline seems to be too weak at this point to support the extra weight and dryness of braids.

Get a cute wig for style and start babying your hair in the evenings once you are home.

Stop by the WIG CHALLENGE 2009 for some great tips, photos and encouragement until your hair regrows.

:grin: Good luck, CD

Yeah I've already been in there so I'm going to write down some of the tips when I go look for one this weekend:grin: I'll definitely be an avid observer of this challenge!

Once I took a look at my hairline when I got out the shower, I knew the cornrows I was going to get were out of the question!

ETA: LongHairLover, thank you and I love your hair!:lick:

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you.

You can try BeeMine
here is the link
http://beemineproducts.net/shop2/

My niece and I's hairline's were bad off. I did some research here and brought some BeeMine and it has been 7 months since I used this product on both of our hair lines and I can tell you yes, both of our hairlines are comming back.

Hope this helped.((((((BIG HUG))))))))

I've used Bee Mine and Boundless Tresses. The Boundless Tresses definitely worked better in restoring the hair on my temples--which I started losing in the 4th grade!

I've had this happen before and I was horrified because I already have a five-heard :grin:.

But I tried everything under the sun at first and stressing about it added more to the problem. Then somebody told me to try Nioxidol and I used that for about 2 weeks and that second week I put some Sulfur 8 there also and I noticed it started growing back almost right away with peach fuzz. Don't know if it was both products combined or just the Nioxidil taking a few weeks to work, but I was just glad to have it back.

Good luck! By the way, mine was caused by stress.

I am so sorry this happened to you. The women here have given you great advice, so I have nothing to add except that I hope everything gets better soon. ((hugs))

I tell you the truth I will continue my prenatal pills and up my castor oil once I have this baby. I plan on breastfeeding again...

I've used Bee Mine and Boundless Tresses. The Boundless Tresses definitely worked better in restoring the hair on my temples--which I started losing in the 4th grade!

I read about BT's here. I heard that works very well. When I used Beemine- In 7 months my hair and my nieces hair started comming back.

Hey SelfStyled,

See THIS is why I love this board. Thanks so much for thinking of me, that really means a lot! I'm doing well and doing big things!! I'll have an update on Monday so stay tuned.....

Sorry to hear about your experience - loosing your edges is devastating - more difficult than in the middle of the scalp because it is harder to hide. I wonder if this has happened before. I ask because some of us have VERY fragile edges - I defintely do. If so be careful with wigs - even with a special edges protector band I bought (recommended by Afro hair/gow your hair long site) they ate up my edges. Ditto for braids, cornrows, tight or constant ponytails, relaxer left on too long. Now I leave my edges well alone (I'm natural) and put in twists myself.
I also found a mix that helped - megatek mixed with castor oil and a few drops of essential oils - rosemary, cedarwood, peppermint, lavender and tea tree.
Gentle handling and avoiding any stressors will get them back to normal. Good luck!

I am sorry this happened to you. I have been there.... I lost my edges due to the fact the relaxers killed my hairline. When I stopped relaxing.... they came back... and honestly - I am not trying to scare you..... I just think that it is proven that our hair is different all over our heads - so - I think edges cannot take harsh relaxing.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Thanks Ladies!! I've bounce back with the help of this board and great ladies like you. Like I told SS, I'll have an update on Monday so stay tuned.

Spiritex,
I just got my megatek yesterday. What are the measurements for your mix? What kind of castor oil do you use? I was look at growafrohairlong.com too and thought the special wig band would solve all my edges problems, hmm that's something to think about. Do you have a fotki?

Lucky's Mom - thanks for the encouraging words and I'm definitely thinking about the relaxer thing too.

You should be getting close to the end of post partum sheddng - hormones can wreck havoc can't they? Looking forward to an update. I hope both you and the baby are well.

You should be getting close to the end of post partum sheddng - hormones can wreck havoc can't they? Looking forward to an update. I hope both you and the baby are well.

I know right!! Yeah I'm hoping so but I think it's slowed down considerably. I can't do anything until I quit nursing (I wanted to get lasik and take biotin and stuff) but oh well it's not about me anymore now is it? Yeah update on Monday so stay tuned! :drunk:

P.S. We're both doing great!! Thank you for asking:grin:

I am so sorry this happened to you! I'm not sure, but this looks like relaxer damage to me. Perhaps the last relaxer was left on the edges too long, and made the fragile hairline weaker and start to break when tension was applied with the sleep cap. I would suggest rubbing castor oil along the hairline, and tying the hair up at night with a silk or satin tie on (loosely) scarf. Give yourself a few weeks of gentle care, no hard brushing, no extra tension of any kind, and you should begin to see some improvement. If after a few months, you don't notice any change, then get to a dermatologist right away, to make sure its not a problem that requires medical attention. Don't worry too much. It's hair, and it will grow back! (((((HUGS)))))))

Last edited:
I'm so so sorry this happened to you. castor oil and drinking lots of water really did the trick on getting my edges to grow thicker after braids. I think a wig would be a good idea in the meantime, and don't get discouraged. it'll definitely grow back!

great advice given and just to be on the safe side, I would be cautious with that satin cap. I'm glad you posted a pic of it--I have 2 like that and have noticed a little thin spot in the hair line recently. I don't necessarily attribute it to the cap, but it is something I wondered about when I first noticed the spot.
A trick I learned from Anky (is her new name Angelicus?) is to turn the cap inside-out so the elastic doesn't pull out any strands from the hairline.

Whatever you do, don't braid it!
And please don't be sad... I saw lovely lace front wigs at the store today that were much cuter than my hair... You could wear those and be stylin and profilin!
I'm sure you're gorgeous... Keep hope alive!

Thanks Ladies!! I've bounce back with the help of this board and great ladies like you. Like I told SS, I'll have an update on Monday so stay tuned.

Spiritex,
I just got my megatek yesterday. What are the measurements for your mix? What kind of castor oil do you use? I was look at growafrohairlong.com too and thought the special wig band would solve all my edges problems, hmm that's something to think about. Do you have a fotki?

Lucky's Mom - thanks for the encouraging words and I'm definitely thinking about the relaxer thing too.

HauteHairGurl,
I mix approximately 2oz megatek, 1oz castor oil, then add 8-10 drops each of the essential oils. I use regular castor oil. Shake it up and apply to my scalp with a nozzle applicator 3 times a week, massaging for a minute or two. Each batch lasts 2-3 weeks - I try not to be heavy-handed with it. I know some ladies use Megatek straight but I have dryness issues so the moisturizing benefits of castor oil are neccessary for me as well as it's thickening effects. Even then, I wait a while then use my usual moisturizer on top just to be safe.
I have always known that my edges are super fragile so I ordered the edges protector from the states (I live in UK). I was prepared to make any sacrifice to protect my edges while wigging it. Didn't work.:nono:
Now I leave them well alone and they are responding and filling in each day. Sorry, I have not got round to setting up a fotki - too lazy but plan to soon. Look forward to seeing your updates on Monday.:yep:

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies!! Yeah I've been using castor oil on my edges and the shedding has slowed down a lot. I've also done some other things to help too. Updates on Monday!!

Back