hair steamers - who has one?

coilynapp

Hi Ladies. Sorry for them being out of stock. Here is my review of the steamer!

So I got it on Saturday! YAY and of course I HAD to use it. Overall, it works really well and the steam gets quite hot, but not too hot. It feels like a professional steamer. My hair is still soft and moisturized (I have natural 4a/b hair).

The downside, there is this alarm on it if you don't fix the cup properly. So I used it twice successfully, but now i just keep getting the alarm and my water won't heat!!!!!!!!!!!:perplexed:perplexed I'm kinda annoyed, but once I figure out what's going on I'm sure it'll be fine (I had got this alarm before my first use, so there's something obviously wrong that I'm doing, I don't know what though).

In general I am pleased with it :D

Last edited:

FindingMe

Hi Ladies. Sorry for them being out of stock. Here is my review of the steamer!

So I got it on Saturday! YAY and of course I HAD to use it. Overall, it works really well and the steam gets quite hot, but not too hot. It feels like a professional steamer. My hair is still soft and moisturized (I have natural 4a/b hair).

The downside, there is this alarm on it if you don't fix the cup properly. So I used it twice successfully, but now i just keep getting the alarm and my water won't heat!!!!!!!!!!!:perplexed:perplexed I'm kinda annoyed, but once I figure out what's going on I'm sure it'll be fine (I had got this alarm before my first use, so there's something obviously wrong that I'm doing, I don't know what though).

In general I am pleased with it :D

oh, jesus- please let this steamer work right when i get it tomorrow...i don't have the strength to deal with another table-top steamer issue...seriously...:ohwell:

ETA: is the alarm like loud? i usually do my hair stuff at night when folks is sleeping 'cause my Pibss is so quiet...:perplexed

Last edited:

ClassicChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
Ok ladies!!!!!! I JUST placed my order online for my table-top hair steamer from http://hair-only.com/hair-care.html

Their online shopping is up!!!!!!!!!!! I paid with paypal (but you can use credit/debit too). Total cost is 169.99 (free ground shipping!). I'm SUPER excited. I will post picks and my review of it. I'm sure it will work great :)

:yay::yay::yay:

aaaauuuuggggghhhhh! I missed delivery of my steamer today!!!:wallbash: I gotta go pick it up at the Post Office tomoorw after 8am....:wallbash: I'll keep you informed. I plan to do my first DC tomorrow night...

Was this deliver by the post office, UPS, or DHL? Just curious.

I want one but they are sold out. I'm going to treat myself with my stimulus check.

FindingMe

Was this deliver by the post office, UPS, or DHL? Just curious.

I want one but they are sold out. I'm going to treat myself with my stimulus check.

It was delivered by US Postal Service, signature required.

I got it today!!! Here's my:twocents::

I really like it!!! :woohoo2: At first I was nervous bc the box was kinda small and looked a little worn inside the brown cardboard box they shipped it in...I also kind freaking out bc at first I couldn't find the hood, but as it turns out, you have to piece it together...

PROS:
  • It is small and light, and comes apart, so storage is easy
  • It wasn't too bad to put together, but I was kinda tripping that I had to put it together at all (con:lachen:)
  • It fits on the counter and has nice rubber grips so the baby doesn't move (see pics, click for larger)
  • Heats well (not too hot, but plenty of steam) and steam flows up and out of hood, so no steam down all around in your face
  • Comes with a little facial steamer attachment that you can use for facial steaming as well instead of the hood (pleasant surprise:yep:) (see pics)
  • Even with the cheaper materials, it worked well...made for a nice lightweight product
  • Hood detaches easily, so I could wash out the conditioner residue that was at the top and on the sides. I just rinsed mine right in the tub (see pics)
  • Has enough steam from the MAX line for about a 25 minute steam. Steam came pretty quickly as easily
  • There is an ion switch you can flip on/off independently of the power for ionic steam:yep:
CONS:
  • I had to put it together:lachen:, and the directions were in that broken english (there was an asian woman on the box...you make you own assumptions...)
  • I was expecting something a little more solid, but the hood was made up of these little flexible clear blue plastic pieces that you snapped together, once snapped together though it was OK. If you drop the hood, though, you'll prolly be snapping them things back together and fixin the hood:blush:
  • There is no height adjustment, so you have to get old school and pull out the telephone books (or a shorter stool) if you're taller like me
  • Since the steam flowed up and out, the nape of my neck didn't really get any steam, I had to keep tilting my head at odd angles to try and get the steam there.
I did my protein DC and my hair came out SO soft but felt STRONG, not on the hard side like usual when I do protein treatments. I didn't do the stuff to it today that usually makes my hair on the silky side, so I'll have to test that later. Also I had no alarms going off, but I only used it once.

All in all, FM gives it :thumbsup:!

Attachments

• 100_5152 paint.JPG
    100_5152 paint.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_5154 paint.JPG
    100_5154 paint.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_5155 paint.JPG
    100_5155 paint.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

AfroKink

Excellent.

As long as they're in stock next month when I'm in NY, I'll be happy:grin:

Question, are their adjustable settings? or is it just "steam" and "off"?
Lys

coilynapp

I really like it!!! :woohoo2: At first I was nervous bc the box was kinda small and looked a little worn inside the brown cardboard box they shipped it in...I also kind freaking out bc at first I couldn't find the hood, but as it turns out, you have to piece it together...

PROS:
  • It wasn't too bad to put together, but I was kinda tripping that I had to put it together at all (con:lachen:)
  • It fits on the counter and has nice rubber grips so the baby doesn't move (see pics, click for larger)
  • Heats well (not too hot, but plenty of steam) and steam flows up and out of hood, so no steam down all around in your face
  • Comes with a little facial steamer attachment that you can use for facial steaming as well instead of the hood (pleasant surprise:yep:) (see pics)
  • Even with the cheaper materials, it worked well...made for a nice lightweight product
  • Hood detaches easily, so I could wash out the conditioner residue that was at the top and on the sides. I just rinsed mine right in the tub (see pics)
  • Has enough steam from the MAX line for about a 25 minute steam. Steam came pretty quickly as easily
  • There is an ion switch you can flip on/off independently of the power for ionic steam:yep:
CONS:
  • I had to put it together:lachen:, and the directions were in that broken english (there was an asian woman on the box...you make you own assumptions...)
  • I was expecting something a little more solid, but the hood was made up of these little flexible clear blue plastic pieces that you snapped together, once snapped together though it was OK. If you drop the hood, though, you'll prolly be snapping them things back together and fixin the hood:blush:
  • There is no height adjustment, so you have to get old school and pull out the telephone books (or a shorter stool) if you're taller like me
  • Since the steam flowed up and out, the nape of my neck didn't really get any steam, I had to keep tilting my head at odd angles to try and get the steam there.
I did my protein DC and my hair came out SO soft but felt STRONG, not on the hard side like usual when I do protein treatments. I didn't do the stuff to it today that usually makes my hair on the silky side, so I'll have to test that later. Also I had no alarms going off, but I only used it once.

I like it too. I figured out why my water was not steaming. You have to make the water a little salty. I realised that I had put a pinch (like 3-4 crystals) of sea salt the first time I used it (they say use a 1/4 tsp...h*ll NO). I was trying to get away without putting salt in my water, but anyway so I put again 3-4 crystals of salt and it worked again no problem. I think the little thin metal wire hanging down detects the ions in the salt and it begins to boil (I don't know). In any case, I love this little machine, it's well worth the investment.

BTW I emailed them to ask what was wrong with it not boiling and they were prompt to reply with the salt thing. So now I know that you must put at least some salt (and for me a teeny tiny bit works)

FindingMe

What does the ion option do?

Lys

The ionic process is supposed to bathe your hair in negative ions, which then attach to positively charged wet hair, and locks in moisture. When you turn it on, it uses the negative ions to raise the efficiency of your hair to retain/restore it's natural water balance via the steam... I think just makes the process work better.

Ionic hair dryers use this negative ion stuff, too, and it's supposed to make the hair sleeker and shinier and debatably dry faster bc the hair is optimally charged to retain the maximum amount of moisture even through the heat drying process...

sunshinebeautiful

PROS:
CONS:

I'm jealous. It sounds like a pretty good deal for the amount that you paid + it's a tabletop. When they get them in stock again, I'm buying.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: @ the broken english in the manual - with the Asian lady on the front!

sunshinebeautiful

The ionic process is supposed to bathe your hair in negative ions, which then attach to positively charged wet hair, and locks in moisture. When you turn it on, it uses the negative ions to raise the efficiency of your hair to retain/restore it's natural water balance via the steam... I think just makes the process work better.

Ionic hair dryers use this negative ion stuff, too, and it's supposed to make the hair sleeker and shinier and debatably dry faster bc the hair is optimally charged to retain the maximum amount of moisture even through the heat drying process...

Ooooooohhhhh now this ion stuff sounds REALLY good!!!!

MissRissa

thanks for the review FindingMe. I'm so pressed for this steamer but I wanted to make sure someone else purchased it and liked it first because that website was just a little too bootleg for me. i think i shall be purchasing as soon as they are in stock.

FindingMe

thanks for the review FindingMe. I'm so pressed for this steamer but I wanted to make sure someone else purchased it and liked it first because that website was just a little too bootleg for me. i think i shall be purchasing as soon as they are in stock.

:lachen::lachen:Girl, I know I had to 'just close my eyes and step off the ledge' to purchase 'cause that broken english was just killing me...:lachen::lachen:But the prduct seems to be good, like it was manufactured for small tight spaces and storage, but again seems to be working fine.

FindingMe

I like it too. I figured out why my water was not steaming. You have to make the water a little salty. I realised that I had put a pinch (like 3-4 crystals) of sea salt the first time I used it (they say use a 1/4 tsp...h*ll NO). I was trying to get away without putting salt in my water, but anyway so I put again 3-4 crystals of salt and it worked again no problem. I think the little thin metal wire hanging down detects the ions in the salt and it begins to boil (I don't know). In any case, I love this little machine, it's well worth the investment.

BTW I emailed them to ask what was wrong with it not boiling and they were prompt to reply with the salt thing. So now I know that you must put at least some salt (and for me a teeny tiny bit works)

I just bought a gallon of distilled water from my local grocery and used it without salt. It steamed up fine for me and relatively quickly, too. Lord...let me go back and read these directions again...:look:

AtlantaJJ

Just wanted to mention that Tyte Curlz was able to get a deal on a standing steamer for 135 dollars. A few ladies have already poseted how great this steamer is on this thread. If your interested Tyte curlz does have a thread posted with all the info.

I want this model, I have to hunt down the information on where to purchase it from. I'll stash it in the laundry room when I'm not using it!! :yep:

Cassandra1975

Wow, I just got an email from hair-only.com, following up to the mail I sent weeks ago, telling them that the online ordering was not working. They emailed to let me know that it was now up and running. I had forgotten that I even emailed them. That was nice of them to follow up. I may have to get one of those steamers from them when they are back in stock. :yep:

Morenita

I'm looking into purchasing a hair steamer... Does anyone have one? What brand? And where did you buy it from? I'm hesitant to buy right now because I would like to hear a few reviews before I hand over my money. :look: Also, is there such a thing as a tabletop hair steamer?

ETA: Came back into add where ladies have been purchasing their steamers.

Ebay - the auctions change all the time so keep checking them out. Do a search for hair steamers and some should pop up.

AJamericanDiva mentioned buying hers from BeautyBeautyUSA. Here's the link to her post.

Not sure if this is still valid, but TyteCurlz negotiated a steamer deal last month. You can probably do the same as her and contact the company directly. The thread is here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=222197&highlight=steamer

Tabletop steamer: http://hair-only.com/hair-care.html

Yet another steamer: http://www.evasalons.com/store/inde..._id=37&zenid=59613f43c96cede8afe205a238f427b3

LadyEsquire was so nice to list a bunch of websites to purchase steamers in post #29.

There were rumors of a Pibbs steamer deal but no confirmation. If you've got a little cash to spend: http://www.salonequipmentusa.com/132.htm

Thank you for doing this!! :yep: I've been looking into steamers for a couple weeks now but haven't decided on one yet. I would really like the PIBBS, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $500 on a STEAMER. Just doesn't seem like there should be a big enough difference between a Pibbs and a similar model besides the name brand.

Anywho~ Has anyone reviewed the one from Eva Salons? (ProHair Steamer) This is the one I'm interested in. Its around the same cost as the tabletop model that some ladies purchased from Haironly, but it looks like it has more features/is more sturdy.

This will be my mother's day gift from DH, since I get to choose :grin: (and some of those Flexi-8 clips that I've been eyeing ever since I saw Chicelle's Fotki :lick:)

AtlantaJJ

Thank you for doing this!! :yep: I've been looking into steamers for a couple weeks now but haven't decided on one yet. I would really like the PIBBS, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $500 on a STEAMER. Just doesn't seem like there should be a big enough difference between a Pibbs and a similar model besides the name brand.

Anywho~ Has anyone reviewed the one from Eva Salons? (ProHair Steamer) This is the one I'm interested in. Its around the same cost as the tabletop model that some ladies purchased from Haironly, but it looks like it has more features/is more sturdy.

This will be my mother's day gift from DH, since I get to choose :grin: (and some of those Flexi-8 clips that I've been eyeing ever since I saw Chicelle's Fotki :lick:)

Would you happen to have a link to the steamer you are refering to? TIA :yep: