Ladies who use STEAMERS....

~Hair~Fetish~

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a steamer, and was trying to figure out the best kind to buy... (tabletop, free-standing, which brand, etc). For the ladies who have steamers, can you please give reviews and where purchased? Are they only available on-line?

Also, how often do you steam? For how long? Do you use a plastic cap? Have you experienced a noticeable difference in the health of your hair since steaming? Pros/cons?

Any info/advice would be lovely. :spinning: TIA!

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a steamer, and was trying to figure out the best kind to buy... (tabletop, free-standing, which brand, etc). For the ladies who have steamers, can you please give reviews and where purchased? Are they only available on-line?

Also, how often do you steam? For how long? Do you use a plastic cap? Have you experienced a noticeable difference in the health of your hair since steaming? Pros/cons?

Any info/advice would be lovely. :spinning: TIA!

I bought mine online here:
http://www.evasalons.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=37

I've only seen them ordered online. I've never seen one in a BSS here in Houston. I use mine once or twice a month without a plastic cap. I haven't noticed a big difference in my hair.

Pro- may leave your hair feeling more moisturized

Con- you need to have sufficient storage to put it away.

I bought mine from a dealer in my area ( I live in Atlanta)...

It is a D-500 steamer but I have not been able to locate the brand name...

Hands down I would say this was my best purchase (of any sort) of 2008.

I steam about once a month now... initially it was weekly.

I decided to buy a tabletop steamer only because I live in a small apartment and did not have the additional space to store the standing steamer. I bought mine off of Amazon.

ETA: I just bought one, but haven't used it just yet.

I got the table top steamer too, I ordered mine from hair-only.com. I use mine every 2 weeks and I really notice a difference in the moisture level of my hair. I also steam whenever I'm deep into my stretch and need to loosen the new growth.

Here is another question for the ladies who steam... do you steam your naked hair or hair that's coated in conditioner? or both?

I bought mine online here:
http://www.evasalons.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=37

I've only seen them ordered online. I've never seen one in a BSS here in Houston. I use mine once or twice a month without a plastic cap. I haven't noticed a big difference in my hair.

Pro- may leave your hair feeling more moisturized

Con- you need to have sufficient storage to put it away.
Oh wow, this looks like a good deal. Sad it's out of stock. I'm definitely investing in one this year.

I received the EvaSalons steamer as a Christmas gift and used it for the first time today. It was easy to assemble (10 minutes) and worked great. I am very happy with it so far.

Oh wow, this looks like a good deal. Sad it's out of stock. I'm definitely investing in one this year.

Here is another question for the ladies who steam... do you steam your naked hair or hair that's coated in conditioner? or both?

With conditioner - when your cuticles are open it allows the conditioner to really penetrate instead of sitting on top of the hair...

HTH

I bought the PIBBS steamer. After conditioner is applied, I put on a plastic cap and go under for about 30 minutes. My hair is softer and better conditioned than it ever was after conditioning under any dryer. I also lose less hair when I detangle after steaming.

HOWEVER, my honest opinion is that any machine that produces substantial steam will be just as effective as the Pibbs. If I had to do it again, I'd spend between $100-$200 dollars on quality equipment. Max.

HTH

Ok, so I'm wondering about the plastic cap thing... I was under the impression that if you wear a plastic cap while steaming, then the steam isn't getting to your hair, just the heat from the steam.

Does everyone use a plastic cap?

Ok, so I'm wondering about the plastic cap thing... I was under the impression that if you wear a plastic cap while steaming, then the steam isn't getting to your hair, just the heat from the steam.

It isn't. Steam should be used Directly on hair with conditioner/oils/etc on it..

I bought mine from a dealer in my area ( I live in Atlanta)...

It is a D-500 steamer but I have not been able to locate the brand name...

Hands down I would say this was my best purchase (of any sort) of 2008.

I steam about once a month now... initially it was weekly.

OK, so I'm all excited and called them today, but they are currently out of stock... said to check back in a few weeks. :sad: Me and my "want it now" self can't wait 3 weeks! :lachen:

Some swear yes and others no about using the plastic cap. I finally called Pibbs and asked. They said that it can be done either way, but that most stylists lean toward using the cap and believe it provides maximum moisture. I wear the cap so the conditioner + moisture combo doesn't drip on me.

Last edited:
Some swear yes and others no about using the plastic cap. I finally called Pibbs and asked. They said that it can be done either way, but that most stylists lean toward using the cap and believe it provides maximum moisture. I wear the cap so the conditioner + moisture combo doesn't drip on me.

hmmm.... to cap or not to cap, that is the question :lachen:

My stylist put me under the steamer with conditioner but without a cap.

I can't wait to get my own:yahoo:.

OK so I just completed my first steam treatment ever. :yay:

I was under the impression that you were supposed to use it without a plastic cap. Well, I went capless and water was dripping everywhere, so I see the logic in using a cap. Plus my hair is nowhere near long, but if it was, I don't see how you could get all the hair up under the steamer unless you pinned it up.

I rollerset and am sitting underneath the dryer now. I'm anxious to see the final results. :yep:

I just finished under the dryer.

Wow. My hair is deliciously moisturized. There is no better way to describe it. I have definitely never gotten this type of result from a regular DC.

For me, steaming is a keeper. Now I just have to figure out how often I will incorporate into my regimen. Hmmmm.... :scratchch:

I just finished under the dryer.

Wow. My hair is deliciously moisturized. There is no better way to describe it. I have definitely never gotten this type of result from a regular DC.

For me, steaming is a keeper. Now I just have to figure out how often I will incorporate into my regimen. Hmmmm.... :scratchch:
I'm glad you like the results. I'm gonna purchase one now also.

Hmmmm.... Has anyone else noticed this? Does steaming do something to your new growth? I have a lot of new growth on my head, due to a relaxer that didn't take :yawn:, and it seems like steaming does something to the newgrowth because I was able to get my roots extra straight this time with just a rollerset.

Back